Sightings of men in heels

at9

There may be an old thread on this but I can't find it.

Even in London it's rare to see men wearing heels in public.

Yesterday evening I saw a man on the Tube (London Underground) wearing ankle boots with about 2.5" block heels. Black suede or fake suede, simple design. He was in his 50s or 60s and otherwise unremarkable. I was wearing my Hush Puppies brown wedge ankle boots with about 2.75" heel.

• Like 2

Same here. Not long ago I did spot a guy in chunky heeled ankle boots with about a 2.5 inch heel. It’s quite rare, no matter what trendy fashion writers like to suggest, or what online retailers like Asos might offer on their sites.

We will likely never see men in high heels openly in public under normal everyday circumstances. 

My coworkers can't say that as long as I'm around, but they have only seen one guy in high heels. 

High heels will likely never really catch on, few people have the gene.

People’s tastes may well lean towards heels along with a secret wishing that it were possible to wear them without such a big deal being made of it, but while there is this pervasive fear of stepping out of line, it won’t happen 

• Like 1

While we, those of us that wear our women’s shoes regularly, know that the number of men that wear heels in private is way more than any of us imagine, I believe the major reason we don’t see more men wearing heels in public is because of the negative stigma current society attaches to “crossdressing,” which keeps most men from going about their daily routine while wearing them.  (I don’t know of any male that wants any person to believe they are less masculine than any other male). And, as long as present attitudes persist in attaching the idea that men wearing items of clothing associated with the female gender in a deviant sexual practice, guys will keep wearing their heels in the privacy of their own homes.  Case in point.  Just take a look at the number of “guests” this website has browsing this forum at any one time. Out of curiosity, recently I have been reviewing the number of people browsing this website.  While the number has been lower during off hours - any where from 50 to 80 -  the number browsing on line, viewing the forum during peak times, is more than 200 during the 30 minute timeframe that the website collects data.

An additional point.  Lately, the number of members posting comments is way down from what it used to be just a few months ago.  If we could encourage some of these “guests” to post comments occasionally, this forum might return the place of interest it once was.

It’s currently 8:24 AM  - EST.  And there are 194 people browsing this forum.

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I have seen a few guys in heels besides myself. Not a lot but they are out there. One comes to mind, a loose acquaintance of mine is always in 6" stiletto oxfords. When I see him I always tell him that his heels are too high for me to walk in. I'm usually in the 3--3-1/2" range and mostly small block heels in pumps, slides, boots and booties. BTW, I just got a pair of new winter white, knee boots with 3-3/4" heels That's a first for me with that color. I love it. I wore them out with leggings and I did get a couple of compliments.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 2

The white boots sound great. I’d love a pair like that. I did find a pair of cream OTK boots with three-inch heels, and bought them. And while they fit well and I really like the styling, the faux leather fabric of which they are made feels so cheap and flimsy I’m going to get rid of them. All my other boots are of really nice leather and the comparison is just odious 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

The white boots sound great. I’d love a pair like that. I did find a pair of cream OTK boots with three-inch heels, and bought them. And while they fit well and I really like the styling, the faux leather fabric of which they are made feels so cheap and flimsy I’m going to get rid of them. All my other boots are of really nice leather and the comparison is just odious 

That is so frustrating, seeing a great pair of boots styled just the way I like, only to discover they are made of cheap man mad materials...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

That is so frustrating, seeing a great pair of boots styled just the way I like, only to discover they are made of cheap man mad materials...

Yes! Intensely frustrating. Even worse, in a way, than the more usual problem of seeing a pair one really likes only to find they make them in a small range of women’s sizes.

There is such a huge difference between good quality leather boots and those made of cheap synthetic. The others feel like I’m wearing a costume. 

• Like 1

First post in a while…

In the past two years since the Lockdowns were lifted, I have seen more males wearing heels. Probably about 7 or 8 males in total as I don’t really go near the main town (city) more than 2-3 times a year.

Most of them are all block heels, in the 2-3 inch range. One was higher than that in block heels and one was in a nice 4 inch stiletto ankle boot.

There’s probably a decent community of men who want to wear heels out there. The point that Bubba made about there being so many folk on here as guests holds true. There’s another High Heels site for men only, German based, it has roughly 200+ folk active per day and 1000+ in guests. There’s a community out there. Plus, there’s many a man who publicly shows themselves in heels on Insta these days.

Also, the fact that it is reported that ASOS sell thousands of their men’s heels is proof I think.

If it were a percentage on the male population, I’d guess maybe 5% of men would like to wear heels as part of their image and identity. Men want to wear heels, however are persuaded no to by social norms and the little angel on their shoulder saying no, don’t.

• Like 1

I wouldn't describe it as an angel on the shoulder but rather an Inner Jailer, instilling fear of rejection and isolation and a neediness to conform and belong to the herd.

I would say the percentage of men who would like to wear heels - or at least have the freedom to do so - is considerably larger than 5 per cent. It is not just about a footwear style choice, but about overall liberation of thought and identity and expression. I think there is a great latent longing to be freer than we are.

• Like 1

I want to offer a response that might be a bit different that much of the other comments in many of the posts I have read, including this one. First, I want to express the fact that I am, to a large degree, envious of those men who wear heels out in public that are not hidden by long pants. As I just starting going out in public while wearing heeled boots, I truly desire that someday, I will be sufficiently confident in myself to wear such footwear in public where all can clearly see the heels I am wearing. Right now, I am not close to that point.

One of the reasons I do not feel completely comfortable in wearing uncovered heels is related to where I live. I reside in the capital city of a larger “blue” state but the city itself is rather small with a population of ~115K. Given that the city is more or less in the middle of the state, it can feel rather rural as farmland is but a short drive from my residence home. The areas outside of the capital city are deeply “red” and when I am out at certain stores, identifying those who live in these areas is rather simple – you think they came off an assembly line.  

When I am out in a store or event and wearing a pair of heeled boots, I have learned not to care a bit about what anyone else should think of me should they notice. I, probably similar to others, have had a few negative comments come my way from narrow-minded people. I do not worry about those insomuch as I do about the potential of being harassed and/or threatened by those who would deem my choice of footwear to be “abnormal” for whatever reason. If I still resided in the very large city that is within my state, my feelings would be different about when and where I wear a pair of heeled boots. Given my concerns of threats of violence being leveled against me by a very less tolerant rural population, I am extremely careful about when and where I will wear a pair of heeled boots in public. There are a few upscale stores and museums near me and I do feel comfortable in my boots within these places. I would not, however, take any of my five-inch pointed toe boots into a home improvement store. It is sad that I feel this way but it is the reality of the times and the places where I live.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Haven’t been on in a while. This topic was covered at some point but it’s always worth discussing anew. Whilst it is rare any one of us will actually see another man wearing obvious high heels, unless I happen to be in Iowa, it happens more often than you think. Some years ago I asked employees at a Steve Madden store in a Milwaukee mall this same question. Two employees, both women, said during the course of a shift they would see men wearing heels about 6-7 times. Granted this was in 2011-2012 when heels were higher but before the shift in opinion toward transgender men/women. This is only what they saw and far removed from places like NYC, LA, or other places where such a sight is more commonplace or expected. A follow-up question I’ve posed to various retailers was the number of heels being sold directly to men either in-store or online. What I gathered was of heels over 5” and in sizes 10 or larger some 15-20% in-store and 50% online were being purchased by men. This may explain the browsing interest by nonmembers. I have noticed things such as young men wearing nail polish or more obvious earrings or skinny jeans or even carrying handbags occurs all the time but many just don’t overtly react to it. The wedges mlroseplant saw me wearing have been in my closet since at least 2010 and other members here have seen me in them. I could walk past 100 or more people and most may not even notice. A small Iowa town has accepted mlroseplant and his heeled footwear as a normal part of the background. I think much of the world is also evolving. As for those timid souls waiting mass acceptance I would only offer this maxim: “be the change you want to see in the world”. Words of Gandhi

HinH

• Like 3

I’m not at all surprised to hear that there are far more men than one might at first think would be interested in heels. Curiosity, if nothing else, to say nothing of a restlessness for change, and to escape all the stifling conformity that is men’s lot as far as fashion is concerned.

• Like 1

I visit a small boutique shoe store about once a month. I once asked the store manager if she had other male customers and she told me she had a few. 

Judging by the interactions I have with DSW stores, it not uncoommon.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 3:06 PM, Gige said:

When I am out in a store or event and wearing a pair of heeled boots, I have learned not to care a bit about what anyone else should think of me should they notice. I, probably similar to others, have had a few negative comments come my way from narrow-minded people. I do not worry about those insomuch as I do about the potential of being harassed and/or threatened by those who would deem my choice of footwear to be “abnormal” for whatever reason. If I still resided in the very large city that is within my state, my feelings would be different about when and where I wear a pair of heeled boots. Given my concerns of threats of violence being leveled against me by a very less tolerant rural population, I am extremely careful about when and where I will wear a pair of heeled boots in public. There are a few upscale stores and museums near me and I do feel comfortable in my boots within these places. I would not, however, take any of my five-inch pointed toe boots into a home improvement store. It is sad that I feel this way but it is the reality of the times and the places where I live.  

It takes practice. Practice, and more practice. After a while I chalked it up to "I'm actually OK feeling uncomfortable" and kept pushing myself. Give it time.

-------------

On a side-note, I have never seen another man wearing heels out and about. Disappointing. I recently was trying on heels at a store, and asked the salesperson if other guys did this, her response was simply "never". With Amazon I can imagine that it is much easier to simply order online.

• Like 1

Every time I have been into the city centre in the past couple of years, I have seen at least one male in heels. Usually a pair of block heels, 3 to 3.5 inch heels tops. Cowboy boots are becoming more common.

I do see many women, more are putting them back on. Times are tough, their heels are going up with their hemline in certain sectors of the economy. However, more women are wearing them for fashion outside too. I’m also seeing more young 16-24 year olds wearing those beautiful Timberland boots, and like wise too. Some are wearing kitten heels and a one or two with those Korean heel boots that the Kpop bands wear.

Times are encouraging right now. Maybe Scotland is a microcosm.

In more news from myself, my hip injury is healing, I might be doing a trip in heels in the next short while.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 8:59 PM, HappyinHeels said:

Hi All, 

Haven’t been on in a while. This topic was covered at some point but it’s always worth discussing anew. Whilst it is rare any one of us will actually see another man wearing obvious high heels, unless I happen to be in Iowa, it happens more often than you think. Some years ago I asked employees at a Steve Madden store in a Milwaukee mall this same question. Two employees, both women, said during the course of a shift they would see men wearing heels about 6-7 times. Granted this was in 2011-2012 when heels were higher but before the shift in opinion toward transgender men/women. This is only what they saw and far removed from places like NYC, LA, or other places where such a sight is more commonplace or expected. A follow-up question I’ve posed to various retailers was the number of heels being sold directly to men either in-store or online. What I gathered was of heels over 5” and in sizes 10 or larger some 15-20% in-store and 50% online were being purchased by men. This may explain the browsing interest by nonmembers. I have noticed things such as young men wearing nail polish or more obvious earrings or skinny jeans or even carrying handbags occurs all the time but many just don’t overtly react to it. The wedges mlroseplant saw me wearing have been in my closet since at least 2010 and other members here have seen me in them. I could walk past 100 or more people and most may not even notice. A small Iowa town has accepted mlroseplant and his heeled footwear as a normal part of the background. I think much of the world is also evolving. As for those timid souls waiting mass acceptance I would only offer this maxim: “be the change you want to see in the world”. Words of Gandhi

HinH

Indeed...

On 12/8/2023 at 6:06 PM, Gige said:

I want to offer a response that might be a bit different that much of the other comments in many of the posts I have read, including this one. First, I want to express the fact that I am, to a large degree, envious of those men who wear heels out in public that are not hidden by long pants. As I just starting going out in public while wearing heeled boots, I truly desire that someday, I will be sufficiently confident in myself to wear such footwear in public where all can clearly see the heels I am wearing. Right now, I am not close to that point.

One of the reasons I do not feel completely comfortable in wearing uncovered heels is related to where I live. I reside in the capital city of a larger “blue” state but the city itself is rather small with a population of ~115K. Given that the city is more or less in the middle of the state, it can feel rather rural as farmland is but a short drive from my residence home. The areas outside of the capital city are deeply “red” and when I am out at certain stores, identifying those who live in these areas is rather simple – you think they came off an assembly line.  

Sounds like you have made great strides and get to enjoy wearing your boots without being too self concious.  I feel so fortunate to be in a similar mindset, can wear my boots most anywhere.  I know I have made great strides when I realize that I have forgotten I'm even wearing them.  Nonetheless, your caution is well founded.  Many men have tender egos, and their "masculinity" is easily threatened, it is always best to avoid situations or places that might put you at risk.  Don't think I would wear my stiletto boots to home depot, but have no problem wearing my 3" block heeled ankle boots.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pebblesf said:

.... Don't think I would wear my stiletto boots to home depot, but have no problem wearing my 3" block heeled ankle boots.  

I have woren by JS knee high stiletto boots to home depot.  Picked up some 2 by 4's. No problems. Some double/triple takes, but no problems.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

... I do see many women, more are putting them back on. Times are tough, their heels are going up with their hemline in certain sectors of the economy. However, more women are wearing them for fashion outside too. ...

Times are encouraging right now. Maybe Scotland is a microcosm.

I too have noticed some resurgence in public heel-wearing by women, leaving aside those clearly dressed for seasonal festivities.   But a recent visit to a major retail shopping centre revealed very few stylish or elegant 'high' heels (above 3" say) on sale, although awful clumpy footwear with thick ridged soles and massive blocky heels were prominent.

As to Scotland (particularly Glasgow), the appetite there, and in most of north-east England, for high heels is well-established and does seem to buck the trends in the (allegedly) fashion-conscious south.   In part, this is due to many Scots women wishing to make up for their lack of height.   I well remember being in Glasgow and, needing directions to the stop for the airport bus, I asked a passing woman who was clearly an off-duty bus employee (in uniform).   She was quite petite, neatly dressed and made-up and wearing pointed stiletto courts at least 4.5" high.   I got my information (with a smile) and a distinct feeling that not all was lost on the fashion front as she walked confidently away, heels clicking.   But I doubt she wore those shoes whilst on the bus!

On 12/8/2023 at 5:06 PM, Gige said:

I can't believe I missed your post! I also live in a smaller town in what used to be a "purple" state, now clearly a "red" state for the moment. I honestly think politics have little to do with how well one is accepted in a community. It's not nothing, but it's a small factor in the grand scheme of things. I have visited much more politically conservative places wearing heels, and never had a problem, at least not a violent one. This includes eastern Ohio and northern Georgia. I did get yelled at from a passing lifted pickup truck in Georgia, but nobody actually threatened to kick my ass.

• Like 1

The common denominator here seems to be numerous members have gone about their business with basically no issues. People look, or look twice, but they have eyeballs which can't be controlled. "Show me your eyes and I'll show you my heels" could be a good-natured way of looking at it. There are probably as many not so open minded people in cities as there may be in rural areas but the recurring theme in all these stories is nobody is having any issues of any meaningful importance. Let's see here we have one instance of mlroseplant getting yelled at by a passing truck. I'll hazard a guess at a profile: low esteem, low IQ, and probably low probability of amounting to anything meaningful in this lifetime. People like this don't have the vocabulary, or the stones, to insult you standing still within arm's length. Just a part of the background I suppose. You are an idea my friend and "ideas are bulletproof" to quote Mr. Dantes. HinH

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow heelers! It has been a long time, too long for sure. I thought I would also add to the scene out here in the San Francisco area.

For starters, I do not live in the big city. I live in an East Bay city that is predominantly Indian and Afghan families. I, as a Caucasian, am a minority.

I have been fortunate enough over the past few years of living out here to feel comfortable in being myself. What does that mean? It means unless I am hiking or running, I am always in some kind of heel. That includes work, shopping, even church. I realize this is not everyone’s scenario.

However, when it comes to men in heels in the area, I’d say if I’m actually outside the office during the week, I’d maybe see one other male in some kind of heel. I don’t know if any of them have ever noticed me before, but if they have, they’ve never approached.

I was pleasantly surprised one day at the office to see a guy in almost knee high riding boots over his dark jeans. They were quite stylish, despite the lack of heel.

It is always exciting when I do see other guys out and about in heels, because even though I may not approach them, I’m glad to see it’s slowly “normalizing”. 

As for side eyes, negative reactions, etc., I have not experienced it or have been aware of it if it has indeed occurred. 

I hope everyone is doing well and I will hopefully make more of a regular appearance here ☺️

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

Hello fellow heelers! It has been a long time, too long for sure. I thought I would also add to the scene out here in the San Francisco area.

For starters, I do not live in the big city. I live in an East Bay city that is predominantly Indian and Afghan families. I, as a Caucasian, am a minority.

I have been fortunate enough over the past few years of living out here to feel comfortable in being myself. What does that mean? It means unless I am hiking or running, I am always in some kind of heel. That includes work, shopping, even church. I realize this is not everyone’s scenario.

However, when it comes to men in heels in the area, I’d say if I’m actually outside the office during the week, I’d maybe see one other male in some kind of heel. I don’t know if any of them have ever noticed me before, but if they have, they’ve never approached.

I was pleasantly surprised one day at the office to see a guy in almost knee high riding boots over his dark jeans. They were quite stylish, despite the lack of heel.

It is always exciting when I do see other guys out and about in heels, because even though I may not approach them, I’m glad to see it’s slowly “normalizing”. 

As for side eyes, negative reactions, etc., I have not experienced it or have been aware of it if it has indeed occurred. 

I hope everyone is doing well and I will hopefully make more of a regular appearance here ☺️

Good to know you're still around, and still doin' your thang.  .  . Do drop in from time to time!

• Like 2