mlroseplant

The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

176 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I don't see why it takes a week, or sometimes a week and a half, to replace heel tips (or top lifts, as they are known in the biz).

My cobbler is also quite busy with 3-5 day turnaround on a resoling job but he will do heel tips and toe plates while I wait (at most 20 minutes).  He is also the guy that recommended flaring the heel tips for longer wear-ability (or maybe he didn't want to see a guy in thigh boots with 5" stilettos in his shop for a longer time :penitent:).  These days a good cobbler is hard to find.  If you find one, support your local merchant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mlroseplant,

Since you're an electrician by trade and can master that perhaps you could take on another electrifying trade like learning how to resole shoes, install new tips, etc. Some years ago I bought a shoe stretcher and some shoe dye and have stretched many shoes successfully for a better fit as well as bought two of a particular type of wedge sandal or pump and dyed them a different color. The majority of shoe cobblers in the USA are of advanced age and another generation needs to learn the craft. You'll have the satisfaction of learning something new and perhaps last frustration waiting on someone else's schedule.

Eventually I am going to make a pair of exotic heels for myself. I am talking about something with a heel of at least 9"/22.5cm with the last made from probably basswood. I have a number of basswood trees (large-leaf lindens) on our 40 acres in far northern WIsconsin and this wood is lightweight and very easy to work. I can use the top from another shoe I hardly use and adapt it to the shoe last I create. That's the plan.

Give it some thought. HappyinHeels

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

Since you're an electrician by trade and can master that perhaps you could take on another electrifying trade like learning how to resole shoes, install new tips, etc. Some years ago I bought a shoe stretcher and some shoe dye and have stretched many shoes successfully for a better fit as well as bought two of a particular type of wedge sandal or pump and dyed them a different color. The majority of shoe cobblers in the USA are of advanced age and another generation needs to learn the craft. You'll have the satisfaction of learning something new and perhaps last frustration waiting on someone else's schedule.

Eventually I am going to make a pair of exotic heels for myself. I am talking about something with a heel of at least 9"/22.5cm with the last made from probably basswood. I have a number of basswood trees (large-leaf lindens) on our 40 acres in far northern WIsconsin and this wood is lightweight and very easy to work. I can use the top from another shoe I hardly use and adapt it to the shoe last I create. That's the plan.

Give it some thought. HappyinHeels

That sounds like a wonderful idea, except for the fact that I have zero interest. Plus, I am just not artistically talented in that way. I can bolt stuff together just fine, but that sort of finery holds no thrill with me. If I ever get a reduction in hours, I plan on spending more time on my sound art.

Speaking of cobbling, I just got my Michael Kors sandals back from the cobbler, the ones which were a week late because evidently the note attached to them didn't do anything more to get their attention than the scrawled work order. They turned out OK. At least the feel and the structure of the shoes seems to be unaltered. The true color of these is a dark bronze, it's a barely-detectable metallic color, and it's way more wearable color than I thought it would be, as it seems to go with just about everything.

I have an identical pair in black, which have exactly the same issues as the bronze pair: Broken strap, super thin leather soles worn out, heels well on their way to the end of their service life. I figure I'll take the black pair to this place called El Zapatito for the exact same repairs, and then I'll get to compare and contrast. How scientific is that?

I would have worn both pair a lot more last summer if they had been available. I look forward to next summer!

 

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

If I ever get a reduction in hours, I plan on spending more time on my sound art.

With the newly repaired Michael Kors sandals (which look great) I'm expecting to hear a bit of Mellow Cello. :penitent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly TBG. Maybe he'll follow it up with some sexy saxophone, a crumpet with your trumpet, or some horn in the morn'? Any old way I'm sure he'll do it in heeled comfort :).  HappyinHeels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2016 at 8:07 AM, Thighbootguy said:

With the newly repaired Michael Kors sandals (which look great) I'm expecting to hear a bit of Mellow Cello. :penitent:

Here ya go! Don't know that I'd call it "mellow," so much as "slightly agitated." To keep relevance to the thread, I believe I was wearing my Steve Madden "Barbb" sandals during this worship. 

 

IMG_6139.PNG

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the video, but you left out the best part, the applause at the end. :clap:  Nice playing down the neck as things get a little touchy down there. That appears to be a serious cello with a micro tuner only on the "A" string (mine is a student clunker with micro tuners on each string).  There has been a lot of discussion about a guy's wearing heels freeing up the creative side of the person.  I sure looks like it works for you.  Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Here ya go! Don't know that I'd call it "mellow," so much as "slightly agitated." To keep relevance to the thread, I believe I was wearing my Steve Madden "Barbb" sandals during this worship. 

 

IMG_6139.PNG

Looking, and sounding great buddy!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Thank you for the video, but you left out the best part, the applause at the end. :clap:  Nice playing down the neck as things get a little touchy down there. That appears to be a serious cello with a micro tuner only on the "A" string (mine is a student clunker with micro tuners on each string).  There has been a lot of discussion about a guy's wearing heels freeing up the creative side of the person.  I sure looks like it works for you.  Well done.

You also no doubt noticed that in addition to the video ending suddenly and abruptly, the first couple of seconds were cut off as well. This is the way my wife takes every video. I have given up requesting that we get a little bit of extra on either end. When my 7 year old gets to the point where he can hold the camera perfectly still for several minutes, this problem will be solved.

Very observant about the fine tuners. It doesn't have so much to do with the quality of the instrument as what type of strings one chooses. I have used gut strings (aluminum wound) for years, but with a steel core A, for some added brightness up top. With gut strings, fine tuners are pretty useless, as you have to physically turn the tuning pegs a lot farther to change the pitch compared to a synthetic core string.

As to heels affecting creativity, I have no opinion about that. I've only been wearing heels for about four years, and I know I used to be a better player in many ways than what I am now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a child's birthday party at a roller skating rink this afternoon. It's been a few years, and the rental skates didn't run quite straight. Still, a good time was had by all. 3 people, including me, wore heels to the party. Can you guess which ones are mine?

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6941.PNG

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Can you guess which ones are mine?

I suspect it was the 5" platform pumps which would look nice with the black pants.

I remember back when I used to be a regular at the skating rink (has my own skates).  Back then I used to bounce if/when I fell.  Now I'd shatter into a thousand pieces. :penitent:  I do remember one time trying to rent a pair of white high topped white girl's skates (the guy's skates were black) but they didn't have a pair in my size.  I think that was probably my first attempt at acquiring women's shoes.

Take it easy and I hope you still bounce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you should mention whit skates, when I was young I had a pair of high topped skates and thought that it would be cool if they were thigh high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mlroseplant.....   Uhhhh, leme try - the high heels???  Nice looking shoes, but way to high for me.  Cool that you can wear them....  Take care, Merry Christmas to you and your family.....   sf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SF said:

Mlroseplant.....   Uhhhh, leme try - the high heels???  Nice looking shoes, but way to high for me.  Cool that you can wear them....  Take care, Merry Christmas to you and your family.....   sf

Yes, mine are the high platform loafers. It actually took me a couple years to get used to them, but I loved them so much I refused to give up on them easily. Even still, since I've been slacking off on the walking (you may recall my 1,000 miles in high heels thread), by the end of the day, my feet were feeling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2016 at 9:23 AM, Thighbootguy said:

I suspect it was the 5" platform pumps which would look nice with the black pants.

I remember back when I used to be a regular at the skating rink (has my own skates).  Back then I used to bounce if/when I fell.  Now I'd shatter into a thousand pieces. :penitent:  I do remember one time trying to rent a pair of white high topped white girl's skates (the guy's skates were black) but they didn't have a pair in my size.  I think that was probably my first attempt at acquiring women's shoes.

Take it easy and I hope you still bounce.

I fell twice: Once in the seating area, and once on the rink when I was trying to figure out how to skate backwards. It's really quite a different technique than ice skating, which I have done much more recently and regularly. I still bounce pretty good for a middle aged man. Weighing less than 10 stone helps matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to prove I was actually in a movie theater last night (I go to such establishments annually at most), I had to take a hurried selfie. This is pretty much my winter uniform: Black trench coat, jeans, and some type of black boot. Pretty boring, eh?

IMG_7063.PNG

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Black trench coat, jeans, and some type of black boot. Pretty boring, eh?

Not in the least.  Quite dramatic actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So cool!  Powerful heels indeed, looks like you had a great time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks fellas, for the compliments. It may be hard to tell in this picture, but I have grown a beard for the first time in a number of years.

I do feel comfortable with this look, but I feel rather stuck with it. A Johnny-One-Note, so to speak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have grown a beard for the first time in a number of years.

I have worn a beard several times in my life.  I shaved the last one off several years ago and a close friend said she had never liked it anyway.  Recently I have enjoyed presenting an image that has a few more feminine traits and the beard was a real impediment.  Admitting to myself that that was the image I wanted to present was the impetus for shaving off the beard and that took more resolve that stepping out of the car wearing a skirt and heels.

I hadn't noticed your beard, but the overall image you present is very well done.  To my eye, the whole image, beard to heels, works very well and the heels just give it an subtle edge. :rocker:

:wavey:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed that a majority of the men who do wear heels, really do not have much facial hair.

That's a problem with me. I have had a full beard since '81 and it's not going to change unless doctors orders. It gets trimmed back in the warmer months. You would have to ask @Thighbootguy what his thoughts are with me in heels and a full beard (and a bit of spare tire too boot)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too, full but trimmed beard and heels. I don't crossdress so I don't see mutual exclusion for my desire and wearing of heels. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Heelster said:

I have noticed that a majority of the men who do wear heels, really do not have much facial hair.

Well, that's me all over as I'm always clean shaven for my outings. But then, I spent twenty years in the military (Navy), so I'm used to not having facial hair and I like it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posts from the past. :penitent:

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Well, that's me all over as I'm always clean shaven for my outings. But then, I spent twenty years in the military (Navy), so I'm used to not having facial hair and I like it that way.

Back in August 2013 I was regrowing a beard and I posted,"Many years ago I mentioned to JeffB that his beard detracted from the image he wanted to present, and I will keep my own advice in mind, but I thought I’d have another go at it."

And you replied back in August 2013, " TBG: Yes, I did indeed remember what you told me about the odd juxtaposition of facial hair and women's clothing, and you're right, it doesn't at all look right, and ever since then, I always shave before going on a jaunt. And since I've been going out of my way of late to overtly present a feminine image in the clothing I wear on my adventures, facial hair is more of a no-no than ever. Besides, since I'm going gray, a beard makes me look older than I really am. Yes, men can be vain about their appearance too! "

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone sent me this caricature on Facebook for my birthday. I thought it was fitting, except for the unibrow and the tattoo. Funny thing is, I am pretty sure this person does not know about my unusual footwear choices. 

IMG_7105.PNG

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now