People Don't Look At Men's Feet

onyourtoes

Out shopping around last night. I was wearing a pair of black round toe boots with narrow, but quiet, 4 inch heels. My jeans covered the heels partly, but I'm sure the heels were plainly visible when I walked. In a store I ran into a woman I knew fairly well from a yoga class. (I only mention yoga to point out we normally only meet with bare feet) You've probably experienced it, the tension of trying to hold a normal coversation with someone while waiting for them to look down. Hands in pockets trying to sneak pants lower, slouching a bit and generally seeming in a hurry to discourage long conversation. I was nervously muddling along, when she paused and said, "I never noticed you're so tall." If my relationship with her was more than strangers in the same yoga class, I might have pointed out my footwear. Instead I mumbled something about I probably shouldn't slouch in yoga and said My good-byes. If I was another woman she would have said that, then stepped back and looked at my feet. But, being a guy, it never crossed her mind. Another experience this year: I was out at lunch with a woman from my work. I was wearing my Ugg boots (sorry!), which I got over a year ago and have worn frequently in the office. We were getting out of the car when she suddenly said, "You've got Uggs!" this was probably the 20th time I had worn them out with her and it took 2 winters for her to notice. The moral? Wear what you want, nobody will notice.

I was nervously muddling along, when she paused and said, "I never noticed you're so tall."

I have had this happen several times. People making a remark about that I seem taller, but never looking at my feet.

And of course I was trying to stand in such a way that I would face them, so that even if they would look down, they

would see only the front of the shoes.

I have had it only once that somebody noticed and made a loud remark. This happened at my work and it was the

director(!) "Hey, those are woman's shoes!" Me: "Yes, they are very comfortable. I have a tough time buying shoes

because my feet are so small. Not like yours (he has very big feet)." He: "That hurts. But OK, I started it."

After that there was some small talk and that was it. The heels on the shoes I was wearing are only about two

inches but quite noticeable.

Goes to show that if you behave normally and are not defensive about it, there is no problem, unless your shoes

are completely the wrong choice for the environment. At my work the women do not wear more than 2 inch heels

either (very occasional exception, but that is a case by itself).

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

I have had the "didn't realise you were so tall comment" and have tried a few replies but now adage I just say " I'm not, I've got my heels on" nit had any issues yet.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Exactly!!! Love yourself, show off your heels, and embrace the world for you will not get a redo here on Earth so make it count!! I have never had anything but a great experience at a shoe store when a salesperson notices and I simply show them my footwear. It's like gaining instant credibility and great service always follows. HappyinHeels

I have to disagree. I was chatting with 2 of my neighbors (both male) at different times and both of them noticed my well covered boots right away. I wasn't wearing anything with a heel either. They were suede boots with a 1/2 inch heel.

They don't look at your feet unless your heels are super loud like sex in the city girls. I was at jean machine looking for really long pants to wear with 5" heels. The girl said: you need long pants because your legs are so long. I said they're not long, look at these killer heels. She was like, love them! You have better style than most women! Ashley.

I have to disagree too. I have noticed women always look down. I have been told many times by women that shoes tell a lot about the wearer. Clean well taken care of shoes say a lot about the guy. As such I have rarely ventured in heels without being noticed. Of course my heels are clean and well cared for.

My future sister in law (stepdaughters mum in law to be) thought I'd lost weight, it was the second time she'd seen me in heels. She's deaf (as with the rest of her family) and normally more visually aware as the deaf community tends to be. Al

I have to agree with Jkrenzer on this one. The women I know always look down. Even when not wearing heels they frequently complement me on my choice of footwear. Maybe women are afraid to comment on men wearing heels. They might not know what to say or might even want to avoid a possible awkward situation.

Check my site: www.incredibleheels.com

I beg to differ. I've had women compliment me on my thigh high boots. The concept of people not looking at men's feet is a fallacy.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have also noticed that most women do look down and check what I am wearing. Not so much with the guys though. Jeff, how could they miss your thigh high boots! You always look good!. Jim

I also, know that women do look at what I have on my feet. I receive compliments on my heels, whether they are shoes or boots, from the ladies, especially from the ones that know, I like to wear heels. A lot depends on the circumstances, when you are wearing your heels, IMO. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Jeff, maybe they are just looking at your thighs instead of your feet lol.

Hmm! That's a thought! HA!

I have also noticed that most women do look down and check what I am wearing. Not so much with the guys though. Jeff, how could they miss your thigh high boots! You always look good!. Jim

Thanks muchly!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

What need do people have to look down, if the high heels aren't obvious? They aren't the ones who want to change the norm and have the freedom to wear heels as they choose. So give them a better view of your footwear choice. There is strength in numbers. The more people see men wearing heels the more they will have less to say about it being awkward and surprised. Like some guys have found, their heels and the ability to walk in them are envied by those who can see your exceptionally stylish and higher footwear.

I totally agree with this. Although I've never worn "true" heels publicly as in stillettos or something like that, my footwear choices aren't usually entirely conventional either. I have a rather new pair of clog boots made by Multnomah Leather, and albeit they certainly aren't "girly" by any means, they do sport a 3 inch block heel and about 1" platform. I'm an engineer/utilties director and even crawl down into manholes with these, etc., but no one every notices them or comments on these wooden sole work boots. Consequently, they are incredibly comfortable and I certainly intend to order more boots and clogs from them. I've also worn plenty of 4" heeled cowboy boots, and I honestly don't think anyone ever notices them. I'm rather convinced that since the average male is so absolutely "fashion dead" when it comes to footwear, that no one expects anything different. I'm sure some hot pink 6" stilletos would probably attract attention, but I'm not planning on doing that, at least not in public....lol.

What need do people have to look down, if the high heels aren't obvious? They aren't the ones who want to change the norm and have the freedom to wear heels as they choose. So give them a better view of your footwear choice. There is strength in numbers. The more people see men wearing heels the more they will have less to say about it being awkward and surprised. Like some guys have found, their heels and the ability to walk in them are envied by those who can see your exceptionally stylish and higher footwear.

I have been showing quite a bit more heel lately, but it's been sort of by accident. Now, 15 years later, I finally understand why my ex-wife used to get so mad at me for putting her good jeans in the clothes dryer, because over time, the pant legs do get shorter!

To address the original topic more directly, I've had recent experiences both ways. I was in the county administration building last week renewing my car registration. This building used to be the old high school (circa 1925), and has stone floors with long hallways. I was wearing what I call my "cowboy shoes"--short booties with a 3 1/2" heel and no platform which appear from the front to be cowboy boots at first glance. These shoes are quite noisy. I walked down the long hallway, and I swear that, in a pinch, I could have been a substitute for the cannons in Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture." A woman standing at the window waiting to pay her property taxes immediately turned to see what could be making such a racket and watched me for several seconds, BUT DID NOT LOOK DOWN! Not even a little bit. My first thought was, "What is wrong with you?" Haha.

On the other hand, I had a guy notice my Michael Kors loafter/clogs (4 1/2" heel) at Costco recently, and he was standing in line ahead of me. The comment was the first negative reaction I've gotten, but that's another story. Of course, it's possible that the reason he noticed was because I had raised my foot behind me, and I reached down and freed my hem, which had become trapped between the bottom of my foot and the shoe. . . which was due to the aforementioned shrinking of my pantlegs from putting my jeans through the dryer. That drives me bananas. Time for some mule-specific jeans, I guess.

In conclusion, I can't fully agree with the assertion that NOBODY looks at men's feet. I do find that as long as I keep the heel height under 3 1/2", people seem to pay little or no attention.

I beg to differ. I've had women compliment me on my thigh high boots. The concept of people not looking at men's feet is a fallacy.

Jeff - I was going to say that thight boots dont really count in this thread. It's kind of hard to miss them, but on reflection I remenber a number of times when I was wearing thigh boots with 5" stilettos some people really didn't notice.

I really believe that if you present yourself with confidence people will see that confidence more than what you are wearing, and accept it. If you are persenting yourself as "I shouldn't be wearing these shoes and hope you don't notice" you might as well wear a sign that reads "Don't look at my shoes."

Unless you wear something with a lot of contrast, either color or brightness (contrast attracts attention), no one will notice. But if they do, most folks are too wrapped up in themselves that they don't care what you are wearing. For the few that do notice, you might be making their day.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

People don't look at mens feet if they are quiet and not too pretty looking. There is one exception, I go to the same restaurant most of the time. They always check out my feet because I always wear heels. Not in a bad way. They like nice shoes, and I like the attention. Its a win-win situation.

As one who does wear extremely eye catching footwear as a guy on a daily basis in public at work at the movie theatre working with the public, yes, guys do notice what I'm wearing and the response is mostly neutral to positive. I have felt on many occasions that I was being eyed by other guys out of jealousy, but not with malice but respect.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.