mlroseplant

The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

Indeed. It is healthier to walk with good posture and grace no matter who you are or what sort of footwear you favour.

I have an immediate mental image of Grouch Marx loping along.   I wonder how he would have proceeded if he had been wearing heels? :giggle:

My wife used to say that the way I would walk would change with the height of the heels that I was wearing.  Wedge, block and stilettos around 3 to 4 inches, my gate would normal for me, or the way I usually walked.  More masculine, less feminine.  Whenever I would wear 5 or 6 inch heels, my gate became more feminine.  She attributed this change to the more attention that I had pay to where I put my foot when walking on broken, uneven pavement, inclines, downhill and up and down stairs when wearing higher heels.  Which, while she never would tell me not to wear heels that high, she would often ask me if “I really wanted to walk that far wearing those shoes?”    

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bubba136 said:

... she would often ask me if “I really wanted to walk that far wearing those shoes?”    

That's a cute and caring way to say it! 

Edited by jeremy1986

7 hours ago, Puffer said:

I have an immediate mental image of Grouch Marx loping along.   I wonder how he would have proceeded if he had been wearing heels? :giggle:

Whatever way would have provided the most laughs

18 hours ago, Cali said:

The trouble is when you over think your walk you look clumsy. Before I started wearing heels I use to walk around on my toes a lot, it was ankle exercises for my reconstructed ankles.

I realize it's possible to overthink almost anything, but I think most people underthink their walk. I mean, it seems silly to most people to even think about the subject, much less study it, and it shows. 

I'm not going to name names, but there is someone I know fairly well who has worn heels for years, but has no idea how to walk in them properly. It just hasn't even occurred to her that she looks slightly ridiculous, or that there is a different way of doing something so common and normal. 

There are some who say that one of the major things to consider when buying a pair of high heels is the "rocking test." That is, if you set a pair of shoes on a level surface and push either of them to the side, they should return immediately back to the center and stop moving. If they continue moving after the first return to the center, they will be incredibly difficult to walk in, and you should reject them.

I am here today to testify that it ain't necessarily so. One of my favorite pairs of sandals, BCBGirls model George, which is a very bare thong type of sandal with a pretty steep heel (4 1/4" difference between the small platform and the heel), rocks pretty freely, as you can see in this video:

I know they are trashed, and I have stopped wearing them in public. If any of you has a lead on finding another pair in a U.S. 8.5, any color, I'm interested. At any rate, my point is that these sandals are super easy to walk in, at least for an experienced heeler. How this is possible, I have no idea. Being a thong type sandal and being that steep, you'd think they would just kill the spot between your big and second toes, as well as making your ankles tired because they are not rock stable at resting position, but they do neither. They are very easy to wear. Therefore, I don't believe in the absolute validity of the "rocking test."

Having said that, I do believe that it's absolutely necessary that the shoes return to a 100% vertical (or plumb) position when released. I've had situations where one shoe sits at a slight angle at resting position, and that does make the shoes pretty unwalkable. That is a different issue. But just because shoes are a bit of a free spirit doesn't mean they are useless. I have a number of shoes that pass the "rocking test" with flying colors that are considerably more awkward to walk in.

Never tried the "rocking test" but I love the thong style and have many styles of thong heels that I wear often.  If the shoe is designed well and properly fitted, a thong style heel can be quite comfortable.  Here is a pic of my first pair of thong heels from long ago.  A bit beat up but still very functional and comfy...   Nice sandals Mlrose.....  take care....  sf

IMG_8139.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 9:01 PM, mlroseplant said:

I got quite a surprise today. As I may have mentioned just a few times before, I have a very good friend who is my partner in crime when it comes to shoes. It just so happens that I have been doing some babysitting for her lately, because of her work situation. "Babysitting" might not be exactly the best word, as the children in question are 8 and 12 years old, but anyhow, they have been staying with us for several hours a week.  My story has to do with the 12 year old girl. She is a bit of a tomboy, does not like wearing dresses or worrying about her hair or anything else like that, and up to now, she has sworn up and down that she will NEVER wear high heels. Well, look at what she showed up to my house wearing this afternoon! I would like to think I had something to do with that change of heart. And they weren't little heels, either. They were 4 1/2 inch wedges.

IMG_0307.PNG

I took Miss V to an orchestra concert tonight, as she is interested in taking up the violin. It was a good concert, featuring compositions by Elgar, Berlioz, and others. You can kind of tell when somebody is truly interested in listening versus simply attending out of politeness.

I wore heels of course, but Miss V stuck to flats, perhaps wisely, as we had to walk several blocks. 

• Like 1