Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Managed to pick up my first pair of heels today from a shop and they are some 5" black courts. There wasn't any problems at all getting them and I browsed a few shops before deciding to buy the ones that I did. I went early in the morning so there wasnt many people about which helped and to a town that I never go to so I wasnt afraid of being recognised. I eventually decided to buy the heels I did after staring at 3 or 4 pairs for about 25mins although I didn't try any of them on. Definitely didn't have the courage for that but I felt if I had some reassurance from some of the shop assistants and they asked if I wanted to try them on then I definitely would have. Problem with this shop is that all the heels are out in their pairs so it isn't a case of asking for a style in your size. Even so I've bought them now and had to participate in a bit of public heeling on the way back even if it was just briefly around country roads near to where I live. When I took them to the til I knew the cashier knew that they were for me because she had a little smerk on her face but I think it was obvious from the way I was! Even so, much easier and more plesant than I thought it would be, I shall hopefully be buying some more very soon!

I've been on a shopping trip again today. On a Sunday? Yes! on a Sunday. :wave: In a few towns the stores where open this Sunday. First i went to my favourite Van Haren store with the fitting rooms. First i browsed the store and no-one seemed to take notice that is was looking around in the women's section. When i found quite a few pairs that i liked i'd grab a pair from the shelf and try them on in the fitting room. The girls working in the store noticed but didn't make a fuss or anything. A few of the shoes i really liked didn't fit properly cause they either didn't have the right size or weren't suited for my feet. So i decided to take a look in a town 30km's further. Browsed the store there aswell, found the same pair of heels i really liked but there they weren't in my size either. So i asked on of the girls in the store if they still had them. She came with me to another part of the store where they also where and she started looking with me. She acted completely normal. I told here i'd have another look around and she said if I had more questions i should let her know. All in all, again a very pleasant experience. Shopping in stores is so much more fun than ordering online.

She acted completely normal. I told here i'd have another look around and she said if I had more questions i should let her know. All in all, again a very pleasant experience. Shopping in stores is so much more fun than ordering online.

Almost every sales person I've delt with is friendly and cooperative with me. They have no problem with me trying them on and are helpful when I check out and pay. Unless it is something I can't find in a store, I only go into the stores, try on the high heels, and buy them there. And enjoy every reaction from the sales personnel.

I just tell them they are for my wife.

You need to be honest. We are trying to get the word out that YES men like wearing heels too!:wave: Besides, your not fooling the sales person. They know that the shoes are for you.

real men wear heels

str82jail-- I'll think you'll find the world has absorbed a lot over the last 25 years, especially the last 10-from women with tattoos to, yes, men trying on high heels in stores. Most people, in any country, just want to be treated with respect and dignity and accepted, as is, and the result is amazing--harmony where you thought there wouldn't be any!! The biggest barrier to you trying on heels, or wearing them in public, is inside your own head. Get past that mental block----and the doors will open for you!!!!!! HappyinHeels

So for my first time ever shopping for heels I just ran into the store (steve madden) and straight up said I was looking for boots. The girl said they only have womens boots and I replied does it matter? Did I feel out of my comfort zone, yeah, but I told her the truth and she seemed to not care much afterwards. Then I found the high heel booties that felt almost like an orgasm on my feet and told her, she laughed. When I went to checkout she asked if the shoes were for a special occasion, so I explained that a couple of girls said my ass would look better in heels and I decided to try it. If I ended up liking it I'd be coming back so might as well get to know her. Why is everyone afraid of trying them on on the store? I don't buy guy shoes without trying them on. I'll be honest though, just reading through this thread made me realize it's just a pair of shoes. And I've always not given much of a damn about strangers thoughts of me so that did help.

• 2 weeks later...

People in the shop really like to help you. Today I was in the center of Amsterdam and we passed by the Ecco shop in the Kalverstraat (this shop is new) and we decided to have a look there. I am looking for shoes to go to Japan (flats that you can take off and put on quickly without trouble) and because I have small feet (size 39) we always look at the womens side of the shop. We found some nice shoes and I went to try them on. Comes a man who works there and says: "I have to disappoint you but those are womens sizes". I told him I knew and that I had small feet and after that he was very helpful, getting the other shoe of the pairs I was trying and giving some extra information. He was quite happy to ring up the sale and sell me also some shoe polish. My experience, also with heels, is always like this. At first they try to make sure you know what you are doing and after that they would like to sell you the whole shop. This holds specially when I am together with my wife. This gives it apparently more status. My guess is also that probably men shopping for women shoes have a higher "hit rate" than women in the sense that the chance that they buy something is bigger. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

...My guess is also that probably men shopping for women shoes have a higher

"hit rate" than women in the sense that the chance that they buy something is bigger.

A very good point yozz and I agree with you :-)

If they got what we (men) want then we will buy for sure.

In shoes stores, I noticed women trying many pairs of shoes without buying.

Maybe women are looking for the perfect fit, which is not always the case for us ?

You bet I do! I look at it this way why be ashamed of what you wear? I love my Boots and i want them to fit right and why waste gas returning them? Also there is the sweetest female shoe manger that helps me and the wife at the local department store! We always have so much fun with her embarrassing her latest "Young Stud" who only wants to hit on the female customers! Usually a hour or so getting me and the wife 10 pairs of shoes and boots will knock the wind right out of his EGO! Of course this while his boss sits and talks to us the entire time while he gets the shoes and has to put them on us! And give his opinions! Oh what fun We have in the Land of OZ!:wave:

You bet I do!

I look at it this way why be ashamed of what you wear?

I love my Boots and i want them to fit right and why waste gas returning them?

Also there is the sweetest female shoe manger that helps me and the wife at the local department store! We always have so much fun with her embarrassing her latest "Young Stud" who only wants to hit on the female customers!

Usually a hour or so getting me and the wife 10 pairs of shoes and boots will knock the wind right out of his EGO! Of course this while his boss sits and talks to us the entire time while he gets the shoes and has to put them on us!

And give his opinions!

Oh what fun We have in the Land of OZ!:wave:

You've given me a new sport to play when I see a guy salesman.

I bought my first pair of thigh high patent boots with 12 cm heels about 15 years ago in Rotterdam. A new store with hardrock/gothic theme had recently opened and those boots were on display in the window. I took me a few times before I had the nerves to enter the shop, even more to take a look at those boots and asking a salesperson if I could try them on. She didn't blink an eye, but apparantly aware of my nervousness showed me the way to a fitting cubicle where I could try them on in all privacy. They fit perfectly so I bought them. So, just another story of the nice and understanding salesgirl.

About a year later I bought a pair of thigh high lace-up boots (without zipper, see my thread on that issue in the 'for everybody' forum) with 14 cm heels in Amsterdam in a regular shop in one of the main shopping streets. Again I met a salesperson that was glad to help, albeit I had to try them on sitting on a bench in a rather busy ladies department. But at the time I did want to buy those boots, so I didn't care.

I do my heel shopping online as I've never come across a highstreet shop that sells heels in my size (EU43). I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing so even if I did find a shop that sells them at this stage :wave:

When i came back from my vacation in Germany on the way home i stopped at a mall. I came across a Deichmann store so i decided to take a look. This turned out to be the best experience i ever had. I went in the store and say a lot of great heels. But most of them only went up to EU40. Since for sure no one would know me there i thought what the heck and i started to try them on in the store. Two girls where there aswell trying on heels. It didn't take long for one of them to make a comment. I was trying on the same shoes she was already wearing. To my surprise it was a really positive comment. And she told me that she thought it was cool. Since the shoes i was trying on where EU40 and i usually take EU41 they didn't seem to fit. Then the girl said, wait a second i'll get you something. When she came back she gave me a pair of ankle high stockings. She told me they would make trying on the shoes easier. I hesitated a bit but then put them on and tried the shoes again. Still didn't fit though. She said it was such a shame since she thought they would look good on me. After a few more questions she asked me what i thought of the heels she was trying on, i told her they looked gorgeous on her. After a little more conversation went along and things got quite relaxed. I ended up trying on shoes with the two girls for an hour and a half! It was really fun, we where pointing out shoes to eachother. I bought a pair of heels that they both thought looked good on me. And the girls got two and three pairs of new shoes. One of them wasn't really into peeptoes since she didn't like her feet very much. I totally disagreed, they where lovely and said she shouldn't hide them in closed pumps. She ended up buying two pairs of peeptoes and a pair of closed pumps. When we went to the cash register she asked if i had messenger, when i said i did she gave me hers. We paid and i said i had to get home, i had another 250KM's of driving to do. Up till then she didn't notice i wasn't German. :wave: They both gave me a parting kiss, the one that gave me her messenger said that i should add her and then we went our seperate ways. When i was back in my car everything that just happend hit me and i was in sort of a shock! It was the best experience i ever had! And ofc i added her to my messenger. :-)

IMROTER, As Steve391 points out, this is yet another example of how buying in-person and trying on the shoes you buy is much better than just buying and going or "scoop and scoot". Trying on women's shoes in-person ensures a good fit, enhances your relationship with various sales associates, and maybe most importantly, tells another segment of the retail community and the world in general that MEN love high heels too and they intend to get their fair share of them!! So, keep right on shopping and enjoying what it has to offer. HappyinHeels

Greetings imroter :-)

What a nice experience you had in that store !

A nice conversation about heels, parting kisses and messenger... (Wow !)

You cannot ask for more isnt-it ?

I agree with other about the fact it is much better to try heels before buying.

You never know what could happen !

Well done !

It was great indeed. I notice that i push myself a little further every time. Yesterday I went shopping with a girlfriend. Didn't find anything i liked (that i didn't own yet :smile:) and that was very relaxing aswell. We had fun, i'm so lucky with such supportive friends. :) I've been wearing the heels i brought all evening at her house. :clap: Was also a first though, didn't have the guts before. At the end of the evening she said..."well..was that so hard?" :wave:

You were wearing heels for the first time at this girlfriend's house... What was her initial reaction when she first saw you wearing heels ? The same happened to me a while ago. I went to visit a girlfriend and I decided I was going to wear heels. She noticed I was taller than usual so she immediatly looked at my feet. (She didn't know at all that I liked heels and I was wearing them) She then look at me straight into my eyes asking "What is that ?" After 5 minutes of initial shock asking Why etc etc she was OK with it but I know she was not accepting...Oh well. It is MY life after all... Don't care what others are thinking...

Yesterday I went into shoe zone (first time I tried anything on in this shop) and tried on some knee high boots. The store was rather busy. Just as I was trying them on the cashier when out the back and must have noticed. She didn't seem phased by it at all. I don't think any other customer noticed, they were too busy with their shopping.

@danielp6406 She already had suspicions when i first told her. Must be about 4 years ago now. We didn't have much contact initially but when she was talking about the new shoes she bought i joined the conversation very casually. :) After that we started talking more and more and now we are good friends. She always has been very supportive and wasn't shocked at all..ever. She always kept pushing me to do what i like. So when i finally dared to wear my heels at her house she said: "well..was that so hard and scary?". She liked it that i finally did it and she even said they looked better on me than on her. :clap: But this is a little off-topic. :wave:

I bought a pair of beautiful black sueade peep toe pumps with 5" high heels at Burlington Coat Factory. I tried them on and walked up and down the ailse in front of customers and workers alike. The woman took my payment saw me wearing them and she was so nice to me when I paid and left the store. And I was wearing high heels when I went into the store.

Greta job roniheels! You make us proud. I have tried on some heels when I go shopping at the store. All depends how friendly the sales girl is. If there are to many people around - I will not try them on. Have fun Bernheels

RONIHEELS- You and I must be on the same frequency because I was in a Burlington Coat Factory and saw a black suede pair of peep-toe pumps Friday afternoon but instead tried on a Steve Madden black patent pair of closed round toe pumps called "CARRII". The shoe looks just like "VICTORIA" from Bakers but the padding is not as evident as the "VICTORIA". I only saw one box left, and in size 10, so I reluctantly slipped them on and was aghast that they fit me!!! A closed-toe pump in size 10 that fit me without stretching or my feet screaming for help. The heels on the patent black pumps are an impressive 5.8", not a bad buy for $29.99!! I'd encourage others to take a peek at Burlington Coat Factory and you may be pleasantly surprised. HappyinHeels

RONIHEELS-

I'd encourage others to take a peek at Burlington Coat Factory and you may be pleasantly surprised.

HappyinHeels

I could not believe all of the different styles of high heels at the two Burlington Coat factories in my town. And the prices are great! This might be one of the best kept secrets. Yes, I agree with HappyinHeels, you will be pleasently surprised.:)

Burlington used to be a great source in my area, but in the last 18 months or so, just like so many other stores, they rarely have anything larger than a 10, and I just can't do a 10. So I barely even go in any more. Same with Payless. Why stop if there is nothing in your size. Don't these stores realize they are losing business? I could understand if, when they were carrying a decent stock of larger sizes, at the end of the season you'd find the sale racks full of hard to sell sizes 11 and 12. But geeze, even back then, a big size was hard to find on sale, as they all sold out quickly! The big sizes that were left were the same ugly shoes that you'd find a bunch of in smaller sizes...in others words, the ones no one lese wanted either! I just don't get it.

Thanks for the Burlington Coat Factory tip, guys! I never thought to look there, but there's a couple stores in the area and I'll go check out the one near me to see what they have. Hopefully the size selection varies from store to store. I was thinking that I would have to find a women's size 12, but I measured my foot and I can wear a women's size 11 - which is good, because it seems that 11 is about the limit for a good selection of shoes, but when you go up to 12 your choices are a lot more limited.

Same with Payless. Why stop if there is nothing in your size. Don't these stores realize they are losing business? I could understand if, when they were carrying a decent stock of larger sizes, at the end of the season you'd find the sale racks full of hard to sell sizes 11 and 12. But geeze, even back then, a big size was hard to find on sale, as they all sold out quickly! The big sizes that were left were the same ugly shoes that you'd find a bunch of in smaller sizes...in others words, the ones no one lese wanted either! I just don't get it.

I agree with you about Payless. I went into two stores last week and I was sooooo disapointed. I didn't care for the styles at all and there were hardly any inventory in my size. Even the styles in smallers sizes were not appealing.