The Wonder Of Wedges

JeffB

A couple of years or so ago, the idea of wearing wedge heeled shoes was a serious nonstarter, the style just plain didn't appeal to me, I thought they looked dull and bland, even worse, looked like those positively hideous espadrilles that women wore wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay back in the 1970's. Wedges simply weren't on my radar. Flash forward a year or so when, out of curiosity, I bought a pair of wedge heeled pumps, the "Kylie" while at Payless one day. When I got home and tried them on, much to my surprise, I found that I liked the styling and how nice they looked, especially when paired with a skirt, they were comfortable too, so I decided to keep them, and that began my love affair with wedges. Suddenly, I found myself intrigued with wedges, finding that I now liked their unique styling and yearned to add more of these shoes to my collection. That one lone pair multiplied like a rabbit on fertility drugs, and before I knew it I had TEN pairs of wedges, everything from a one inch flat ("Cori") all the way up to a five inch platform sandal ("Molly") and in black, white, brown and that cool cognac! My evolution from dislike of wedges to love has been complete, wearing them are great fun, mainly because of their styling, and, being a full-blown freestyler, my wedges look best with skirts as it's also a thrill to show off my footwear passion. At present, my favorite wedges are the Molly platform sandals which blew my mind from how incredibly easy they are to wear and walk in, not to mention how cool they look. I can see myself wearing these shoes often as spring turns to summer. Amazingly enough, even though I have almost a dozen pairs of wedges, I'm on the lookout for more as I loving this shoe style and just can't get enough. Bottom line: Be openminded about certain shoe styles you might not like, chances are that if you give that style an honest try, chances are you could come to enjoy them, just like me and wedges.

post-154-0-79061800-1371294059_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-94024900-1371294096_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-98711200-1371294144_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-86532900-1371294165_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-33858000-1371294207_thumb.jpg

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JeffB - I like the look of the wedge sandals but I'm still not a fan ofthat style on the closed toe shoes you offered. I do have a pair of wedge knee high boots that I have worn to work on many occasions. They are comfortable but but they are not favorites. However, you do make the style work for you. Keep showing us the way. TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I hated them for a long time too. It seemed that every woman in the mall wears them. I'm not crazy about the pumps, but I love the wedge kneehigh boots. I just have to find the right ones. Jeff, its nice that you have a nice variety of shoes to choose from.

Once again, it goes to show that nothing in life is constant, except for maybe death and taxes. Can you believe that I used to hate wooden mules when they were popular the first time in my youth? Now they are fully 1/3 of my collection. Although I'm still not a real big fan of wedges (like you, I used to hate 'em), I do own two pair. They definitely have the advantage of being more off-the-pavement friendly. I think what I object to are the wedges that are just huge and bulky, which is a lot of them out there. I see you've managed to avoid those, which is not a big surprise, given your general style and taste.

Once again, it goes to show that nothing in life is constant, except for maybe death and taxes. Can you believe that I used to hate wooden mules when they were popular the first time in my youth? Now they are fully 1/3 of my collection.

Although I'm still not a real big fan of wedges (like you, I used to hate 'em), I do own two pair. They definitely have the advantage of being more off-the-pavement friendly. I think what I object to are the wedges that are just huge and bulky, which is a lot of them out there. I see you've managed to avoid those, which is not a big surprise, given your general style and taste.

I don't see many mules at all let alone the wooden styles. I've looked locally, and can't find a thing. Where do you find them? Not always a fan of online ordering - Like to see them up front and yes, try them on.

I'm not personally fond of the look of wedges, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a pair for a more utilitarian reason. They are much better for unpaved ground. I am still thinking of a wedge heel winter boots.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I never liked wedges either but liked the Lunar style on payless so much i got the Turquoise, Multi and Tomato/ Orange (more like red) options, i think they are really cool, something i thought i would never say about a wedge shoe..

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

JeffB, I'm with you. Two years ago I wouldn't even think of wearing a wedge heel, let alone buying some. Then I tried a pair of black cris cross slide sandals from Naturalizer, "Laurie" that were on sale at 60% off, late summer 2011. At first I wasn't thrilled with them until my wife borrowed them to wear with a black dress to a bit of a formal affair about a couple of weeks after I got them. Even though they were a bit big on her they looked great on her and she got several compliments on them. From that time on I started to wear them a few times until the colder weather set in and sandals were put away for the season. I liked them more each time I wore them, and like my wife I did get a couple of compliments on how nice they looked on my feet. My wife wanted to wear them again so I was able to get a pair from Naturalizer in her size. Now we sometimes wear them out together. Last spring I saw a pair of similar sandals, but in white from Sear's. I liked them and ordered two pairs, one for me and a pair for my wife. We both loved the shoes and the white color. During the summer I saw a couple of other women wearing the same shoe out. My wife was real happy when I gave them to her as a Mother's Day present 2012. Just last week I bought two pair of wedge heel sandals from Payless. The "Portia" style in both blue and red. They are very nice and I'm matching them to my tops of similar colors and wearing them with Hue white capri leggings and white ankle length skinny jeans. I think the look is awesome. Wearing them with leggings requires the carrying of a shoulder bag or a murse as I call it. So I bought two shoulder bags one in royal blue and one in white to wear out. It seems that the more I carry a bag (murse) the more I like it. So I'm following in your footsteps Jeff, caring a murse with me, more and more these days, especially when I'm wearing leggings and wearing my wedge heel sandals. I'm still not sure about wedge heel closed toes or wedge heel boots, but maybe I will try them too. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! They certainly made for intriguing reading as there's a lot of differing opinions on wedges. I suspect that wedges as a whole are an acquired taste, that they aren't something that heelers here love from jump street, in my case, it was the traditional pump styling of the "Kylie" shoe that attracted me to wedges and got me interested in them, and the rest was history. mlroseplant mentioned how wedges have the stigma of being huge and bulky, that had occurred to me, most notably when I first considered buying a pair of the "Molly" platform sandals, however, they turned out to be lighter than I thought, despite the size, and, as I've previously mentioned are remarkably comfortable and easy to wear. Now, I'd LOVE to find a sleek knee high boot in 13 wide with a four or five inch wedge heel. Haven't seen anything like that yet, but I'm still searching.

If I can wedge in a remark here, I'd like to comment that I think JeffB is exactly right. They are an acquired taste for a lot of us. A year ago I didn't like them at all, and I had only two pair of wedge clogs, Cherokee brand and Liz Claiborne Villager (photos), which are comfortable, but I didn't wear them much. But wedges are so popular now, you can't go anywhere without seeing them. So I've warmed up to them also. I prefer the ones that show at least a small arch between the front and the heel, rather than being completely flat from the front of the shoe to the back. My two favorites now are both sandals from Naturalizer: "Tribute," in black, and "Tanner" in brown (photos). They have become my everyday shoe. They have a 2 3/4 inch heel, and I wear them everywhere, with shorts and jeans, with pantyhose and without, and I can walk miles in them (and often do). So, I, too, have done a complete turn-around on wedges. Steve

post-4071-0-56270100-1371394729_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-33524600-1371394744_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-24210700-1371395458_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-01387300-1371395628_thumb.jp

JeffB, I can distinctly remember suggesting to you that you give wedges some thought even though, at that time, they didn't appeal to you. I am very glad to know that you now like them and see how well they fit in with your skirts as I imagined they would. You may not wear wedges to the club, although some of the really high ones WOULD work, and you may not wear them to party but you'll learn to love them wherever you do wear them. Very stable on non-paved surfaces whether a walk in the park or an invitation to an outdoor wedding. I think the variety of today's wedges will find many of members reconsidering the possibilities. HappyinHeels

I've always liked wedges. The first ones that made an impression on me were back in the 80's - imagine a simple black patent flip-flop with a wooden 4" wedge-heel and sole (no platform) and halfway up the heel a horizontal gold line. They were really popular at one point, and came in other colours too. From that point I always preferred wedge sandals, though more recently I also like courts and peeptoe styles.For me the wedge heel has to be at least 4" high otherwise they can look a bit frumpy, and also quite tapered down to a cute small footprint so they don't look too clunky.

If you like it, wear it.

Like you, Jeff, I never would have imagined that I would buy a pair of wedges. While they will never be my favorite style of shoe, I actually have purchased a couple of pairs. One from Nine West was probably the most comfortable shoe I have ever had, and the heel on those was nearly 4 inches. And I also had a pair of Aerosoles sandal style wedges that I wore out a few times. They certainly are easier to walk in, even if the heel is higher. And I think that may be even more so for those of us that weigh a bit more than we should....lol. Anyway, while I will never be a complete wedge convert (and I sure do get tired of see so many women wearing them all the time) I do find styles I like and I'm sure will purchase in the future.

Thought I'd post one picture here and another in who has new shoes. The picture is a closeup of my latest wedge purchase, Steve Madden Xenon. I can understand why ladies like wedges so much. I can walk with no trouble in these even with a 5.5-inch heel and 1.5-inch platform. Anything over a 3-inch heel in a stiletto heel is tough for me. Thought I'd post one picture here and another in who has new shoes. The picture is a closeup of my latest wedge purchase, Steve Madden Xenon. I can understand why ladies like wedges so much. I can walk with no trouble in these even with a 5.5-inch heel and 1.5-inch platform. Anything over a 3-inch heel in a stiletto heel is tough for me.

post-18085-0-10965000-1371759437_thumb.j

Bundy999, I like your new wedge heel sandals. I replied to your other post too. Tonight, I wore light teal colored women's capri jeans, with a white golf style polo shirt and my Covington (Sears) "Rivera" white wedge heel criss-cross, wedge heel sandals with a 4" heel. I went to Macy's to return a bag, that I didn't like. I felt great wearing my wedge heel sandals as I too like the stability of wedge heels. I can only wear a stiletto no more that 4", but could wear a wedge heel a lot higher. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Thought I'd post one picture here and another in who has new shoes. The picture is a closeup of my latest wedge purchase, Steve Madden Xenon. I can understand why ladies like wedges so much. I can walk with no trouble in these even with a 5.5-inch heel and 1.5-inch platform. Anything over a 3-inch heel in a stiletto heel is tough for me.

Thought I'd post one picture here and another in who has new shoes. The picture is a closeup of my latest wedge purchase, Steve Madden Xenon. I can understand why ladies like wedges so much. I can walk with no trouble in these even with a 5.5-inch heel and 1.5-inch platform. Anything over a 3-inch heel in a stiletto heel is tough for me.

Nice looking shoes there! Bravo to you for a smart purchase!

• 7 months later...

I really like wedges. They are easy to walk in. I have four pair in different heights. They are stylish yet still casual enough to wear anytime.

While I like stilettos the most for nighttime, wedges are great daytime shoes.

See attachments

post-20837-0-35614000-1391011390_thumb.j

post-20837-0-84040600-1391011417_thumb.j

post-20837-0-76018800-1391011461_thumb.j

post-20837-0-36262100-1391011479_thumb.j