The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

23 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I had to have a good laugh at that line. Yeah, it's much smaller. It's a community of one, which kind of turns the word "community" right on its ear, doesn't it? Haha! Oh, I know, I know. I've got you guys here online, and that's ok. In much the same way that I am loathe to ride my motorbike with 40 other people on a Sunday afternoon, and taking a yoga "class" is an anathema to me, I'm quite all right on my own, thank you.

As to the second bolded portion, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "pronation in the female bone structure." If it means what I think it means, isn't this pronation a fundamental part of why you can tell the difference between a woman's walk and a man's walk at a distance?

I guess You are on the right track. May i give an example: my wife, she can walk perfectly on heels with her left leg/foot, but has a slight pronation with her right side in heels, it even shows when she is standing in heels.

An example:

j571121.thumb.jpg.257c906be96bc3df3b87582e0158c778.jpg

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

On 5/13/2021 at 8:46 PM, jeremy1986 said:

Been eyeing these.... what color to you get?

My Recite boots are the black suedette, size UK13 (which is more like a UK12), standard width.   Those are the only version of Recite that has been made in sizes larger than UK10.   I find them comfortable and stable.   Most of the Recite boots are now out of stock, but still listed are the black in wide fit in UK7, 8 or 9 (discounted to £15.00) and the tan suede in UK8 or 9 in standard or wide fit (discounted to £13.00).

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:04 AM, Puffer said:

My Recite boots are the black suedette, size UK13 (which is more like a UK12), standard width.   Those are the only version of Recite that has been made in sizes larger than UK10.   I find them comfortable and stable.   Most of the Recite boots are now out of stock, but still listed are the black in wide fit in UK7, 8 or 9 (discounted to £15.00) and the tan suede in UK8 or 9 in standard or wide fit (discounted to £13.00).

Their new sizes, are great, right??

I can get away with a size 8 and maybe 9 if needed. Those prices Are hard to say no to... 

8 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Their new sizes, are great, right??

I can get away with a size 8 and maybe 9 if needed. Those prices Are hard to say no to... 

Indeed.  I just hope that ASOS continues to produce stylish footwear in the larger sizes (UK10 - 13).   The fact that the relevant footwear is now mostly sold out and customer reviews have been positive is encouraging - but there is little evidence of anything new right now.   Maybe we must wait for another 'boot' season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

Indeed.  I just hope that ASOS continues to produce stylish footwear in the larger sizes (UK10 - 13).   The fact that the relevant footwear is now mostly sold out and customer reviews have been positive is encouraging - but there is little evidence of anything new right now.   Maybe we must wait for another 'boot' season?

I bought the recite in Tan size 9 (i just forgot the name!)  - they have mixed reviews. But i'm very happy. They feel super comfy, good solid feel and a great height. Still available in 8 or 9 (wide fit even - see https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-wide-fit-recite-heeled-ankle-boots-in-tan/prd/20828677?ctaRef=my orders   - see if you can see my review there ;-) ).  Am considering buying the black too, also available in 8 or 9 i think. and on special! 

But yes - hopefully boot season will come soon...!

4 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I looked on the Asos site the other day and didn’t see anything at all with heels for men, and none of the women’s ankle boots in any larger sizes whatsoever

These are the mens booted heels right now (i didnt filter for size...) . Not much to look at.... but it's progress ;-) 

https://www.asos.com/men/shoes-boots-trainers/boots/cat/?cid=5774&currentpricerange=10-230&nlid=mw|shoes|shop by product|boots&refine=attribute_1046:8642 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

I bought the recite in Tan size 9 (i just forgot the name!)  - they have mixed reviews. But i'm very happy. They feel super comfy, good solid feel and a great height. Still available in 8 or 9 (wide fit even - see https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-wide-fit-recite-heeled-ankle-boots-in-tan/prd/20828677?ctaRef=my orders   - see if you can see my review there ;-) ).  Am considering buying the black too, also available in 8 or 9 i think. and on special! 

But yes - hopefully boot season will come soon...!

These are the mens booted heels right now (i didnt filter for size...) . Not much to look at.... but it's progress ;-) 

https://www.asos.com/men/shoes-boots-trainers/boots/cat/?cid=5774&currentpricerange=10-230&nlid=mw|shoes|shop by product|boots&refine=attribute_1046:8642 

Now I know you have the Recite boots, I'm guessing yours is the 'Fab boots' review.   I have worn my black ones in public (discretely, under bootcut jeans) on a number of occasions and am happy in them.   I'm sure they have been spotted but I'm still here! 

As you say, the other ASOS heeled boots currently on offer in the men's section are not very exciting.   But those not needing the biggest sizes can still find a few to consider apart from the Recite model - these for instance: https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-retreat-heeled-ankle-boots-in-black/prd/20831777?ctaref=we+recommend+carousel_2&featureref1=we+recommend+pers

20831777-1-black?$n_240w$&wid=168&fit=constrain

• Like 1

Another Sunday. Nothing too exciting to report, other than a couple of weeks ago I realized that I no longer have any "practical" dress shoes. They are all like the ones pictured or worse! I need to prepare for some of those days when I am feeling less than coordinated, or just flat worn out. I did buy some sub-4 inch pumps a little while ago, but they turned out to be too small. I can't hardly bring myself to buy short heels, but I really ought to, just in case.

BurgandySuit2.jpg

BurgandySuit.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Haha, my wife threatened to get me dress shoes last night while we were planning outfits for a 1940s themed party coming up.  Maybe I can convince her that I don’t want to do the urban outfit anymore and go for a classic country western look, wearing cowboy boots...

41 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

Haha, my wife threatened to get me dress shoes last night while we were planning outfits for a 1940s themed party coming up.  Maybe I can convince her that I don’t want to do the urban outfit anymore and go for a classic country western look, wearing cowboy boots...

Have her get you 40's style pin up heels. Chunkier heels, round toes and way higher than people think heels, 4 plus inches. They were dress shoes after all.

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Another Sunday. Nothing too exciting to report, other than a couple of weeks ago I realized that I no longer have any "practical" dress shoes. They are all like the ones pictured or worse! I need to prepare for some of those days when I am feeling less than coordinated, or just flat worn out. I did buy some sub-4 inch pumps a little while ago, but they turned out to be too small. I can't hardly bring myself to buy short heels, but I really ought to, just in case.

BurgandySuit2.jpg

BurgandySuit.jpg

Those loafer heels are very classy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Have her get you 40's style pin up heels. Chunkier heels, round toes and way higher than people think heels, 4 plus inches. They were dress shoes after all.

Haha, actually, she was showing me heels she is thinking of buying for herself, which is kind of exciting given that she never wears heels:

Brown vintage shoes in suede - 40s vintage style pumps – memery

She won't be getting them for me though.  

My 12 year old had a band concert last week. It was much better than I expected, especially considering that the entire band had only rehearsed all together once because of pandemic restrictions. But you didn't come here to hear about a Middle School band concert. You came here to hear about the State of Heels amongst young people.

I can report that I was the only male, young or old, wearing heels at the concert. No big surprise there. They made the kids dress up a little bit, but parents apparently did not get the hint. No heels of any appreciable height among the parents. I guess there were about 5 girls out of the whole band (maybe 100 kids, so 50 girls) who wore what you could call "heels." 3 of those were very, very short heels. Which is fine, they're 12. The girl in the silver heeled sandals I mentioned a couple of months ago returned with her silver heels. Evidently she plays the clarinet.

And then there was another girl who had on some rather high black suede platform wedge pumps. It's hard to tell from a distance, but I would guesstimate 4 inch heel, 1 inch platform. Which is a serious heel, but this particular girl should probably wait to wear heels until she's older. It was not a pretty sight. Not because she was particularly clumsy, but she was very childlike in her presence, and heels are kind of an adult thing. It just did not look right, for some reason.

So, you know, heels aren't completely dead, which is good I guess.

I would have to agree with you.  Those do not sound appropriate for a 12 year old.  I wonder if it was the girl that wants to wear them or a parental influence.  

I violated one of my most important rules yesterday, which is "Never wear a pair of new shoes out in public without sort of vetting them first." But I think I got by with it, because most of the learning curve was seen by nobody. I don't know what it is about these Miu Miu sandals, but they're a little different to walk in. Can't really put my finger on it, but by the end of church, I had got used to whatever it is, thankfully.

I tried out the boot cut style pants again, just to see, and I think this is coming back into style. I do not think I will ever wear that shirt again. It doesn't seem to suit me, fit-wise, and it's not worth having it altered. And I should have moved that transmission funnel before taking this picture, but oh well. It's not like y'all are picky or anything.

MiuMiuTanSide.jpg

MiuMiuTan.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I violated one of my most important rules yesterday, which is "Never wear a pair of new shoes out in public without sort of vetting them first." But I think I got by with it, because most of the learning curve was seen by nobody. I don't know what it is about these Miu Miu sandals, but they're a little different to walk in. Can't really put my finger on it, but by the end of church, I had got used to whatever it is, thankfully.

I tried out the boot cut style pants again, just to see, and I think this is coming back into style. I do not think I will ever wear that shirt again. It doesn't seem to suit me, fit-wise, and it's not worth having it altered. And I should have moved that transmission funnel before taking this picture, but oh well. It's not like y'all are picky or anything.

MiuMiuTanSide.jpg

MiuMiuTan.jpg

Pretty steep, good looking shoes. Excellent choice, your church is a rare but great entity. True Christian values, full acceptance.

That funnel on the ground, not a party funnel i hope ;-)

Yeah I like the flare on those pants too.  Half the time I can't find the funnel when I need it.  I'd leave it in the shot so I can remember where I put it last :)  

Edited by p1ng74

19 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Pretty steep, good looking shoes. Excellent choice, your church is a rare but great entity. True Christian values, full acceptance.

That funnel on the ground, not a party funnel i hope ;-)

11 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Yeah I like the flare on those pants too.  Half the time I can't find the funnel when I need it.  I'd leave it in the shot so I can remember where I put it last :)  

The funnel is and has been used for its intended purpose, though the reason why it happens to be laying on the ground in the instant situation is that my son used it to put fuel in his latest acquisition, an old Maytag washing machine engine, which has a tiny, tiny fuel filler opening.

I really do like those pants, though I don't wear them often. I think the new style of flared pants seems to be somewhat shorter than it used to be. Since covering up my heels is not in my thoughts at all anymore, I might have to experiment with that a little bit. On this particular morning, I did not have any trouble with my pant legs catching on the backs of my shoes. That used to drive me crazy. I can remember the (women's) style of a number of years gone by was to have your pants so long that all you could see sticking out the bottom was just a tiny pin of stiletto, which was simultaneously alluring and frustrating. And it ruined a lot of pants in the real world.

Edited by mlroseplant

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

The funnel is and has been used for its intended purpose, though the reason why it happens to be laying on the ground in the instant situation is that my son used it to put fuel in his latest acquisition, an old Maytag washing machine engine, which has a tiny, tiny fuel filler opening.

Now that is a relic, and I am assuming that it runs if you are fueling it.  I have never seen one in person, and I imagine it to be quite fascinating to run!  

On 5/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, p1ng74 said:

Now that is a relic, and I am assuming that it runs if you are fueling it.  I have never seen one in person, and I imagine it to be quite fascinating to run!  

Perhaps they are more numerous here because Iowa is (or was) the home of Maytag. They are unusual to see in everyday life, but I wouldn't call them rare yet, in the way that a Ford flathead V-8 is not rare. It was not difficult to get running, according to my son (I had little to do with the whole affair), just dirty points. It doesn't start easily, but it does run. It came with a gasket set, which it needs. I can upload a video to Youtube if you like.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, p1ng74 said:

Here is a video of it running. My son did some work on it since my first posting. The muffler is not stock. But it helps our relations with the neighbors!

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

Soooo.  .  . it has been an interesting Memorial Day weekend. My two sons took a road trip and broke down on the highway. I got an unsolicited compliment about my heels while out and about. I got a surprise visit from a young lady who has been featured in this thread before. And I learned something about my marriage from said young lady. After all, she shares a common mother tongue with my wife, and girls will talk. Yep, as usual, my wife cut off my shoes in this picture. That was not an accident.

Oh yeah, and I fell down and cut my damn forehead. That about rounds out the weekend!

Hang2021.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Yep, as usual, my wife cut off my shoes in this picture. That was not an accident.

Oh yeah, and I fell down and cut my damn forehead. That about rounds out the weekend!

And the heels in the Maytag video were not an accident either :)  Glad you made it home safe it sound hopefully, despite the bumps along the way.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:25 AM, mlroseplant said:

Oh yeah, and I fell down and cut my damn forehead.

Hopefully it was not because of heels?  That would just give your wife more reasons to tell you that your heels are not great!

I have actual news. I went out for the first time in nearly a year and a half to see some live music. My first thought is that I need to up my game, because man, I suck, musically. My second thought is that I worried way too much about what was going to happen, I tortured myself about wearing shorts and high heels to the venue (a small bar in a non-suburban part of Des Moines). I finally wound up sort of compromising and I wore my "practical" shoes instead of what my first instinct was. Whatever. I guess I'm beyond wearing the highest heels everywhere, all the time. And I think they were pretty cute! A couple of women at the venue, outside the bar where conversation could actually take place, seemed to think so. Both of these women were wearing heels, and one of them was wearing heels AND really short shorts. No way! Some of you don't think that happens anymore. I'm here to tell you that it happened, right here in Central Iowa. Unfortunately, I didn't have the wherewithal to ask for photographic evidence, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

After discussing our outfits for a while, one of the women, certainly Under The Influence, got right up in my face, and asked me, "Is that a mask you have in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" I actually pulled a mask out of my pocket, put it on, and said, "Both!", slapped her in the rump, and walked away. It's one of the most awesome things I've ever done in my life!

Not an actual picture of the actual night, but images of the rather tame shoes I wore and a reasonable facsimile of my OOTN, albeit with different shoes.

SöfftWedgesShorts.jpg

SöfftCorkSide.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, RonC said:

Nice wearable sandals.  I must say I am a bit surprised with the slap on the rump!  Wouldn't have thought that was you!  lol.

I don't think it WAS me. I'm not really sure WHO that was. Like my coworker said right after, "Never underestimate The Squirrel."

• Haha 1

Looks like you had a good Memorial Day weekend as well as other adventures. We got back to Wisconsin on 6 May after 6 months in Arizona and visited Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Parks on the way back. Having been working in our yard I have been watering flowers and small plants every day as if I were back in Yuma. It's so dry here. Then I remembered your comment  about how this part of the country already had irrigation systems in place. It's called rain. Problem is that system has been off for a while!  Your son has grown taller and his mechanical ability has grown wider since I last saw him. It's really remarkable. You may need another outbuilding for future projects! It's nice to finally be entering stores and the like without a mask. It's not like that everywhere though. Conversations with my dad's family in Quebec shows they had some of the most restrictive procedures anywhere in North America. Here's hoping for normal times ahead. Laissez le bon temps ruouler! HinH 

4 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Looks like you had a good Memorial Day weekend as well as other adventures. We got back to Wisconsin on 6 May after 6 months in Arizona and visited Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Parks on the way back. Having been working in our yard I have been watering flowers and small plants every day as if I were back in Yuma. It's so dry here. Then I remembered your comment  about how this part of the country already had irrigation systems in place. It's called rain. Problem is that system has been off for a while!  Your son has grown taller and his mechanical ability has grown wider since I last saw him. It's really remarkable. You may need another outbuilding for future projects! It's nice to finally be entering stores and the like without a mask. It's not like that everywhere though. Conversations with my dad's family in Quebec shows they had some of the most restrictive procedures anywhere in North America. Here's hoping for normal times ahead. Laissez le bon temps ruouler! HinH 

Or we might just need to get rid of some damn mowers! We have actually talked about building a shop in the back where that clump of trees now stands. However, due to the price of building materials as of late.  .  . eh, I'm think I'm going to wait on that one.

It is quite strange to be out and about without a mask, but I think I look better with one! Vietnam and Korea sound like they're about the same way as Canada. Mandatory masks for everything still.

Welcome back to the forum, HiH, and if you ever make it out this way, feel free to stop by!

Got my picture taken at my local hardware store today by a man about my age or maybe a little bit older. He obviously forgot to silence the fake SLR shutter sound on his phone, and he refused to make eye contact with me after I noticed the sound.  It did not strike any bit of panic in me like it would have back in the old days, but rather, I wanted to say to him that it was rather impolite to snap a furtive photo, and I was genuinely curious to see what he had, and then offer suggestions for improvement. However, I did nothing, and continued my transaction with a cashier I’ve known for years. 

I’m of two minds about this. On one hand, I really don’t give a shit. But on the other hand, there’s a golden band to remind me of someone who would not understand. Ah....sorry.....I forgot where I was for a moment. But on the other hand, I almost wish I had grabbed this situation as a teachable moment. What say you? For what it’s worth, I was wearing shorts and high heels quite similar to countless previous photos on this thread. 

• Like 1