4" too high for a beginner? Opinions?

TabascoTesa

Hi all, I'm new to posting but I've been lurking for the last few weeks or so--I came here because I was dying to try some daring new strappy sandal heels! A Google search wound me up here.

I posted a little bit of my desire over in the Wanted forum. I'm okay with 3" heels, but I want to do something a little bit daring and I've never had real stillettos over like 2.75" before. I also wear a size 11-12 in women's shoes, so it's a challenge finding anything attractive and affordable.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems there's a lot of very experienced heel wearers here on the "For the Gals" forum, and that this particular area of the forum is extremely active, so I figured I'd at least try here :D

I'm probably gonna want something kinda like this sandal from Frederick's of Hollywood because I want something strappy and open--I'm not really looking for pumps or mules.

These are really cute and affordable, but does anybody think they're too much for a beginner? Do they look tastefully conservative? I know there are some people here who prefer a more extreme, "fetish-y" look and that's okay--but I'd like to be a bit more on the conservative side.

Sorry this is so long, I'm new here :D

i think height of comfortable heels is down to the capability of an individual. While my girlfriend has worn heels 500000 times more than i have in my life, i can manage 4.5in stilettos for a full day without quibbling, yet 3in for half an hour and she is already starting to moan about them been too high. To me 4in doesnt seem so high, a comfortable reasonable everyday use height, but to others this may not be the case daz

Frankly, my most comfortable boots are this high. Have never worn HH sandals, tho. I would think you would want a little more support as a beginner--at least something to limit the side-to-side motion of the heel and upper arch area of your foot--for stability while you get used to walking--perhaps a "demi-sandal" (closed heel, sandal straps on lower foot), or an open toed mule (or a mule-like sandal with several straps surrounding the arch area). To sort of simulate the support you get from a pair of glove-tight boots. Unfortunately you need a shoe that really fits--the kind of fit you will only get trying a bunch on in a store (or buying several pairs in succession by mail, and returning them in succession until you, by chance, find one that fits).

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I find that 4" heels are as comfortable as flats and I can also wear 5" heels with comfort too. Some people find that 3" are too high, it depends on the individual.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

While my girlfriend has worn heels 500000 times more than i have in my life......

daz

Let's see, assume she has been wearing heels for 20 years (started young!) and has worn them every day - that gives 7305 wearing-days, so let's divide that into 500,000. That gives us just over 68 times a day! So, if she sleeps for 8 hours a day, she wears (changes?) her shoes more than 4 times an hour, every hour of every day!

I've told you a million times, Daz, stop exaggerating :D

Emma

I couldn't resist any longer, so I splurged and went ahead and ordered a pair of 4" heel sandals. I'll take pictures of them as soon as I get them :D Unfortunately I do live out in the middle of nowhere and have no realistic way to go to shoe stores that would accomodate my size 11-12 US footsies, so this had to be an online purchase. They have fat leather quarterstraps to keep them on my ankle, a T-strap down the middle, and another band at the toe. Altogether very practical! What pushed me over the edge for this purchase: I've been wearing higher heels than I thought. I just measured a pair of sandals I've had for a little while (I got them at Payless.) Their website claims this particular pair has a 2" heel (yawn) but on my size 11 feet it's actually scaled up to a 3" heel. Another pair I thought was a mere 3" actually measured to a whopping 4". It's amazing what a tape measure will tell you! You guys are all really cool and I like it here. Except my nickname is really boring. Maybe I'll come back with a new one.

Hi Shoelover, and welcome. I'm sure you will find the forum very supportive and friendly. Good luck with your new shoes and please keep us updated on your progress. :D

• 3 years later...

I wear 5" stilettos too, and they're very comfortable for me. Even more than my f***ing slippers!!! (I'm quite short, so without heels I can't reach the high furniture in the kitchen, for example)

Can you see the real me, preacher? Can you see the real me, doctor? Can you see the real me, mother? Can you see the real me?

well, my 1st pair was only 3, but all others are 4 & 5 inches (none are stilettos, since they are too hard for me to walk much less balence in though)

Guest Loveshiheels

My first pair I bought has 5" stilettos heels and I have aways found them easy and comfortable to be able to wear them all day. Having size 10 feet does help.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I would say that if you are a true beginner that yes 4" would be to high to start out in, but since you have said that you have been wearing heels that are at least 3" I think you will be fine. The biggest issue that you will have is learning to walk in them with out looking silly. I think most would agree here that walking in a tiny heel takes a bit of practice. I have a pair of 4" pumps I wear sometime's and I can tell when I haven't worn them for awhile because my feet will bother me for a bit, but after a little bit it's game on. I can spend all day in a pair of 4" pumps without a problem. Although I tend to stick to 3" that seems to be a great height for me.

As others have said, one might want to start out with a lower heel height, 2" or 3", and then in private, practice wearing 4" heels before you wear them in public or wear them for any length of time. The more one practices, the more confident and comfortable one will become.

When I first started wearing heels (only a few months ago) I was very poor on my 5s, so I bought a pair of 4" and slowly practised on those, doing an extra 15 minutes at a time. Now I can do 5" reasonably well, but still find a pair of 6s a struggle I wish I'd have started with some 4" slingbacks, (which I now find so easy to walk in)

I would say, if you have 3" heels, make sure that you walk plenty in them. It is your calf muscles which need training, even with good ankle flex. If you feel sore calf muscles, then keep doing plenty of walking till you van walk 2 or 3 miles without sore muscles. Next move to you new four inch heels, and you may notice pain in the calf muscles. Keep up the walking, then when there is no undue discomfort, you are ready to move up higher if you desire. I wouldrecomend at least a 1/2 " platform, as it vives better ball support for your foot with out stone bruises which can occur when walking out from indoors. Just my pennies worth Have fun

Blacksheep

Hi, as others have rightly said, its just spending time wearing heels and building up experience and comfort level. Wearing heels out and about is much harder than indoors and until you've done enough of it you won't have been presented with enough of the situations an experienced wearer would have come across before and doesn't think twice about any longer. When thinking of this - the last thing a new wearer needs is to be adding an extra dimension of difficulty/risk of embarrassment by pushing for higher heels too quickly. In my opinion everyone should spend ages in their heels till they can do near anything in them before moving that little bit higher. Cheers Heel-Lover

My first pair of high heel boots was vintage 80's style in black with a 4" heel. So there was not much time for building up to 4 inches. Although it did make going out in lower heels easier. So I would say 4 inches is fine, and it is my max and highest heel to date..

I tend to hover around 4" heeled boots of late and am totally comfortable in them. I personally had to build up to this from 3" but as has been said already, everyone is different. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

Another factor that should be considered is the styling or construction of the shoes. Some styles that are 4" I can't wear for very long, but I also have other heels that may be even higher that are more comfortable and I can spend the whole day in them with no problems. By the way, a lot of heelers claim to wear extremely high heels, but they actually don't because the equivalent height of their footwear may be less than 5" at the most. I have some 6" heels with a 2" platform, so I refer to them as 4" eqivalent 2" platform heels. Even if the heels were 8" and the platforms were 3.5", I'd refer to them as 4.5" equivalent 3.5" platform heels.

I agree ! The amount of lift (heel height minus platform height) is a much better guide to how easy they are to walk in than the heel height alone. Also important is: - Footwear type: Boots are easier than shoes which are easier than sandals due to the reduced amount of ankle support. - Sizing needs to be good and snug to provide the right level of comfort versus support. - finally there is the "unknown" factor which is that some shoes with identical heel height and lift are just easier and more comfortable to walk in than others. More expensive shoes are generally better, but I've found some cheap shoes happen to be great, others not. I believe that shoes with a well balanced and stiff heel work well. A classic stiletto shaped heel where the heel curves beautifully inwards under the shoe works better than when the heel tip is located further back.

I my self is waiting for ma pair of 4 inch heels, it is a puzzle to me to, whether i will be able to walk in them. i have tried chunky 2 inch heels before, but have a huge doubt about 4inch stilettos. I think it will be tough at the start since the legs have to be adjusted to the stilettos. but i feel it is better try'n rather than waiting till someday when i feel it is right, always today not tomorrow..