To What Occasions Do You Wear What Type Of Heels?

freestyle75

Hi everyone,

while looking at the "Who has bought some new shoes" thread, I started wondering where you wear your heels, and whether it is always "appropriate" to the occasion (I am lacking a better way to phrase it). Let me give a few examples:

Baby stroller:

• While walking to the hair cutter in the town nearby, I noticed that all women that were pushing their baby strollers (was nice weather, noticed a few) were wearing flats, e.g. ballerinas or sneakers. It's a rural area here, so they don't want to look great, they just want something practical.
  • Compare that to St. Tropez: I saw one lady in her late 20s pushing a baby stroller along the Av. du Huit Mai 1945 (close to where all the big yachts are located) - she was wearing Louboutin ultra-high heel pumps (I would estimate to 14 - 16 cm without platform). I should have taken a photo - it seemed unreal. She was also dressed more like someone going to a dinner party than someone pushing a baby stroller around.
Grocery shopping:
  • Many of the women I see at our local supermarket are wearing flats, some are wearing low heeled boots/heels, but I haven't seen anyone wearing really high heels, especially not stilettos.
Work:
  • I've seen quite a few women at work wearing even quite high stilettos to work, of course often in muted colors (black, nude, grey, etc.)
Partying:
  • No question here, at clubs you often see the highest heels available.
For the average guy who wants to wear heels (especially the higher stiletto ones), this brings up the question whether to dress "appropriately", similar to women, or whether to just "don't care" and dress like you want to. Personally, I've got a few stiletto heels now (all quite high), but apart from partying, I honestly wouldn't know where to put them on - which is a shame in my opinion, but I also don't have a real solution to this. All dressed up, nowhere to go.

So... question to you guys: To what occasions do you wear what type of heels?

Well, if we obeyed the "rules" we certainly wouldn't be wearing high heels, period. My entire high heel collection consists of stiletto and spike heels. I would say skill level and endurance is a bigger factor than appropriateness.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I wear mine to the grocery store, shopping mall, formal events, funerals. I shouldn't include the last one, but I did. I just hurts too much to wear flats. I wear bootts mostly because pumps just slip off my heels, I have really skinny heels. I have a pair of 6" heel-less like wedge boots. I want to go grocery shopping with them. Just for attention.

I think that if you look good in your heels and wear them well, it doesn't really matter where you wear them, as long as you avoid dangerous risk zones (as mentioned in some previous topics, places with lots of masculinity, where you're more likely to get negative comments or even get in serious trouble with homophobic men that don't at all like to see a guy in heels)

I could walk on sunshine, but I chose heels instead.

If you came grocery shopping with me and MrsF I guarantee you would see 4" + stiletto heels. Wear what you want when you want and DON'T follow rules, break them.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

No rules for me one way or another, just follow the mood. Personally, don't really care what people "might say" anymore, but nothing too over the top either. For example, just got back from grocery shopping. Was out in somewhat girly flip flops (really hot in my area today) with my fuchsia toe nails showing. If felt like heels would've done that, but not today......

Thanks for all of your answers! *Sigh* I love you guys. What a shame that we don't live in one place - we would rock town! I might still be too "old fashioned" in my thinking. I always consider what would be appropriate in terms of what most women would wear in that place I am going to, so I never even considered wearing my stilettos to a grocery store. I've crossed a lot of boundaries already, but never reflected why I still follow this rule... then again, I am already breaking the social norm by wearing heels, so what's stopping me from wearing those that I feel like wearing that day? (e.g. to the grocery store...) I guess the next weeks I am going to do quite a couple of changes of what I wear where ;-)

I guess some people would find heels inappropriate in any situation (even worn by women) so we're breaking some boundaries whatever happens, we may as well just enjoy it. Like you say "what's stopping me?" but my own inhibitions.

I enjoy wearing my heels for grocery shopping but I tend to choose more casual styles (e.g. boots or plain courts with jeans). I also like to wear prettier heels to cafes and music concerts, even if I'm in the minority wearing heel makes me feel special and I like that. I especially love wearing heels when clothes/shoe-shopping.

If you like it, wear it.

I guess some people would find heels inappropriate in any situation (even worn by women) so we're breaking some boundaries whatever happens, we may as well just enjoy it. Like you say "what's stopping me?" but my own inhibitions.

I enjoy wearing my heels for grocery shopping but I tend to choose more casual styles (e.g. boots or plain courts with jeans). I also like to wear prettier heels to cafes and music concerts, even if I'm in the minority wearing heel makes me feel special and I like that. I especially love wearing heels when clothes/shoe-shopping.

sleekheels, you got it right on! Heels make me feel special too! They are just some I love to wear. What do your prettier heels look like? When I go to musicals, I wear skinny heel pumps and platform pumps and sometimes heeled boots under slacks. When I go clothes shopping or the grocery store, I wear skinny jeans with tall chunky heel boots over them. I think we pretty much have the same thing going on.

well, I wear my high heel boots (NOT RATED, brand) around my house cause me feet cant take a lot of walking going out in them. for THAT I have flat black pair & those are just like "knee high sneakers" to my feet. (both kinds of boots are black) :rocker:

I only wear boots in public, thicker heels usually. My stilettos are mainly for at home. My boots have been worn at my previous job (office). I wear heels more when I'm dressed in shirt and trousers.

I wear heels pretty much everywhere, even to church. Definitely to the grocery store, and often while pushing a baby stroller. Mostly I wear wooden heels that I wouldn't consider chunky, but more substantial than a stiletto. I have only two rules. 1) I have to be fairly presentable before I'll wear heels out. I won't wear heels with dirty jeans and a sweatshirt, for example. 2) I refuse to wear heels while riding a bicycle. Even the girls don't do that around here. You pretty much have to go to Asia to see that. Ain't gonna happen with me.

You have to remember woman can wear what they want, when they want and wherethey want to wear it. So for them, heels are not the same to them as they are to us. Some or most tend to be more practical, after all, some of the cloth/fabric shoes they wear are so ugly, why eslle would they wear them. They sure don't look Good.......with ANYTHING. Some woman have an image to keep up in their social group, so they dress to impress others. For me, like last night. The family went to a graduation party so I wore something that was considerate of my family. 2 inch shoes that look very masculine.

What do your prettier heels look like?

Usually nothing too dressy pumpcat, something smart that can be worn in an office and an evening out. With a more party style of heels I'll usually wear bootcut jeans for a smart-casual look.

If you like it, wear it.

sleekheels, you got it right on! Heels make me feel special too! They are just some I love to wear. What do your prettier heels look like? When I go to musicals, I wear skinny heel pumps and platform pumps and sometimes heeled boots under slacks. When I go clothes shopping or the grocery store, I wear skinny jeans with tall chunky heel boots over them. I think we pretty much have the same thing going on.

id like to see them

freestyle75,

Good question! Where I am going and what I'll be doing does play a part in what I wear on my feet but I've just as often worn what I wanted to wear that particular day;here's an example.

Back in early March when the "North American Heel Meet" was in Chicago the weather was cold but not overly so for that time of the year. I knew the hhp members there would be be wearing boots but I had already decided I'd wear my Jessica Simpson "Carlow" platform sandals which are about 5.8" (14.6cm) high and have a stiletto heel. I also wore bootcut jeans, an Outer Edge leather jacket, a dress watch, knit cap, and a carigan sweater top and carried a fringe-type handbag that night. Had a great time and so did the other members. We were in a restaurant on a Friday night in the alternative section of CHicago so we were "in-step" with our surroundings.

HappyinHeels

id like to see them

The black suede courts (or the boots in my avatar photo) are my usual everyday style with bootcut jeans.

post-12051-0-49527600-1370737712_thumb.j

The tbar heels with their patent scallop detailing are a bit more smart/dressy worn with a smart trouser-suit or skirt-suit.

post-12051-0-49970600-1370737786_thumb.j

The strappy sandals are the most "bling" and I'd be inclined to wear them with jeans to add some sparkle to a smart casual look. I also think they'd look great with a dress and a smart blazer but that'd have to be a special occasion.

post-12051-0-02460100-1370737976_thumb.j

The green suede boots are the dressiest boots I own, and I wore them with a green jumper, black skirt and fishnet tights to a concert. I probably felt more fabulous than I looked, though I did have one drunk lady say she loved me on the tube ride home!

post-12051-0-09991100-1370739306_thumb.j

My 2 censt : as you are a guy, isn't that alone enough to not follow the same rules as women, heels or not ?

Gudulitooo, on the one hand I totally agree, as guys in heels we're beyond the scope of any conventional "rules", but on the other hand I don't just wear heels to express my own fashion freedom, I also believe I'm expressing a desire for everyone to be free from these rules and the prejudice that accompanies them.

If you like it, wear it.

The black suede courts (or the boots in my avatar photo) are my usual everyday style with bootcut jeans.

post-12051-0-49527600-1370737712_thumb.j

The tbar heels with their patent scallop detailing are a bit more smart/dressy worn with a smart trouser-suit or skirt-suit.

post-12051-0-49970600-1370737786_thumb.j

The strappy sandals are the most "bling" and I'd be inclined to wear them with jeans to add some sparkle to a smart casual look. I also think they'd look great with a dress and a smart blazer but that'd have to be a special occasion.

post-12051-0-02460100-1370737976_thumb.j

The green suede boots are the dressiest boots I own, and I wore them with a green jumper, black skirt and fishnet tights to a concert. I probably felt more fabulous than I looked, though I did have one drunk lady say she loved me on the tube ride home!

post-12051-0-09991100-1370739306_thumb.j

Gudulitooo, on the one hand I totally agree, as guys in heels we're beyond the scope of any conventional "rules", but on the other hand I don't just wear heels to express my own fashion freedom, I also believe I'm expressing a desire for everyone to be free from these rules and the prejudice that accompanies them.

I'm not a skirt kind of fashionista, way too skinny, no curves. But you look amazing in the skirt and boots. I love the black pumps. What are they, 5" heels. That's my favorite heel shape, narrow, but not quite stiletto. Keep the pics coming, you make the clothes look so good.

Ashley.

Thanks for the kind words Ashley. I'm sure I feel far more fabulous than I look. While I'm happy feeling like I have curves, I really admire how you make the skinny style work so well for you. As for the black suede heels you're almost spot-on, they're more like 4½" (with a 1" platform) - I tend to prefer a more slender heel but I really like the shape of these slightly chunkier ones too. They're one of the few pairs that have won a compliment (from a female shopper in a mall), maybe because they come across as less intimidating than stiletto heels.

If you like it, wear it.

Hi,

Having been openly wearing heels for so long I would say practicality in relation to what I am actually going to be doing is the main factor when choosing what I wear. I love most heels, I wear them openly. I think we should just wear whatever shoes we want to.

Provided I am happy with my look then I am confident to do what I want.

I do not like to wear my higher heels with more masculine trousers because I don't like the shape and the silhouette, my feet look too small, the trouser length is mostly wrong... it frustrates me. What I did years ago was try a skirt, and I will never go back. I make no attempt to pass as a woman. An over the knee skirt with heels looks great on all legs. During the work day I'll usually limit to 4-5inch stilettos with a skirt suit (or dress & jacket style), straight after work/ weekends I'll wear low wedges with jeans etc, Evenings out I'll wear skirts or dresses, usually with very high stiletto heels. I have been known to wear mens attire out for an evening now and again... not much but it gets a good laugh when I do!

cheers

Heel-Lover

• 4 weeks later...

... My entire high heel collection consists of stiletto and spike heels.

You appear to be drawing a distinction between 'stiletto' and 'spike' heels, Shafted. Is there one? I have always considered the two to be synonymous, with 'spike' merely an alternative and less formal (albeit descriptive) qualifier. In the UK, one would rarely hear someone speak of 'spike' heels - along with 'pumps' (rather than 'courts') the usage is essentially considered to be US.

On a related point, it seems increasingly common to hear almost any shoe with a heel that is at least moderately high and less than thick loosely (and wrongly) described as a 'stiletto'. In my view, a stiletto must be 1cm across at most and with a proper shape (which is not too easy to describe).

Stiletto and spike? I usually consider my taller heels as stilettos and my shorter heels as spikes. Just my own personal distinction.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Here are the rules I go by : Wedges , general wear and go to heels . 3" to 4" wide stacked heel , jeans . 4 1/2" and above stiletto with or without platform , date night and clubbing. I only wear 2 2/4" cone heel with my boots in the winter . The style of the upper will change with my mood. Most of the time you will find me wearing a platform pump with an open toe.