Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I have the same problem here in South Sfrica the personnel are not very helpfull when you say the shoes/boots are for you (a Man) so I take my wonderfull lady with me as we wear the same size shoe she tries them on and if the fitt her consider sold.

Well I went to Payless at lunch, and as promised Erika had 3 in 13W. I wore what I bought last week into the store - with jeans and a sweatshirt. It's COLD in Michigan all of the sudden. Anyway, I bought these They're really comfortable and super easy to walk in. She had some regular black pumps, but I already have those... she had me try them on and said, "I don't know, those are a little to feminine. Or maybe they would look better with short pants or a long skirt." Whaaaat?! Then I was telling her about a pair that I've been trying to find, found a pair in size 6! (I'm 13W) She took down the model name and number and she's going to check other stores nation wide to see if she can have them brought in for me. How cool is that?

She didn't mention whether or not my e-mail did any good, or if she'd heard about it. I did ask if the manager was in, and she was, and I complimented her on having such good taste in employees, and that Erika was great!

Happy Heeling guys!

Mike

...Anyway, I bought these They're really comfortable and super easy to walk in...

Nice ankle boots ! They are open toes ? Not too cold for your toes ? (Brrrrrr !)

... Or maybe they would look better with short pants or a long skirt." Whaaaat?! ...

Next time what about walking into the store wearing a skirt and your new ankle boots ?

I'm sure she will be amazed ! (Don't forget to wear leggins if weather is too cold...)

You may laugh, but the only time my legs are bare is when I am shaving them. :-) The new ones are open toe, yes, but it shows off my nail polish, so it's worth a small chill. And I am seriously considering wearing a denim skirt for my next visit.

Mike

...And I am seriously considering wearing a denim skirt for my next visit.

If you do, please keep us posted !

Remember Erika suggested to wear "short pants or a long skirt".

( Most denim skirts are above the knee length )

Can wait to read her reaction if you don't follow her fashion rule LOL !

I own a few denim skirts and I like the look very much.

They are also light and comfortable to wear.

I wore one while visiting a close friend of mine (No reaction !)

But I'm not ready to wear a skirt in public yet :smile:

I was at the SF DSW store last nite. There were so many heels and boots to try on in the clearence section. The only problem is that I work for a company and am required to wear a company uniform. I think the rest says it all. If I had not been wearing the uniform, I would have been trying on some those heels and boots.

I haven't checked out DSW lately, but do they have size 13 in stock?

I browse the local DSW Stores quite often (there are 5 in my general area).

I see quite a few size 11's, a rare size 12, and only once a few years ago have I ever come across a size 13.

Now that we have a Nordstrom Rack in the area, that is my go to place for a quick look. Always 12's, 13's and some 14's.

Good luck.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

gary0618,

Nordstroms Rack in Cherry Hill? It is one of my regular stops when I am in that area. Also visit the DSW there.

rx

Yes, Cherry Hill. We should meet there one day. DSW is always fun to browse too.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

If you do, please keep us posted !

Remember Erika suggested to wear "short pants or a long skirt".

( Most denim skirts are above the knee length )

Can wait to read her reaction if you don't follow her fashion rule LOL !

I own a few denim skirts and I like the look very much.

They are also light and comfortable to wear.

I wore one while visiting a close friend of mine (No reaction !)

But I'm not ready to wear a skirt in public yet :smile:

I've only worn a skirt in public a hand full of times. But I do have a long denim skirt that I think will be my choice for my next Payless adventure.

Mike

Man this website is getting expensive! I read that Nordstrom Rack has bigger size heels - so I went at lunch to check it out. Do they ever! They even had 14's! I saw some 5" grey bootines in 14. $60. I tried the one on because the way they work it is you have to go to the 'shoe pair' window and get the other shoe. It fit perfectly. I went up and got the other shoe, the guy behind the counter just said, "Enjoy them" and I said that I would! Walked up to the cash register, paid, and the girl never said a word. She put them in the bag and I walked out to the mall. I was dying to wear them. So I said what the heck, sat down in the middle on a row of chairs, pulled my sneakers and socks off, and slipped on my new 5" heels. Right in front of God and everyone. As far as I could tell nobody noticed. Put my sneakers in the bag, got up and did a lap around the mall. Walked around TJ Maxx a bit. Some people may have glanced, I don't really know. What a thrill though. Then I walked out to my truck and back here at work. Sadly, back in my sneakers. I'll get a picture of them and put them up soon. This is getting easier and easier! I mean I never thought I'd walk around in public in 5" heels. Especially being 6'4" to start with. But I did, and I made it through un-scathed. Thanks HH Place!

Mike

Here are the shoes. And the sad thing is, I want to go back to Nordstrom Rack today!

The shoes look great! I understand the desire to return to Nordstroms where they have large sized shoes. I'm forcing myself to not go back because I can't afford to. :smile:

Question about your pictures... Where did you find a library card catalog in front of which to pose? Thought they were all gone by now.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I was at Nordstrom last weekend and wanted to try on several pair. They didn't have anything nice in my size. However I did show up there wearing the recently acquired Dexter wedge pumps, coffee RHT stockings along with a 6 strap OBG to hold them up. The wife was with me, she purchased a nice boot. I will try to find a photo of them and post it. They are due to arrive at the house tomorrow.

I bought my latest shoes (snake-wedge-courts.jpg) in store as usual. After trying them on I took them to the desk, and after I payed I wanted to wear them out of the store but it might look a bit suspicious changing shoes in the store and walking out, so I asked the assistant if it'd be ok for me to change into them before I leave. I think she was a little surprised at first but was totally cool about it. I said thanks to her on the way out, and spent the whole day seemingly invisible in my new heels (I'll have to wear them with leggings or skinny-jeans next time instead of bootcut jeans).

If you like it, wear it.

I bought my latest shoes (snake-wedge-courts.jpg) in store as usual. After trying them on I took them to the desk, and after I payed I wanted to wear them out of the store but it might look a bit suspicious changing shoes in the store and walking out, so I asked the assistant if it'd be ok for me to change into them before I leave. I think she was a little surprised at first but was totally cool about it. I said thanks to her on the way out, and spent the whole day seemingly invisible in my new heels (I'll have to wear them with leggings or skinny-jeans next time instead of bootcut jeans).

Nice one SleekHeels.

I've bought shoes in store etc but haven't asked to wear them straight away. Not yet anyway. I think I'll try that next time. Need some more street heels. So might as well walk out on the street with them.

"You put high heels on and you change" M. Blahnik

You may want to visit Payless website and write a complaint ?

I'd consider it, but given the general mentality and narrow minded viewpoint of the locals, I don't think it would really be that fruitful, besides, there is a huge turnover of employee's at shops like Payless

I've tried on high heels while "on the clock" at work. I the box to the back stock room and only tried on one. I have tried on heels at work before and clocking in as well. It is a rush.