Shopping for heels: try them on?

tiffany

Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?  

813 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try shoes at the store before buying them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

• 3 weeks later...

There's a shop in Vancouver BC called Model Express that carries many high heeled shoes as well as lingerie, etc. They have a small number of large size high heeled shoes and boots in stock (obviously they have other male customers). Lee, the proprietress, is a very friendly lady, and is very helpful when I want to try on various heels. A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of Pleaser Seduce 2000 boots (black knee highs with 5" stilleto heels) from her. I don't go there very often, but a week later I happened to be in the area again and decided to stop by the shop. I walked in the door, and Lee, glancing down at my feet, said, "You're not wearing your new boots!". In fact I was wearing some ankle boots with a chunky heel nearly 4" high, but I was quite surprised that she expected me to be wearing the Pleasers. I'm a bit hesistant about wearing the Pleasers out on the street in that area because the shop is located on East Hastings Street, in a notoriously bad part of town, but who knows, maybe next time I'll try it!

Greetings Himark :-)

I agree with you about the fact chunky 4" heels are easier to wear on

the street compared to your Seduce boots with a much thinner heels.

Why are we more at ease wearing chunky heels ? They are both high heels !

Only difference is that one is thinner than the other.

Everything is in our head isnt-it ?

Himark:-) The lady knows that neighborhood well if she runs a shop in that vicinity. She surely wouldn't make the comment that you should have worn your new boots into the shop on the seond time around if there was any danger lurking in the neighborhood in your doing so. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 4 weeks later...

Himark-- Been to Vancouver several times, a very dear friend of mine who is an independent lesbian musician lives there and the city is very laid back and awesomely beautiful. DawnHH is right about the store owner expecting you to be wearing heels into the store since she knows her clientele and her environs. Besides, I'd take the worst neighbourhood in Canada any day over some of our bullet-riddled places here. Try doing what you did in parts of Chicago, DC, Baltimore, or Detroit?? AS the saying goes 'you can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word". There are so many places in Vancouver where one could wear whatever shoe you wanted, male or female, that place just soaks it all up. HappyinHeels

I just had a wonderful experience shopping for heels at what has been for me the unlikeliest of places - Macy's. Recently, I bought a royal blue miniskirt. I wanted a pair of shoes, preferably sandals, with a lower heel to wear with it. The heel I am looking for is less than three inches, but a I really didn't want a flat. Almost all of my lower heeled shoes are either brown or black, and since it is a GREAT color I wanted some shoes that were an equally great color. I found a great pair of yellow Bandolino peep-toe pumps on the clearance rack that were a must have. Of course I tried it on at the self-serve rack and they fit great. But I wanted to explore my possibilities. I went to the counter to ask for the mate and described what I was looking for to the clerk, an older woman who was also helping a couple of other customers. She looked up some shoes on her little hand held computer thingy and brought me out about six pair to try. While I was browsing, she set them next to a chair, pulled out all of the paper and packaging for the right shoes and pointed me in the direction. As I tried she came back and checked on me, even making positive comments, etc. Though I didn't buy any of the suggestions, she made my experience truly outstanding. Of course, I went on the Macy's Web site and gave her glowing feedback. I regularly try on shoes at Nine West, Aldo, Baker's, Bandolino etc. but this was by far the best experience I ever had at Macy's. Its very nice when you can still be surprised.

Style is built from the ground up!

My latest purchase. A reward to myself for completing a 12 week very strenous excersize program I designed for myself. Took off almost 20 lbs and gaind about 4 lbs of muscle. All natural. I think I deserved a new pair of shoes or 2.

post-3305-133522915767_thumb.jpg

post-3305-13352291577_thumb.jpg

post-3305-133522915772_thumb.jpg

post-3305-133522915775_thumb.jpg

real men wear heels

My latest purchase. A reward to myself for completing a 12 week very strenous excersize program I designed for myself. Took off almost 20 lbs and gaind about 4 lbs of muscle. All natural.

I think I deserved a new pair of shoes or 2.

Congratulations on the result of your workout program. And also congratulations on those great looking pairs of high heels. Have fun wearing them.

I regularly try on shoes at Nine West, Aldo, Baker's, Bandolino etc. but this was by far the best experience I ever had at Macy's. Its very nice when you can still be surprised.

My, my! What a great time you had! I must admit to being extremely envious since no mainstream stores go up to 13, so I'll never be able to enjoy the sort of delightful experience you did. In any event, bravo!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

My latest purchase. A reward to myself for completing a 12 week very strenous excersize program I designed for myself. Took off almost 20 lbs and gaind about 4 lbs of muscle. All natural.

I think I deserved a new pair of shoes or 2.

What a great reward for great results. Congratulations on your weight loss and new muscle mass. That is no small undertaking and I know you take weight training quite seriously. The shoes are fantastic, and I love the zipper back. They look like Aldo to me, but where did you find those babys?

Style is built from the ground up!

...The shoes are fantastic, and I love the zipper back. They look like Aldo to me, but where did you find those babys?

Greetings HF :-)

I agree. They do look like Aldo with the zipper back.

They also may be from Aldo's sister company: Spring Shoes.

Can't wait to see johnieheel's reply on this ...

What a great reward for great results. Congratulations on your weight loss and new muscle mass. That is no small undertaking and I know you take weight training quite seriously. The shoes are fantastic, and I love the zipper back. They look like Aldo to me, but where did you find those babys?

Thanks HH for the complement. Just had to tell somebody and I feel most of my family is all right here.

Got those Steve Madden 4 strap zip on ebay. Got lucky! Been eyeballing that paticular style from stsev madden for some time now. Only paid 29.00 and they are like new and a perfect fit!:)

No wander I couldn't find this post. Was meant to be in "who has bought some new shoes" thread.

real men wear heels

Greetings HF :-)

I agree. They do look like Aldo with the zipper back.

They also may be from Aldo's sister company: Spring Shoes.

Can't wait to see johnieheel's reply on this ...

Nope, Steve Madden.

real men wear heels

I tried on and bought some heels today VERY blatently, with the young sales lady's help. The last time i tried heels on in a store i kind of hid away out of sight down an isle, quickly put one on, looked at them in the mirror, and rushed them back in the box and straight upto the counter without much fuss at all. This time, I took the shoe (as there was only 1 of the pair on the shelf) upto the young woman and said "Hi :) do you mind if i try these on?" She said "sure! no worries! i'll just find you the other shoe to try too!". I couldn't believe how good she was with me, i was talking to her about sizing as i stood there infront of the mirror quite openly with other people in the store and the sales lady standing right next to me helping, she did stumble her words when she first saw me wearing them, but composed herself and was exceptionally helpful. They were on the shelf for $59.95, so as i approached the counter that's what i expected to pay, and then she informed me all shoes are 30% off and i got them for $41! BARGAIN! i left the store feeling ontop of the world :P

I don't think the world's stopped turning and the birds are still flying... it wasn't such a big deal, right?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I was out yesterday with time to shop. I tried on heels at Target, DSW, Payless, Famous Footwear, Sears and JC Penney. Now mind you, I was not in the middle of a crowd, but there were people in the stores for sure. I did take a pass at Macy's and Carson Piere Scott, as they were a bit too crowded, with too many mom and kid combos that I just don't feel comfortable around. I also found a few paris that I wanted to try at Nordstrom, but the same crowd problems. I've heard that Nordstrom will allow you to use a back room. Has anyone tried that? On a down note, I found far fewer large sizes at Payless, and the Bandolino shop in the local mall has closed down. That bummed me out!

• 2 weeks later...
Last week at two different Burlington Coat Factories, I bought and tried on a pair of high heels at each store. All of the sales personnel and customers, men and women, saw me try them on and walk around in them. No one paid too much attention to me.

Most of my shopping for heels has been online. I have found that is a cheaper way to go, and the fact that I am buying them for my wife. At home I have tried on her heels for fun a couple of times, and a few times she wanted me to stretch out a new pair before she wore them out. So, would I try on a pair in a store? If I was with my wife and she asked me to I would, but not if I was by myself. People are more open minded these days, but not that open minded.

Most of my shopping for heels has been online. I have found that is a cheaper way to go, and the fact that I am buying them for my wife. At home I have tried on her heels for fun a couple of times, and a few times she wanted me to stretch out a new pair before she wore them out. So, would I try on a pair in a store? If I was with my wife and she asked me to I would, but not if I was by myself. People are more open minded these days, but not that open minded.

If people saw you trying on high heels with your wife in a store, I'll bet a lot of guys would actually be jealous of you whether they wanted to admit it or not.

I get all my heals in stores and have never bought a pair without trying them on first. Take advantage of the sales people's knowledge and experience. Half the fun is walking around a shoe store in heels. Most people do not pay any attention. The people working in the store want to make a sale. You can also check for a good fit and see how they look before you buy them.