Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

Kfsteve391:-) It sounds like you had a very productive time shoe shopping at Payless. Your interaction with that lady customer proves that she was all right with a man trying on and wearing heels. And once again your wife has proven to you that she accepts the fact that she is o.k. with you wearing heels around the house. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

For the guys that are still sitting on the fence about trying on shoes in stores, I say, go for it. I have been doing it now for more than five or six years and it has been almost universally pleasant. Probably did it a hundred times or so. Never been rejected, never been laughed at by a store person. Worst is a cold reception, but even that has been very rare. Remember, most people who work in shoe stores and visit them LOVE shoes ! Many times I have engaged in very pleasant conversation with sales people and customers. Just bought two more pairs at Nine West last week.

So far i've been buying all my heels from internet stores but i know for sure that i'll be trying them on in stores soon. Last week i ALMOST got there...

I was working for a few days in Helsinki, Finland, and had a couple of hours spare time for shopping (which is quite rare for me) in the center. So i visited a few shoe stores there, wearing my mid-heeled brown lace-up oxfords --> http://www.hhplace.org/album.php?albumid=109&pictureid=1409. First, i went to Kenkä-Maerski, which is known to sell also some "alternative" styles. Told the sales lady that i'm a shoe freak and lookng for some nice styles. She was very open-minded, she told that she likes my oxfords very much and that she feels sorry that there are so few nice and special styles produced for men, unlike for women, and she suggested that i also go to the ladies department and look there, they have several racks of shoes in my size. So i went there. Just unfortunately they didn't have any styles that i considered trying on -- all were either too low heels, too feminine, or just not my style (i was mainly looking for some ankle boots with block or wedge heels).

Later i visited another store near Stockmann, just five minutes before it was being closed, and i was the only visitor there. Had another pleasant conversation with a sales lady. She also seemed to be absolutely positive to the idea of a man buying ladies shoes. She told that shoes are a wonderful hobby and she is glad to see that also some men do that. My confidence went all-time high, and we browsed carefully through the racks of ladies' shoes together with the sales lady. They had some nice styles by Vagabond, but unfortunately Vagabond doesn't do most of the heeled shoes in my size (EUR 42/US W 11). So i didn't actually try on anything there as well. :w00t2:

But next time... let's see... :chuckle:

Happy Heeling

k6ps

• 3 weeks later...

I have been shopping a couple of times over the past two weeks, and have tried on several pair of heels and boots while out. Boots with 3" heels at K-Mart, along with a pair of Mary Jane type black patent pumps. Walked around the shoe section in the boots trying to figure out if they would be comfortable enough. I was seen by a few people. Also slipped on a couple of shoes in Target. It's more difficult there as the shoes are all tied together with a damn string. How are you supposed to be able to walk around to test fit and feel with the damn things teid together. Can't step more than about a foot of so! That's aggrevating! Also tried on a pair of high heel boots at Carson's (a department store). ALl told, I can't tell you that I'm willing to sit in the middle of the store casually trying on heels, but I am at the point that I'm not buying if I don;t at least get to slip the shoes on at some point. Too many shoes that didn't fit has cured me of that malady!

My wife and I are going to the outlets this weekend and I am determined to not only wear my heels shopping but to try on anything I want in the Nine West store. Full steam ahead. I've only got one go around and I want to make the most of it!

Best way to feel comfortable about trying heels on in a store is to be wearing a pair when you walk in. It makes shopping so much easier, cause naturally the guy already wearing high heels is going to look at women's shoes. Its what works for me, and I'm still pretty hesitant about wearing my heels out and about.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out shopping for a pair of boots today, and tried the boots on, as well as a couple other pairs of heels. I would have tried more, but they had very few shoes in even a size 11 (and no 12's, which is what I really need, though some 11's do fit ok, including the boots. I have noticed that boots tend to run larger. Maybe because they expect that heavier socks will be worn rather than nylons?)

I have noticed that boots tend to run larger. Maybe because they expect that heavier socks will be worn rather than nylons?

I agree. This is also true for Aldo's boots and I am quite happy with it.

I can wear their size 11 boots with nylons and they fit perfectly :cry1:

Cannot do the same with most of their shoes which runs smaller.

Their sandals are wider and I am happy with that too !

Wife and I did a little shopping today at the goodwill stores for fun and stopped in across at pay less. I usually don't buy from pay less because a lot of there shoes are made very cheep but fun to shop anyway.I was wearing the boots in my avatar, as they are my favorite boots for winter. Wife noticed a pair of brown knee high boots right off and asked me to try them on. At first I thought she was picking them up for her self. I sat down, unzipped one boot as one of the girls walked over who worked there to see if we needed anything, and pulled on the boot that my wife handed me. The clerk just smiled and went back to her normal business. Well, it was a perfect fit! I decided not to buy them though. Needed to think about t for a while. So I put on my other boot and we went to a few other stores and as we both thought about it, we decided I didn't have any brown heel boots so we went back and got them. It was another fun day in heels. Here is a couple pic of my new brown boots.

post-3305-133522897699_thumb.jpg

post-3305-133522897702_thumb.jpg

real men wear heels

That's a great looking pair of boots, nice choice. Congrats on a fun day out with your wife. I understand your hesitation when it comes to buying shoes from Payless, sometimes the quality is just not there. It can be a good starting point for some people here if they don't want to spend a lot for a pair of boots that they might not wear out though.

Johnieheel:-) Nice find and you and your wife were lucky that they were still there when you went back to get them. Sometimes if you don't pick them up when you see them, you lose out on a great pair of boots. They look great on you. I'm sure you will enjoy putting more miles on them when you get them broken in. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Daniel, Payless carries at least up to size 12 (maybe more depending upon the store).

Thanks Bootking for the info.

From outside the store, I can see the shoe size by a large sign on top of each display and I never saw anything more than size 10 in the women's section...

Next time I pass in front of a Payless store I will have a closer look (or I will ask).

Or maybe they carry larger sizes in stock only in Payless stores located in the USA ?

Will see about that soon...

Payless sells up to size 13 (including 13W), with the folliowing caveats: - what Payless (at the corporate/website level) sells in size 13 is much less this year than it was last year. [From an informal check I did on the website, there's only about a 10% drop in availabilty from size 11 to 12; from 12 to 13; it's more like 45% less.] - without being racist, larger size availability seems to be better in more urban / african-american areas. The payless.com website is a good place to start your looking. However, if you don't see a shoe listed in extreme sizes (5 or 13) (for those looking for that size), I'm not sure there's a way to distinguish between Payless not carrying the shoe in that size, the payless.com website no longer having them available for purchase.

Thanks Bootking for the info.

From outside the store, I can see the shoe size by a large sign on top of each display and I never saw anything more than size 10 in the women's section...

Next time I pass in front of a Payless store I will have a closer look (or I will ask).

Or maybe they carry larger sizes in stock only in Payless stores located in the USA ?

Will see about that soon...

Do Canadian sizes run the same as US sizes? Are they perhaps the same as UK sizes? I know a UK 10 is a US 12 in womens shoes, so if they have a section of size 10, that may be the equivalent of US size 12.

...without being racist, larger size availability seems to be better in more urban areas...

I noticed the same here in the western part on Montreal which is more "ethnic".

Shoe stores in this area keep in stock way more shoes and boots in size 11 than other areas.

Do Canadian sizes run the same as US sizes ?

We are using the European sizes in Canada. We were using the US size before that (Maybe 20 years ago ?)

(The UK system is not used at all here)

Many stores still use the US size system in their display but the box always indicate in European.

I am still accustomed to the US sizing (many other like me) so when I

go to the store, I ask for size 11 (women size) and I get a size 41 which is the same.

Payless sells up to size 13 (including 13W), with the folliowing caveats:

- what Payless (at the corporate/website level) sells in size 13 is much less this year than it was last year. [From an informal check I did on the website, there's only about a 10% drop in availabilty from size 11 to 12; from 12 to 13; it's more like 45% less.]

- without being racist, larger size availability seems to be better in more urban / african-american areas.

The payless.com website is a good place to start your looking. However, if you don't see a shoe listed in extreme sizes (5 or 13) (for those looking for that size), I'm not sure there's a way to distinguish between Payless not carrying the shoe in that size, the payless.com website no longer having them available for purchase.

I agree with you J, regarding the reduction of Payless's selection in larger sizes. There is one store, in an area like you mentioned, that I visit at least once a week (if not more) and their larger size women's inventory has been reduced to a very limited selection. The manager used to keep back new styles, with a heel, for me but now she just apologizes. I've just about resorted to using their website, for my purchases, but I still enjoy going in to visit with the manager. She is so nice and understanding it's a shame that I can't increase "her" sales rather than the website's.

I agree with you J, regarding the reduction of Payless's selection in larger sizes. There is one store, in an area like you mentioned, that I visit at least once a week (if not more) and their larger size women's inventory has been reduced to a very limited selection. The manager used to keep back new styles, with a heel, for me but now she just apologizes. I've just about resorted to using their website, for my purchases, but I still enjoy going in to visit with the manager. She is so nice and understanding it's a shame that I can't increase "her" sales rather than the website's.

It is the same with all of the Payless stores I've been in. The selection of size 12's is way, way down. I even used to see some 13's in the store, but they're completely gone. And even the size 11 selection has dwindled to about half of the styles available in the smaller size. Very disappointing. I'm hoping the selection ramps back up when the economy improves (of course, we'll all have nothing left to spend if our fine govenment doesn't quit spending our tax dollars like there's no tomorrow!)

It is the same with all of the Payless stores I've been in. The selection of size 12's is way, way down. I even used to see some 13's in the store, but they're completely gone. And even the size 11 selection has dwindled to about half of the styles available in the smaller size. Very disappointing. I'm hoping the selection ramps back up when the economy improves (of course, we'll all have nothing left to spend if our fine govenment doesn't quit spending our tax dollars like there's no tomorrow!)

I agree RonC, it is frustrating that Payless has reduced their selection the way they have, but I'm not confident they'll ever get back to the way it was. Being a Payless "Gold" customer (self described of course) a huge part of my collection came from Payless, and from in-store purchases to boot (no pun intended). In 2008 alone I bought over a hundred pairs, most of which were on sale or via their BOGO promotion. Needless to say my 2009 purchases don't compare to one tenth of 2008. Not only from the reduction of the store's inventory but also because I find they aren't stocking stocking a variety of shoes, with a higher heel in the larger sizes, like they used to. They still have a good selection online but I'd rather see the shoe (hence going in the store) before I buy it.

It was another fun day in heels. Here is a couple pics of my new brown boots.

I will be wearing these boots all day this Sunday starting out ot church. This was one of the reasons the wife picked them out for me. She thought they would look nice and not too conspicious. I on the other hand, can't wait to show them off.lol :cry1:

real men wear heels

I used to buy my shoes online. But my self acceptance evolves. Last sunday (shops where open in some cities) i went to another city than the one i live in to shop for shoes. I've been there before and tried shoes on in the fitting room. But this time i got busted by the sales girl. First i asked her about a pair of heels, i couldn't find them in my size. I told here a story about them being for my gf but she already had doubts. She asked me "what are you planning to do with them". I ignored it and when she couldn't find them in my size i said i'll look for something else. After trying on a few other pairs i came out of the fitting room and there she was again. She asked if i succeeded in finding a pair. Busted! :wave: I said yes and went to pay for the shoes i wanted. The girl behind the cash register asked me if i had a gala party. :wave: So she knew aswell. They probably spotted me the time i was there before and talked about it. They where nice though and didn't make a fuzz of it. So it got me more confident in the end. :cry1: All and all it was quite a pleasant experience.

I agree RonC, it is frustrating that Payless has reduced their selection the way they have, but I'm not confident they'll ever get back to the way it was. Being a Payless "Gold" customer (self described of course) a huge part of my collection came from Payless, and from in-store purchases to boot (no pun intended). In 2008 alone I bought over a hundred pairs, most of which were on sale or via their BOGO promotion. Needless to say my 2009 purchases don't compare to one tenth of 2008. Not only from the reduction of the store's inventory but also because I find they aren't stocking stocking a variety of shoes, with a higher heel in the larger sizes, like they used to. They still have a good selection online but I'd rather see the shoe (hence going in the store) before I buy it.

I agree HHRick, I much prefer to at least see the shoes in person. Many times the shoes from Payless can be rather, oh, I'm not sure of the word I'm looking for here...maybe bulky? I guess if one would look at the cut of shoes of maybe a NineWest, Steve Madden, etc., and then comapre them to a Payless shoe in a similar style, the Payless shoe is most often cut somewhat different...higher on the vamp, higher sides...it's just hard to explain, but they often lack the elegance (re: femininity) to my eye that many other shoes possess. So I like to be able to actually at least see them in person before I buy, and trying on is preferred.

...Next time I pass in front of a Payless store I will have a closer look...Will see about that soon...

I finally stopped at the Payless store in my area and they do carry women's shoes in sizes 11.

Choice is limited compared to smaller sizes. (Maybe 8 different styles) Mostly low heels.

Except one pair of very nice black stiletto with 4" heels.