Jump to content

hiddenheels

Second hand stores

Recommended Posts

mlroseplant,

One has to check thrift stores often as the merchandise changes faster then regular retail. As I've said before thrift stores save money but also one isn't contributing to landfill issues or the slave wages involved in so much of clothing manufacturing.

Heelster,

Plato's Closet is based in Wichita, Kansas and is like Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul in that it offers inexpensive merchandise donated by the public. Where it differs is that the merchandise was often sold to Plato's Closet for a small sum of money. Typically one takes in clothing or shoes and a machine grades the condition and one is paid accordingly. They typically take in clothing or shoes that are not far outside the fashion cycle. While they normally pay something like $5-10 for a pair of shoes and sell them for $12-20 it offers soe incentive for people to donate there. There's one near me and I've gone there a few times and come home with something a few times. Of course wearing heels into the store just adds to the experience at least for me. :fine: HappyinHeels

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2019 at 6:35 AM, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

One has to check thrift stores often as the merchandise changes faster then regular retail. As I've said before thrift stores save money but also one isn't contributing to landfill issues or the slave wages involved in so much of clothing manufacturing.

Heelster,

Plato's Closet is based in Wichita, Kansas and is like Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul in that it offers inexpensive merchandise donated by the public. Where it differs is that the merchandise was often sold to Plato's Closet for a small sum of money. Typically one takes in clothing or shoes and a machine grades the condition and one is paid accordingly. They typically take in clothing or shoes that are not far outside the fashion cycle. While they normally pay something like $5-10 for a pair of shoes and sell them for $12-20 it offers soe incentive for people to donate there. There's one near me and I've gone there a few times and come home with something a few times. Of course wearing heels into the store just adds to the experience at least for me. :fine: HappyinHeels

We have one a them Plato's Closet stores up in West Des Moines. I have idly driven by it a number of times, but I've never until now thought anything of it. I might have to check it out one of these days, now that I know what it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, mlroseplant said:

We have one a them Plato's Closet stores up in West Des Moines. I have idly driven by it a number of times, but I've never until now thought anything of it. I might have to check it out one of these days, now that I know what it is.

West Des Moines?  Tasty Tacos?  Roosevelt High School?  Debate Team antics....you're striking close to HS home there.  Almost want to run and set up my virtual reality machine to Google Earth my way to Des Moines for the memories.

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iowa just seems like an unpretentious place where residents enjoy life and one another and visitors make pleasant memories in some corner of the state. Major league baseball just announced they will have a game between the NY Yankees and the Chicago White Sox next year on the original site of the movie "Field of Dreams". That, in my mind, is one way of saluting this quintessential American state. Where deep black soil often is more than a metre deep, silos and grain elevators are the skyscrapers of the prairie, and a wallet dropped is a wallet promptly returned. It represents the best of the American character and is, in the minds of many, perhaps the first Midwestern state people think of. Time spent in Iowa will probably add to your lifespan. I love my Wisconsin but I salute our neighbour to the west. It really is a place worth seeing and experiencing for yourself. HappyinHeels

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kneehighs said:

West Des Moines?  Tasty Tacos?  Roosevelt High School?  Debate Team antics....you're striking close to HS home there.  Almost want to run and set up my virtual reality machine to Google Earth my way to Des Moines for the memories.

Yes, indeed! And all of those things still exist today, probably even the debate team antics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has taken an interesting turn! My dear wife is from Iowa, and I, with no prior association with that state, have developed a special fondness for the place. Though I especially love the western US, I always looked forward to visiting her family in Iowa. Entering the town where she grew up, I always felt that I had stepped into a sort of Norman Rockwell world.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also adore the western United States and my yuccas and cacti are evidence of my fondness for that region. They grow rather well in Wisconsin actually. As to Iowa, I would add that while many homes and cars come with standard locks how many Iowans are actually using them is quite another story. It's a familiar story around Wisconsin. That's one measure of a high-quality place to be. No matter where one may later move  I think a part of Iowa is ever present in all Iowans no matter where they roam. Not surprising many Iowans choose to be buried in their native state. Must be a connection to the soil. I have read that 90%  of the most fertile and ph-balanced soil in the United States is within 300 miles/500km of Iowa. No wonder Iowans are of such good character :fine: HappyinHeels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to shop thrift stores for heels.  Savers is my favorite because they keep their shoes by size and prices are always in the $3-$10 range.  You all are correct, that the size I wear (10 women) is fairly limited in selection, but I have been lucky on occasion.

When I go in I look at all of the shoes from size 5 on up and always check out the highest heels.  What amazes me, is how unused most of these shoes are.  There usually is very little wear on the sole.  I don't know if it is because as others have said, they are just too high and uncomfortable and therefore, donated to second hand stores or maybe they were worn one time for a wedding and discarded.  I still like the second hand shoe aisles because I try to picture who bought the heels and how they looked on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spikes said:

I love to shop thrift stores for heels.  Savers is my favorite because they keep their shoes by size and prices are always in the $3-$10 range.  You all are correct, that the size I wear (10 women) is fairly limited in selection, but I have been lucky on occasion.

When I go in I look at all of the shoes from size 5 on up and always check out the highest heels.  What amazes me, is how unused most of these shoes are.  There usually is very little wear on the sole.  I don't know if it is because as others have said, they are just too high and uncomfortable and therefore, donated to second hand stores or maybe they were worn one time for a wedding and discarded.  I still like the second hand shoe aisles because I try to picture who bought the heels and how they looked on them.

I love shopping at Savers up here in the northeast also!  A much better selection, properly displayed.  I have found a few size 10 boots there also....And, I always attempt to try on smaller sizes that interest me, hoping they were mismarked, or the sizing is off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using High Heel Place, you agree to our Terms of Use.