Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

Some quotes from the Paper article that could apply to anyone (motivating truths that still hold value for the straight community):

"When I wear heels it's not me being trendy or trying to attract attention, it's me expressing myself. I don't think of wearing heels as much of a big deal. It's normalized to me because I don't hold onto the toxic gender norms held over everyone's heads. In fact when I do wear heels I'd rather not have people comment on them. It sometimes can feel like I'm getting a pat on the back from a cis person for going against the gender binary, and things like that don't move us forward but set us back."

"'Be you're own cheerleader' — Suzanne Farrell. I grew up with and still live by the saying, 'Treat others the way you want to be treated.' All we have is right now, so why not live your truest self."

"It doesn't matter what gender is wearing the heels. All that really matters is, if they can SLAY in them."

"Heels on the male body isn't just a fashion trend as it has been around since heels were invented. As a gender nonconforming person, wearing heels has allowed me to feel powerful in spaces where I'm otherwise made to feel small and unseen."

"Personally, I believe the most masculine thing a man could do is wear a dress with a pair of heels and not be afraid to embrace his inner femininity."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

1 hour ago, kneehighs said:

Some quotes from the Paper article that could apply to anyone (motivating truths that still hold value for the straight community):

"Personally, I believe the most masculine thing a man could do is wear a dress with a pair of heels and not be afraid to embrace his inner femininity."

Sounds like me all over, and yes, I agree with that sentiment one hundred percent.

• Like 2

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 3 weeks later...

Can't speak to this "bent gender" stuff.  I just know that I enjoy wearing high heel shoes....  It's fun....    sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

2 hours ago, SF said:

Can't speak to this "bent gender" stuff.  I just know that I enjoy wearing high heel shoes....  It's fun....    sf

Sorry SF, when you wear high heel shoes you are on the spectrum. But not very far.

I on the other hand are further down that spectrum on a daily basis.

I live my life close to this idea from Eddie Izzard:

An interviewer asked: Eddie why are you wearing a woman’s dress? “It’s not a woman’s dress,” he replied. “It’s my dress.”

Although much of what I wear might start in the women's section, once I wear it, it becomes a man's clothes.

• Like 4

I think there is a clear distinction between so-called "bent gender" and transgender. Perhaps that's where the hangup is. But then again, I suspect there are other influences out there on some people's opinions. There is no question that all of us here are bending traditional gender rules.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I think there is a clear distinction between so-called "bent gender" and transgender. Perhaps that's where the hangup is. But then again, I suspect there are other influences out there on some people's opinions. There is no question that all of us here are bending traditional gender rules.

Absolutely!   Transgender surely implies a physical (surgical) transition to resemble (in some views 'achieve') the other gender.   Anything else is some degree of cross-dressing or transvestism to adopt alternative-gender clothing and/or appearance, whether to pass as that other gender or not.

(I am not looking to start a debate here on terminology or behaviour - merely to emphasise that motive, desire and sexuality cannot be determined solely on the basis of appearance and clothing.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cali said:

Sorry SF, when you wear high heel shoes you are on the spectrum. But not very far.

I on the other hand are further down that spectrum on a daily basis.

I live my life close to this idea from Eddie Izzard:

An interviewer asked: Eddie why are you wearing a woman’s dress? “It’s not a woman’s dress,” he replied. “It’s my dress.”

Although much of what I wear might start in the women's section, once I wear it, it becomes a man's clothes.

An interesting article. Well, all things considered, I don't mind being on that particular spectrum, in fact, I cherish that distinction.

No need to apologize. I don't focus on labels, and I won't be "pigeon holed."  I merely do what I enjoy while keeping the wife and family happy.  It's a wonderful, wonderful  thang.....  

Don't worry, be happy...  sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Variations of this Balmain boot with a 2.5" heel are being sold at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue.  

The riding boot for men being sold at Yoox competes with price points from Tory Burch for similar riding boot style from women's department.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 6.21.24 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 11.30.22 PM copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, RonC said:

Love the violinist - wish there were some comments from him regarding his heels.  And nice to see a company making heels for a man's foot shape.

There is a comment on his March 26 photo

11 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

The second pic is very androgenous.  it appears as if he may be wearing makeup as well

You could be right. I hadn’t noticed that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. X said:

The second pic is very androgenous.  it appears as if he may be wearing makeup as well

Can we be sure it is a man?   Either way, I really like the sandals, but the over-long wrinkled trousers rather spoil the look imho (but someone is sure to tell me that this is the 'fashion').

• Like 1

That’s how chicago is. No one really says anything or even looks at me.   Over 5 years and only 2-3 negative comments when I’m out but may positive comments and conversations. image.thumb.jpg.7360249e721efad5675b64bd5b5e0045.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.3305edf445e6bcfa99eb33768751f1e9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d34099bb0a4d108e0c02e78b6e716572.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f99cc75c41a38b7f8df5b2eb1a6bb039.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4ba590ce2ab2c32c814548b2efa73b74.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c70c98f23ee2d908401e9f9e8065dc09.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.30d2553eee76fff561a7d7a8c38b36d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8d1275299b43e35631fd7156972f3616.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.71427f48d28c30162cf2a9353b17cac8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8738c828d4b48e61704c6820b5375f1d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.df4fe6e1cf939080233207202e649a7f.jpeg0BF24162-D52C-46D8-BCE8-B949655B0D6A.thumb.jpeg.be8d422928f47f611357800c89d7d049.jpeg45DC3E24-D1FE-436B-B1DF-49C87A65775F.thumb.jpeg.62caf283a3f5469a9445a9764d60a014.jpeg532B25D0-3CA5-4C97-AE8C-A4E394BD6C64.thumb.jpeg.3cb587cb6a7167c8cdbb6ac76366bc12.jpegD917D826-8E5F-4EE1-8CCD-B924DEE87450.thumb.jpeg.081e21f2974a91854f8cfe8c260e1526.jpegC419C085-C52A-4C74-A1C7-02128E1700E2.thumb.jpeg.a49607c48fb508771b55e5ff2836a2d2.jpegB9565D80-67B5-41FA-87BB-F0FB995C76E3.thumb.jpeg.62b5464c397a6f10a71437b082647da3.jpegDA305944-7491-4855-A54A-18163A7EEDD1.thumb.jpeg.608bd97d6e8b56a0decb0a37d99d429e.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, RonC said:

I wasn't so sure the second pick was a man either.  I think it might be a female.

His name is Julian DuFour.  

Today on the Upper East Side I saw a guy in a doorman building wearing ballet flats.  While not heels, it's a similar interest: https://balletflatsformen.wordpress.com

Edited by kneehighs

Very similar indeed. Similar fears, similar breakthroughs and aha! moments, similar recognition that guys can wear whatever they want and nobody really cares; the demons are in our own heads!

I wear ballet flats quite often. I still love wearing heels, but there are lots of times when I'm in the mood for flats. I've collected quite a few pairs over the past few years. That's a particularly good web site you cited above.

Steve

• Like 2

@CAT with that collection of stunning looks everywhere you go, I'm sure Chicago is a city I put on my list of places to visit before I dye.

You wear them well!

I really like the cape that goes well with skirts and boots, all matching colours. It's just too nice of a look.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Harry Styles wore heels at today's 2019 Met Gala.  Not only was he an attendee, but he was a Co-Host.  

Here is a link to his video interview with Vogue.com.  He is wearing Gucci and is with the Creative Director of Gucci, Alessandro Michelle.   

Here is Vogue.com's review of his outfit: https://www.vogue.com/article/harry-styles-met-gala-2019-gucci. Note, Vogue makes a special effort to show that the lace tops for men "trend isn't going anywhere yet."  

Apparently the boots are from the Spring 2019 Gucci Cruise.  I took a quick look at the collection.  Looked like both women and men both wore the same.  Gucci is selling the Patent Leather Boot from both their women's and men's side on their site.  Gucci sales were up from 2017 33-36%+ in 2018.  Gucci is noted as being one of the more profitable companies in luxury fashion -- owned by Kering. 

Harry Styles Met Gala.jpg

Edited by kneehighs
Added Gucci Resort 2019 links
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. X said:

I think we all know where Harry Styles got his Inspiration from.

Styles was styled by stylist Harry Lambert for the Met Gala.  Lambert, who has a portfolio full of gender fluid styling, has been styling Styles for years now.

Edited by kneehighs

On 5/7/2019 at 2:32 AM, Mr. X said:

I think we all know where Harry Styles got his Inspiration from.

But I don’t want to be a pirate

Edited by Tech
Do not quote the actual images themselves.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2