Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Understandable. Best way I found is to try to do as much research as possible (ideally at the online site for a bricks & mortor store you'll be going to). Then, just walk in there, and tell them what you want, ie. "the Liza pump in 9 & 9.5, black". The reality is that most of the time, the sales person isn't going to care what you're asking for. If you think they might, then asking this way could very easily seem like you're buying the shoes for your wife or SO. Buying multiple sizes is a perfectly valid excuse - you're not exactly sure what size you need for her, and/or what size will fit. That also becomes a perfect excuse to if/when you return them - "she didn't like them", "this one was the wrong size", etc.

Granted, it's a little bit of a game, but there's nothing wrong with it. If it gives you that little extra push to get out and buy a pair of shoes, then it's perfect.

Hope this helps.

Hey, Legs777777

What jwhite44 said is spot on. I did it recently in a local Baker's shop and everything went smoothly, both the buy and the return. I have yet to walk in just on my own account, like so many of us. Highly recommended tactic to get the ball rolling!

UpBy5

I love trying on high heels in shops! The girls there are always so helpful. My favourite is Kurt Geiger in Bath, where one of the girls especially is so incredibly helpful and patient with me as I try on pair after pair! She's great at advising me what looks good, and she chats about the type of heels she likes too. It's a fabulous experience which I recommend to every heel lover!

This thread inspired me to try on shoes in a shop for the first time last week. This is a change for me because I own over 100 pairs of women's shoes, but this was my first ever trying on. After working late, I needed to do a little food shopping. The local retail park has a Brantano, and I pulled up outside it with this thread in mind, at about 7:45 pm, 15 minutes before closing time. Big 'Sale' signs on display... I resolved to go in to try on, and entered 5 minutes later. Asked the staff what closing time was. Went to the Ladies 9 section at the back of the store. With the place closing I had it all to myself. Saw some blue suede effect 3½ stilettos at only £5. Decided what the hell, and put on first the display model, then the left shoe from the box. Did an up-and-down the aisle walk in these easy shoes. I next tried some gorgeous red patent peep-toe stilettos, about 4½ inches. Another easy walk up and down the aisle, perhaps due to the concealed platform...sadly these were £26 and I have too many shoes but not enough money... I didn't like to try but not buy. So one more try of the blue shoes then I bought them. Asked the female sales assistants at checkout how long sale was on for. Also commented to the girl serving me that these shoes were a steal at £5, she agreed they were. Went to do my food shopping with a big smile on my face feeling very proud of myself. Strange to feel afraid of trying on shoes until you actually do it and it not only goes well, it positively makes your day... :silly:

This thread inspired me to try on shoes in a shop for the first time last week. This is a change for me because I own over 100 pairs of women's shoes, but this was my first ever trying on.

After working late, I needed to do a little food shopping. The local retail park has a Brantano, and I pulled up outside it with this thread in mind, at about 7:45 pm, 15 minutes before closing time. Big 'Sale' signs on display...

I resolved to go in to try on, and entered 5 minutes later. Asked the staff what closing time was. Went to the Ladies 9 section at the back of the store. With the place closing I had it all to myself. Saw some blue suede effect 3½ stilettos at only £5. Decided what the hell, and put on first the display model, then the left shoe from the box. Did an up-and-down the aisle walk in these easy shoes. I next tried some gorgeous red patent peep-toe stilettos, about 4½ inches. Another easy walk up and down the aisle, perhaps due to the concealed platform...sadly these were £26 and I have too many shoes but not enough money...

I didn't like to try but not buy. So one more try of the blue shoes then I bought them. Asked the female sales assistants at checkout how long sale was on for. Also commented to the girl serving me that these shoes were a steal at £5, she agreed they were. Went to do my food shopping with a big smile on my face feeling very proud of myself. Strange to feel afraid of trying on shoes until you actually do it and it not only goes well, it positively makes your day... :silly:

That was a geat thread. I know how you felt going in and out. It is great isn't it. Thanks again. :-)))

I said no as I cannot find my shoe size in stores, so I only buy online.

How do you know what size to get?

Is it trial and error?

1 pair of boots I have is 45 (11) and the other is 43 1/2 (10) and they

both fit fine.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

... at about 7:45 pm, 15 minutes before closing time. Big 'Sale' signs on display...

I resolved to go in to try on, and entered 5 minutes later...

Although you had good luck with this, in general I wouldn't recommend this approach. I'm guessing your strategy was to go late enough that there would be few/no shoppers (which perhaps is what you encountered). However, going in ~10 minutes before closing, you're apt to get more attention from the sales agents, who might be looking to help all their customers finish their purchases, so they can close on time.

If it was me, I might have tried going in ~30 minutes before closing. Any customers in there then, they're also probably trying to finish up their purchasing, and may not care what you're wearing. Also, the sales agents might start closing up - checking around the register, cleaning up the back room. These are enough activities to keep them busy, but not focused on you.

Thanks for your reply jwhite44. I would say, why worry about sales assistants who just want to make the sale? I'm not saying my pulse rate wouldn't have increased had they come to my aisle while I was walking up and down in the heels as opposed to leaving me to it...but I guess that sales assistants should be on your side 99.9% of the time...? I've never yet tried on shoes with other customers on the same aisle though...

How do you know what size to get?

Is it trial and error?

1 pair of boots I have is 45 (11) and the other is 43 1/2 (10) and they

both fit fine.

To some extent it is trial and error which is why it is so important to try shoes on in the store. You should have a ballpark idea where to start but that's all. One thing I have done is to measure a shoe/boot that fits you with your hand. Spread your fingers wide apart and align your thumb at the back of the outside of the side of the shoe then note where the toe end of the shoe is in relation to your little finger tip. Your hand then becomes a convenient measuring device that you always have with you.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Fitting in shops so far seems to be better than not. Pumps I got today are 9 and I have normally a 10. While the boots I got are 12. Pity it's not a bit more universal as I would love to order shoes/boots in the USA as the choice seems to be much bigger there and the price lower.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

I've tried heels on in store when I've been traveling out of town. Its been a good way to start to build up confidence before going where I live.

While this is a nice idea, is the reason you don't try on in your town because you really think you'll run into someone you know? Thinking about it myself, I don't do it, not because I'm afraid someone I know will see me, rather I just don't want comments or looks from anyone.

I can sort of see how doing it while travelling can seem easier. Maybe the town is a little more accepting of 'different' people. There's also a generic form of, "What happens in ____ stays in _____" mentality.

I do agree that it's sometimes easier to do things out of town that you may not do where you live.

• 2 weeks later...

I the past I would never have considered trying heels on in the shop. Since joining HHplace I have become much more adventurous. Today for example I had a day off work so I travelled to a nearby town where I walked about the town centre wearing my grey patent shoeboots with 4in heel before going on to a large shopping centre. There I had a half hour browsing the different shoe shops. In one I tried on a pair of black patent shoeboot with 3in heel. I didn't buy because they were wide fitting and I like snug fitting only. Had I not tried them on I probably would have taken the chance, bought them only to be dissapointed.

At first I have no nerves for that, but now, if I find it possible, if there is not much public I am doing it! Always! Few days ago I just bought Nice HH boots (12 cm) in size EU 41, since I am EU 45 (or so) but slim legs I managed to fit nicely. Little outlet shop was empty and it was so nice experience that I have walk out on the street in my new HH boots. My car was nearby so it was not a very long walk, but it was my first daylight public outing. I was so happy :silly: Also saleslady was so helpful and understanding... I wish I have done high heels in my younger days, but I did not figure out how to fit EU 45 in EU 41 for some time...

I never used to try them on or even admit they were for me. Some of my early shopping experiences are:

#1. In the early 90's I bought a pair of pink 4" mules. The sales assistant was a young guy who sniggered "do you want to try them on?" and I just replied "they're not for me". His (female) boss discretely told him off before I left the store.

#2. In the late 90's I bought some black suedette knee-boots with a 3½" heel. I didn't try them on but I remember the sales lady saying "I hope she enjoys them" and I got quite a buzz reading a little more into that than perhaps she intended.

#3. In the early 2000's I bought a pair of plain white 3" courts in a self-service store. The middle-aged lady at the cash desk gave me the most disapproving glare. I didn't have the confidence to challenge her, but I did walk out of there with my new shoes (in a bag).

More recently I've become more adventurous, in stages:

#4. In 2009 I was browsing the women's shoe section of a clothes store and found a pair of (flat) mid-calf biker boots I liked. Nobody else was around so I just slipped my shoes off and tried them on for size. OK, they weren't heels but it was a start.

#5. Last month I was searching everywhere for the most awesome pair of brown ankle-boots (5" heels with a 1" hidden platform). When I finally found them in my size and the young sales-lady brought them out, I hesitated for a nervous moment before asking "can I try them on please?". She said "of course" and gave a nervous giggle but proceeded to treat me just like any other customer. I made a little friendly chat to put her (and me) at ease. While I was fastening the straps other customers came in and were browsing around, but either they didn't notice me or they didn't care. Standing in the boots and feeling on cloud nine, I asked where the mirror was and spent a couple of minutes checking the boots out from different angles. The other girl at the cash desk was very friendly as I paid, and I thanked the first sales assistant again as I left (thinking "wow! I can't believe I just did that, it was so awesome... and so normal !").

#6. Last week I was checking out the sale section in New Look. I was wearing my biker boots with just 15-denier tights under my jeans, so when there were no other customers around it was easy to slip into a pair of red courts to try them on. Almost straight away the other customer came back and she proceeded to try more shoes on, so I just carried on too trying another 3 or 4 pairs to feel how they fit and see how they looked in the mirror. I tried the red ones on again and decided to buy them. At the cash desk the sales girl asked "are they for you?" and I replied "oh yes!" which still surprised her even though she'd asked the question. We had a friendly little chat before I left.

If you like it, wear it.

If you like it, wear it.

I had a great experience at DSW today. The store was not crowded. I headed back to teh sale racks, where they had an extensive selection of siz 11 and even some 12s. I must have tried on 15 different shoes today, and even walked around a bit in a couple pair. One pair I really liked but didn't buy had the type of construction that for some reason seems to promote a lot of "wobble" when you walk, which is a sensation that I enjoy. I guess the $50+ price tag was a bit too much. Another pair I liked for their comfort was a pair of Clarks black patent heeled loafers that were available in an 11W and fit really nicely. They were so comfortable, not the stiletto heels I mostly go for, but a lower, blockier heel that I bet would be comfortable all day. See the attached picture. But alas, the price deterred me once again. But I sure did enjoy my shopping experience today!

post-99-133522935174_thumb.jpg

When I am doing serious shoe shopping - I will wear thigh high stockings under my jeans. I will wear slip on loafers that I can slip off and slide on my heels of joice. I just drop the heel to the floor and slip off my loafers and slide on the heels. I have had a few women see what I am doing and they just smile and go on about their business. When I check out the gals at the register always comment about how cute the heels are and I just say they fit great and they smile. Go for it - nobody really cares. Bernheels

When I went shopping this past Monday, 21 FEB, I had EXACTLY the experience that Bernheels relates. Tried several shoes and a woman or two saw me but didn't react but then of course I wasn't really looking up. They just go along clutching their purses and try on shoes at random. Like Ron C. I was at DSW as well recently and tried on at least five different pairs and walked out with some nice 4.75" taupe wedge sandals and some really cool denim sandals with a reverse ankle strap that ties on back of the ankle with a sleek 5.5 heel. They were a perfect denim match with the 14 MEDIUM Lee jeans I was wearing that day. The point here is that we are not exaggerating our experiences--just get out there and shop,shop,shop without fear. Women are totally cool to be around in the store and you need not worry. HappyinHeels:wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I had my third shopping experience a few days ago. I wore my bootcut jeans (mens) with my flat biker boots (womens) over sheer tights. There were some grey suedette courts with a 5" heel and 1" platform I had in mind, but I browsed for a while and found some other styles that I tried on too - a couple of pairs of court shoes, a pair of ankle boots and even a pair of knee-high boots.

I spent a while trying them all on, standing up and checking them out in the mirror. Quite a few other customers started browsing nearby and trying shoes on, and I (and they) just carried on as normal. Unlike the previous time, this time I decided to keep on whatever shoes I was trying and walk to the various displays to put shoes back and pick another pair to try. That certainly made me more visible to other customers but it all felt very relaxed and natural - it's kind of a relief to not be pretending they're for someone else.

The grey ones (photo attached) looked and felt great so I bought those, but I didn't wear them out of the store (I'd love to one day). All in all a really enjoyable shopping experience. It was almost disappointing not to be noticed - a positive comment from a fellow shopper would really make my day, but I'll just have to keep an eye out for the opportunity to make someone else's day with a nice comment from me instead of being all "me! me! me!" in my heels.

It's great to hear so many positive experiences from other members too, I'd never have started trying on in the store without that support. It's not just that we feel good within ourselves by doing it, but also by creating a positive image with the sales assistants and other customers we can only be making it easier for those following in our tentative footsteps. Even after only 3 times, it just doesn't seem like the big deal we build it up to be beforehand. If it's something you really want to do then find a store you feel comfortable and welcome in and, like bernheels says, "Go for it".

post-29841-13352293654_thumb.jpg

If you like it, wear it.

I'm a man 13, pretty much woman's 13W is what I need to look for. I had some recent luck with a Naturalizer 12W boot. So I sort of agree that people might be able to look at one size down and find something that fits. Besides looking for shows that naturally aren't as restrictive (sandals, mules, etc), I'm sure some shoes are just little more generously sized that others of the same size.

If you're a size 8 or 9, there's probably no reason to do this, since pretty much every shoe is already available to you. However, if you're a size 12 or 13, being able to look at some 11's or 12's can significantly expand the selection of shoes available to you.

I also am usually a woman's 13W, though there is some real variation. So far, I haven't looked in a store for shoes for myself, but my wife warmed immediately to the idea of the two of us going shoe shopping together (for her.) Though it may not come to be, I'm at least mentally primed to ask her "Any for me?" or "Should we get a matching set?" My size will likely be a big obstacle to such an idea.

I was in a hurry today, and was driving in heels, and was looking for a DSW I had never been to in a large mall. I was looking for a specific high heel oxford they were supposed to have. I figured it might be a 1/2 mile walk, and I would be walking pretty slowly in heels, so changed in the car and went into the mall. The DSW was RIGHT THERE inside (got very lucky). I almost turned around and went back to the car to change into heels, but I really only had 5-10 min total during this Friday Lunch hour. Went inside and WOW- Friday Lunch there must have been 30 women browsing all the beautiful heels! (Instead of a Friday splurge lunch- Let's go heel shopping!) I semi-confidently strolled all the women's Ilses, and I sensed that a few of women were wondering why this guy was looking at ALL the heels with them. But I was at least brave enough to do that. I was hoping that maybe a nice and gentle female sales person might come along at just the right time. Then a guy sales person comes over to me smiling a seemingly knowing look. arghh. I really didn't want to ASK him for a high heeled oxford right there, in hearing range of so many others at apparently a very peak time for a shoe store. (It was crowded like an Apple store- or seemed that way!) Try them ON? I think I would have if I found the exact shoe I was looking for, and no one was in my exact row with me. But I couldn't find any shoes size 12 in this DSW. (I'm men's 11, seems like 12W or 13 womens) I could not find the oxford, and went on my way. One step at a time!

Try them ON? I think I would have if I found the exact shoe I was looking for, and no one was in my exact row with me. But I couldn't find any shoes size 12 in this DSW. (I'm men's 11, seems like 12W or 13 womens)

I could not find the oxford, and went on my way.

One step at a time!

There is a small shoe store in my town that features women's shoes only and has well over a hundred pairs of high heels. I have been in there once, when I was the only person in there, and when there were a few women in there trying on shoes. I would have tried on some shoes but both times I did not see any that I was interested in owning or buying. Because the store is so small (in size/dimensions), I do feel just a tiny bit apprehensive about trying them on when there are several women in the store. But, I will go there again and if I do see a pair that I really want to town, I will try them on, no matter what the circumstances.

I'm in agreement with you that for a small store, I'd also be a bit intimidated about trying shoes on in there. On the other hand, if it's that small, with that many HH, you're likely to find something you don't see elsewhere, in which case trying them on may not be that bad a deal if you find a pair you really like.

A small store especially one that is family-run is more likely to want and need your business. It's worth finding out when their quietest times are and maybe visit then. However, be aware that might be the time they use for checking stock, tidying up, fixing displays and pricing, etc. If you're a serious customer and actually purchasing something, some places might occasionally open a little early or stay a little late for a private fitting. Do be aware that shopkeepers have lives to be getting on with away from work too, so make it worth their while.

Saw some very nice half price boot today whilst out shopping. I was in a very mainstream department store, very busy and very conservative type of shopper. Very glad I tried them on as I couldn't do the side zips up probably due to me having wide feet (it's a common problem I have with women's boots) so obviously did not buy them. Did anyone stare at me or make a comment? I couldn't tell you as I was too busy going about my business. They might have but I was unaware. I enjoyed my shopping trip and got some boots from another shop.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.