Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

All, I'll re-emphasize something I've said before about good places to shop based on your perceived comfort level. Macy's, Nordstrom's, Nordstrom Rack, DSW, Bakers, and Charlotte Russe are all places I have shopped, tried on heels, and purchased heels all while in full view (or probably so) of other customers. Nothing happened and I had never expected anything to happen either. The most important element here, no matter where you end up shopping, is to exude confidence and to look like you belong there. Wearing heels is an even better way to enjoy the shopping experience and the salespeople will warm right up to you. The obstacles to wearing, trying on, and buying the heels of your choice lie not with the general public rather they are constructed in your own mind. Life is way too short to always wait for a green light that may never come. You need to create your path of green lights by projecting your personality and claiming your rightful place in the world. HappyinHeels

I was at a DSW a few days ago, looking for hh sandals. A lady employee (the manager) asked if she could help me. Short story long, I told her that I was shopping for me (and my wife), that I wear a size 11, and would it be OK for me to try on the gals sandals in the store if I found a pair I liked. She said "no problem" at all, and encouraged me to enjoy my time in her store and offered help on finding a particular style/size. Very nice lady. Unfortunately I did not see anything I liked, thanked the manager for her kindness and told her I would be back in a few weeks. She said that she would be waiting for me, and to come back any time. And she did mention that I am NOT the only guy shopping for womens shoes - ha ha... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hi Steve... They are a pair of "Lisette" thongs from Payless. Got them a few summers ago. I like them, they look nice and are comfy. The wife also has a pair. Take care.. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I have at times, but usually not around where I live. Good quality shoes in my size usually fit. If not, I can always send them back.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Was in my favorite Payless yesterday. Previous sales girl is gone, but new on is just as nice. Showed me what was new and told me of sale, and then left me to try on what I liked. She actaully was working at the end of the aisle and could obviously see me. No comments at all until bidding me a good day as I left. Unfortunately, not much I liked at Payless (platforms rule the roost there, and I really don't much like them). Also, this sales girl was quite obviously with child, so she won;t be there much longer! I was also out today. Stopped at DSW and Nordstrom Rack and tried on a few pairs. Not much that caught my eye today. Well, that's not all true. DSW had numerous styles that I would love, but scant few in even an 11 today, and I only saw one 12 in the entire store. Since I really need a 12, that was disappointing.

DSW has lots of shoes in size 12, but they're all online. Not many 12s in any DSW stores I've been in. Sometimes I'll find an 11, which I can wear in a backless shoe (clog or sandal), but in a shoe with a back (pumps, loafers, slings) I usually need a 12. Steve

Ron C, I was in the Chicagoland area on Monday when I went to get a pedicure in Bloomingdale. I wore some leather platform boots with chunky 5.5" heels and afterwards stopped at the Nordstrom Rack at Lake/Cook Rd. I saw several pairs I liked but settled on a pair of blue floral platform sandals by Free People in size 11 for $49 which I intend to wear in the wear in the spring. Looks like I missed you by 48 hours? I can't stress how good a place Nordstrom rack is to look for shoes both for variety and size range especially for our big-footed members. I am on the lookout for the new "Gigi" wedge sandal at Bakers but it hasn't shown up yet in any store I've checked. Here's hoping and waiting! HappyinHeels

I had a spare 20 minutes today and went to see if there were any new styles to try on. I was already wearing my grey courts as I walked to the store. I picked a pair of slingback sandals and black suede courts and tried them on in the main seating area. I got a couple of glances from the other customers, but all friendly and not at all disapproving. A few minutes later as I was browsing the racks I noticed one of those customers was trying on the same sandals. I smiled at her and told her they look much better on her than they did on me, and she smiled back and said they looked great when I tried them on too. I think it really helped that as well as wearing my heels to the store I was also wearing an outfit that went well with heels (smart bootcut jeans and top) - quite unisex, smarter than sloppy guy clothes but not overdressed. It also really helps to take the initiative and smile rather than looking like a rabbit trapped in the headlights. It'd be great to see some more newcomers successful first-time shopping trips posted here. I wish I'd shaken off my hangups years ago.

If you like it, wear it.

Ron C, I was in the Chicagoland area on Monday when I went to get a pedicure in Bloomingdale. I wore some leather platform boots with chunky 5.5" heels and afterwards stopped at the Nordstrom Rack at Lake/Cook Rd. I saw several pairs I liked but settled on a pair of blue floral platform sandals by Free People in size 11 for $49 which I intend to wear in the wear in the spring. Looks like I missed you by 48 hours? I can't stress how good a place Nordstrom rack is to look for shoes both for variety and size range especially for our big-footed members. I am on the lookout for the new "Gigi" wedge sandal at Bakers but it hasn't shown up yet in any store I've checked. Here's hoping and waiting! HappyinHeels

HappyinHeels, I haven't been to the Lake-Cook store in some time. My shopping has been confined to the Oak Brook-Naperville area. I do miss the Lake-Cook store, as they have a nice set-up in the clearance area. And I like the Vernon Hills DSW as well for the same reason. And that particular DSW, at least in the past, always had at least a few pairs in size 12.

Usually buying heels over the internet, but on one occasion, during the trip to capital city, I went to shoe store which is selling large numbered woman shoes, and there i found one great leather knee high boots with heel about 1,5 inch, raise my courage and went in the shop. Asked for my number and can I try them, and she sad: yes, of course! That was a crazy feeling, standing in phenomenal knee high boots in front of mirror, shaking and in the same time pleased! Didn't bought them cause they were to expensive.. And second time, in diferent town, salesman at first refused to let me try one pair of stilletos with 4 inch heel, because this shop is for women only.. After few minutes of persuasion, she went with me upstairs and let me try...

if i go into bakers i always try them on. after all how many guys do you see at a time trying on 5 inch sandals and pumps at bakers. and those bakers girls wear the coolest bakers shoes and the attention i get there is awsome. they are there too sell shoes and have told me upfront the first time i asked if they have many guys trying on and buying high heels. i was nervous the first time in there especially when they said can i help you. i told them upfront that i was looking for high heels for myself and they brought out the size10 or 11 i was looking for. tend to have to wear 11s there because of the height of the shoes and believe me the first time i tried a 5 and a half inch heels there i almost fell over but the girls told me how to correct my posture so i tend to get the best service there and like their heels cant say enough about that store. pricey but worth it for me anyway. if go into payless i just walk in at the time they open and they always ask if they can help i tell them either im just browsing or im looking for high heel for myself and the answer i tend to get from payless is whatever floats your boat ilke to make conversations about shoes to the staff and they like high heel also. payless tnds to have a female staff so it makes me more relaxed. dsw tends to know as soon as a guy starts looking at the heels like myself i might buy them especially if i sit down and take my socks off and any one standing near me sees my red painted toe nails so they ask if i need help and enen the guys that work there are helpful. only thing i n otice is that dsw does not sell that many wide width strappy sandal s at the stores and you have to look on their websight to order so that is no fun. i have bought a few pairs of tight fitting heels from there when i first bought heels and learned from my mistake so always try them on. most people dont pay attention and those who do only for a second i admit i still get a little nervous especially if there are more men coming in as i am trying on the heels so i tend to stay about 10 more minutes and hopefully find a pair i like if my budget can afford buy and leave. go in right when a shoe store opens really only me and the sales staff and i like that. i really think no one loses sleep seeing my trying on heels.:wavey:

• 2 weeks later...

A little while back i really wanted to buy some boots with a small platform. I only had one pair of boots and i wanted another pair. So i went to a town about 70 miles away cause they have an "Xtrastar" store there. I've read good things about them in a girls fashion forum so i decided to go there. I was prepared with shaved legs and was wearing pantyhose so that would make trying them on easier. When i arrived at the store they had a lot to choose from but i got quite nervous. So i looked around als calm as i could until i picked a pair i wanted. Quite slutty overknee boots but i really liked them. Xtrastar have their stock underneath the displays so i found a pair in my size and tried them on. It went a little clumsy cause of the nerves but the fitted perfectly. I walked a few steps and then put them back in the box and went to the cash register. The salesgirl took them and asked if i didn't want to use their sale. Any second pair would be free. So i told her i'd take another look around then. After a short while she came over and asked if she could help. I told her that i tried a certain pair but that they ran small for their size. So she suggested another pair to try on and gave them to me. There i was in the middle of the store trying them on. An older man who walked out gave me a funny look but i didn't care. The sales girl was very helpful and i loved the pair she suggested so i took them. After paying she told me she hoped i would enjoy them and i left. This was my best shopping experience so far. I was very nervous but the sales girl made me feel more comfortable because she acted so normal and helpful I'll be going there more often.

post-21458-13352297638_thumb.jpg

post-21458-133522976409_thumb.jpg

I personally would love to go trying on shoes&boots in a store, unfortunately there is only one store in oslo having larger sizes and they are expensive. But i'm frequently asked if i need assistance when i browse the shelves full of nice heels in the regular stores, and i always ask if they have the larger sizes, which they never do. Sz Eur41-42 is the max to expect, i wear 43-44. And i always wear heels when out shopping (like almost everywhere else), so it's obvious why i browse... Gee, i wish i had smaller feet......

That's exactly what i find, i take a 43/44 and guess what, NEXT don't stock them in their shops and CLARKS don't either, so stuck with the internet. BTW i'd love a pair of those Sam Edelman boots in Long Tall Sally but i'd need a uk10 for those :wavey::mecry:

That sounds like a great first-time shopping experience imroter. Personally I'm not overly keen on the "bling" diamante panels on the boots (but that's just me, if you like them that's cool) - apart from that I don't think they'd look slutty with some skinny jeans and a nice-fitting biker-style jacket... perhaps they'd be more provocative with torn fishnets and a far-too-short leather mini skirt, it just depends what look you're going for. Anyways, you must have done something right - acted like a normal customer - for the salesgirl to reciprocate and treat you just like a normal customer. Well done for overcoming your nerves and for making a positive impression of guys buying heels, you've helped to pave the way for those following in your footsteps.

If you like it, wear it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, Sunday, March 25, 2012 I was out on a heeling event as usual for a Sunday. First went to Naturalizer store in the mall to look at and try on a pair of sandal slides that I liked from their catalog that was sent to me. I always like to try on the shoes before I buy them. This morning the store was not crowded with shoppers. Only one other woman shopper in the store. As I entered the male clerk greeted me. He has seen me in heels and has sold me heels in the past. There was also a woman clerk there about 30ish. I showed him the shoes I wanted to try on and he said what size do you wear again, upon which I replied size 11. He went to the back to get them. Be brought them out and handed them to me to try on. I sat down and removed my brown "Bass" loafer with a 2 1/2" block heel. Since I was wearing coffee color knee-hi hose, I did not have to put one of those foot socks on, the store supplies. As I was trying on the sandals the woman clerk came over a little closer to see. I suppose that she was a newer clerk and wanted to get a closeup look at a man trying on heels in the store. As I was starting to place the shoes on my feet she offered to help, I think that she noticed my red toe polish on my feet as they did show through the hose quite a bit. The shoes fit perfectly. I walked around the store with them on for a couple of minutes looking in the mirrors, The shoes were a tan color criss cross sandal with 3 1/2" stacked heels. They matched perfectly with my brown Dockers dress pants. The male clerk asked how they feel. I replied "great". The woman clerk said they looked very nice on me and that they would surely show off my pedicure, when wearing them without hose. I replied that I really liked them very much but would wait until I got an e-mail discount from Naturalizer before buying them. The male clerk came over and handed me a coupon for 30% off "Family and Friends of Naturalizer". The coupon would be good March 29 to April 1, 2012. So I had to wait a few days, but with 30% off, I was willing to wait. I said that you probably do not sell many size 11 and 12's in the store, upon which he replied that they did and I am not their only male customer to buy heels from them. He took my name to set them aside for me to p/u later in the week. I thanked them for their help and said I'll see you soon to pick up my shoes. So, guys that like to shop at Naturalizer stop by, between Thursday, March 29, and Sunday, April 1, 2012 and ask for your 30% Family and friends discount. Incidentally they do carry some shoes up to size 12. Next stop was to DSW shoe store. The store was quite crowded this early afternoon with shoppers, especially women. As I browsed the aisles I stopped to look at look at some of the newer shoes that had come in for the spring season. I did try on several pairs of heels. No one seemed to care that a man was trying on heels in the store. Near the back of the store, I noticed a very stylishly dressed woman about 50 with very tight skinny black jeans and white print floral top trying on some black patent platform heels with about a 6" heel. I watched as she walked up to the mirror to get a look. She looked so beautiful in those heels with her skinny jeans., I wanted to tell her how nice she looked in the heels but decided not to at the time. I walked to the clearance rack to see what was there in size 11,. There must of been about 50 pair of shoes and boots there. I tried some on but nothing really stuck out to me. Near the end of the display I found a pair of "Born" tan color, heeled, mules with a 4" stacked heel. I tried them on. They fit like a glove. I walked around in them looked in the mirror and liked the look very much. They matched my brown Dockers dress pants perfectly. They were reduced to $49.95 with an additional 30% off ticket. (originally $99.95) As I was heading to the check-out, I passed by that woman that I mentioned earlier that looked so great in the platform heels and her skinny jeans. This time she was trying some peep toe platform black heels on. I just had to compliment her. I said to her, that I liked her heels that she was trying on and that they all looked fabulous on her and I also admire your sense of fashion style. She smiled and said thanks very much. She then said that I see that you also like to wear heels and she liked my choice of outfit this morning. I replied that I really like to wear heels, they are so much fun to wear, instead of the boring mens shoes out there. We chatted for a few minutes about clothing and heels. I thanked her for the conversation this morning and she said it was nice talking to a man that had a keen sense of fashion awareness. I proceeded to the checkout to pay for my shoes, The girl clerk added up the shoes on her register as I handed her a DSW rewards coupon for $10.00 off any purchase. The sale rang up to about $24.00 with tax. What a great buy I had made. I asked her to cut the tag off the one shoe so that I could wear them out the store, She cut the tag and I put them on. She put my shoes that I was wearing in the shopping bag. As I leaving she said that the shoes looked nice on me and she also liked my polished toes. At that point several other customers were looking at me as I walked out the door with great confidence with my new shoes as I was beaming from ear to ear! Happy Heeling, bluejay

post-14923-13352297861_thumb.jpg

Great post, Bluejay. Do you have a link to the Naturalizers they're holding for you? I'd love to see which ones you're buying. The Born clogs look great. I have a similar pair and they're very comfortable. Isn't it great to strike up a conversation with a receptive stranger like that? Nice going! Steve

Great post, Bluejay. Do you have a link to the Naturalizers they're holding for you? I'd love to see which ones you're buying. The Born clogs look great. I have a similar pair and they're very comfortable. Isn't it great to strike up a conversation with a receptive stranger like that? Nice going!

Steve

The Naturalizer shoe is a" Daquiri" sandal Item # EC0228913. You will have to go to the Naturalizer site to get the picture of the shoes. I am very limited in what I can do on a computer. I will have to get someone to show me how to get that actual link to this site.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Bluejay, Hey, those are cool shoes. I'd wear them, too! Love the heel on them. I hope they're comfortable for you. Let us know after you've worn them a while. What color did you select? It comes in beige, pictured below, and also black and olive. All look good. Steve

post-19919-133522978684_thumb.jpg

@Bluejay man I wish they would do more with coupons in the Netherlands great post! shoes not really my taste but I bet you look good in them :wavey: @danielp6406 very nice sandels!

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out