The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

21 hours ago, bluejay said:

Mirose,

When I wear my yellow slides , yellow heels or flats, I pair them up with black shorts, capris or caprl  leggings always in black. Then I ad a yellow polo to compliment the ensemble. You can't go wrong with a yellow and black combo.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

My thoughts were the same, but I own only one yellow shirt, and when I pulled it out of the dresser drawer, somehow or other it was badly stained. I have no idea what happened, but it is destined to be a shop rag now. I suppose I could have worn my high-viz yellow polo, but it has my company name on it, and I didn't really want to do that. So I opted for the white shirt with subtle peach stripes instead. It goes so well with my orange work gloves! That's a joke. What is not a joke is that neither my wife nor my kid listens to me when it comes to wearing gloves. My wife pinched her finger badly setting up the tent the other evening. There is simply no need for that. We have approximately 5,000 pairs of dexterity work gloves in this house. You can grab a quarter out of your pocket while wearing them. PPE, people, PPE! My 12 year old does wear safety glasses religiously when the situation requires it, he just won't wear gloves.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:32 PM, Jkrenzer said:

It's lonely but not unexpected. SF, don't take it wrong way, but you wear heels, not high heels.

"Heel height is all 'relative.'"  Albert Einstein... 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Albert Einstein, my Relativity hero.  There are a few pics of him wearing what appear to be gals shoes and sandals, "lightyears"  ahead of his time, even back in 1939.  Smile...

787414834_ScreenShot2021-07-10at8_37_09AM.thumb.png.ca5fb5f4c3bd37a2479d5102aa9ec509.png

• Like 5

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

21 hours ago, SF said:

"Heel height is all 'relative.'"  Albert Einstein... 

To be fair, I have been enjoying my lower height heels this summer, chronicled somewhere up there in the feed. I have discovered that I get a different thrill from wearing my lower heeled sandals, and I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. It is certainly a different feeling from that of simple elevation of the heel.

In other news, our family actually went out to a restaurant for the first time since early 2020. What to wear, what to wear? None of what took place is noteworthy, but I did remember to snap a picture of what I did wear. Ann Taylor shorts in pink, obviously not too short and not too tight. I evidently went on a shorts buying rampage pre-pandemic, then promptly put most of them in a drawer and forgot about them. I'm trying to break them back out as circumstances allow.

I paired the shorts with Nine West "Dancecard" sandals in a sort of dusty rose color, which I thought went pretty well with the shorts. Stats on the sandals are 5 1/4" heel with 1" platform. I seem to have an awful lot of shoes that follow that formula within 1/4". Apparently I must like it. Oh, and that works out to just about 40º steepness, though I might have to recheck my measurements upon which I'm basing that calculation, because it sure does appear to be quite a bit more than 40º in the accompanying photo.

As usual, I tend to worry about what I'm wearing from the waist down more than the waist up, and yesterday was no exception. I've got on a t-shirt from Walmart, nothing fancy, and just a regular old black belt. Absolutely zero comments from the crowd at the restaurant, and while I'm sure there were some stares, I did not detect them, or possibly I just didn't care. Our waitress was cute, friendly, and efficient. We gave her a big tip. I should say my wife gave her a big tip. In a Vietnamese family, the man is never supposed to pay, that would be in bad taste. Don't ask me why, I only know that it is so.

PinkShortsDancecard.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

To be fair, I have been enjoying my lower height heels this summer, chronicled somewhere up there in the feed. I have discovered that I get a different thrill from wearing my lower heeled sandals, and I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. It is certainly a different feeling from that of simple elevation of the heel.

In other news, our family actually went out to a restaurant for the first time since early 2020. What to wear, what to wear? None of what took place is noteworthy, but I did remember to snap a picture of what I did wear. Ann Taylor shorts in pink, obviously not too short and not too tight. I evidently went on a shorts buying rampage pre-pandemic, then promptly put most of them in a drawer and forgot about them. I'm trying to break them back out as circumstances allow.

I paired the shorts with Nine West "Dancecard" sandals in a sort of dusty rose color, which I thought went pretty well with the shorts. Stats on the sandals are 5 1/4" heel with 1" platform. I seem to have an awful lot of shoes that follow that formula within 1/4". Apparently I must like it. Oh, and that works out to just about 40º steepness, though I might have to recheck my measurements upon which I'm basing that calculation, because it sure does appear to be quite a bit more than 40º in the accompanying photo.

Very nice my friend. Put the protractor at the back of the ball of your foot and line up the center of where your heel rests on the shoe. I think these cold be easily 45 deg. High heels all the way. These are excellent strappy mules.

Sorry to be overly repetitive, but here are some more farmer's market pictures from yesterday. It was supposed to rain all day, but it didn't, instead. Turnout was impressive, my wife was going 100 miles an hour for the entire four hours. That pleases her, but at the same time exhausts her.

No mention was made of my shoes by anyone. I'm sure, as always, that people noticed, but to be quite honest, this is a big enough gathering that there are always several people who are dressed far more outlandishly than me. I did see quite a few heels this time. By quite a few, I mean probably half a dozen, including one woman wearing shorts with her 3 inch block heeled sandals.

My boring outfit: Sandals are Söfft Calvados, shorts are l.e.i., shirt is just a t-shirt, as always. Sunglasses are from Costco, and are equipped with trifocals. That is not a joke.

FarmersMarketVJ1.jpg

FarmersMarketVJ2.jpg

SöfftCalvadosBlack.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 3:08 PM, Puffer said:

Somehow, the sandals seem to blend nicely with the background pipework.   I like the graceful curves on both!

Somehow, the wood chips that fell down on that pipe 13 years ago when they bored a hole in the side of my house to install air conditioning are still there, included for free in every photo! If I were to clean up said wood chips, and maybe the cobwebs, you'd feel cheated, wouldn't you?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted. I've been out of town visiting family. Also, I've really got nothing to say. Therefore, I will now say more of basically nothing. While I was visiting family, it just so happened that pictures were posted on social media. It's not the first time my heels have made it on to social media, but it is the first time that a picture of me in heels wouldn't have been buried in somebody's album of 43 photos, so it was pretty much front and center of somebody's news feed for a few days.

Also, these heels are very tame at 2 1/2 inches, and you can't really see what they are in the photos, except that they do look rather unusual for a man to be wearing. All I can say is that they are too saxy!

SöfftSax.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another week of farmer's markets. Last night was different, however, because I actually helped run the stand. I had offered to help before, but my wife seemed reluctant, at one time sort of shooing me away and telling me to wait elsewhere. My son has intimated in the past that she thinks I will scare off customers.

Last night, I just butted in and started taking money and prepping condiments. Soon, my son joined in and started taking orders. Evidently, I did not scare anybody off, because it was a record night for revenue, beating the old record by 14%. To be sure, I was dressed conservatively compared to many times, but my shorts were still too short* and my heels, while only 2" wedges, were obviously a little "off" as well. Still, as they say, "money talks." Hopefully this will bring us closer together as a family. It sure hasn't been that way lately until about 12 hours ago.

*It is true that I have seen more and more shorter shorts on men lately, but they seem to be athletic type shorts and not dressier shorts or denim cutoffs as I wear.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I must have been feeling brave last week. Brave and thin. Somehow or other, five years after I bought them, I am finally able to fit into these little black shorts that have been sitting in my dresser drawer for all that time. At any rate, I wore this outfit to the Big Farmer's Market last week, which did not seem to be a big deal at the time, but in the harsh light of Sunday morning, with the bright sky messing up the exposure of my photograph, I suddenly felt kind of radical. This is what you get when you read too many fashion articles that tell you that your fashion choices are basically trashy looking.

I will say this, however. On that particular evening, I got not one, not two, but THREE compliments on my shoes. All in one night. One of the compliments was a flyby, but two of them were a stop-and-talk-about-it type affair. In one case, I wound up giving a brand and model name, and recommendations on how to go about finding these things, which I am sure are not made anymore. So I guess I must have done SOMETHING right. I will note that all of the compliments were about my shoes, and not about the rest of my outfit. This may mean something, or it may not.

Particulars about the shoes are: Söfft Calvados, they are sort of a pewter color, I guess, if it's not obvious from the pictures, and this is my third pair of this particular model. I have these in black and nude/beige. 3 5/8" heel, 5/8" platform. I can get away with wearing these at the "big" farmer's market, because it's on a city street. I would not attempt these at the other farmer's market we go to, which is on grass. I have my other specialized shoes for that, featured elsewhere. Shorts and t-shirt are from Walmart, nothing special. In case anybody is interested. I am also really bad at posing for pictures.

ShortsandSilver.jpg

PewterCalvados.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, it's been a rough couple of weeks. I have developed a condition called, quite descriptively, "drop foot." I have lost some control over my right foot, and am unable to walk normally. This happened suddenly. I woke up one morning, and was like that. The doctor seems to think it's got something to do with a pinched nerve in my lower back, so I'm supposed to get an MRI tomorrow morning. The condition has gotten incrementally better over the past couple of weeks, but still persists. With my luck, I'll come out of it completely by tomorrow morning, and the MRI won't show a thing wrong with me.

Of specific interest to this group is that wearing heels allows me to walk completely normally, at least from my perspective. I suppose it make total logical sense from a physics perspective. Assuming a level floor is 0º, I am unable to lift my right foot off the floor much more than a couple of degrees, with the heel still touching. I am able to push down normally, and can return my foot to 0º pretty easily. Preload the angle of my foot by -25 or -30º, and voilà, I can walk just fine! I was unable to convince the doctor that this was a good solution to the problem. As of this date, I can go as low as a 2" heel to correct the problem. Last week, I needed more like 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" before I could walk completely normally. It IS getting better, but very slowly.

• Sad 1

When I was 14 the doctor said” stop riding immediately,if not you will be in a wheelchair at 25.I didn’t listen to him and told my dad my back was perfect. Then during nearly 45 years I used to ride up to 4/6 ( even 10 on some days) horses daily until I stopped because bored 4 years ago. 
So sure I won’t never tell my doctor I am wearing heels as soon as I leave his place. 

Sorry. About myself again. But just for help. 
Have you contacted a chiropractor or equivalent? Most are shit. Some can do miracles 

Looking at the XRay and RMI of my back I should be operated in an emergency!

A nice Osteo who is also a real doctor saved my life. 

I wish you to find the equivalent 

Pierre

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

When I was 14 the doctor said” stop riding immediately,if not you will be in a wheelchair at 25.

If I may ask, what happened that led to that diagnosis?   Was it an existing medical (skeletal?) condition or did you have an accident?   Fortunately for high-heel manufacturers, you survived and they prospered!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Fortunately for high-heel manufacturers, you survived and they prospered!

I really doubt that the high-heel manufacturers prospered, too many once famous brands have disappeared in the course of time. 😪

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

I shredded my peroneal tendon (while walking in flat shoes). This condition can cause "drop foot."  I used KT tape to help with the pain then Epsom Salt reduced the swelling in the tendon.  My podiatrist wants me in at least 2.5 inch heels but would prefer not 4+ inch nor stilettoes. And she is always eager to see what color my nails are.

Edited by Cali

11 hours ago, Isolathor said:

I really doubt that the high-heel manufacturers prospered, too many once famous brands have disappeared in the course of time. 😪

I think you misunderstood my point.   Pierre's regular purchases of heels have given the manufacturers some potentially profitable business, but I agree that many of the good brands have gone forever.   High-heeled does not necessarily mean high-yield!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Puffer said:

I think you misunderstood my point.

I am sorry there was a misunderstanding. It was not meant to criticise You, but to express my sadness about the demise of these labels. 😪

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

3 hours ago, Isolathor said:

I am sorry there was a misunderstanding. It was not meant to criticise You, but to express my sadness about the demise of these labels. 😪

I didn't take your comment as being criticism and share your sadness.  ☺️ 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to Squirrel's thread, where the topic can go all wonky, and nobody cares. I say Squirrel's thread because I just realized that no-one has called me "Melrose" in at least 15 years, yet the name persists on the internet. However, the name "Squirrel" is quite alive and well, and I seem to be unable to escape it. I even went to an entirely different job with an entirely different company, and I still didn't escape it. Oh well, it's not a horrible nickname, and it is perhaps somewhat descriptive.

At any rate, I got a couple of things. Number One, I had my MRI on Friday. I don't know anything yet, of course, so I'm not totally sure why I'm bothering to tell. I still can't move my foot correctly, but perhaps it's a little better than a few days ago. It's hard to say. Number Two, I wore some actual high heels for the first time in a while. By actual high heels, I mean those with more than a 4 inch difference between heel and toe. Man, am I out of practice with those things. I have really let myself go. Hopefully, I did not look like too much of an idiot walking in them. It's not so much the first 50 steps that are hard, it's the last 50. At this rate, I'm never going to be able to make that high heel walking video I had planned, because I will be unable to actually do what I'm telling people to do. Don't let this happen to you! Like the liquor ad says, just keep on walkin'.

• Like 2