Jump to content

Who has bought some new shoes


gj
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Speak for yourself, my friend! I am notoriously easy on shoes, at least in theory. I am still convinced that the only reason I've broken so many high heels is because I stubbornly insist on walking in shoes that really aren't meant to be walked in. Oddly enough, I've never actually broken a heel, it's always been the shank, without fail. No pun intended.

Haha, Ok, for being easy on heels you seem to kill enough of them.

Most heel wearing women weigh under 150 lbs, overweight women do wear heels but in a much lower percentage. Most men wearing heels weigh more than 150 lbs. As such by nature are harder on their heels. Most working women are doing things that are harder on their heels. I know I speak in general terms but it's a general observation.

32 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Speak for yourself, my friend! I am notoriously easy on shoes, at least in theory. I am still convinced that the only reason I've broken so many high heels is because I stubbornly insist on walking in shoes that really aren't meant to be walked in. Oddly enough, I've never actually broken a heel, it's always been the shank, without fail. No pun intended.

Haha, Ok, for being easy on heels you seem to kill enough of them.

Most heel wearing women weigh under 150 lbs, overweight women do wear heels but in a much lower percentage. Most men wearing heels weigh more than 150 lbs. As such by nature are harder on their heels. Most "working" women are doing things that are harder on their heels. I know I speak in general terms but it's a general observation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I tried these on at Nordstrom Rack today.  Sam Edelman Adaline sandals.  They fit my forefoot better than anything I've tried on in quite some time.  Unfortunately, they were white, very strappy, and higher than I am comfortable wearing, which means the chances of me ever wearing them in public were nil.  The description says heels are 4", but I know I can handle 4", and these felt considerably higher than that.  Too bad.  Even if I had more opportunity to just wear them at home I probably would have bought them at the $59 price, but it just didn't make sense.

17321907_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1&wid=1230&hei=1500&fit=fit,1&$filterxlrg$

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice sandals, Ron, but I can understand you not wanting to wear them in public (heel height aside).   Don't you take a ruler on your shopping trips to check heels on anything that catches your eye?   I see them listed elsewhere at 4.5".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Don't you take a ruler on your shopping trips to check heels on anything that catches your eye? 

LOL.  One sales associate at a shoe boutique has a ruler just for me.  If I interested in a heel out comes the ruler, she knows I want a 4 inch difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RonC said:

I tried these on at Nordstrom Rack today.  Sam Edelman Adaline sandals.  They fit my forefoot better than anything I've tried on in quite some time.  Unfortunately, they were white, very strappy, and higher than I am comfortable wearing, which means the chances of me ever wearing them in public were nil.  The description says heels are 4", but I know I can handle 4", and these felt considerably higher than that.  Too bad.  Even if I had more opportunity to just wear them at home I probably would have bought them at the $59 price, but it just didn't make sense.

 

If it makes you feel any better, it would go against even my first inclination to wear these sandals on account of their color. That's probably a thing I need to get over. Although my shoe collection is predominantly black, brown, or tan, I do have some bright colors now which I've found to be perfectly comfortable for me to wear, and yet I maintain this bias against white as being too much. Especially, as you say, in a configuration like the above sandal.

On edit: Also, like Cali says, you have to measure yourself to get a correct heel height. I suspect that when they say 4 inch, it's in like my size, not your size. Also, some places measure heels from the side, rather than the back, which can make a huge difference depending on heel placement, which is why I never measure from the side, even though there is some logic to it.

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't carry a ruler, though I can't say I've never thought about it.  At least for size 11, I do believe these were 4.5" easy.

A little research online shows that these are also available in black.  While better than white, it is still a style that, while I really like them, I would not feel comfortable wearing in public.  Add the heel being a bit high for me and they are, unfortunately, as no go for me.  Too bad, as they fit my foot well!  Most often a size 11 with narrow straps such as these would cut my toes pretty badly.  These did not.  They had enough width for my cloddy foot.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RonC said:

I don't carry a ruler, though I can't say I've never thought about it.  At least for size 11, I do believe these were 4.5" easy.

A little research online shows that these are also available in black.  While better than white, it is still a style that, while I really like them, I would not feel comfortable wearing in public.  Add the heel being a bit high for me and they are, unfortunately, as no go for me.  Too bad, as they fit my foot well!  Most often a size 11 with narrow straps such as these would cut my toes pretty badly.  These did not.  They had enough width for my cloddy foot.

Sounds perfect for me then. 4.5" is the lowest I will go in heels.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RonC said:

I don't carry a ruler, though I can't say I've never thought about it.  At least for size 11, I do believe these were 4.5" easy.

A little research online shows that these are also available in black.  While better than white, it is still a style that, while I really like them, I would not feel comfortable wearing in public.  Add the heel being a bit high for me and they are, unfortunately, as no go for me.  Too bad, as they fit my foot well!  Most often a size 11 with narrow straps such as these would cut my toes pretty badly.  These did not.  They had enough width for my cloddy foot.

 

3 hours ago, Chorlini said:

Sounds perfect for me then. 4.5" is the lowest I will go in heels.

What works for somebody doesn't work for others.

@RonC you don't need a ruler, a small measuring tape works well too.  I know how long some of my fingers are, so I can get a good idea how high the heels are.  The associate at the boutique wants to see how close my estimate comes.  (Length measurement is rooted in body parts, a fact that got a ticket dismissed.)

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A dodge I have used when checking-out heels is to have a ballpoint pen mark on my thumb at (say) 4.5" from the tip.   I can then judge heel height quite well within the 4 - 5" range.   But a small pocket tape measure is certyainly useful, if sometimes a little cumbersome for discreet use.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

A dodge I have used when checking-out heels is to have a ballpoint pen mark on my thumb at (say) 4.5" from the tip.   I can then judge heel height quite well within the 4 - 5" range.   But a small pocket tape measure is certyainly useful, if sometimes a little cumbersome for discreet use.

Hahaha, this is all so familiar to me. I have used the "knowing a certain spot on my finger" method many times in the past, but at the time it was merely out of curiosity, as I would have never been allowed to buy high heels for myself back in those days. I understand the desire for discretion. Today, I would just whip out a tape measure and find out what I want to know. I am afforded a lot of freedom in that respect.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been buying lower heels as of late, preparing for some event that may never happen. Somehow or other, I've gotten along with the lower heels I already have, and it does seem like the last few purchases I've made have been at the high and less practical end of the spectrum.

The reason I bought these particular shoes is that I've been looking for this particular model (Söfft Calvados) for several years. I had a pair in black quite some time ago, but elected to get rid of them because the metal rings had become so tarnished that the shoes were simply not suitable to wear in public. I do have a similar pair that I don't know the model name of. They have identical unit bottoms, but the cut of the upper is simply not as attractive as the Calvados model pictured here. Also, they have become quite worn, the leather is starting to curl, and have obvious sweat stains on them. When I saw this pair which evidently has never been worn, I jumped at the chance.

The reason I like this particular model is because despite the fact that they are near-stiletto, they have such a balance to them that you can do just about anything in these shoes, including sprint. You literally could go jogging in these shoes, if you were so inclined. There is a 3 inch difference between toe and heel, 3 5/8" heel, 5/8" platform, but they honestly feel like flats, in a way that other shoes of similar height do not. They are rather snug fitting,  so although they are mules, you can actually run in them. Or just walk fast and easily.

CalvadosSnowsm.jpg

CalvadosTop.jpg

CalvadosSide.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rather like those.  They sure do look like they'd be comfortable.  Nearly wedge like but with a nice thin heel shape.  However, I have a real problem keeping slide type shoes on my feet.  I can say for sure that I wouldn't be able to run in them...lol!  Good luck in finding a pair in size 11 though.  Nothing like this in the current Sofft lineup.  Everything is chunky, and with rare exception lower than these heels.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

RonC  , Have you ever tried a pair of slides ? I didn't care much for them either at first . One of my neighbors told me she loved them because they were so easy to wear and looked way better than the old ugly a$$ flip flops . She even bet me if I didn't like them she would pay me back the cost of them . Needless to say , I had to try a pair . I got my pair ( wedges ) from Lane Bryant . Although they don't look near as good as mlroseplant's , mine are canvas with a knot on top . I wear those around the house when I can't get out much . They have become like slippers for me . On a side note I can't run in any of my heels at all . 😀 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RonC said:

I rather like those.  They sure do look like they'd be comfortable.  Nearly wedge like but with a nice thin heel shape.  However, I have a real problem keeping slide type shoes on my feet.  I can say for sure that I wouldn't be able to run in them...lol!  Good luck in finding a pair in size 11 though.  Nothing like this in the current Sofft lineup.  Everything is chunky, and with rare exception lower than these heels.  

I'm getting a sense of déjà vu. Like @maninpumps said, they're very easy to wear, but I seem to recall a conflict between your sense of style and your need for functionality. There are two basic types of slides, or open toed mules, as I denominate them. There is the single band type, which are the kind that make a lot of noise when you walk, much like an ordinary thong-type flip flop. Those are often hard to keep on while walking and going about your daily business, but they are perhaps the most iconic type of mule, particularly when they have any sort of substantial heel. They are also typically quite easy to slip on and off, as you can imagine.

The other main type, an example of which is my new pair, is the two band type. Sometimes there are more than two bands. Sometimes there is but a single piece of leather that extends higher up on the foot, but the principal is the same--there is more upper leather for grippage. Mules of this type do not "flap" when you walk, and unless your foot is way, way too skinny for the shoe, you would be very hard pressed to kick one of these off, or leave it behind accidentally. This model of Sofft sandal is particularly snug fitting around the instep (at least on my foot), which is why I'm able to run in them. They do not come off until they are purposefully taken off. The disadvantage to this is that they're not necessarily as convenient if you're in a situation where you need to remove and replace your shoes often. Perhaps this only applies to Asian households, though I know plenty of Western households who require or at least request shoe removal at the front door.

As to what's available in size 11, I wouldn't buy anything Sofft makes in their current lineup either for style reasons, but a quick perusal of ebay turned up this Belicia model, something I have owned before and worn completely out. In fact, I had them in black and tan at one time. This model, like the ones I just bought, is probably 10 years old. These might not be your style, but I'm just saying there is stuff out there on ebay and Poshmark, you just have to keep looking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sofft-Women-s-Tan-Leather-Sandal-Size-11/112622234754?hash=item1a38ceec82:g:A3sAAOSwJtdZ9kz8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for not being more specific . This is the style I am referring , they are the exact style I have . Mine are a size 11 wide . 

 ebay.com/itm/NWOT-Lane-Bryant-womens-size-7w-Wedge-shoes-slip-on-fabric-bow-striped-3-5-heel/233892943281?hash=item36751b15b1:g:R04AAOSw1i

Edited by maninpumps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2021 at 5:12 PM, maninpumps said:

RonC  , Have you ever tried a pair of slides ?

Yes, I have.  That's how I figured out that I couldn't keep them on my foot.

On 2/17/2021 at 5:26 AM, mlroseplant said:

The other main type, an example of which is my new pair, is the two band type. Sometimes there are more than two bands. Sometimes there is but a single piece of leather that extends higher up on the foot, but the principal is the same--there is more upper leather for grippage.

I agree with that.  I have tried on a couple pair of this type and I did feel like I probably could have worn them comfortably.  There was a pair at Sears few years back that weren't totally different from your that I actually gave serious consideration to buying.  But I couldn't pass up the strappy stiletto sandals I ended up buying instead 8)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Steve Madden Estrellas are my 'run errand heels'. they slide on but I need to pull them off. The gel pad I use in them helps to hold my foot from slipping down and it also helps my heels from slipping off. (These must have several hundred miles on them already and I have another pair still in their box.)  Love these wedges!!!!

muleshh.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're my beaters.  We all need beaters.  But I can jog in these.

I got these in 2016 and I have worn them and worn them and ... since.  They are just so comfortable. They sold out before I could get a third pair

 

oldSMh.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chrigi-ch said:

After a very long time of searching

finally I found my heels of dream

Zanotti‘s Denny in EU43

ue6-2h-a90e.jpg
 

ue6-2g-2d5c.jpg

Wow. Absolutely stunning heels

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decided that while out and about in 4” heels can be fun, if I am going to be wearing them more often I should also get a practical pair. Got a deal on a pair of Cole Haan ‘Grand Ambition’ pumps in black leather. They are well padded and have a 3” heel. They feel low, considering the pair I wore to the mall to try them had 3-5/8” heels. Sales girl seemed amazed at how at ease I am in heels. *shrug*

250CD0F2-D886-48EF-B1CD-2998F6F06473.jpeg

  • Like 2

(formerly known as "JimC")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely something to be said for a pair of comfortable heels, especially if doing any amount of walking in them.  Nice looking pump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using High Heel Place, you agree to our Terms of Use.