Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Daniel6406 Steve63130 Thanks for the help to get that link posted. I am getting those Naturalizer Daquiri sandals in beige. I will pick them up on Saturday night. I will make it a heeling event that night, when I go to pick them up. Freshinheels, Too bad that you can not use coupons in your country. But in the USA that is a fact of life today. Discounts or coupons gets people to buy! Happy Heeling, bluejay

Yesterday, Sunday, March 25, 2012 I was out on a heeling event as usual for a Sunday.

First went to Naturalizer store in the mall to look at and try on a pair of sandal slides that I liked from their catalog that was sent to me. I always like to try on the shoes before I buy them.

This morning the store was not crowded with shoppers. Only one other woman shopper in the store. As I entered the male clerk greeted me. He has seen me in heels and has sold me heels in the past. There was also a woman clerk there about 30ish. I showed him the shoes I wanted to try on and he said what size do you wear again, upon which I replied size 11. He went to the back to get them. Be brought them out and handed them to me to try on. I sat down and removed my brown "Bass" loafer with a 2 1/2" block heel. Since I was wearing coffee color knee-hi hose, I did not have to put one of those foot socks on, the store supplies. As I was trying on the sandals the woman clerk came over a little closer to see. I suppose that she was a newer clerk and wanted to get a closeup look at a man trying on heels in the store. As I was starting to place the shoes on my feet she offered to help, I think that she noticed my red toe polish on my feet as they did show through the hose quite a bit.

The shoes fit perfectly. I walked around the store with them on for a couple of minutes looking in the mirrors, The shoes were a tan color criss cross sandal with 3 1/2" stacked heels. They matched perfectly with my brown Dockers dress pants. The male clerk asked how they feel. I replied "great". The woman clerk said they looked very nice on me and that they would surely show off my pedicure, when wearing them without hose. I replied that I really liked them very much but would wait until I got an e-mail discount from Naturalizer before buying them.

The male clerk came over and handed me a coupon for 30% off "Family and Friends of Naturalizer". The coupon would be good March 29 to April 1, 2012. So I had to wait a few days, but with 30% off, I was willing to wait.

I said that you probably do not sell many size 11 and 12's in the store, upon which he replied that they did and I am not their only male customer to buy heels from them. He took my name to set them aside for me to p/u later in the week. I thanked them for their help and said I'll see you soon to pick up my shoes.

So, guys that like to shop at Naturalizer stop by, between Thursday, March 29, and Sunday, April 1, 2012 and ask for your 30% Family and friends discount. Incidentally they do carry some shoes up to size 12.

Next stop was to DSW shoe store. The store was quite crowded this early afternoon with shoppers, especially women. As I browsed the aisles I stopped to look at look at some of the newer shoes that had come in for the spring season. I did try on several pairs of heels. No one seemed to care that a man was trying on heels in the store.

Near the back of the store, I noticed a very stylishly dressed woman about 50 with very tight skinny black jeans and white print floral top trying on some black patent platform heels with about a 6" heel. I watched as she walked up to the mirror to get a look. She looked so beautiful in those heels with her skinny jeans., I wanted to tell her how nice she looked in the heels but decided not to at the time. I walked to the clearance rack to see what was there in size 11,. There must of been about 50 pair of shoes and boots there. I tried some on but nothing really stuck out to me. Near the end of the display I found a pair of "Born" tan color, heeled, mules with a 4" stacked heel. I tried them on. They fit like a glove. I walked around in them looked in the mirror and liked the look very much. They matched my brown Dockers dress pants perfectly. They were reduced to $49.95 with an additional 30% off ticket. (originally $99.95) As I was heading to the check-out, I passed by that woman that I mentioned earlier that looked so great in the platform heels and her skinny jeans. This time she was trying some peep toe platform black heels on. I just had to compliment her. I said to her, that I liked her heels that she was trying on and that they all looked fabulous on her and I also admire your sense of fashion style. She smiled and said thanks very much. She then said that I see that you also like to wear heels and she liked my choice of outfit this morning. I replied that I really like to wear heels, they are so much fun to wear, instead of the boring mens shoes out there. We chatted for a few minutes about clothing and heels. I thanked her for the conversation this morning and she said it was nice talking to a man that had a keen sense of fashion awareness.

I proceeded to the checkout to pay for my shoes, The girl clerk added up the shoes on her register as I handed her a DSW rewards coupon for $10.00 off any purchase. The sale rang up to about $24.00 with tax. What a great buy I had made. I asked her to cut the tag off the one shoe so that I could wear them out the store, She cut the tag and I put them on. She put my shoes that I was wearing in the shopping bag. As I leaving she said that the shoes looked nice on me and she also liked my polished toes. At that point several other customers were looking at me as I walked out the door with great confidence with my new shoes as I was beaming from ear to ear!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Bluejay,

I have a pair of "Born" mules that look almost like yours.

rx

bluejay, Another fine adventure in heel shopping! I think your story is typical from the reaction of the fiftysomething woman to the checkout staff. My experiences trying on all manner of heels be in DSW, Bakers, or Nordstrom is other people see you and don't react or just don't care at all. It's that simple. They are in there doing exactly the same thing. It think this is separates shoe stores from regular stores. If a guy is dress or skirt shopping he may have an issue in the fitting room area but with shoes THE WHOLE STORE IS A UNISEX FITTING ROOM! It takes a few seconds to try on two of three pairs of shoes. I find it interesting, and completely expected, that the fiftysomething woman was quite aware of you even when you didn't first speak to her. Which leads me to my other point and that is that the staff knows what you are shopping for after observing you a moment or two. Look confident and look like you belong there and everything will be fine. You are to be praised for the fine example you set for those still timid to believe what others have also said. Thanks again for sharing. HappyinHeels

I was a T J Max yesterday looking at shoes on the clearance rack when a women aproached me and jokingly asked, "Can't find anything you like?". I replied that "No, I can't find anything in my size." She was very nice and showed where the larger sizes were. I told I had bought a pair of boots there a month ago. It was so cool that she didn't seem surprised or shocked that a man was buying heels although I was wearing a "Walk A Mile In Her Shoes" tee shirt.

wetwillie, I'm glad you had a good experience. The salesperson's reaction was not unexpected from her standpoint. I have always said here that the sales staff, especially the women, know who you are shopping for by the way you walk into the store and conduct yourself and most women are very attuned to their surroundings and pick up body language. Guys that say they are shopping for a girlfriend or wife are just perjuring themselves. You get better service and will enjoy your shopping infinitely more by just telling it like it is. The experience is even better if shopping for heels while WEARING heels. TJ Maxx is a venue that gets guys shopping for heels, jeans, tops, and other woman's articles so they are used to it. I regularly go to stores like Bakers, DSW, and Nordstrom Rack and try on heels and am regularly seen by others and nothing happens. People keep browsing and talking without missing a beat. Several times women have shared the couch or seat when trying on heels right next to me and everything progresses normally. We try on, stand up and look in the mirror and all without any uncomfortable moments. Life gets better and life goes on. HappyinHeels

wetwillie, I'm glad you had a good experience. The salesperson's reaction was not unexpected from her standpoint. I have always said here that the sales staff, especially the women, know who you are shopping for by the way you walk into the store and conduct yourself and most women are very attuned to their surroundings and pick up body language. Guys that say they are shopping for a girlfriend or wife are just perjuring themselves. You get better service and will enjoy your shopping infinitely more by just telling it like it is. The experience is even better if shopping for heels while WEARING heels. TJ Maxx is a venue that gets guys shopping for heels, jeans, tops, and other woman's articles so they are used to it. I regularly go to stores like Bakers, DSW, and Nordstrom Rack and try on heels and am regularly seen by others and nothing happens. People keep browsing and talking without missing a beat. Several times women have shared the couch or seat when trying on heels right next to me and everything progresses normally. We try on, stand up and look in the mirror and all without any uncomfortable moments. Life gets better and life goes on. HappyinHeels

The funny thing is , she wasn't a sales person, she was another shopper and she didn't seem a bit surprised that I was shopping for myself.

bluejay,

Here are my Born mules I got off the clearance rack at DSW, actually wore them out of the store. The style is Ariane.[/quot

rx, those Born mules are just like the pair I bought from DSW except for the color, mine are a tan color. I wear them often. They are a nice heel height and do not look too feminine.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

My date and I shoe shopping. This girls is worse than me but insisted I wear my heels shopping and try others on. It was a blast. lol:wavey: O BTW I was wearing the boots in my avatar all day. :unsure:

post-3305-133522981238_thumb.jpg

post-3305-133522981241_thumb.jpg

post-3305-133522981245_thumb.jpg

real men wear heels

There seem to be more and more stores that are becoming men high heel friendly these days. Too bad we don't have a small bumper sized sticker saying "this store is hhplace.org friendly" to place on the window or door after we found the sales staff courteous and helpful, as a way to let other male heel wearers know their business is welcome.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

There seem to be more and more stores that are becoming men high heel friendly these days. Too bad we don't have a small bumper sized sticker saying "this store is hhplace.org friendly" to place on the window or door after we found the sales staff courteous and helpful, as a way to let other male heel wearers know their business is welcome.

Holy crap, what an AWESOME idea.... :unsure::mecry::smile::wave:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Bubba136, Tech, et al; If a store displays the rainbow symbol on the window or doorway then one can feel well enough to go in knowing that it is "GLBT-friendly" which means they welcome guys buying heels. The idea of a small sticker is intriguing though. After my recent experience with a company's response to my email praising an employee, and where it was obvious I was a male buying their shoes it was very clear that their stores are very guy-friendly. My email was distributed nationwide throughout their system so the word is definitely out there and I have seen it in not only their employees but at other retailers as well. Read the thread I started today, which supports what Bubba136 said, by detailing one company's response to me but especially to their employees and what insight I was given as to the real power we may have. He's right! HappyinHeels

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great but troubling experience at Nine West today. I went to my local outlet store to shop for some new heels. The store clerk/manager came over to ask if he could help, and I said I was looking for bigger sizes, 11 and 12. The sad part is that, after having had a great selection of 12s in this store over the past year or so, he told me that they a phasing out 12s because they weren't selling enough of them. That is really a shame. Not enough of us guys shopping there I guess..lol. The nice part, however, was that he went through the store helping me to spot any shoes that were available in 12, and certainly didn;t mind me shopping and trying stuff on in the store. A very nice experience with the salesperson, but I'm quite saddened by the change in policy regarding size 12s. Too bad.

Just last week I was in a Valentino outlet and saw a pair of pumps I liked. Black kid with a lace bow on the toe. They were $400 off the original price and a size 41 which is my size. On the counter was a sign "all sales finale" I decided I better try them on. So off to the fitting room I went. It's a good thing I did because they were way to tight and I would be out $200 if I waited till I got home to try them on. Pluse I live 21/2 hours away from the store.

Had a great but troubling experience at Nine West today. I went to my local outlet store to shop for some new heels. The store clerk/manager came over to ask if he could help, and I said I was looking for bigger sizes, 11 and 12. The sad part is that, after having had a great selection of 12s in this store over the past year or so, he told me that they a phasing out 12s because they weren't selling enough of them. That is really a shame. Not enough of us guys shopping there I guess..lol. The nice part, however, was that he went through the store helping me to spot any shoes that were available in 12, and certainly didn;t mind me shopping and trying stuff on in the store. A very nice experience with the salesperson, but I'm quite saddened by the change in policy regarding size 12s. Too bad.

RonC,

I've found that the Nine West Outlet stores closer to urban areas tend to carry larger sizes. I was talking with the manager of my local store and she said she has requested more styles in larger sizes.

rx

RonC,

I've found that the Nine West Outlet stores closer to urban areas tend to carry larger sizes. I was talking with the manager of my local store and she said she has requested more styles in larger sizes.

rx

Very interesting! I am in the Chicago area, so it's not like a small town. There are two Nine West outlets in the area. The one farther away from me historically had few size 12s. Last time I was there, that remained true, only maybe two styles in the store in a 12. The one that is closer at one point had nearly every style in the store available in a 12. Time before last when I went (about two months ago), I noticed a decline in numbers and tought it was mainly because the winter shoes were being cleared out to make way for summer styles. But last week, there were very few 12s, and as noted, the salesman said they were phasing them out do to limited sales. I have a hard time believing that a paid or two in 12 woudl take up so much space that sales would suffer, you know what I mean?

• 5 weeks later...

I have shopped for shoes in an adult boutique store, which is where I seem to have the best results for size and style. I will try them on in the store and walk around there for awhile with getting comments from the gals that I walk better than they do in heels. I don't get any funny stares or anything. In fact I get complimented on wearing them.

I always try on the heels in the store before I buy them. I was at a local payless store last night and saw a pair if 5" hees with a 1/2 platform they were on sale for 19 and they fit perfect and I said i wish that I would of printed shopwith a friend and I could of got 25% off. The sales assoc told me that I I come back in at noon that she would be my fiend. I said that I have a couple of $2 off codes but they are more than 2 weeks old. I did not know but they dont expire you just need to log on in the first 2 weeks. I dont need any more heels but for $13 i cant pass it up

RonC I went to Nine West today and I was told the same thing so I hopped on the phone and talked to customer service. size 11s and 12s will still be available though mostly through phone and online orders. One thing I was told to note was that areas that have the higher sales for the largers sizes (9,10,11,12) will retain those in the stores. So if you have more than one store in your area I would check with them all. The Nine West in the mall is not going to be carrying the larger sizes but the outlet will continue to.

Well, a different Nine West store with better results. There is an outlet store in Chicago at 2739 N Clark St. They had a very nice selection of size 12s. I would say at least half of the styles in the store were available in a 12. And there were some additional closeout racks, which when I first looked didn't have much in 11, much less 12. But then I glanced again at a table full of shoes in boxes at the back of the store, the one with the big Size 12 sign that I didn't see to begin with :redface: . While there were not a plethora of styles on the table, there were probably 15 different shoe styles avaialble in size 12 at the modest price of $19.99. If you're in the Chicago area, stop by there before they're sold out. Too bad so many were platforms, but that is the style of the day I guess. As I said in the Who Has Bought Some New Shoes post today where I posted the photos, I just cannot keep the back of a platform shoe on my foot, and it's no fun walking when the shoe keeps coming off. Oh well, only $20. Sad part is, I did try them on...I guess I just didn;t do enough walking, or not at a fast enough pace like, oh, you know, a slow stroll....lol.

Edited by RonC

Hey RonC, I was wondering about that same store and now you've answered my question! I recently discovered that, in addition to Ninewest closing their Gurnee Mills storei, that the Woodfield store is no longer there. But the manager at the Kenosha outlet offered an explanation; greedy mall owners jacking up the rent which forces the lower and sometimes mid-range volume stores to relocate. I was looking for the "Caridad" wedge sandal and couldn't find it but I guess the Clark Street may have it. Take care pal. HappyinHeels

I have. But not at a typical suburban shoe store. Those familiar with Los Angeles, where I live, may know Hollywood Blvd. It is an interesting mix of "out there" clothing stores and costume shops. A place where, for example, an exotic dancer could find all her clothing needs or one can find any type of costume before Halloween. It is also has a fairly lively representation of a city at large - so it is not unusual to see transgendered of all styles, along with the usual smattering of punks, Goths, homeless, gays, rappers, con men, foreign tourists and, of course, people in superhero costumes. ... and more than one of the shoe stores here have size 13 and 14 (women's) heels proudly displayed in the shop window, So they know their customers - no ill at ease sales clerks. For a while, I was regularly buying my heels at "Maya's". I would generally buy 3 or 4 pair at a time, as I didn't know when my next time being able to do so would be. I remember one occasion I was trying on a pair of black, strappy, 5 1/4 inch open toe sandals without a platform, and saw three guys and one girl watching from the shop window. I always wore hose underneath my pants when shoe shopping, so it was not just a guy trying on heels, but very high ones, sandals no less, with coffee colored hose. I have an odd relationship with the public seeing me in heels. I half don't want to be noticed, but am energized by the taboo of it when I am. It emboldens me. So still wearing the heels, I picked up two of pair I had already decided on, walked to the front of the store and placed them on the counter - which is adjacent to the window - so the lookie-loos could get a nice hard look now that they are two feet away, before going back to continue shopping and trying on shoes.