I need help with a decision - boots or wedges?

jeremy1986

I'm itching to buy a new pair of heels.

I have a pair of wedges I have been eyeing for a few months - they have come down in price very nicely and are now about £15. the heel is about 5.5" and has a platform. its wide fit too, so that's a plus! I have a few other wedges - none exactly the same as this one, but somewhat close in style.

On the other hand, I just saw a stunning pair of knee high boots... stiletto with pointy toe - just gorgeous... priced at £36... Now, I have another pair, very similar - differences are small - like round toe VS pointy toe, half zip VS full zip... but pretty much the same boot.  £36 is also more than I was hoping to spend (and more that I have ever spent on heels...).
another factor is we are coming into winter now... a reason to buy more boots and not a summery wedge???

I know most folks will tell me just to get the boots probably... and yet I am still putting it out there for your thoughts and comments.

Thanks! 

bbb.PNG

aaa.PNG

• Like 5

Jeremy, you are right, I surely would go for those nice boots....I love this exact classic styling myself.  You can never have too many pairs, my RL boots are getting the heel tips replaced right now.  Us guys tend to walk more in our heels/boots and wear them out faster....

I'm not sure of the exchange rate, but am guessing 36UK pounds is about $100US, so that is not too much to spend on boots/heels that you really like.  Trust me, I am not downplaying budget constraints, totally understand those for sure.  Are both boots and wedges from the same store?  Perhaps the store offers a layaway program (for the holidays), giving you the chance to slowly save-up and pay them off over time, this way you can purchase both pairs....

Let us know what you decide...D

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, @pebblesf

Yes - they are from the same store - asos.com. They have a great 20% discount on now - even off sale items, which they only have like twice a year for a few days. The wedges are in the sales dept already (been discounted by 50% already - that's why they are so cheap). The boots are new stock (in fact must have come in within the last couple of days, as I haven't seen them till this week), and to get them at 20% at this point of the year is a great deal I think. By the way, I think the conversion would come to about $50 - so that's even better, right :cheeky: 
And yes... if it were up to me, I would be wearing knee high boots the whole year round! (I have never liked OTK or thigh high... but have seen some classic looking styles recently that I could "see myself in"...  like you, I just love the classic looks!)

Thanks for the idea of the layaway... I haven't seen that, but maybe I can work on credit card payments... hmmmm ... but I don't think I can justify both pairs - though I would so love to!!! I think I will buy my wife a little something though... now THAT I can justify :cheeky: 

Edited by jeremy1986

20 minutes ago, jeremy1986 said:

Thanks for the feedback, @pebblesf

Yes - they are from the same store - asos.com. They have a great 20% discount on now - even off sale items, which they only have like twice a year for a few days. The wedges are in the sales dept already (been discounted by 50% already - that's why they are so cheap). The boots are new stock (in fact must have come in within the last couple of days, as I haven't seen them till this week), and to get them at 20% at this point of the year is a great deal I think. By the way, I think the conversion would come to about $50 - so that's even better, right :cheeky: 
And yes... if it were up to me, I would be wearing knee high boots the whole year round! (I have never liked OTK or thigh high... but have seen some classic looking styles recently that I could "see myself in"...  like you, I just love the classic looks!)

Thanks for the idea of the layaway... I haven't seen that, but maybe I can work on credit card payments... hmmmm ... but I don't think I can justify both pairs - though I would so love to!!! I think I will buy my wife a little something though... now THAT I can justify :cheeky: 

OK, so I guess the pound and dollar are almost equal now...

I know, I can't "justify" spending money on boots that I want, which is why I usually get used ones, even these smaller expenditures I can not "justify".  But, we deserve to treat ourselves to a little something nice every once in awhile....It all comes down to how much do you really like that exact pair of boots?  Are they all leather?  How well do they fit, on your feet as well as legs?  If you are not that excited about this exact pair of boots, then wait for the ones you really want to come along.  But, if these boots check off most of the right boxes, then I would definitely buy them buddy.  Denying yourself too often leads to resentment.  It is not like you are spending 1000 pounds on some designer boots, 36 pounds is not an unreasonable "treat".  Ask about layaway, if that is not an option, use the credit card and put aside enough money every week so you can pay them off in a month or so. 

Your final idea is the best though, treat the wife to something as well....Take her shopping, hopefully she wants a new pair as well...

Boots have always been my long time favorite when its for me.  Sandals on a lovely woman though, well nothing finer.  I'm getting bolder lately and wearing them myself, but anyway...  Its really up to you though, which do you love more and which will you get more enjoyment from wearing?

• Like 1

Thanks @Shyheels, @alphax, @hhboots for your input - I did but the boots in the end :) 

even though I love wedge sandals too, my main love has always been for HH boots... and they so "check the boxes" as @pebblesf put it so eloquently. I saw that the size 9 (UK) was going out and in of stock - meaning that were almost running out... whereas the wedge sandals have been there for a few month already (strange that... as they are quite nice looking!)... so I just nabbed the boots hoping that the wedges will still be around for my next urge! 

by the way - here is a link to them - http://www.asos.com/asos/asos-cora-slouch-pointed-knee-boots/prd/8325619 - the sale continues still for a couple of hours I think! 

4 hours ago, bootlover78 said:

I need to get a pair of boots like that someday!  I dont have nearly enough suede boots.

They are a shopping cart away :cheeky:  pretty sure asos must deliver in he US too! 

6 hours ago, pebblesf said:

OK, so I guess the pound and dollar are almost equal now...

I know, I can't "justify" spending money on boots that I want, which is why I usually get used ones, even these smaller expenditures I can not "justify".  But, we deserve to treat ourselves to a little something nice every once in awhile....It all comes down to how much do you really like that exact pair of boots?  Are they all leather?  How well do they fit, on your feet as well as legs?  If you are not that excited about this exact pair of boots, then wait for the ones you really want to come along.  But, if these boots check off most of the right boxes, then I would definitely buy them buddy.  Denying yourself too often leads to resentment.  It is not like you are spending 1000 pounds on some designer boots, 36 pounds is not an unreasonable "treat".  Ask about layaway, if that is not an option, use the credit card and put aside enough money every week so you can pay them off in a month or so. 

Your final idea is the best though, treat the wife to something as well....Take her shopping, hopefully she wants a new pair as well...

just out of interest - here are the 'boxes' these boots check for me - 

* classic look
* a thin stiletto high heel. it doesn't say how high they are, but I assume around 4" 
* slouch style
* black suede material
* a sexy pointy toe 
* a half zip which I like  (for some reason??)
* size 9 UK!  I can often fit into a size 8 too (I think the other pair is an 8), but would rather take a 9 to be safe. 

Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement, @pebblesf. you are right about treating ourselves sometimes. obviously one cannot buy beyond our means, but this is not a huge expense and I generally only buy on specials, once every few months. I just hope the fit is a good one - it should be , as I have quite a few pairs of asos heels & boots now. 

So I actually offered my wife a cute pair of flat sandals... surprisingly she turned them down!  I assume if it was the start or mid summer, she would have grabbed them. so I ended up getting her some sexy lingerie...  hope she likes (the lingerie and boots!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

I'm itching to buy a new pair of heels.

I have a pair of wedges I have been eyeing for a few months - they have come down in price very nicely and are now about £15. the heel is about 5.5" and has a platform. its wide fit too, so that's a plus! I have a few other wedges - none exactly the same as this one, but somewhat close in style.

On the other hand, I just saw a stunning pair of knee high boots... stiletto with pointy toe - just gorgeous... priced at £36... Now, I have another pair, very similar - differences are small - like round toe VS pointy toe, half zip VS full zip... but pretty much the same boot.  £36 is also more than I was hoping to spend (and more that I have ever spent on heels...).
another factor is we are coming into winter now... a reason to buy more boots and not a summery wedge???

I know most folks will tell me just to get the boots probably... and yet I am still putting it out there for your thoughts and comments.

Thanks! 

bbb.PNG

aaa.PNG

It's got to be the boots, they're such a classic shape and would look fabulous with any outfit and as you've probably guessed from my title i love a man in boots 

• Like 2

Get them both! You'll regret not buying the sandals if you miss them. You could be breaking them in round the house in time for public wear in spring

• Like 1

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

GET BOTH!

Yes both. Why not, it's not my money. But some of my heels/boots are over $300.

The sandals are at a great price. Skip a cup of tea twice and they are paid for.

If the boots fit, get them or wait for a better sale price. I just have trouble with half zips.  I wear both, had sandals on yesterday and boots today.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2

Good for you Jeremy!  I too, love the way those boots look, just the style I love as well.  They look to be high quality and will probably be relatively quiet while walking as well...

Can't wait to see the pics buddy...D

Thanks for the link Jeremy!  The do ship to the US (for free even!) but unfortunately they dont have my size available.  I also have some other things I need to buy before I get another pair of boots.  But they are certainly in the back of my mind right now.  I'll tuck them away for later when I do have the spare change to buy them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tacchi Alti said:

You could be breaking them in round the house in time for public wear in spring

Good idea... didn't think of that! 

21 hours ago, Cali said:

GET BOTH!

Yes both. Why not, it's not my money. But some of my heels/boots are over $300.

The sandals are at a great price. Skip a cup of tea twice and they are paid for.

If the boots fit, get them or wait for a better sale price. I just have trouble with half zips.  I wear both, had sandals on yesterday and boots today.

Thanks Cali. I laughed at that "not my money" bit... 

20 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Good for you Jeremy!  I too, love the way those boots look, just the style I love as well.  They look to be high quality and will probably be relatively quiet while walking as well...

Can't wait to see the pics buddy...D

Thanks my friend - will keep you posted for sure!!

10 hours ago, bootlover78 said:

Thanks for the link Jeremy!  The do ship to the US (for free even!) but unfortunately they dont have my size available.  I also have some other things I need to buy before I get another pair of boots.  But they are certainly in the back of my mind right now.  I'll tuck them away for later when I do have the spare change to buy them.

"spare change" - haha :D  
what else are you hoping to buy?

• Like 1

jeremy1986,

The wedges are adorable! Very much like wedges I have. The boots also look incredible. I'd get both. You'll have an awesome pair for your prolonged cool period in the UK and then you can enjoy your wedges when the daily maximum warms to at least 15C/59F. A total of 51 pounds  (65-69$) seems extremely reasonable for two pairs of shoes in the EU. You'll feel better you got exactly what you wanted and have no regrets later. HappyinHeels

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

jeremy1986 , wish I saw this post sooner . The wedges would have been my vote . They look awesome ! I  think it goes without saying my opinion of boots . Next time please go with the wedges my friend . 

Oh , get the wedges soon !!!

You know about finding and using "gift cards".  I just got some for a favorite on line (shoe) store for 76% of face value. Take that and a 40% off sale and you can get BOTH pairs.

Shop like a pro, get those cards ready before the season starts.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cali said:

You know about finding and using "gift cards".  I just got some for a favorite on line (shoe) store for 76% of face value. Take that and a 40% off sale and you can get BOTH pairs.

Shop like a pro, get those cards ready before the season starts.

yes, though sometimes the sale is obtained by using a code they give you on the site, which means you cant use 2 codes for the same cart.

• 4 weeks later...

So patience pays (well, in this case at least...)

asos.com is having a big sale now, as many other stores, and these fab wedges I have been wanting have gone down to £10.50 - so I just grabbed them!!! So happy!! I just hope they don't mess the size like they did on those previous wedges I bought... twice (a '9' sticker stuck over the '8' on the sole)!

These are them: http://www.asos.com/asos/asos-traffic-jam-wide-fit-wedges/prd/7060437?CTARef=Saved Items Image

Also, tune into my other thread for some other updates! 

• Like 1

I just found out something with the Asus website, they totally mark up their prices for the American market.  I looked at the same pair of boots on the UK site vs the US site and even after the exchange rate, it's more expensive on the US site.

image.thumb.png.00f0d4db57639d8d4394307e0126e0ba.png

VS

image.thumb.png.92b08ee2b640cf937efd4848e3789c6a.png

Now $72 =/= £ 45 more like $60.  Tell me that makes sense... It's $12 cheaper for me to order them from the UK and have them shipped across the pond.  Not sure thats a good business model.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bootlover78 said:

Now $72 =/= £ 45 more like $60.  Tell me that makes sense... It's $12 cheaper for me to order them from the UK and have them shipped across the pond.  Not sure thats a good business model.

hmmm - good point. so just order from the UK side then, assuming it allows you to enter a US address?