Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Well, a week ago, I would have said no way, but if you read my story in the guys section you will see that yesterday a sales girl railroaded me not only into trying them on, but buying them when I had no plans to do anything of the sort when I entered the store. It was pretty awesome, actually.

Speaking of "trying them on", after getting several emails from Bakers about the new spring shoes, I went by my favorite Bakers store in Milwaukee after work today and looked at two different shoes. I settled on the "Carmen" wedge sandal as it was a dream fit in size 10 but the "Carina" in size 10 was too tight...but that's the one that took my breath away!

http://www.bakersshoes.com/p-186705-CARMEN.aspx?c=396

http://www.bakersshoes.com/p-195413-CARINA.aspx?c=296

ANyway, my point is that I walked in, where the girls all know my name, and tried both of these heels with other women in the store. If you compliment them on their choices, and how nice they look, they are relaxed and cool with it. It is just that simple.

Heel on and shop away!

HappyinHeels

post-18145-133522936911_thumb.jpg

It depends on the store. I would try them on at DSW or Off Broadway, since the shoes are out there and you can pick your size. I don't have a problem cruising the aisles, but I'll wait til there's no one within direct sight of me. I was actually at a DSW last Friday and tried on the display shoe, since it was my size - all within the lunchtime rush.

http://www.ninewest.com/Booboo/4493624,default,pd.html?variantColor=BLACKLE&variantWidth=M&ep_tag=NWiprospect_GoogleProduct

Department stores, I'll ask for my size and buy it. If it doesn't fit, I'll exchange it...sometimes at a different location :silly:

That same day I was at DSW, I stopped by Neiman Marcus and I saw a Christian Louboutin pump displayed in my size that I really wanted to try on. But the sales people were too close. Up to that point I've only seen pics of Louboutins. Not only did I get to see one live, the color was a gorgeous Patent Navy. This one is definitely on my designer list to buy.

(the link is shown in black...couldn't find the Patent Navy)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RQOmQrILMFsxrdlUYQuXdw

HappyInHeels, I couldn't resist checking out the Bakers platform sandals and my favourites would be the Rayne ones, especially the tan and the purple:

http://www.bakersshoes.com/p-188903-RAYNE.aspx?c=594

It takes a lot of self-control to go with the dream fit over the look, but the more I wear heels the more I realise that ultimately it's the ones that fit that you wear and enjoy the most.

If you like it, wear it.

• 4 weeks later...

HappyInHeels, I couldn't resist checking out the Bakers platform sandals and my favourites would be the Rayne ones, especially the tan and the purple:

http://www.bakersshoes.com/p-188903-RAYNE.aspx?c=594

It takes a lot of self-control to go with the dream fit over the look, but the more I wear heels the more I realise that ultimately it's the ones that fit that you wear and enjoy the most.

I love the sandals would get myself a pair tomorrow, but the postage to us is horendous. Wonder if Bakers have a store here with us?:smile:

Speaking of "trying them on", after getting several emails from Bakers about the new spring shoes, I went by my favorite Bakers store in Milwaukee after work today and looked at two different shoes. I settled on the "Carmen" wedge sandal as it was a dream fit in size 10 but the "Carina" in size 10 was too tight...but that's the one that took my breath away!

http://www.bakersshoes.com/p-186705-CARMEN.aspx?c=396

Love them.

http://www.bakersshoes.com/p-195413-CARINA.aspx?c=296

ANyway, my point is that I walked in, where the girls all know my name, and tried both of these heels with other women in the store. If you compliment them on their choices, and how nice they look, they are relaxed and cool with it. It is just that simple.

Heel on and shop away!

HappyinHeels

Love them also

Shoe Diva, Once upon a time many of us used to buy shoes the way you do, without trying them on, only to double our work on many of those same purchases. I found out, as many here have, that going to the store of your choice and, when approached by sales staff, be up front and honest and you will have many positive shoe shopping experiences. They are there to move a product, and you are interested in that product so the chemistry for a good experience is already there. I have tried on shoes in self-serve places like DSW, Burlington Coat Factory, or the Disneyland of shoe stores...Nordstrom Rack. It helps greatly to wear pantyhose of your choice and some easy-off easy-on shoes so you can try on many shoes within a short period of time. I have tried on shoes at personal-service places like Bakers and Steve Madden and actually love the personal service and ensuring a good fit. I have tried on shoes sitting right next to women or standing up in the aisle at Nordstrom Rack with nothing unusual said or anything. The main point here is that you look like you belong and confidence will overcome you. You really will wonder why you didn't "try them on" from the start. By the way, if you are WEARING heels of any type then the experience gets even better. I know this last item may take you a while but trust me there are plenty here that will tell you how great it is to shop while wearing exactly what shoes you really want to wear. Good luck!! HappyinHeels:wavey::smile:

When I bought my boots this week I actually tried them on in the store.Walked up to a female clerk and asked for the size,just my luck a guy brings out the shoes.But I forced myself and asked if I could try them on,and wow was he open minded."Yea sure go fir it dude",after having them on I stood up and the one girl asked how do they feel and said the look good.Wow was I suprised haha

• 2 weeks later...

Out shopping with MrsF today, she was looking for some new work boots. We went into one shop could see nothing for her but as we went to walk out she noticed a few pairs in the sale section, unfortunately nothing for her but she found me two pairs of nice two and a half inch boots, very suitable for modest street heeling. She told me to try them on, gave her approval saying they looked nice before buying both pairs for me. I was a happy boy. :smile::smile::D

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably buy one or two pairs of shoes a month (yes i am a real shoe addict) and always try them on in the stores. Mainly Nordstrom and Michael Kors these days, but I used to do the same at Bakers, Nine West and DSW. There is really nothing to it, and it is loads of fun when the sales girls actually bring out new styles to try on. At places like Nordstrom the staff is clearly trained to give men the same courtesy and service when buying high heels than they would provide to women. Haven't had a bad experience there. I also buy clothes there and can always try them on. Just be confident, dress in style, and do it !

I probably buy one or two pairs of shoes a month (yes i am a real shoe addict) and always try them on in the stores. Mainly Nordstrom and Michael Kors these days, but I used to do the same at Bakers, Nine West and DSW. There is really nothing to it, and it is loads of fun when the sales girls actually bring out new styles to try on. At places like Nordstrom the staff is clearly trained to give men the same courtesy and service when buying high heels than they would provide to women. Haven't had a bad experience there. I also buy clothes there and can always try them on.

Just be confident, dress in style, and do it !

That last sentence is the key and so true. A neat appearance and confident attitude, and having fun doing it, make trying on high heels a fun experience.

Try them on! Sometimes you have good experiences. I went to Aldo recently, and found a pair of sandals I liked, the style was called "Galentine" (first picture). The sales lady there was very helpful, and approved of my choice. I get the feeling she knew they were for me, but she thought they looked very nice and thought they fit me very well. She suggested another one that she thought looked cute (style Awilda, picture 2), but unfortunately, they only had a 10 1/2, which she had to concede was too big for me. Much to my surprise, she pointed to some much higher ones (style Keithly, picture 3), and commented that she had a pair and thought they were very comfortable. Wait, a lady is suggesting these for me?? Far be it for me to pass that up! She wasn't joking, they are quite comfortable, and also thought they looked nice on me.

post-2079-133522941149_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522941151_thumb.jpg

post-2079-133522941153_thumb.jpg

WOW, I will go and see if ALDO here with us have some. I Love the first and the last ones. Unfortunately here with us, we men have not got so far to try them on as the sales ladies are not very helpfull, they look at you when you are looking at the shoes, if you are mad. As I said before my lady and I wear the same size shoe and at the moment she tries them on and decide if they are comfortable or not. But one day I am going to put my pride in my pocket and try them on in the store and see what is going to be their reactions.:smile: Any comments from the other SA HJeelers.

jay jay The reactions I've had have been mixed. The local Woolies has been very good, I've actually had 1 or 2 pleasant comments with their cashiers. But otherwise it's been very much the same as yours - they look at you as if you have a problem. I did have very good experince when buying my Hush Puppies - the staff was at first surprised but in the end very helpful & friendly. I'll write a full post on my experience over the weekend.

jay jay

The reactions I've had have been mixed. The local Woolies has been very good, I've actually had 1 or 2 pleasant comments with their cashiers. But otherwise it's been very much the same as yours - they look at you as if you have a problem. I did have very good experince when buying my Hush Puppies - the staff was at first surprised but in the end very helpful & friendly. I'll write a full post on my experience over the weekend.

I must agree with you the cashiers at Woolies are most helpfull, I think they think we are buying it for our ladies. That is with me as we wear the same size shoe a SA 8.:smile:

jay jay –

Your comment, "But one day I am going to put my pride in my pocket and try them on in the store and see what is going to be their reactions." misses the mark just a bit. I don't think pride is what you need to curtail. I think it's more a matter of mustering the confidence to try on a pair of heels in the store. It should be a matter of pride that you can and do wear good looking shoes (especially when you have the whole store to chose from as opposed to us guys that can only look longingly at the size 8s :smile:).

Enjoy your heels.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

...Much to my surprise, she pointed to some much higher ones (style Keithly, picture 3),

and commented that she had a pair and thought they were very comfortable...

Nice sandals radiodave !

I bought a similar pair (picture 3) from Aldo a few weeks ago. They are called Castiglia

I agree with you. They are very comfortable to wear despite the height.

A good choice !

The ladies at bakers are the best because every time I go there they don't question me at all and help me pick out heels. I try to go when they just open or when they are closing but today it was busy and I wanted to try on some heels but I didn't have the courage to put them on. So the lady took me in back and I got to try them on. :smile: if I was single I would be dating this girl. FYI if you work there you get any heel there for 50% off!!! Also I heard you have to wear baker shoes while working. So I want to apply so I can get paid to wear heels :D

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats zebra.Its places and people like that that makes shoe shopping and wearing heels comfortable.Two weeks ago when I tried on boots the store was very quite,except as soon as I had the 1st boot on the store immediately filled with school kids and women.Decided stuff this,Im not gona struggle with one boot on to the back Ill stay there lol.It gets easier every time,thats all I can say.

I tried on my new shoes (black suede.jpg) in store this week. To be honest I'd always had a bit of a hang-up about male sales-assistants (in the past when i've encountered a demeaning attitude towards my buying heels it's usually been male assistants) but this sales assistant seemed cool and into fashion so it felt like a good opportunity to confront my inhibitions. He brought the shoes, I asked "Would it freak you out if I tried them on?" and he said "Sure, that's fine" and let me get on with it. Afterwards I thanked him as I headed to the cash desk. Sure I'd probably enjoy a bit more interaction with a female shop assistant, but I'm glad to shake off my hang-up and now I'd be fine with a male shop assistant so long as he's positive and treats me just like any other customer.

If you like it, wear it.

Not to be sexist, but clothing stores probably a good place where, if you're selling female clothes, might be best to have a female assistant. In SleekHeels case, unless the guy was also a heel wearer, he likely couldn't contribute as much about the shoes as a woman might be able to.

Zebraheels, Your comments support why I shop at Bakers and carry their discount card. I know from chatting with the Milwaukee Bakers store manager that she requires her employees to wear heels for at 2/3 of their shift and many other stores are similar. The Bakers store in Gurnee,IL had a guy named Darrel who worked there for some time who wore heels to and from work. When I asked the store manager how the interaction was with customers I was told it was not only positive but he was one of the lead shoe sellers! I have had very good rapport with Bakers staff in various states and the result is positively euphoric if you enter a Bakers store WEARING some Bakers heels. HappyinHeels

absolutely try them on, what have we got to hide, if you are going to wear them in public then there is no problem with trying them, its only a pair of shoes at the end of the day.

... and even if you're not going to wear them out and about in public, there's no better place to try shoes on than in a shoe store.

If you like it, wear it.

Well, I ordered a pair of high heeled ancle boots online at a shop of 'exotic wear' yesterday. The shop's located in a town nearby so I wanted to drive there and get the shoes by myself. I'm torn between trying them on or not at the moment. On one hand: What should they think about a man trying on high heeled boots :-( , on the other hand: They're size US 15 and definitely not for a women :wave: And what about walking there in high heels or flat men styled shoes... Well, I've got about 2 weeks to think about this until the shoes arrive there :):)

Not to be sexist, but clothing stores probably a good place where, if you're selling female clothes, might be best to have a female assistant. In SleekHeels case, unless the guy was also a heel wearer, he likely couldn't contribute as much about the shoes as a woman might be able to.

That depends on the fashion sense of the male assistant, doesn't it? If he prefers female clothes as well, then he's certainly just as qualified.

Well, I ordered a pair of high heeled ancle boots online at a shop of 'exotic wear' yesterday. The shop's located in a town nearby so I wanted to drive there and get the shoes by myself. I'm torn between trying them on or not at the moment. On one hand: What should they think about a man trying on high heeled boots :-( , on the other hand: They're size US 15 and definitely not for a women :wave: And what about walking there in high heels or flat men styled shoes... Well, I've got about 2 weeks to think about this until the shoes arrive there :):)

I can guarantee you a shop selling 'exotic wear' will have no issues with a man trying on heels, they will have seen it many times before.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.