Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I can guarantee you a shop selling 'exotic wear' will have no issues with a man trying on heels, they will have seen it many times before.

I agree. If it was a mainstream store, I'd be very reluctant. But an 'exotic' store, as foxyheels stated, almost one of the reasons to buy there to begin with is the ability for anyone to try on anything without judgement. Another thing to consider: an independent store like this probably doesn't have as flexible a return policy. Better to find out as best you can, before you leave the store, if the item fits correctly and/or is what you like. Otherwise, return it before you walk out with it.

Zebraheels,

Your comments support why I shop at Bakers and carry their discount card. I know from chatting with the Milwaukee Bakers store manager that she requires her employees to wear heels for at 2/3 of their shift and many other stores are similar. The Bakers store in Gurnee,IL had a guy named Darrel who worked there for some time who wore heels to and from work. When I asked the store manager how the interaction was with customers I was told it was not only positive but he was one of the lead shoe sellers! I have had very good rapport with Bakers staff in various states and the result is positively euphoric if you enter a Bakers store WEARING some Bakers heels.

HappyinHeels

I have never had a problem at Bakers. I have grown into more expensive shoes over the years, but have very fond memories of shopping at Bakers stores. Most often got great help from the sales girls, and even from the occasional guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your encouraging words! I think you're right. The more I think about trying the shoes on at the shop or walk there in heels the more I would say 'Yes, I can!' :)

If this is any help, some of the first high heels that I bought and still own and wear, I bought at a local exotic boutique. I am now seeing the woman that owns the boutique and sold me the high heels on a regular basis. And I did try them on in front of her and she helped me pick out my first pair of thighboots, which I also tried on in front of her. Good luck and have fun!

Your comments support why I shop at Bakers and carry their discount card. I know from chatting with the Milwaukee Bakers store manager that she requires her employees to wear heels for at 2/3 of their shift and many other stores are similar. The Bakers store in Gurnee,IL had a guy named Darrel who worked there for some time who wore heels to and from work. When I asked the store manager how the interaction was with customers I was told it was not only positive but he was one of the lead shoe sellers! I have had very good rapport with Bakers staff in various states and the result is positively euphoric if you enter a Bakers store WEARING some Bakers heels.

Makes me feel great about applying there now! If it's kind of "mandatory" to wear heels 2/3 of the shift, then count me in! :)

Now to wait for the call...

Formally "HHDude"

I often wear my wedge Cole Haan boots when shoe store shopping. I like the discount stores best with rows of shoes, placed by size. Ill wear my unisex clogs a lot too, but having to unzip my kneehigh boots to try on a pair of heels is thrilling. Of course always hoping to be caught by some very open minded woman who is into a guy wearing heels.

Yesterday I was strolling through one of my favorite outlets and while I was trying on somes heels, the saleslady who knows me came around and whispered "better come again - we will reduce some heels this week - but psssst...! I did not tell you anything" :) This saleslady is great! If I was not married, I would ask her to go out. The first time she was a little bit unsure, how to react. But when she noticed, that I was used to and open minded, the ice was broken. The last time she offered me even hand bags too! So if she sees me in the store she asks only - "I am sure, you can help yourself - as ALWAYS!?" :)

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR SHORT HEELS!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was out shopping this morning. Wore my 3" block heel loafers into the mall and a couple other shoe stores. I tried on several pair at The Shoe Department, Payless, Burlington Coat Facotry, and Famous Footwear. I'm sure that more than one person saw me, but there were no comments and for some reason, I didn;t much care today even if I was seen. Unfortunately, I didn;t see anything I liked enough to buy!

The other day, RadioDave and I got together, had lunch and went shoe shopping. He wore Jessica Simpson black wedge sandals with about a 5" heel and 1" platform, with a wide criss-cross strap over the foot. I wore Naturalizer sandals in midnight blue with a 2" block heel. They had two wide straps over the foot. After lunch at Panera's, where nobody seemed to notice us, we walked over to DSW in the same strip mall. We were greeted cheerfully by the staff, and asked several times over the next hour whether we needed any help finding anything. Dave said he usually is recognized by the staff there, but this was a new crew he hadn't seen before. Anyway, we browsed the store for about an hour or so, looking at all the women's choices - lots of gorgeous shoes. Good thing I'm not a woman or I'd have a house full of shoes and no bank balance!

I finally decided to buy a closeout pair of brown suede BOC clogs ("Aimee" with a 3.5" cuban heel) for half price and a comfortable and very walkable pair of Aerosoles sandals (Rottery Tickey - http://www.shoesgotsole.com/Aerosoles-ROTTERY-TICKET-002-ARS2749.html ) in black. Dave didn't buy anything there. I had no problem trying them on in the store before I bought, to make sure I liked the fit, which I did, very much. While we were in the store, Dave and I both spotted a tween girl and her mother taking phone camera photos of us. No big deal, but it would be nice if they asked first.

So I made my purchases and we went over to Macy's nearby, looked around there for a bit, walked down the mall to Dillard's, looked around there, and finally returned to Macy's where Dave bought a nice pair of gladiator wedges in black. He can tell you more about those if he wants. We were tired from all the walking, so we went back to his place, hung out till a rainstorm was over, then I left, driving home in my new sandals. All in all, it was a great day, lots of fun shopping, getting far fewer looks than I expected, and each of us getting some new shoes we loved. And trying them on in the store was definitely the way to go!

Steve

I was traveling this week and always stop in at a DSW store that I have not been to yet. Kind of a search and find game of mine. I saw these and had to have them. I didn't buy them the 1st time there - but when traveling home - I decided to put some thigh high stockings on and try them on at the store.

I had on dark thigh highs and some slip on man shoes that I could sit down and slid off my man shoes and slide those beautiful pumps on. Felt great and they fit great - they are a size 11 female. I walked up and down the aisle to make sure they fit well. One sales lady came over and said that I had great taste and looked good in them. I thanked her and bought them.

Hope you like,

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/Jeweled%20Heels/SAM_1674Medium.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/Jeweled%20Heels/SAM_1669Medium.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/bernheels/Jeweled%20Heels/SAM_1670Medium.jpg

The other day, RadioDave and I got together, had lunch and went shoe shopping. He wore Jessica Simpson black wedge sandals with about a 5" heel and 1" platform, with a wide criss-cross strap over the foot. I wore Naturalizer sandals in midnight blue with a 2" block heel. They had two wide straps over the foot. After lunch at Panera's, where nobody seemed to notice us, we walked over to DSW in the same strip mall. We were greeted cheerfully by the staff, and asked several times over the next hour whether we needed any help finding anything. Dave said he usually is recognized by the staff there, but this was a new crew he hadn't seen before. Anyway, we browsed the store for about an hour or so, looking at all the women's choices - lots of gorgeous shoes. Good thing I'm not a woman or I'd have a house full of shoes and no bank balance!

I finally decided to buy a closeout pair of brown suede BOC clogs ("Aimee" with a 3.5" cuban heel) for half price and a comfortable and very walkable pair of Aerosoles sandals (Rottery Tickey - http://www.shoesgotsole.com/Aerosoles-ROTTERY-TICKET-002-ARS2749.html ) in black. Dave didn't buy anything there. I had no problem trying them on in the store before I bought, to make sure I liked the fit, which I did, very much. While we were in the store, Dave and I both spotted a tween girl and her mother taking phone camera photos of us. No big deal, but it would be nice if they asked first.

So I made my purchases and we went over to Macy's nearby, looked around there for a bit, walked down the mall to Dillard's, looked around there, and finally returned to Macy's where Dave bought a nice pair of gladiator wedges in black. He can tell you more about those if he wants. We were tired from all the walking, so we went back to his place, hung out till a rainstorm was over, then I left, driving home in my new sandals. All in all, it was a great day, lots of fun shopping, getting far fewer looks than I expected, and each of us getting some new shoes we loved. And trying them on in the store was definitely the way to go!

Steve

Great description Steve and thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great day shoe shopping!

Bernheels

Bern, Thanks for that. Looks like you got quite a pair of shoes, too. RadioDave and I saw those at DSW the other day. They're Sam Edelman's, as I recall. Looked awesome, but I thought they'd wear out the carpet in the car if I drove in them. :irked: Wear them to the next heel meet, Bern. They look great and being as you're a tool and guy kinda guy, those bit and pieces on the heel fit right in with your line of work! LOL. Steve

Bern,

Thanks for that. Looks like you got quite a pair of shoes, too. RadioDave and I saw those at DSW the other day. They're Sam Edelman's, as I recall. Looked awesome, but I thought they'd wear out the carpet in the car if I drove in them. :irked: Wear them to the next heel meet, Bern. They look great and being as you're a tool and guy kinda guy, those bit and pieces on the heel fit right in with your line of work! LOL.

Steve

Interesting observation Steve. Must be what attracted them to me! You nailed it on the brand! They are very comfortable and I will wear them to the next meet!

Thanks, Bern

• 1 month later...

We are in winter's sale season. I've been looking for heeled boots or booties that I can use for my outings. I entered two stores. In the first one I have never tried heels in the store. I asked for two models of cowboy boots which had no zip so could be hard to fit as my arch and insteps are high and the shaft was narrow. I have some shoes and boots from this and they fit perfectly well in length in their biggest size. The girl assisting me brought the long shaft model. When I told her I wanted to try them on she offered me ladies socks so I could fit them better -I didn't need them as I'm usually using ladies socks- and was really helpful. As I suspected, they weren't easy to fit and were really narrow. So she offered me the same model but bootie style. I couldn't manage to fit them either as my instep was too high for them. Then I went to the other store, the one I've bought my last boots and asked the girl there if she had a model I wanted. As she knows me she asked me if I wanted to try them on, and after that she sowed me other models too, with different heel heights and styles. This would have been a normal heel shopping trip. She was so helpful, and acted so naturally with me that I asked her if they had other male clients shopping and trying heels in the store. She said there are plenty of guy buying heels for them. So, even in Argentina, where I thought we were a small group because I never saw guys in heels, males are looking for heels too. She even agreed heels are not a women's passion only. Anyway... If it's not true it surely is a great hook; I'll always go there when buying heels for me from that brand. After that I went to the outlet zone in BA to buy a couple of pumps I'd seen and added a pair of sandals. If you buy two pairs you get 60%/70% discount; if you buy one: no discount. I'll post pictures on the proper posts when I have them.

Majo, You have discovered on your shopping trips what I have learned on mine; that more guys than anyone realizes, apart from retail store sales staff, are buying high heel boots and shoes for themselves and NOT for a woman in their lives. Stores like Bakers, DSW, Steve Madden, and Aldo have a steady stream of guys coming in and buying heels. Many store managers have told me they have had a noticeable increase in the number of requests for size US11 (EU 42) "ladies" shoes. Well, as I wryly put it, it's not as though a horde of large-footed women suddenly have escaped their caves and are rushing into stores rather it's a new group of consumers coming forward. This is why I think the reaction of so many store sales staff is very accommodating when we, the guys tend to be quite nervous about what might happen. It's because they, the sales staff are now used to seeing us. This is exactly the logic members like Shafted, roniheels, JeffB, and others have used to make the point about wearing heels as well. Once the world gets used to it then it simply becomes a part of the background. Thanks for sharing your story (gracias por habernos compartido el cuento). HappyinHeels:wave:

Yes, Happyinheels, shoe store staff makes the whole difference. Actually, it's happened to me several times that the girls attending the stores, when you ask for large numbers, they ask if you want them as a present for somebody or no -usually here, in women's shoes brand stores staff are female and just one male-. If you reply yes, they have the normal attitude when you buy for your SO; but if you reply no, they get more concerned and try to make your feel comfortable and help you choosing styles. Our size scale goes pretty much like the Italian sizing and a 40 is a US10 or 11 depending on styles. There is a new law now, which I believe they are going to reinforce shortly, that says they should bring up sizes 41 and 42 as there are many women with larger feet who aren't able to buy cool shoes. So... I believe many of us will be happy. Majo

...Stores like Bakers, DSW, Steve Madden, and Aldo have a steady stream of guys coming in and

buying heels. Many store managers have told me they have had a noticeable increase in the number of

requests for size US11 (EU 42) "ladies" shoes...

The Aldo store manager in my area is noticing the same trend with male customer buying women's shoes :)

But I never saw any men actually trying shoes in the store while I was there.

...There is a new law now, which I believe they are going to reinforce shortly, that says they should

bring up sizes 41 and 42 as there are many women with larger feet who aren't able to buy cool shoes...

My only hope would be they do the same here in Canada !

I wear women's size US11 (EU41) and many stores only carry up to women size US10 (EU40) :silly:

Fortunately for me some US10 are made larger (more like 11) and they fit me :)

... This is why I think the reaction of so many store sales staff is very accommodating when we, the guys tend to be quite nervous about what might happen...

While it would be nice to think the reason for this is 'acceptance', I wouldn't be so quick to discount a more fundamental reason - commerce. At least in the USA, the economy still isn't that great. A sales agent doesn't need to have an MBA to realize that some extra 'cross-gender' sales might make the diifference between them meeting a sales quota, or the store remaining open, with the possibility the store is closed due to poor sales.

Also, most of the stories of accepting sales agents seem to be at more 'coed' stores: DSW, Payless, Macy's, etc. I wonder if it was at 'female boutique' stores: Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Prada, etc, if their sales agents would be equally as accepting. There might be women shoppers there that aren't comfortable with men trying on heels around them, and express that opinion to the sales agents. That sales agent is going to need to say something to someone that probably won't be received well, I'm not sure if it would be the man or the woman.

jwhite, If you take another at many of my posts there is ample mention of the words "crappy economy" or implied variations of it as I am keenly aware the economy in the United States and western Europe is in bad shape. My point was, and has always been, that any sale these days is a welcome one. As more men come out of the shadows it only stands to reason that shoe store sale staffs all over will be more welcoming to us as we represent a new source of that sorely-needed commerce you spoke of. As for higher-end stores I can tell you many members here have had great service from Nordstrom and I personally had wonderful service earlier this year when shopping in NYC (in heels) and getting a deal on some metallic green platform sandals at the DKNY store there. It was a total VIP experience. I'd say if you were to visit any of those stores mentioned all you need is confidence and just act like you belong there. If these folks can't deal with you on your terms then none of them deserve your business. HappyinHeels

jwhite44, Point well taken my friend. If one does anything often enough a negative experience is bound to happen but I'd say the overwhelming majority of my retail experiences or dining experiences for that matter have been positive. it's all about that commerce. Just go out there and "make money baby". HinH:wavey:

I was at DSW last night and did just the opposite. I wore my 4.5 inch slight platformed knee high boots into the mall, was there for several hours. Anyway I stopped in DSW to buy "mens" loafers for work. I went to the mens section, sat on the flour and pulled my tight fitting boots off to try on the loafers. Once satisfied I got the pair I wanted I put my sexier shoes back on, went to the ladies clearance rack to check out some shoes then paid for the loafers then went on my business. Many people saw but there were no comments.

I was out today, and it is becoming more apparent to me that I am starting to be a bit more brave. First stop was a dosciunt clothier that also has shoes. While their were to workers in the womens section that did put somewhat of a damper on my comfort level, I did try on three different pairs, no of which fit well, unfortunately. From there I went to Shoe Carnival. Less of a comfort zone there,a s there were a lot of women with kids shopping at that time. I did find a pair of Aerosole Wedges that I tried on in the abck of the store. They were quite high with a platform sole as well, and I couldn't believe how easy I could walk in them. They were sandals, however, and I just didn't see myself out and about in sandals just yet. Next was Burlington Coat Factory, where I tried on at least six or seven different shoes, and I know I was seen by several women. No one stopped and stared or said anything at the time, though I'm sure to be part of some stories later! I then went to JC Penny's. Again, a few too many kids around. I asked the clerk if he had a problem with me taking shoes to the dressing room, and he did not, so I had him fetch two pair that I had my eye on. Too snug, unfortunately. Then to a local Payless, which I know has a decent selection of 11 and 12s. I spent at least a half hour there trying to find something I liked that fit decent. Didn't have much luck on the fit, as what would be good on my right foot would fall off of my left. Frustrating! Finally, I decided to try an Avenue store for the first time. While they have but a small shoes section, everything comes in at least 11 wide, and some to 12. The two sales women couldn;t have been nicer about my trying on shoes. However, once again, the fit let me down. In any event, I must have tried on 20 plus pairs of shoes in store today, and I certainly didn't have any issues with anyone. Granted, it's not in the middle of Macy's, but at times there were a few other shoppers. Payless was nice today, as the large size section in toward the end wall of the store in a bit of an alcove, and I was there alone except for the salesgirls that were going in and out of the stockroom area. And they were very friendly and helpful if desired. Unfortunately, it was not a good day in terms of finding something that fit properly. We have been invited to a Lady Gaga party where everyone is supposed to dress as Gaga, so I was looking for something in a platform (which I'm not fond of to begin with) that I knew I could walk decently in as well as be able to wear for a long period. The only shoes that felt comfortable were the more typical dress styles, not the platforms, which because the sole doesn;t flex tend to pull off of my heels when I walk. I don't like that feeling at all, so I took a pass so far. Almost bought a pair of regular dress heels at Payless, peep toe pumps, but decided I really didn;t need them. And the Aerosoles that I mentioned earlier I don't believe would have been freaky enough for a Lady Gaga outfit. Maybe if they had been black instead of brown....

Granted, it's not in the middle of Macy's, but at times there were a few other shoppers.

Funny you should mention that. On our San Francisco trip with our friends from Scotland last week, which I reported on in another thread, we actually did go to Macy's, and I have never seen a department store women's shoe section so big - and with a huge number of size 11's in clearance. I almost got a pair of clogs there, but I found another pair in DSW that I liked better. Anyway, the place was jammed with customers, and I was glad I didn't see anything I wanted to buy, as it would have been a long time getting waited on, I suspect. It was a circus! Anyway, we spent far more time there that we expected, and had a blast doing it!

Steve