Spike Heels Or Chunkys?

Curt

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I've never been a fan of chunky heels as I find them cloddish, bulky and unattractive, not at all streamlined and sexy like a spike heel.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I honestly don't like the look of a chunky heel, on myself anyway. I also don't like the feel of them in a higher heel. I find spikes much more comfortable to wear and walk in. They just feel more natural because they put the impact force under the heel rather than behind it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

If the boots are well designed chunky heels have their place. I like them on boots that I wear more often outside. Heels are up to 4 inch. My issue with spiked heels is that due to my hefty 210lbs and 6 feet they can't be that spiky or they are unstable for me. For everything higher than 4 inch spikes are a must.

I think JeffB's term "streamline" hit it on the head. I feel the aesthetic - the graceful tapered lines that dominate the design, are betrayed by a chunky or block style heel.

I wore the "clunky" heels back in the 70's during the disco era and they were a little like wearing blocks on your feet. But they were high heels and fun to wear. The more feminine, streamline styles are definitely prettier and especially sexier. And they are more fun to wear and walk about in them.

I prefer chunky heels because I like heels but I don't want to wear highly feminine shoes. My body build is stocky and I don't like the way I look in stilettos - too top heavy. If I were skinny, I'd feel differently about that. I much prefer my look in chunky heels, block heels, stacked heels, or at least thicker tapered heels, from 2-4 inches high. I go for clogs, sandals, boots/booties, and loafers. Pumps (which show the instep and perhaps toe cleavage) are too feminine for my comfort level. I also avoid frills, jewels, thin straps, shiny metal, patent leather, and bright colors (red, yellow, orange, green, royal blue), as they scream "look at me!" I want the heel height but not necessarily the attention, so I usually wear longer pants or jeans to cover the top part of the heel. With sandals I often wear nail polish, but usually clear or very light pink which matches my skin color and doesn't look female. Those are my preferences. Everyone is different here, but respect for others' preferences should be the common denominator. Steve

It has to be a thin heel or a wedge for me.

There are some types of heels that Look.. ' meh ' and dont really draw much attention from myself because the size of the heel itself ( width/circumference , not height ) is just ' to big '. I think pictures will better explain it..

Examples : ' Meh '

PG.60166715.JJ169F8.PZ.jpg

' Ok '

PG.NWCARESS.BLACKPA.PZ.jpg

Im not into platforms but..

' Meh ' I wouldnt be caught DEAD wearing these bricks :

PG.NWMELLITTA.BLACKPA.PZ.jpg

Now these?

PG.79930975.JJ169C1.RZ.jpg

They still have a platform, but they arent ' clunky '. The heel itself is sleeker and looks so much more stylish.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

What is it about chunky heels that people don't seem to like about them?

Do more people like stilletos more?

The older disco style big block heels were terrible to wear as far as I was concerned. It wasn't that they were hard to wear, just felt like chunky blocks to me. Since I have worn a western style boot for yesars, I found the underslung and slightly narrower heels to be much easier to wear all day, and have for years. Finding these styles locally has been a problem although my recent jaunt to Gatlinburg proved to me they still exist. Next time I'm in that neck of the woods, I'm going boot shopping for sure.

In womens boots, I'm not so sure a spike is in the plan for me right now. I have a few with smaller shapped stacked heels, and those fit my style (not that I have any) just fine. With shoes, I'm trending toward a spike heel, or a narrow wedge. I do prefer a platform when the height gets over 3 1/2" slope, but that's just me. For some reason, single soles just magnify every small obstruction and telegraph it right to the ball of my foot.

Edited by Heelster

It has to be a thin heel or a wedge for me.

There are some types of heels that Look.. ' meh ' and dont really draw much attention from myself because the size of the heel itself ( width/circumference , not height ) is just ' to big '. I think pictures will better explain it..

Im not into platforms but..

' Meh ' I wouldnt be caught DEAD wearing these bricks :

PG.NWMELLITTA.BLACKPA.PZ.jpg

I like those! Have a pair very similar. Usually I prefer thinner heels though. :)

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I've never been a fan of chunky heels as I find them cloddish, bulky and unattractive, not at all streamlined and sexy like a spike heel.

What he said.

I think some chunky heels can look quite funky., especially with bootcut/flared trousers. I draw the line at "clunky" rather than "chunky" and I also find super-skinny stiletto heels too thin for me. That's just me though, it's great to see others pulling off whatever style works for them.

If you like it, wear it.

I have always preferred thinner heels, I feel they are much easier to walk in, less clumsy and have far better balance. The result of the more stable gait to me is likely to draw less attention to the fact that I am walking with no undue effort. Also my problem with plaforms is they have no bend on the ball of the foot and tend to make me, people in general, more bouncy when walking. I will always prefer the thinner stiletto style, 4-4.75" hell with classic soles. I do have some 5" and higher heels that seem to walk OK but my stride becomes much shorter and again unnatural.

There are good points made about one's build and that a stocky build may be more conducive to wearing chunky heels over stilettoes. While I adore stiletto heels I tend to favor equally as high wedge sandals in the warmer months. I have a fair number of both pumps and platform sandals with wider chunky heels which I have worn more in the fall or early winter months. It's all in what you want to rock a certain day. Chunky heels may be best for walking on more uneven pavements or bars and restaurants whereas stilettoes may be much better in refined situations like dining in good restaurants, a night at the movies, and certainly upscale shopping in places like Nordstroms, Macys, or the downtown area of a very large city. Women, and men, wearing shoes with stiletto heels, get instantly better service in presciely these venues. Wedges are the best if attending a backyard party, an outdoor wedding on grass, or if going to the park or beach. It all depends on what the wearer has in mind that day. HappyinHeels

For me, a "chunkier" heel does well. But a lot of the styles the past few years have had more slender heels. So what to do? I now own several pairs of sandals with slender "kitten" type heels that I wear in public regularly. Not my preference, but have to go with the "trends." ha ha.... Just like a lemming I guess... Take care all, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I started out with a chunky heel because it gave more stability. Then I progressed to the spike heel. I practice alot on the spike heels. I can walk fairly smooth and confident in them. I really like the slimness of a long heel preferably a round shaft. I put my chunky heels on the other day and immediatly switched back to the spike heels for comfort and looks.

Chunky heels are really good for "Discreet" heeling, and pretty much look good with an ensemble of male outfits. However, I personally am more attracted to wearing stiletto type heels and wear these more often

For me it depends on the style of shoe. Somne styles look really cute with a chunky heel(loafers or boots), some look cute with a slim heel(classic pumps). Maryjanes can go either way but I like 'em in the middle of the two.

I much prefer a thin heel, but as others have stated, when I'm out in heels, it's going be in a chunky heel shoe. Just not up for wearing a pair of spike heels, and I also don't think they look real good on a heavier body such as mine. In a perfect world, however, see my avatar!

For me, I prefer a solid heel in male atire for public heeling. They are less feminine and goes well with male clothing. When doing a lot of walking, a solid heel is more suitable, it also helps strengthen calf muscles, where as it is less likely to do a lot of walking in stilletos. I still like stilletos for around home and private use. In general, stilletos are less common both male and female but more common on female for going out of and evening, likewise for men, stilletos would look out of place as normal day wear when everyone else is wearing block heels or maybe flats. block heels of various shapes and design suit more occasions outdoors

Blacksheep

I believe there is a combination of physical comfort and emotional comfort. Physically the heel height itself is the same regardless of style of heel. I find a taller heels feel better with a stiletto than a chunkier heel. It would take me ages to explain why, but experience has led me to this opinion. The practicality issue comes it to it as well, because skinny heels can be a real nuisance to wear in a great deal of everyday situations I encounter. Chunkier heels and platforms are heavier on your feet and have much less flexibility. Emotionally - everyone has a different comfort level to do with their image. I love the profile of a classic high heel silhouette. For me personally it depends on what I am wearing. I openly wear heels most of the time. I don't like how I look wearing a trouser suit or pants with stilettos, yet I do find lower heels and wedges look ok on me with trousers. When I wear skirts or dresses then I wear stiletto heels. A stiletto is not everyones cup of tea as it is an attention grabber, and any person who slips on a pair of stilettos is 'asking' for attention. Despite the challenges I adore my heels, and I spend at least half my daily life in them. Cheers Heel-Lover

I always prefer skinny heels. There aren't many chunky heels I encountered which I liked, although there are, of course, exceptions. But spike heels are the way to go for me!