The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

I did something last weekend that I haven't done in over a year. I attended a backyard barbecue. Well, we're all vaccinated now, so what the hell, why not? Other than breaking my phone while playing frisbee with the kids, a good time was had by all. The host of this event is a relatively new homeowner, and although I helped him move out of his apartment and into this house about a year ago, we'd never really had an "event" there until now.

As it turns out, this fellow's sister was there as well (just for context, we're all somewhere around 50 years old, more or less), and the subject came up, "How many shoes do you own?" I was put to shame because this gal claimed 150. To be fair, it sounds like few, or perhaps none of them are heels, but it did give me the opportunity to demonstrate, right there in front of God and everybody, how to walk in high heels, and how NOT to. And then I got the, "Oh, I wish I could still wear heels" line. I am convinced that most women in this country have either had foot surgery or had some kind of accident, because I've heard that line so often now that maybe I don't much believe it anymore. But perhaps that is another subject for another time.

SöfftWedgesShorts.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are beginning in-person church services again for the first time in what seems like forever. I was debating whether to go to Palm Sunday services yesterday, but I'm glad I did, as my pre-recorded v

It has been mentioned several times that I do not provide enough photographic evidence of my fashion sensibilities, and I suppose there's a reason for that. I just don't feel it's very interesting. I

For those of you who complain that I never wear boots, here you go. It didn't kill me after all, though I didn't realize how scrunched up my jeans had gotten from getting in and out of the car several

Posted Images

On 5/3/2021 at 5:31 AM, mlroseplant said:

And then I got the, "Oh, I wish I could still wear heels" line. I am convinced that most women in this country have either had foot surgery or had some kind of accident, because I've heard that line so often now that maybe I don't much believe it anymore.

I agree with you on that one.  Big difference between "could still" and just don't bother.  

I was on vacation last week and stopped in the town where Western Kentucky University is located.  We went out for dinner Sunday evening and when we came out, there was a group of 20 or so young ladies waiting to get in to the restaurant.  I guessed that it was some kind of sorority get together as it was graduation weekend in town.  All of the girls were nicely dressed, mostly in dresses.  But of course what I noticed was their footwear.  I would say maybe a third of them were wearing flip flops or perhaps a low wedge sandal, with the rest wearing the exact same shoe style, almost like it was a uniform.  Block heel on all, no thin heels at all, with 90% being in the 2-2.5 inch range, with a couple of maybe 3-3.5 inches.  This is the style, though I'd guess that most were actually a bit lower and blockier in the heel::

Jody Sandal

Personally, I've never found this style to be particularly attractive to begin with.  But there are many available with a stiletto heel that can look decent.  But not one of them had a thin heel, and I just couldn't believe that they all had the same style.  Doesn't give me a lot of hope for heels for the young ladies.  The other thing I noticed (my wife was having a smoke before she got in the car so I had some time to sit and observe) was the length of their dresses.  I have to say there were a few that I would consider ridiculously short.  If they would have bent over in any way their undies would have been showing,  I enjoy the feminine leg probably a good deal more than the average guy, but a few were what to me was a bit too short.  Yeah, yeah, I know I'm old...lol.  

Heard mentality!  The age of individuality is over.  Blessed be those that follow the crowd for they will inherit the heard’s shallowness!

Edited by Bubba136

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

14 hours ago, RonC said:

I agree with you on that one.  Big difference between "could still" and just don't bother.  

I was on vacation last week and stopped in the town where Western Kentucky University is located.  We went out for dinner Sunday evening and when we came out, there was a group of 20 or so young ladies waiting to get in to the restaurant.  I guessed that it was some kind of sorority get together as it was graduation weekend in town.  All of the girls were nicely dressed, mostly in dresses.  But of course what I noticed was their footwear.  I would say maybe a third of them were wearing flip flops or perhaps a low wedge sandal, with the rest wearing the exact same shoe style, almost like it was a uniform.  Block heel on all, no thin heels at all, with 90% being in the 2-2.5 inch range, with a couple of maybe 3-3.5 inches.  This is the style, though I'd guess that most were actually a bit lower and blockier in the heel::

Jody Sandal

Personally, I've never found this style to be particularly attractive to begin with.  But there are many available with a stiletto heel that can look decent.  But not one of them had a thin heel, and I just couldn't believe that they all had the same style.  Doesn't give me a lot of hope for heels for the young ladies.  The other thing I noticed (my wife was having a smoke before she got in the car so I had some time to sit and observe) was the length of their dresses.  I have to say there were a few that I would consider ridiculously short.  If they would have bent over in any way their undies would have been showing,  I enjoy the feminine leg probably a good deal more than the average guy, but a few were what to me was a bit too short.  Yeah, yeah, I know I'm old...lol.  

This one's been around a while, in different iterations. I don't like it because it covers up the back of the foot, and why would you ever want to do that? Haha. Do you like THIS version of those heels rather better? Why? Compare and contrast. This is my niece, by the way, from several years ago. Feel free to criticize her as you see fit. I know I do!

Squirrelwalk.thumb.PNG.bdbe4b6a42f33114cf2be273fbf12b24.PNG

13 hours ago, Bubba136 said:

Herd mentality!  The age of individuality is over.  Blessed be those that follow the crowd for they will inherit the herd’s shallowness!

To continue in that theme, there is nothing new under the sun. The age of individuality never existed. Those who are innovators are generally lonesome. You oughta know that, being as you're one of us!