4" too high for a beginner? Opinions?

TabascoTesa

personally, i find 4" the most comfortable heel height. I wear stiletto's with pointy toes and 4" is the perfect height for balance and comfort. I find lower heels can get a bit of a wobble on them and make you a bit unsteady sometimes...

I Started on a 4" because I didn't have any other styles available. I was housesitting a family friends townhouse. The lady of the house had great taste in shoes. My shoesize was the same. Being a bit bored a evening I tried on a pair of white 4" pumps. They were so comfortable, I ended up spending lots of time with them. There were different colours in the same style, this was the eighties, it was fashionable to have the whole rainbow of colour in shoes, belts and various items, to colour code your look. I found the 4" to work well for a while and then started on higher heights up to 6.5". Once you have the technique the rest follows naturally. I bought my own pairs since then, and I have enjoyed wearing heels for 21 years now. My collection has grown as did my interest in how different heel heights feel in various styles. Cheers LegzG

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the person. For some people 4 inches is way too high and for others it is not. Some people are better off starting with 2 or 2 1/2 inches and then move up slowly. OK, for the grandmasters here that is nothing, but a certain amount of comfort is important to make the shoes part of yourself. Otherwise you are just training to see them as foreign objects. If you can handle 4 inches right away and start running around in them immediately, so much the better for you. But do not see that as the norm. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Another factor to take into account is that those with bigger feet and shoe size need a higher heel to look and feel the same. Often bigger shoe sizes don't scale up the heel height proporationally. The result is smaller size shoes often have a steeper foot slope than larger ones. I've wrote a quick spread sheet to show what the proporational change in heel height should be, but can't figure out how to post it. It shows that a small footed lady (size 36) who can handle wearing 5" heels has the same heeling ability as a size 45 man who can comfortably handle 6" heels. A few other equivalents are: 4" at size 36 = 4.5" at size 43 5" at size 36 = 5.5" at size 41 Keep practicing !