When does your shoe closet get purged? (if ever)

ohnoberty

Hit me a few weeks ago that I had expanded my collection too far and many pairs were not getting worn or even saw the light of day. So i've taken to having a purge. I think the deciding point was when I was about 5 - 10 pairs more than the shoe storage could take.

• Like 1

I do not have anywhere near the number of heels in my wardrobe as many of the members here, but I too shall probably be obliged to downsize - hopefully not by much - in my off-grid move. But I shall certainly still have mainly heels in my wardrobe 

• Like 2

"Purge" is a term that used to apply when I was much younger and was a bit ashamed of my obsession with heels. Also, I only had 2 or 3 pairs at a time. "Cull" or "prune" would definitely be more applicable today. Much like you (the O.P.), one of the factors is when I have shoes that are consistently neglected. My collection is slightly over 100 pairs, so it's very easy to not wear something for a year or two. At the opposite end of the spectrum, shoes in our world do not tend to be particularly durable, so shoes that get worn a lot either break eventually or just become so ratty looking and unpresentable that they too, must go.

There is the stuff that never quite fit right, the stuff that seemed cool at the time, but has not aged well. Sometimes, one just changes his taste in shoes and clothing. Sometimes, one gains skill over the years, making a wider variety of shoes accessible where they weren't before. It is very rare, for example, unless there is a specific reason to do so, for me to choose one of my pairs of 2 - 2 1/2" heels over something much higher. I wore lower heels a lot a number of years ago, because back then I couldn't hack a day in 4"+.

In closing, I just in the last week built an additional shelf for my shoes, so that all of them are once again off the floor. I really should not allow the collection to get any larger than it is right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

"Purge" is a term that used to apply when I was much younger and was a bit ashamed of my obsession with heels. Also, I only had 2 or 3 pairs at a time. "Cull" or "prune" would definitely be more applicable today. Much like you (the O.P.), one of the factors is when I have shoes that are consistently neglected. My collection is slightly over 100 pairs, so it's very easy to not wear something for a year or two. At the opposite end of the spectrum, shoes in our world do not tend to be particularly durable, so shoes that get worn a lot either break eventually or just become so ratty looking and unpresentable that they too, must go.

There is the stuff that never quite fit right, the stuff that seemed cool at the time, but has not aged well. Sometimes, one just changes his taste in shoes and clothing. Sometimes, one gains skill over the years, making a wider variety of shoes accessible where they weren't before. It is very rare, for example, unless there is a specific reason to do so, for me to choose one of my pairs of 2 - 2 1/2" heels over something much higher. I wore lower heels a lot a number of years ago, because back then I couldn't hack a day in 4"+.

In closing, I just in the last week built an additional shelf for my shoes, so that all of them are once again off the floor. I really should not allow the collection to get any larger than it is right now.

Yes, exactly.  

• Like 1

Call it whatever you will. And yes, occasionally you have to trim the collection down. Ideally you'd sell them off, but I find it mentally tiring to do so, dealing with the lowballers and weirdos. Not the fine folk here, who are all well rounded individuals. But when you've tried to sell some shoes a couple of times and you get people who say they get turned on by them and that they like to suck dick, that kinda makes you want to stop selling them and instead just dump them in a used clothing collection point.

• Like 1

For me, there is no schedule to purge, downsize, or whatever else you want to call it.  Most of my shoes are usually purchased second hand.  So they sometimes wear out quicker.  Plus I find my taste in heels changes from time to time also.  I never buy shoes I don't like.  But sometimes I'll go through my collection from time to time, i'll find a pair of heels and go, what was I thinking!  Plus, my shoe size seems to change from time to time also.  So shoes that fit a year ago may not fit now.  Or sometimes I just downsize.  I'll go through my collection and get rid of shoes that I haven't worn in a really long time.

• Like 2

I agree with Mr. X. 50% or more of my heels were pre-owned. I like the idea of not having to break in heels. When I do move on I do try to sell those that are in better shape, many buyers. Usually sell for under $25 including shipping, so not making any money, but still I'll admit I like knowing another guy and occasionally lady likes my heels enough to wear them. If they don't sell they get donated. 

• Like 1

A topic resurrected from past years but this time I pose a question. I do have a lot of shoes many of which are still in their original boxes. While I have striven to wear as many as possible I know I could sell some but am curious what methods worked best for our members. I do like JKrenzers idea of selling inexpensively as I conclude he doesn't want to make money rather pass along something he's not really using. HinH

• Like 1

My son sell many things on the net. I asked him about selling some of my CFM heels. They are in very good condition, but they are not very comfortable to wear long time.  So they have sat on the shelf for YEARS.

To him it was just not worth it.  Yes, he might be able to get as much as $30 each, but the work to showcase them was not worth his time.  I plan to try some consignment stores or donate to a LGB... support group or a ...

Then I have several Charles by Charles David gladiator wedges where the glue has failed. I have gotten my use out of them  However. I have not found decent replacements. And I looked! And looked1 Those heels go into my shop and hopefully I can get them back in my closet before fall rain.

• Like 3

That's because I don't have pictures with me in them.

These are Bamboo T-Strap platform sandals, US size 10.  Taupe laser cut.

4S Bamboo 01HH.JPG

And these are Steve Madden Gretchen, Black suede uppers

6 inch heel, 2 inch platform

Gretchen 4S 06HH.JPG

Gretchen 4S 01HH.JPG

I should add that I didn't reffer to them as CFM until a woman called them CFM heels and I had to ask her what that meant.  So naive.  😁

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Cali said:

My son sell many things on the net. I asked him about selling some of my CFM heels. They are in very good condition, but they are not very comfortable to wear long time.  So they have sat on the shelf for YEARS.

To him it was just not worth it.  Yes, he might be able to get as much as $30 each, but the work to showcase them was not worth his time.  I plan to try some consignment stores or donate to a LGB... support group or a ...

Then I have several Charles by Charles David gladiator wedges where the glue has failed. I have gotten my use out of them  However. I have not found decent replacements. And I looked! And looked1 Those heels go into my shop and hopefully I can get them back in my closet before fall rain.

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at. If I have some shoes to get rid of, it's way too much trouble to bother trying to sell them. Once upon a time I would have, but those days are long past.

The shoes pictured here are not really what I'd call CFM shoes, they are very casual and/or funky. Either this woman you refer to doesn't understand the definition, or she was winding you up a bit. One could argue that @Jkrenzer wears CFM shoes pretty much every day, but not you and not me. And honestly, I think the term is probably rather dated.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:54 PM, Cali said:

I agree. For the amount of work that you have to put into selling them and for the money you're most likely to get it's just not worth the time.

Edited by Chorlini
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Darwin's Theory of Evolution. Ill-fitting become extrict. Some die off (worn out), then fail to exist in the wild (no longer made). Some don't hold up and vanish (in the bin).

But the most important thing now Is to purchase classics. Invest (because it is truly and investment) in high quality, well fitting shoes, and take care of them

Edited by Cali

8 hours ago, NrthEastHeel said:

My tastes and styles tend to change over time, so the odd pair gets purged here and there. Id say about once a year i go through mine and decide which i cant part with and ones that i can :)

Same here, my taste in boots has "evolved" over time, so I really need to let a few pairs go that I know I won't wear anymore...