Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I went into a payless the other day and have to agree with you roninheels. I personally didn't see anything worth even putting on my feet.

Though I was amused at the size 12's being right beside the guy shoes and in the same aisle. Hardly a subtle hint about the intent there. >.<

I'm new to this whole deal and was wondering if its certain payless shoe stores that just stock less high heels or what? Mind you this was the payless in the mall of america, I could try one of the smaller malls and compare. But in general if its not there, its not likely anywhere close by. I know I've read lots of threads where people said they were an awesome place to shop.

Anyone ever gotten shoes/boots from shï perchance?

http://www.journeys.com/shi/

I'm a huge fan of the fact you can find stock off their website at local stores. Wish dsw and other stores would do the same.

From all your experience i got a boost which encourages me to really try them on in a shop before to buy them. We'll see if it really works out that way, but i hope so. I'll make my choice when i bought a bit more shoes.

• 1 month later...

Have to give a nod to The Shoe Department (also known as Shoe Show). The store in my area (Chicagoland) had a wide variety of styles and nearly all were available to at least an 11, with many in 12, and many also in wide widths. It is a great find for me, as my ideal size in many shoes requires a wide width. I sent an e-mail to their web site inquiring about store policy for guys wanting to try on in the women's section, and was told that I was quite welcome. So I went early in the morning, at opening time, and was told by the clerk that I was welcome to try whatever I liked. I tried on at least 10 different styles, and there were others that I would have tried if I'd had more time. Bought a pair of Bandolino sandals that are shown in the "new shoes" thread. Prices are great as well. Those Bandolinos are more than $60 in most locations, but these were $34.99. There were several pair as low as $19.99. If you have a store in your area, I suggest you give them a try.

Yep - - So far no problems. I did walk into a womens shoe store recently, and was informed by the SA that "This is a ladies shoe store" - - then I laughed and left. She was totally confused.

As my wife and I wear the same size shoe, she try them on, I do not have the confidence to try them on in the store and if they fit her, it will fit me, it is just so difficult some times to decide waht to take, we have about 45 pairs between us to wear.

As my wife and I wear the same size shoe, she try them on, I do not have the confidence to try them on in the store and if they fit her, it will fit me, it is just so difficult some times to decide waht to take, we have about 45 pairs between us to wear.

Have I told that I hate you?...lol Wow, we would have too many shoes to count if my wife and I wore the same size. That would be trouble! (but the best kind!). Boy, am I jealous....

As my wife and I wear the same size shoe...

I must say that you are a very lucky guy !

Do you and your wife decide together what shoes to buy

or sometime it is her and other time it is you ?

Hoping you will build the confidence to try them in the store.

You are with your wife so I guess it would make it easier.

And part of the enjoyment is to try them before buying !

I actually went to shop in heels today. First time I tried that. Granted, they were a pair of block heel loafers, but heels nonetheless. I tried on about six or seven different shoes in DSW and Sears. Unfortunately, 11 was the top size, and in the styles that I like, I mostly need a 12. There was a cute pair of mid heels round tow pumps at Sears, LollyPop brand, that did fit reasonably well. Almost bought them, but decided to take a pass.

RonC, Glad to see you shopped for the first time in heels. I'm curious which DSW you tried since the stores do vary in their layout. The one in Vernon Hills just south of Townline Rd. (IL60) is particularly deep and seems well-suited to going into (in your heels) and trying on the merchandise. And, you must always check the clearance rack!! By the way where was the Shoe Department store in Chicagoland??? Best wishes, HappyinHeels

Was just in a DSW and the sales girl was very interested in what I was looking for. I tried on about a half dozen different boots, and we both thought one of the Franco Sarto boots looked the best, and woud be less likely to be noticed as a womens boot underneath jeans (even though it's about a 3 1/4" heel) Unfortunately, I was shy on cash so I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I swing back through and maybe pick up a pair.

RonC,

Glad to see you shopped for the first time in heels. I'm curious which DSW you tried since the stores do vary in their layout. The one in Vernon Hills just south of Townline Rd. (IL60) is particularly deep and seems well-suited to going into (in your heels) and trying on the merchandise. And, you must always check the clearance rack!!

By the way where was the Shoe Department store in Chicagoland???

Best wishes,

HappyinHeels

The DSW that day was on Clark Street near Belmont in Chicago. It is what is known as "Boys Town", so a guy in heels is not the end of the world there. I did get a couple looks from drivers when I crossed the street, but that was about it. I have been to the Vernon Hills store and have utilized the sale rack areas as a good place to slip on a pair to check for fit. I also prefer the prices in that room...lol. The DSW in Bolingbrook also has a back room area that is reasonably secluded.

The Shoe Department is in the Ford City Mall. Not the best of areas, but a good mall for shoe shopping, as most stores there carry sizes to at least an 11. The Shoe Department was exeptional, however, with their selection of 12's and wide widths. Their stock is quite similar to the Burlington Shoe Outlet in Gurnee Mills. I believe they are run by the same company. Ford City has a bigger selection of large sizes, however.

RonC- Ok, thanksfor the location on the Shoe Department. You're right Ford City is not exactly on the "premium thoroughfare" as Carroll O'Connor once said but then again I don't look for questionable areas after dark either. It's just I seldom get down into the South Side/South Suburban areas. I also didn't know there was a DSW near Belmont and Clark, just down the street from Skyscraperheels. Learning something new from people here all the time.:wave: HappyinHeels

I do my heel shopping online as I've never come across a highstreet shop that sells heels in my size (EU43). I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing so even if I did find a shop that sells them at this stage :wave:

Next shoes come in a 43. I have a number of pairs and their are amazing.

I'd love to find a shop which suited my desires, but alas, they're nonexistent, and I'm relgated to the few Payless stores and online mail orders, of which 75% simply dont fit! Gaah...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

A 25% success rate is pretty good for mail order shoes, I think. My wife wears an 11 Narrow and has a much more difficult time than I do (12M) finding shoes that fit. Hardly any stores carry her size and she returns a lot of what she buys mail order. So if you're doing 25%, count your blessings! Sure it would be better to go to a store that has bigger sizes and try them on, but if stores like that don't exist where you are, then you're stuck with mail order. Make the best of it. Steve

It is so much fun trying on shoes in a store. When I first start doing this I limited myself to stores like Payless and DSW where the shoes are all available on the rack, but I quickly realized that it is so much more fun to interact with the sales girl. Now I just happily stroll into Nordstrom, Nine West or Bakers and try on a variety of shoes. Two weeks ago I walked around San Francisco wearing Jeans leggings and high heel boots over them, something I would have never done a few years ago. Got barely any reaction. But did try one a least five pairs at Nordstrom. The ones I liked they didn't have in my size (Halogen Nora. cognac color) so I ended up ordering them online. I have started occasionally working with a personal shopper at Nordstrom to get a more diversified wardrobe as well. THe first time it was setup by my girlfriend and we must have tried on at least 50 pieces of clothing and shoes. So much fun ! Since then I am very comfortable browsing and trying on the women's clothing and shoes. I regularly get compliments and I even get sales associates fight for my commission. The last time I went my personal shopper was not there, so I ended up buying a nice jacket from another sales women (who had me try on at least a half dozen other cardigans and skirts while I was there). Next day I already got a call on my cell from my personal shopper, just to make sure "we were still ok" In the end most of the good sales people genuinely like clothes and shoes, and are more than happy to share that interest with you. I also think that when they see you in women's shoes or clothes they realize that you can look very good in them. The only stores I skip are the ones with the bored teenage sales people who look like they hate their job and couldn't care less about serving you.

Agreed - if you're a size 12 or 13, there's no real brick & mortor shopping, as not even every Payless carries those sizes anymore. Online can be just as sparse. On the other hand, the lack of availability keeps the shoe count of those of us with larger size feet at maybe a handful, vs the 20-30 or more that many others have.

ALL---

This is added encouragement for those lamenting the scarcity of shoes and boots in sizes higher than 11. Yes, brick and mortar stores are not easy to find but here are some to look into;

DSW-While DSW usually stocks all their styles through size 11 on the display floor you may indeed find a few 12's in the clearance rack. This is because I learned that RETURNED SHOES go back there. One could order a an 11 or 12 online and, when it gets returned to a lcal DSW store, they put it in the clearance rack so it doesn't take up display floor space.

SHOE CARNIVAL- This is a store many may overlook but your chances of finding 11's and 12's here is much higher. The prices are great too! This is a good store to check about six months after some styles launch at stores like Bakers or Steve Madden since you will pay much less.

SKYSCRAPERHEELS-2202 W. Belmont Ave. Chicago, IL- 773-477-8495

or on the web at skyscraperheels.com. Gary Page is the owner and he does do shippng to many different states. He carries shoes up to size 17. Yes, read that again, he carries shoes up to size 17. A personal visit there is always preferable so you know what will work for you then you could order over the phone after that. This part may be the best of all; nearly ALL shoes and boots he sells are MADE IN THE USA. Most shoes are under $79 and most boots are under $150.

BAKERS- Many here may be familiar with Bakers and may lament that they often don't have size 11 in the store and so you have to special order which a lot of people don't want to do. The personal service is great but this sizing issue has bothered me so I have written again to the St. Louis headquarters about it. I stated that I had been a customer for a while (and even have their discount card) and that my survey of various store managers showed a great number of requests for size 11 or bigger. I happened to be told by one manager that they have just launched size 12! I checked the website and, sure enough, there it is the VICTORIA pump which is one of their hottest selling shoes of all time available online in red and taupe!!!! I am no claiming credit for this but Io believe the sum total of feedback from many may have gotten thinking. They just launched the red and didn't previously have it in size 12. I have included the link and photo here;

http://www.bakersshoes.com/product.aspx?p=140391

As far as online such sites as electriqueboutique.com, snaz75.com, heelsforyou.com and howcool.com carry sizes up through at least 13.

I hope this gives the frustrated a chance to smile and hope anew.:wave:

HappyinHeels

Speaking of size, I have seen a lot of size 11's in the local stores. Granted, there isn't a Bakers within 50 miles of me, but Payless, Shoe Dept, Famouse Footware, and even JCPenneys, Sears, Kmart all carry something in womens size 11 Funny thing is, most don't have didly squat in a mens size 8 or lower

Just to re-state what I mentioned in anotehr thread, I was in the Nine West outlet store in Gurnee Mills (north suburban Chicago) today and most styles in the store was available to size 12. I have shopped there numerous times and have never seen that before. Normally, they would have a few pairs of 12's in the clearance area, but the regular stock almost never had a 12. Today, I could have had several pairs including platforms and non-platform pumps, as well as boots. Too bad I didn;t have the cash. As I stated in teh other thread, kudos to Nine West! Let's hope it's a trend.

Just to re-state what I mentioned in anotehr thread, I was in the Nine West outlet store in Gurnee Mills (north suburban Chicago) today and most styles in the store was available to size 12. ... As I stated in teh other thread, kudos to Nine West! Let's hope it's a trend.

Maybe not so fast. If one assumes that's what sold in the outlet is what isn't selling well either in the mainline stores or the webiste, then all of those 12's in the outlet know might be a death sentence for 12's in the stores and website in the future.

Maybe not so fast. If one assumes that's what sold in the outlet is what isn't selling well either in the mainline stores or the webiste, then all of those 12's in the outlet know might be a death sentence for 12's in the stores and website in the future.

Consider this possible option - If they sell well in an outlet store, wouldn't that imply there is a market for size 12's in the mainline store front.

I'm sure there is a market if there are 12's in the clearance isle of anyplace with an open return policy, which implies there is business on the web for 12's.

Also consider that some outlet stores are so popular, they will put inventory up to keep the outlet store stocked. Most shoppers assume the outlet store is the leftovers, discontinued, returns, etc. but if they sell 100 pairs at a discount and 10 pairs at the mainline, what possible profit margin could be made if the discount is minimal.

Gotta think like the bankers that screwed us on Wall Street. Put your margins where the stock is moving.

I have to say that the Nine West "outlet" stores are, I don't believe, true outlet stores where slow selling items are put up to get rid of stock. They sell many of the same styles that you see in the current stores. Maybe not the latest "hot" stuff, but a large number of the more timeless classic designs. Just based on their web site, I think Nine West deos quite well with their large size offerings. If you start nearing the mid to end of a current season, it is not unusual at all to find that the size 12's are sold out for a large number of the styles. I believe that they don't produce a high number in the size to begin with, and that they seem to sell a quite a bit of what they do make. As for their regular stores, I have not had a lot of success finding size 12. Not sure if they sell out quickly or if they only carry a limited number of styles.

I tried on once while shopping in a small UK store. The assistant must have known they were for me, I was hanging around for ages before I got up the courage to ask for the shoes in my size. She asked if I wanted to try them on as they had a no return policy. I said they wern't for me. She just replyed that I could try them on in the back room if I wanted with a smile on her face. I did, and bought them. She was fine about it and even gave me a pair of stockings so that I could try them properly for good fit. First step in just getting up the courage.

A few nights ago I was kinda bored, So I thought I would go to the local mall for some window shopping.

After walking in and out of many stores, I almost walked past a place call Torrid.

http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Homepage.jsp

I walked in, and was greeted by a young sales girl who asked if she could help me find something. I said, no, not just yet. I want to look around a bit. After looking at almost everything in the store, I found a nice pair of slacks with no front pockets. I asked her if she had anything similar, but with front pockets. She showed me something that I liked and asked me what size I needed. Once I had the slacks, I told her I wanted to continue looking around.

I had seen a pair of boots that I thought we nice, so I asked if she had them in my size. She brought out an empty box from the back room, and told me they must be on display somewhere. I pointed to a very high display shelf and said, I bet that is those, up there. After she got a ladder and retrieved the boots for me, I asked if I could try everything on. Without batting an eye, she said sure, and led me to a dressing room.

The boots fit very well, but the slacks were way too big. The dressing room had a half type door, so I looked over, and asked her if she could find me the same slacks in a smaller size. She did, and even brought me another style she thought I might like.

The smaller sized slacks and the boots fit well, and I thought they looked very good together. After I changed back, and left the waiting room, my sales girl was busy at the register with another customer. So I walked around some more. I found a nice leather belt, which I had been wanting. Found one in my size, then proceeded to the register.

The whole time I was treated as a respected customer. She signed me up with a DivaStyle buyers card for future discounts. She also gave me a certificate for $50 off a future purchase of $100 or more. After the sale was complete, she thanked me and said come see us again.

I have often tried on heels in a store, but only in the self service type places. DSW, Shoe Dept, Walmart, etc. This was the first time I actually ask for assistance and then tried items on. All in all, a very exciting and satisfying experience for me.

I will probably stop in again in a week or so. I could use a jacket or a sweater for the cold weather coming. And when I return I will be wearing my new slacks and boots.

post-1115-133522927542_thumb.jpg

post-1115-133522927547_thumb.jpg

These pictures are from the web site.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

You just gave us all more reasons to shop in a store and the importance of trying things on before you buy them. Also, take advantage of the sales peoples' knowledge. They are there to help you find what you want. Many times they can be very helpful. This would not have happened if you hadn't taken that first step.

Less than 1 hour ago i bought a pair of white sandals (that's the style i was really missing in my small collection), this is the first time i bought a pair in a store that was not payless, and this meant i had to ask for my size. I tried one on, and it was a little small, but since there are not many places i can get that kind of shoe, and the ridiculously low price i decided to give them i try. So i asked the girl for both shoes (she had only handed me one before) and tried them both on, walked a littel bit, saw miself in the mirror etc, i still asked if they made a larger size, but she said that was the largest size in any shoe on the store, so i decided to take them. The checkout was made by another girl, who also saw me wearing the shoes and looking myself in the mirror, the girl who attended me smiled in a very particular way (quite cute actually), she was obvoulsy amused by the event and obvioulsy knew they were for me, but i did not feel any lack of respect from her, im sure they had a good laugh after i left, and are probably still taking about me, but their behavior while i was in store was perfectly adecuate. So now i'm even more sure that trying the shoes in the store is the right thing to do, even if you never wear heels in public or are very shy (that's my case), the store people want to make a sale and more often than not the experience will be positive, and it's also a lot of fun, i must admit i enjoyed the weird smile from the girl in the store, and thinking about what she said after i left.