Heels in future in

killer heels

On 10/21/2023 at 3:24 PM, 5150PLB1 said:

I think the communion girl's shoes are more suitable for the beach, not at a church.

I don't know that I'd want to wear those on a beach, for several reasons, but I get it. And that's kind of what barely passes for dressy sandals these days. She could have gone up a step or down a step with it--either moved up to really cute non-platform sandals or gone with Birkenstocks. I've seen both done by people of that age group, and usually the latter. I don't think anybody cares. There are like half a dozen people who actually still dress up for church anyway.

There was a glorious time when we Americans actually made fun of Birkenstocks, and now 35 years later, they have come to be one of the less objectionable exponents out there.

I spent a day in London earlier this week, walking quite a bit in the heart of the West End, Covent Garden, the Strand, Seven Dials and with this thread in mind had a look at the footwear in display. I didn’t see any stilettos, but quite a few chunky heels in the 3” range - mostly boots. They were not as common as trainers (sneakers to Americans) but 3” heels were by no means uncommon.

Had I been a bit further east - nearer St Paul’s, where the banks, brokers and law firms tend to be, I’m sure I would have seen more and higher heels, but given the precincts where I was, there was certainly no shortage of heels.

When I went to my employer's shop to do some paperwork, I saw a late 30s/early 40s office worker in actual high heels! I thought to myself "No way!" I have been with this employer for over 5 years, and in that time, I have never witnessed this sight. Not that I spend very much time at the shop, but still.

I was at my bank yesterday, when I observed a woman maybe late 30's in a pair of green patent stilettos with at least 5" heels, She looked great, also was wearing a black and green pair of leggings. Made a comment to her on my way out that she looked great. Unfortunately I was in my work clothes and not wearing heels When you're out and about you never know when you will run into someone wearing a great pair of heels!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Back in the mid 90s, there was a certain style of cowboy boot that had a pretty substantial heel on it, bordering on "not low," always in conjunction with a kiltie. You would see them around places where there was line dancing, mostly country bars, in other words. After a certain film released in 2005 decimated cowboy boot sales, that style of heel has not reappeared, even though the market has rebounded somewhat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Back in the mid 90s, there was a certain style of cowboy boot that had a pretty substantial heel on it, bordering on "not low," always in conjunction with a kiltie. You would see them around places where there was line dancing, mostly country bars, in other words. After a certain film released in 2005 decimated cowboy boot sales, that style of heel has not reappeared, even though the market has rebounded somewhat.

Trying to guess what movie you are referring to....  BBM?

2 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Trying to guess what movie you are referring to....  BBM?

Maybe one of the most over the top sappiest movies I've ever seen. Even the Hallmark channel wouldn't make that.

In your face, forced to swallow shite 

I didn't mind the movie. I saw it when it came out and thought it was well done. As far being sappy, I can think of endless numbers of sappier movies than that. It did kill the cowboy boot market, that's for sure - just like the "Vivian Effect" ruined the market for OTK and thighboots for many years. OTK boots have come back but thighboots seem to have tajken a lethal hit.

• Like 1

Since this site seems to be hanging by two threads, I'll try to do my part to keep it going. So, as the several replies above show, it is a fact that pop culture can and does affect fashion, including footwear. Two negative examples are given above, but a positive example must certainly be the TV series "Sex and the City," which helped bring us out of a dark decade filled with Grunge bands, Spice Girls and Bratz. I do not see why some combination of circumstances could not allow it to happen again. Despite what some may say, there are definitely still girly-girl things happening out in the Real World, just not stiletto heels so much.

• Like 1

I was in central London one afternoon last week. There were quite a lot of women wearing heels. Including one with knee high stiletto boots (about 4" heel) over leather trousers. Boots and trousers were the same shade of oatmeal and fitted so well that it was difficult to discern that the boots and trousers were actually separate items. That was in Piccadilly, opposite the Ritz, so I guess they had cost lots of £££££ and were possibly made to measure.

On 10/30/2023 at 5:33 AM, mlroseplant said:

Things come and go.  There are now entire businesses riding the Yellowstone wave:

Americans go ‘westerncore’ as Yellowstone fans adopt cowboy look | US television | The Guardian

'Yellowstone' inspires Western fashion trend among fans embracing 'cowboy couture' | Fox Business

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

That's nice to hear - even if I'm not particularly a fan of cowboy boots. 

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Since this site seems to be hanging by two threads, I'll try to do my part to keep it going. So, as the several replies above show, it is a fact that pop culture can and does affect fashion, including footwear. Two negative examples are given above, but a positive example must certainly be the TV series "Sex and the City," which helped bring us out of a dark decade filled with Grunge bands, Spice Girls and Bratz. I do not see why some combination of circumstances could not allow it to happen again. Despite what some may say, there are definitely still girly-girl things happening out in the Real World, just not stiletto heels so much.

So true. Fashion is fickle. Something can come out of nowhere and change the landscape - stilettos in the Fifties and go-go boots in the Sixties are examples. Obviously it can go the other way too, as it has done in recent years, but influencers and designers make their fortunes by challenging  the status quo - even if it is one they instigated - and being the next big thing. It’s only a matter of time until somebody “remembers “ heels and then a new wave will start.

As a latecomer to this thread, I have read the varied comments with interest.   Obviously, there are differences of opinion, clearly influenced by personal experience, age and background.   I can't add a great deal to the debate but I do suggest that the two most prominent watershed markers in 'high heel history' are (i) the popularity of the (high) stiletto heel c1960; (ii) the preference for comfort and female independence/identity in recent years - say from c2015.

As I well recall from its halcyon years, the stiletto heel was very widely recognised as new, sexy, elegant, daring and (above all) 'feminine', in an era when women were still expected to conform and look the part.   They soon realised that stiletto heels, in particular, allowed them to adopt a look which was not only conforming (in that they became part of a common 'uniform', along with stockings, pencil skirts etc) but also thoroughly smart and feminine.   In other words, their look was not only to their liking but also appealing to most men.   Comfort and practicality were seen as secondary considerations and stiletto heels were often worn for unsuitable activity during work or leisure, because the prevailing fashion was paramount.  

In recent years, the growing recognition, by women in particular, that they do not need to conform - especially to men's expectations and desires - has understandably led them to question their fashion choices, with 'difficult' footwear often eschewed completely.   They no longer need to wear a uniform in most situations, and certainly not one that is primarily dictated by male desire or conventional societal expectation, especially if it hampers their freedom and comfort.    Alas, the movement has (along with so much else that is classed as unacceptable for one reason or another) come under the scrutiny of the 'woke police', to the extent that it is often viewed as totally unacceptable rather than merely a matter for personal choice.

I have little doubt that, as with most trends and fashions, high heels will never totally disappear and will indeed come back into vogue for a lasting period, before again melting away for a spell.   Perversely, the blurring of male/female fashion boundaries, and the growing acceptablity of 'men in heels', will do heel-admirers few favours, as women will no longer have the edge when it comes to being different, if not unique.   Unless of course women will seek to compete with men and wear higher heels etc than men do!   We can but hope.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Heelsfor30 said:

I really want to keep this thread going because I’d like to hear from others as well. Like I said I hope I’m wrong but heels appear to be dead and the frumpy look has taken over. 

But, here on UK TV, it seems to be the rule (unwritten or otherwise) for the great majority of female presenters - including those delivering the news, weather etc - to wear heels.   Their typical footwear would be a 4" stiletto court (pump), but equivalent sandals and boots are often seen too.   I realise that such occupations are not wholly representative of the entire population, although by no means all of them are doing the 'glamour' jobs on TV either.    What is equally (and depressingly) apparent is that 'ordinary' women appearing on TV (e.g. being interviewed in the studio or as contestants in a quiz show) seem rarely to wear heels of any significance, and are as likely to be in trousers as in a skirt or dress.   Few make any obvious effort to 'dress up' for what is generally a special and very public occasion.

Yes, female presenters on TV here in Britain are very often in high heels. Whether they actually wear them, as in leave the house in them and come home at night still in heels, is something else again. Who knows? It may be that they wear trainers most of the time and view heels as simply part of their expected on-air persona.

Female guests on these shows may or may not wear heels, depending on their expected level of glamour. A feminist author being interviewed is very unlikely to be wearing heels, but one if the C-list celebrities doing Strictly Come Dancing wouldn’t be in anything else - usually in the 4-5 inch range. Since they are seated on the set, or maybe walk half a dozen passes when they’re being introduced, it’s hard to tell whether they can actually walk in them.

Occasionally there are celebrities, such as JK Rowling who genuinely live in heels.

trousers are perfectly conducive to wearing heels - either skinny, straight or bootcut depending on the look being sought or the type of heel being worn. 

• Like 1

I remember a popular radio and Television talk showhost explaining Fox Cable News Network’s on camera dress code for men presenters.  He said that he wore casual clothes when he his radio show early in afternoon and changed to a suit coat and tie for his evening show television show because it was Fox’s policy that men commentators would dress more formally when on the air.  He did say, howeve, that since he appeared on TV sitting behind a desk, viewers only viewed him from the waste up.  If he stood up and walked in front of the desk they would see that he was wearing sweatpants and sneakers.  

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Shyheels is right to question whether the 'regularly on TV' heel-wearers would keep them on when not on camera, but that is a separate issue and ripe for debate if not research, ideally supported by observation.   

The question posed by Heelsfor30 was whether 'heels appear to be dead and the frumpy look has taken over'.   The image that TV presenters (or their producers) wish to project seems clearly to be that heels are not dead, and I doubt that the heels are being worn to demonstrate an intentionally different or eccentric lifestyle.

I did not suggest or mean to imply that trousers are incompatible with heels, which is clearly not the case.   I was merely observing that, even in formal or semi-formal situations (such as a TV appearance by invitation), women seem to be in trousers more often than in dresses or skirts, regardless of footwear.   Whether for fashion, comfort or simply personal choice is open to question but the trouser preference does dilute yet another traditional, accepted and arguably attractive characteristic of the female of the species - and is sometimes bordering on the frumpy.    

It all depends on where you are, location or event.  I saw so many women in high heels this week.  How many took them off when they got back to the car, I don't know, but with knee high stiletos, I don't think they would rermove them when they got to their car..