EMO Guys Wearing Heels?

onyourtoes

I have no idea what EMO is. That being said, what's up with this Yahoo! answers thing? Many people have posted links and it seems to me that everybody who replies to them have devolved back to reptiles with half the reasoning skills. I don't see any value in their opinions and I would say that anybody who spends time replying to a board with such sartorial wit was "guys in heels are gay" are simply a waste of bandwidth. I would make some crack about nerds in their mother's basements, but since some of my best friends have been nerds who live in their mother's basement I will pass on the gross generalization. Frankly, I think we all know what people post on the Internet about guys in heels under the cover of anonymity that only a carefully crafted screen name can provide (eg. HappyFeat). Sorry about the rant...carry on...;-)

Style is built from the ground up!

I (ofcourse);-) like the so called "EMO" look, but somthing like reading this in yahoo answers is only reading others reactions to guys in skinny pants & high heels (read: STUPID!!):w00t2: like I really CARE to see a long list of other people that either like or dislike this style for other guys & these idiot "opinions" of theirs when asked the question (some of which are quite immature)

Yes agreed.....I am not EMO but I think is a trend that has it own space and for some reason is adopted, therefore it deserves to be respected, as long as it doesnt hurt anyone or anything. see my responce on that yahoo treath. similar to this. In fact, accordint to happyfeet's suggested website, Emo meaning "emotional" then we all are emos, in a way. cheers

V. Morpho

Since I am now feeling guilty about my rant . . .

I don't think you have any reason to feel guilty about your observations. More than half the postings on that yahoo site contain the words ". . . I hate . . ."

Such tolerance! Such open-mindedness! Such intellectual grasp! I thought, in polite society we were supposed to limit the use of "I hate. . .", especially when directed at people who merely dress differently.

You are right, that site isn't worth the bandwidth.

Have a happy time!

I too agree with Magickman. Regardless of the topic posted at Yahoo answers, you'll always get a lot of immature answers. Just read through all the "I Hate" and the "That is Gay" until the intelligent answers pop up. As for EMO, maybe it's the catalyst that will eventually lead to acceptance of heels for all. TC

IMO, this has nothing to do with Emo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo#Fashion_and_stereotype

Only one post on Answers.com made that association. Sounds like something else is going on.

Yep, as usual there are the usual knee-jerk reactions.

I liked this response though------

"It would be totally cool with me because I like guys who wear what they want without caring what anyone else thinks. It's attractive." ;-)

Always High-Heel Responsibly

Yahoo! Answers has some good questions and answers, unfortunately, you've got to know the answer to know if one is right. Many times the asker will choose a best answer that's wrong because it's what they wanted to hear. If best answer is chosen by voting, often the winner is someone who remembered to go back and vote for their own answer! (it's allowed) Many questions are juvenile, incomplete, incoherent, misspelled, inappropriate, or something nobody could possibly know. Q. Help me find my cell phone? A. You left it at my house last night. Q. If you fall down a flight of stairs, can you become paralyzed or lose your ability to walk? A. Is this a theoretical question, or did you just drag yourself across the floor to check Yahoo! Answers before calling 911?

Being 18 and somewhat knowledgeable of the current emo scene I feel as though I have to comment.

The most common look of emo is tight jeans, makeup, and straight, choppy hair.

http://www.im-net.hu/images/wallpaper_images/1_pete_wentz1024.jpg

That is pete wentz. The bassists for the popular "emo" band Fall Out Boy (whom I like VERY much). Personally, I like the emo look. Although, I will never understand the "emo" stereotype as everyone has some emotion in their lives.

About the heels, personally, I have never seen any sort of heels related to any sort of emo look. But it is in no way that far-fetched for the look at all.

Also, that site that HappyFeat seems pretty cool. But I am in no way that knowledgeable of emo music so I would listen to that for all your emo clarifications. ;-)

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

The way I read this EMO is somewhat like a local bdsm group I use to frequent at the munches/get togethers. I would show up in a pair of my trendy high heel boots, with some of the ladies impressed with what I would wear, while others I felt were somewhat either uncomfortable with my wearing woman's high heel boots or just possibly jealous I could walk so well in them. Those who were honest enough to say what they thought of my heel wearing were somewhat placed in the outcast list. I finally got fed up with them and no longer frequent there get togethers anymore. I feel the people of that answered the yahoo question somewhat deserve the same. If their egos are brusied, I am sorry. But I am not going to change what I do because of them. My 2 cents.

The way I read this EMO is somewhat like a local bdsm group I use to frequent at the munches/get togethers. I would show up in a pair of my trendy high heel boots, with some of the ladies impressed with what I would wear, while others I felt were somewhat either uncomfortable with my wearing woman's high heel boots or just possibly jealous I could walk so well in them. Those who were honest enough to say what they thought of my heel wearing were somewhat placed in the outcast list. I finally got fed up with them and no longer frequent there get togethers anymore. I feel the people of that answered the yahoo question somewhat deserve the same. If their egos are brusied, I am sorry. But I am not going to change what I do because of them. My 2 cents.

Amen brotha. In today's America there is no reason that we should have to cater to the whims of the masses. Despite how we want to live our lives, as long as we aren't forcing anyone else to do everything the way we do than there is no reason for everyone to force their views on us. It's just this ridiculous idea that everyone has that they should force their views on everyone else. Oi.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

IMO, this has nothing to do with Emo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo#Fashion_and_stereotype

Only one post on Answers.com made that association. Sounds like something else is going on.

Yep, as usual there are the usual knee-jerk reactions.

Knee-jerk and moronic. The opinions of the closed-minded who don't have enough working brain cells to figure out that shoes has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. And even one were to try to educate these idiots about that, they'd still refuse to accept that reality. In their tiny minds, why let facts get in the way of a good insult?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I know little of Emo and care even less. But I have seen the term associated with certain styles of shoes advertised in the UK on eBay etc. The 'winklepicker revival' seems to have some Emo sponsorship and cuban-heeled boots like those in my avatar are supposedly Emo-friendly too.

As I am three times the age of what I believe to be the typical Emo bloke, I must take care not to let the side down. Now, where did I leave my eyeliner ...? ;-)

The only thing I've noticed about the term "emo" is that they seem to get the "emo look" confused with the "goth look", and tend to call one the other and vice versa. I know a bit about the "goth look" but haven't heard too much about emo, although there are varying viewpoints about it. Too much of a gray area to get into, and I'll just leave it at that.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Yeah and a lot of guys call themselves "goth" when they should really say tranny! I knew an american guy who used to call himself a "happy goth" because he didn't like to wear black but wore bright colours instead... the thing is, he would dress from head to toe in female clothes (including heels) wear a wig and false boobs. He wouldn't have it that he was a cross dresser though! When I was a school in the states there was a kid there who had spikey hair and used to call himself a punk... I mean his hair wasn't even dyed and he wore normal clothes!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I've joined this thread kinda late, and as far as I can see this morning the majority of the responses on here are now pro men in heels (or pro fashion freedom) It breaks down like this: 10 people were in favour of men in heels or fashion freedom 6 people were against men in heels (not Emos themselves) 3 people didn't express an opinon either way I think that's not bad at all! Spiker.

To me, Emo is a teenage cult thing, where young guys and girls get involved in being depressed, getting anorexic, squeezing their emaciated bodies into very tight jeans, and self harming (cutting arms with razor blades etc). I never thought it had any association with wearing heels, unlike say Goth might. Was I right or wrong about my perceived stereotype? I'm off to check it out on the web! Edit: I was pretty close according to Wikipedia. Footwear is usually trainers, or skate shoes. Also associated with a (now) blurred style of music, and long hair fringes, brushed to one side.

I got the same impression as you when I went to a bdsm club in high heel boots. The doorman who has a foot fetish seemed fine about it and the two transexuals there were fine - even encouraging - with it too.

The rest seemed to really dislike my look, one of the doms looked like he wanted to punch my face in and gave me dirty looks across the room all night and about 97% of the woman there were at least 10-15 years older than me and were heavily overweight with huugge calves.

Didn't take me long to reach the conclusion that they were jealous of me because I was wearing awesome womens boots, I could walk quite well in them and I was male. They must have hated me.

Two women seemed to tolerate it but I could tell they really didn't like it either, they were just more polite. I went back once after that, got the same impression again, and never been back.

Maybe need to find some clubs down in England that are more tolerant.

As for EMO's, let them wear what they want. Not sure women will ever be happy with us wearing high heels/boots, it's their (not so)secret weapon they like to use on us men, they know the effect heels have on us, on themselves and they're not prepared to share this!! lol

Yahoo! Answers has some good questions and answers, unfortunately, you've got to know the answer to know if one is right.

Many times the asker will choose a best answer that's wrong because it's what they wanted to hear. If best answer is chosen by voting, often the winner is someone who remembered to go back and vote for their own answer! (it's allowed)

Many questions are juvenile, incomplete, incoherent, misspelled, inappropriate, or something nobody could possibly know.

Q. Help me find my cell phone?

A. You left it at my house last night.

Q. If you fall down a flight of stairs, can you become paralyzed or lose your ability to walk?

A. Is this a theoretical question, or did you just drag yourself across the floor to check Yahoo! Answers before calling 911?

Just to mention That out out of interest of getting the best answer...I did.

Maybe because I just mention the philosophy and not exactly the definition of the term EMO.

check the answers, many people had a point though.

And after i condemn the ignorants, many people started to mention valuable points, either pro or con, but not only stupid answers as how at the begining of the tread.

V. Morpho

When I was a school in the states there was a kid there who had spikey hair and used to call himself a punk... I mean his hair wasn't even dyed and he wore normal clothes!

Now, I was never, nor am I, the authority on the punk lifestyle. But knowing a lot of friends who were punks and being a part of the scene the look doesn't make a punk. If anything, that is the mark of a poser. Anyone can spike their hair or tear up their jeans and wear offensive band shirts.. It's the people who agree with the philosophies of the punk lifestyle and go to shows in their local scene.

However, I will never consider myself a punk. I just wasn't. It's not because I was all condescending about it. I just wasn't going to be a poser. But, I went to shows. I don't particularly find cops all that helpful at times. And I did some punk stuff with my friends.

tl;dr: a punk does not HAVE to look like one. Lifestyle and mindset are more important.

The same goes for emo, or any sort of scene or lifestyle.

He just liked the look of spiked hair, perhaps? (Can every man that wears high heels name three of the most popular designers of woman's heels?)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Here's one connection between high heels and emo. Pete Wentz, often associated with emo music and style said he likes to wear Jessica Simpson's heels around the house:

http://www.sodahead.com/question/65034/pete-wentz-from-fall-out-boy-likes-to-wear-heels-when-at-home-a-little-gay-or-just-safe-with-his-sexuality/

I have seen an EMO like style around for a while on younger guys, though still not seeing any other guys in heels around, but I live in an area that is not even close to the bleeding edge of style. Well, I might not get what EMO is really all about, but heck, if the style can help bring more heel wearing males into the mainstream, I will support them. ;-)

In fact, emo is about conforming to a trend which says that one should at least superficially lead oneself into depression and self-harm. Instead of becoming more mature by taking responsibility for your feelings and improving your personality by keeping in touch with them, an emo is supposed to sit back, cry, write poems and do nothing to overcome their self-imposed negative outlook. Such is the subculture's ideology; it's dangerous because it could lead one into real depression. This trend isn't new at all, we've already had something simmilar: in 19th century, masses of young people committed suicides under the influence of Goethe's "The Sorrows of young Werther". And BTW: in the street, I've seen an emo boy with his [probably] girlfriend, and he was wearing eyeliner. Yay! I usually apply make-up only to concerts / parties...

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

In fact, emo is about conforming to a trend which says that one should at least superficially lead oneself into depression and self-harm. Instead of becoming more mature by taking responsibility for your feelings and improving your personality by keeping in touch with them, an emo is supposed to sit back, cry, write poems and do nothing to overcome their self-imposed negative outlook. Such is the subculture's ideology; it's dangerous because it could lead one into real depression. This trend isn't new at all, we've already had something simmilar: in 19th century, masses of young people committed suicides under the influence of Goethe's "The Sorrows of young Werther".

And BTW: in the street, I've seen an emo boy with his [probably] girlfriend, and he was wearing eyeliner. Yay! I usually apply make-up only to concerts / parties...

Personally I think that's a gross overstatement. I'm not speaking for everyone I'm sure, but it seems that most of the men here haven't been through a tough break-up in awhile. Again, not speaking for everyone, and don't really know. Please don't take offense at the generalization, since I'm not talking about you specifically.

I'm 18. And I went through high school. I know what's up about bein' down. An "emo"tional personality is just something that comes from that sort of sad attitude. I personally at some point reach closure and go back to being a somewhat non-sad teenager. But others don't/can't. I don't really ever think emo people are overreacting to their depression since it manifests in many ways.

It's a tough thing to describe. I still don't know what "emo" really is. Some consider it a scene, while others consider it a lifestyle. I however am not one to make the final say.