Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

RonC, it's great that you didn't have any issues in all those places you tried shoes on, though it would've been even better to find a pair that fit, especially if you found some styles you really liked.

With the heel slipping thing, could you go for a platform style with an ankle-strap, or some kind of platform shoe-boot - there seem to be lots of styles around. I guess you don't want to spend a lot for a one-off style you're not going to enjoy wearing regularly. Another option might be gel heel-grips like these:

http://www.scholl.com/en-GB/Scholl-Party-Feet-Invisible-Gel-Heel-Shields/10031191/ProductDetail.raction

which might make some of the court-style platforms you tried a possibility.

If you like it, wear it.

RonC, it's great that you didn't have any issues in all those places you tried shoes on, though it would've been even better to find a pair that fit, especially if you found some styles you really liked.

With the heel slipping thing, could you go for a platform style with an ankle-strap, or some kind of platform shoe-boot - there seem to be lots of styles around. I guess you don't want to spend a lot for a one-off style you're not going to enjoy wearing regularly. Another option might be gel heel-grips like these:

http://www.scholl.com/en-GB/Scholl-Party-Feet-Invisible-Gel-Heel-Shields/10031191/ProductDetail.raction

which might make some of the court-style platforms you tried a possibility.

I did try the heel inserts for a pair of shoes a while back. While they worked at first, as soon as the shoe loosened up a bit, I was back to popping out at the heel. I do not find that comfortable at all, and ended up pitching those shoes. So I'm not real sold on the heel pad things.

Ron C,

I have a reverse story ! I am waiting New Look to replenish their stock of wedge booties in black, but I wanted to know if the size would fit.

(http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/wide-fit-shoes-and-boots/lace-up-wedge-ankle-boot_229095601)

I went in local retail stores of this brand (there are three near where I live ... I mean < 30 km). No success in the first. Yesterday I browsed in the second one and they had the shoes in their size 9, but in brown / tan color, thus I didn't wait and tried them on right in the middle of the store, in which a dozen of young girls in their twentied were also browsing for shoes.... And they fit !! Wow, it was quite an experience, but unfortunately, I don't have the right outfit to match this color, I will have to order online.

A few things that helped : the store was in a mall, with the shoe section being in the back, and they also have a small men section.

I am glad I tried them because the conversion of size between UK / US / EU are very approximative : the shoes were marked EU42/UK9, and there was also another pair marked EU42/UK8 !!!

Think I haven't posted this story yet. A while back I went shopping with my friend. I saw these gorgeous black peeptoe platforms by Newlook and I had to have them. While looking through the battlefield of shoes in the store (there where a lot of women trying on shoes en leaving them on the floor) I found a pair that might fit (EU40, usually take EU41). Normally I would have my friend try them on for me but she had twisted her ankle so she couldn't. She said if I wanted them had to try them on myself. I wasn't sure so we left and went on with our shopping trip. But it kept nagging on me, they where so gorgeous! After discussing it with my friend she said I should buy some pantyhose and try them on. After thinking about it for a while, she got me a pair of knee-pantyhose and I put them on in a fitting room. Then we went back to the Newlook store. I was getting more and more nervous as this would be the first time I try on shoes in the store with her. We looked through the shoes again and found another pair in EU40. She gave them to me and I sat down on a bench and started to try them on. Now I was very nervous! But I started it so had to follow through. While putting them on I noticed that no one was looking at me, so this gave me the confidence to stand up and walk around in them for a bit. They fitted perfectly so I decided to get them and put my regular shoes back on. We went to the counter and gave the shoes to the sales girl and paid for the shoes. She put them in a bag and gave them to my friend. She didn't give it a thought that they could be for me. Afterwards we talked about it and my friend said she was really proud of me! And that from now on I should try them on myself. She also told my that only one man passing by glanced at me trying on the heels. None of the women seemed to notice, they probably where too busy going through all the heels franticly. :) All-in-all it was a great experience and gave me a whole lot more confidence!

What a great shoe buying experience. It's great to have the support of a female friend. I'm sure this will having you forwards to the next opportunity.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Ron C, I was thinking of where a Shoe Carnival and Burlington Coat Factory are close together and that's the case at Gurnee Mills! I am not familiar with Avenue at all but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a store in there as well. As far as your increasing "bravery" my question is, could that day of walking down Michigan Avenue in heels (stilettoes I think I specified) be far away?? Cooler weather is coming (OK, it's tapping my windows right now) and my boots will be coming out of their boxes. Now when o when shall our paths cross this fall or winter?? I am very glad to see you are getting around and enjoying your hopping experiences. I thought of you the last time I visited DSW in Vernon Hills and the Nordstrom Rack on Lake-Cook Rd. two weeks ago. Chicagoland is definitely a shoe-shopping paradise. Regards, HappyinHeels:wave:

Think I haven't posted this story yet.

A while back I went shopping with my friend. I saw these gorgeous black peeptoe platforms by Newlook and I had to have them. While looking through the battlefield of shoes in the store (there where a lot of women trying on shoes en leaving them on the floor) I found a pair that might fit (EU40, usually take EU41). Normally I would have my friend try them on for me but she had twisted her ankle so she couldn't. She said if I wanted them had to try them on myself. I wasn't sure so we left and went on with our shopping trip.

But it kept nagging on me, they where so gorgeous! After discussing it with my friend she said I should buy some pantyhose and try them on. After thinking about it for a while, she got me a pair of knee-pantyhose and I put them on in a fitting room. Then we went back to the Newlook store.

I was getting more and more nervous as this would be the first time I try on shoes in the store with her. We looked through the shoes again and found another pair in EU40. She gave them to me and I sat down on a bench and started to try them on. Now I was very nervous! But I started it so had to follow through. While putting them on I noticed that no one was looking at me, so this gave me the confidence to stand up and walk around in them for a bit. They fitted perfectly so I decided to get them and put my regular shoes back on. We went to the counter and gave the shoes to the sales girl and paid for the shoes. She put them in a bag and gave them to my friend. She didn't give it a thought that they could be for me.

Afterwards we talked about it and my friend said she was really proud of me! And that from now on I should try them on myself. She also told my that only one man passing by glanced at me trying on the heels. None of the women seemed to notice, they probably where too busy going through all the heels franticly. :)

All-in-all it was a great experience and gave me a whole lot more confidence!

Congratulations on your purchase and your experience. As I have said before many times, trying them on and walking in them in the store is definitely half the fun of buying them.

Hi Imroter, In all the times that I have gone into shoe shops in Amsterdam and tried shoes, I have noticed only twice that somebody took notice. The proper reaction is not to react. Just behave like it is the most normal thing in the world and it becomes the most normal thing in the world. I have the same experience with shoe shops in Germany and Spain (Madrid). Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

In all the times that I have gone into shoe shops in Amsterdam and tried shoes, I have noticed only twice that somebody took notice. The proper reaction is not to react. Just behave like it is the most normal thing in the world and it becomes the most normal thing in the world.

I have the same experience with shoe shops in Germany and Spain (Madrid).

I totally agree, and my experiences in London have been the same.

If you like it, wear it.

Ron C,

I was thinking of where a Shoe Carnival and Burlington Coat Factory are close together and that's the case at Gurnee Mills! I am not familiar with Avenue at all but it wouldn't surprise me if they had a store in there as well. As far as your increasing "bravery" my question is, could that day of walking down Michigan Avenue in heels (stilettoes I think I specified) be far away?? Cooler weather is coming (OK, it's tapping my windows right now) and my boots will be coming out of their boxes. Now when o when shall our paths cross this fall or winter?? I am very glad to see you are getting around and enjoying your hopping experiences. I thought of you the last time I visited DSW in Vernon Hills and the Nordstrom Rack on Lake-Cook Rd. two weeks ago. Chicagoland is definitely a shoe-shopping paradise.

Regards,

HappyinHeels:wave:

No, HH, I just don't ever see myself doing that. I might consider it on Halloween if someone made me up in full drag, but that would be about it...lol. Now, 3"+ block heel loafers, you might see me do that........

I went to the DSW in SF on Thursday and went to the clearance section of the store and found almost nothing to try on (Stuart Weizman's $500 regular, reduced to half no thank you). Mind you I was looking for sz 11's.

Wow, you must have a bummer DSW, as all of theone's I've been to have had a least a decent selectionin size 11. Size 12, not so much, but numerous pairs in 11.

I remember trying on a pair of heels at a department store a few years ago (this was when I was way more shy about the high heel subject in general).

A lady that worked there saw me and asked if I needed anything. My heart sunk and I mumbled something about checking shoe sizes.

All the larger size shoes / sndals at the SF Bay Area DSW stores must be sent north to Frisco. The DSW in San Jose and points south have at best, a minimal selection of the larger sizes. Guess I have to drive to SF... Bummer... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Following my failed telephone purchase of a pair of Jimmy Choo Orchid knee high boots (too small) - I have decided to bite the bullett and 'try before I buy' for the first time. Has anyone got any expereince of how helpful / friendly the staff are at the Bluewater (Kent) Aldo and Dune stores are towards guys trying heels on??? :)

Went out to one of the area malls today to do some shopping. Since it was a Sunday the stores opened at 11am First stop was to Naturalizer store. I was looking for a blue pump that could be coordinated with a navy or blue ensemble. I saw a navy pump in their fall catalog that I wanted to see in person. The saleswoman greeted me and I showed her the shoe that I wanted to see. I wear a size 11 . She went to check her stock. She could not find the shoe in navy but brought out a black one in that style. I asked if it would be alright to try on the pair for sizing she said that it was perfectly ok to try the pair on. She asked if I needed the foot socks to try the pair on as I was wearing my Naturalizer black criss-cross wedge heel sandal without hosery. She commented that she also had that sandal and liked them very much ,just as I do. I told her that I had a pair of knee-hi's which I promptly put on my feet. She never commented about my red polished toes as I was putting the knee-hi's on. A couple of women shoppers had also come to shop and I knew that they were starring at me. I paid them no attention as I tried on the pair of black loafer pumps with a 3" heel. I walked about the store looked in the mirror a couple of times the fit was very good and the saleswoman said that they looked great on me. Unfortunately the pair was not the navy color I was looking for. She showed and suggested some other styles of navy but they either were in flats or very low heels which I did not care for. She was very helpful in trying to make a sale. She even offered to order the navy pair I wanted. Since I did not to pay list price I told her I would come back to order when I had a discount e-mail coupon from Naturalizer. I thanked her for her help and she said " hope to see you soon". What a wonderful salesperson she was!!!! My next stop was to Macy's. I did not go to the shoe department but to the men's dress shirt section to look for a shirt and tie to go with my royal blue blazer. I found a the perfect shirt with coordinated tie to match. I went to the checkout no one seemed to notice my heels that I was wearing. I completed my purchase and went on to my next stop DSW Shoe Warehouse. I headed right to the women's shoe section and started to look. I found a pair or royal blue peep toe platform pumps with a 1/2" platform and 4" heel. I am not a fan of platform pumps but I liked the royal blue color so I tried them on. I really liked the fit and the color was fantastic! One of the store clerks (woman) said they looked great on me. I really liked the fit and the color as I continued to walk in the store with them on. I went back to the reduced rack there must of been over 50 pair of size 11 and even a few pair of size 12. I tried on several pair but did not like anything I tried on. As I was going into another aisle I saw 2 young men (20 's) trying on heels themselves. They were of a far East country as they were not talking in English. I told the one fellow that the heels looked good on him. I gave him the thumbs sign which he acknowledged with a thank-you. I went to the checkout with my royal blue platform pumps. The young woman at the register commented on the nice color of the shoes. I said that I liked the color very much. I told her that the shoes were for me. She never even batted an eyelash. Just as she was bagging my purchase the woman manager on duty came up to me and asked if I was getting good service from her associates.I told her they were the greatest. She thanked me for purchase and said "come back again soon". I said, I would certainly be back in the future. As I was leaving I know that she noticed my heeled sandals and my red polished toes. I smiled at her and she smiled back. Next stop was to Best Buy to check out new cameras again, as I am looking for a newer model. Sales associates were very helpful on demonstrating all the features of the cameras that i am looking at. No purchase made today but I am working on the right model to buy. As I exited the store the men at the front door did a stare at me as I was leaving and I just smiled back at them. Another great day of heeling, shopping and great comments made my outing really enjoyable. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Went into Brantano the other day, not a store I normally go in but I was passing by on the way to another shop looking for a smart formal shirt to wear at a national conference I am attending on Thursday. To my surprise they do up to a UK size 10 and there was a nice pair of black three and a half inch tapered block heeled boots that caught my eye. I have been after a pair like this for a while as the highest 'street heel' I have at present is a little under three inches and although they are very nice I do want them a little higher without being a stiletto so I can wear them regularly and for long periods. I just had to try them so took them out the box and put them on, they fit perfectly and I wandered over to the mirror to check them out. As I already had heels on it really wasn't a big deal and I don't think anyone saw me but I wasn't really taking any notice. I went to the cash desk to purchase the boots and the sales girl commented how nice they are and that she has some by the same maker. She had no bags so asked her colleague if he would fetch one, we chatted about shoes and general things for a few minutes we waited and she really was nice and very natural, not concerned on the slightest about a man buying heels. I will be wearing these boots to my conference in the company of 300 people, I will be there all day and it's the first time on such a scale with numerous people I know well. Time to take my heeling to the next level, wish me luck.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

...I will be wearing these boots to my conference in the company of 300 people, I will be there all day and it's the first time on such a scale with numerous people I know well. Time to take my heeling to the next level, wish me luck.

This is the next level indeed !

Will you only attend the conference or you will be a speaker ?

I guess you are already wearing heels to work ?

If not, it will be quite a surprise for many !

Good luck and tell us how it went !

Happy heeling !

I've gone on a few shopping trips over the last few days and have been trying on boots/shoes I was interested in. I have tried to be a bit discrete, and did skip trying on a pair of knee high boots at a Bloomingdales outlet due to a family with kids staring at me while the mom tried stuff on.

I did have an employee at a Timberland outlet shadowing me a bit, but he left me alone when he saw me trying on a pair of these, which I think I am going to go back to buy. http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4218852

(formerly known as "JimC")

...I did have an employee at a Timberland outlet shadowing me a bit, but he left me

alone when he saw me trying on a pair of these, which I think I am going to go back to buy. http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4218852

Very nice boots !

Do you like the fact the employee left because you were trying women's boots ?

Looks like your money is not good enough for him ?

What about buying these boots from another Timberland outlet ?

I think I'm reaching the stage where I could go into a store to try on a pair of heels, but most places don't carry my size (US Men 13), so ebay it is!

phenix

Not sure where in the US you are, but if they have a Nordstrom Rack store, you should give it a try. The stores in the Chicago area all carry size 13s. Not a vast selection, but some at least. Some Payless stores also have size 13s/

Daniel: I usually prefer to be left alone, as I'm not quite comfortable enough to get help when trying on shoes if I am not sure if I plan to buy them. Although I may do so for a pair of these Hunter wedge boots in red. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hunter-kellen-wedge-heel-rain-boot/3174508

(formerly known as "JimC")

This is the next level indeed !

Will you only attend the conference or you will be a speaker ?

I guess you are already wearing heels to work ?

If not, it will be quite a surprise for many !

Good luck and tell us how it went !

Happy heeling !

Back from conference and will post a report later in the wearing heels at work thread. been too busy since I go back and it's off to a football match in a few minutes.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.