Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I just had one of the nicest outings I have had for a long time. Today is a sunny bright hot (89F) day. I went out wearing a tan knit shirt, nude hose, white shorts, and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos.

First I went to the art museum. The parking lot was almost empty. I joked with one to folks at the front desk, “Where is everybody?”

She bubbled up a response, “I don’t know. You should call some folks and invite them over.”

I was a little surprised at the enthusiasm of her response but I headed on into the gallery and started sketching. Several folks came through but no one paid much attention. I did think I head a couple of giggles form an adjacent gallery but that happens. When I finished, I started out but decided to take a short tour through a couple of other galleries.

I ran into a group that was looking at a museum map and asked them if I could help find anything. They were lost so I told them what was in the galleries they were heading for and that it would get them to the main lobby. One of the ladies asked where the Mary Cassatt paintings were? I told where the gallery was them then offered to take them up to the gallery. I spent the next half hour giving a tour. It turned out the lady was from New York and visited the Met every week. Compared the Met, the Cincinnati museum is a broom closet but I was able to show her all the stuff she was interested in and we had a nice time. While we were walking the only comment she maid about my boots was, “I don’t see how you can walk in those heels... I can’t any more.” I let the comment go by.

After the museum, I went to Walgreen’s pharmacy and picked up an item I needed. I walked in like I owned the place and no one seemed to even notice what I was wearing.

Next I went to a Valvoline oil change station to get the oil changed in my car. (I can change my own oil but the filter is buried under the exhaust manifold and I’d rather let someone else mess with it.) I pulled in and got out of the car and the manager didn’t miss a beat. I told him what I wanted and he directed me to the waiting room. There were several other people there, but after a quick overlook no one seemed to be bothered. I sat there and watched them work on my car with my legs crossed (ankle on knee). The manager came in to tell the other folks their car was ready, then a few minutes later came in to get me. No one said a word or even reacted like I was wearing anything unusual.

After the oil change I stopped and pumped a tank of gas.

Next I went to my favorite thrift emporium. I wandered around looking at stuff and no one seemed to be bothered. One nice thing about wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels, you can look at any clothing items you want without surprising anyone. I found a bra and camisole I wanted to try. No one batted an eye.

I really felt like my boots were just another pair of shoes. I had a great time.

JeffB -

The blazer is unlined but I knew I would be outside too long today to wear it.

:thumbsup:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

....snip.... I did think I head a couple of giggles form an adjacent gallery but that happens...snip....

I love this. Nonchalant self confidence.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 3 weeks later...

I have often commented that it’s contrast that attracts attention. Most often I have been referencing color or shade combinations but I discovered there is more to it than that. Contrast may be as simple as being different from what people expect. Case in point: I went to Sam’s yesterday, and as I was pulling on my thigh boots with 5” stilettos, one of the zippers failed. I didn’t have the time or wherewithal to repair it so I went into the store wearing shorts, a grey T-shirt and guy shoes. I did my shopping and as I was leaving, the exit clerk, who knew me well, commented, “what, no heels today?”. We both got a laugh and I bid her a good day. Gotta get that zipper replaced. :thumbsup:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I think the best reaction is when you wear heels for so long, that when you wear any "guy" shoes, THEN you cause double-takes. Great stories, TBG! Keep 'em coming please! :thumbsup:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I just took my black boot to the cobbler to have the zipper repaired. The cobbler shop is in the middle of a shopping district that includes several banks and retail stores. I had to park several blocks away and walk to the shop. I was wearing a gray T-shirt, jeans, baseball cap, and royal blue leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels.

The streets were busy with vehicle traffic and the were also a lot of pedestrians. The summary is most folks noticed, but no one said a thing or even looked too shocked. The predominant reaction was mild surprise. In the shop, the cobbler was talking with another customer but he greeted me when I came in (I’m a regular customer). When he got to me I explained the problem and he said he thought he could repair the zipper rather than replace it. Guess I’ll find out this weekend.

I left the shop and walked back to the car. I did catch a reflection in a store window and those boots are striking. The only thing that would be more so would be my white pair.

Anyway, a short but fun outing.

Shockqueen -

Comments for not wearing boots with heels have happened to me before but I’m always surprised when it does. :thumbsup:

:smile:

ive worn my thighboots out 2-3 times in public, once was getting wet. last time i was out in them it was taking a walk in the park here I had a dress, lingere fishnets and my 6inch domina 3013 thighboots felt nice to walk by people and have no attention paid to me. felt really sexy too.

Digi –

WELCOME to the forum.

Sounds like you had quite an outing and with Domina 3013 boots no less. Those 6” heels look great.

You mentioned you were also wearing a dress and fishnet hose. I am surprised that no one paid any attention to you. No one may have said anything to you but I’ll bet they did take notice.

I have a couple of questions:

Were you trying to pass as female or just being a guy that enjoys dressing as he likes?

How well are you able to manage 6” heels? Can you straighten your knee when you walk?

Again welcome to the forum and thanks for the interesting post. I’m looking forward to reading more.

post-928-133522861608_thumb.jpeg

ive worn my thighboots out 2-3 times in public, once was getting wet.

last time i was out in them it was taking a walk in the park here I had a dress, lingere fishnets and my 6inch domina 3013 thighboots felt nice to walk by people and have no attention paid to me. felt really sexy too.

Now, that's very courageous. :thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Digi –

WELCOME to the forum.

Sounds like you had quite an outing and with Domina 3013 boots no less. Those 6” heels look great.

You mentioned you were also wearing a dress and fishnet hose. I am surprised that no one paid any attention to you. No one may have said anything to you but I’ll bet they did take notice.

I have a couple of questions:

Were you trying to pass as female or just being a guy that enjoys dressing as he likes?

How well are you able to manage 6” heels? Can you straighten your knee when you walk?

Again welcome to the forum and thanks for the interesting post. I’m looking forward to reading more.

little bit of both, clothing clothing footwear is footwear so i dont really care how im passing off to others besides the boots are damn comfy.

Thighbootguy was out again today. I ventured down to the cobblers shop to pick up my black boot that had a broken zipper. I went out wearing a black sleeveless turtleneck, blue sweat band, blue denim shorts, and blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos.

I had to park a block from the shop, which meant I had a nice downtown walk. There wasn’t much traffic and very few pedestrians. There wasn’t anyone else in the shop and the cobbler was just finishing my boot. We chatted about the job and as I was leaving I ask, “I wondered what your other customers though when I walked in wearing these?”

“Well, he asked if you were a dancer or something and I said I didn’t know but you come in all the time and always wear them.”

I said, “I just like to wear to wear them, that’s all”.

I bid him a good day and headed back to my car. Again, there was little traffic and few pedestrians. One older lady did give me a sour look as she walked past. I did catch a reflection of myself in a window and noticed again that those blue boots are striking.

Next, I headed for the Art Museum. The parking lot was starting to fill so there was a nice crowd. I walked across the parking area and into the Museum. Several cars went by and not a head turned as I walked by. In the Museum, I grabbed a stool, headed for a gallery, and went to work. I chatted with the guard and he mentioned a new exhibit. I picked up my stuff and headed in that general direction, stopping in another gallery for a while.

When I got to the new exhibit, which was a collection of stuff from the Museum’s archive, I found that sketching was not allowed so I walked through the exhibit and just enjoyed all the stuff on display. I walked for about 30 minutes in a busy exhibit and no one batted an eye. I knew one of the guards and he proceeded to tell me about some of the displays. I wonder what the other patrons thought about this guy in boots getting a private tour.

I then headed back across the parking lot and home.

A delightful outing.

Digi –

6” heels being “damn comfy”, I’m impressed. Best I can manage is 5½” and 5” is the limit to be comfortable.

Enjoy your heels.

"Next, I headed for the Art Museum. The parking lot was starting to fill so there was a nice crowd. I walked across the parking area and into the Museum. Several cars went by and not a head turned as I walked by. In the Museum, I grabbed a stool, headed for a gallery, and went to work. I chatted with the guard and he mentioned a new exhibit. I picked up my stuff and headed in that general direction, stopping in another gallery for a while. When I got to the new exhibit, which was a collection of stuff from the Museum’s archive, I found that sketching was not allowed so I walked through the exhibit and just enjoyed all the stuff on display. I walked for about 30 minutes in a busy exhibit and no one batted an eye. I knew one of the guards and he proceeded to tell me about some of the displays. I wonder what the other patrons thought about this guy in boots getting a private tour." (Thighbootguy) I wanted to let you know that even though I didn't have the best experience there, I am headed back to our art museum in two weeks (some new exhibits will be there) and I will let you know what happens.

Next, I headed for the Art Museum. The parking lot was starting to fill so there was a nice crowd. I walked across the parking area and into the Museum. Several cars went by and not a head turned as I walked by. In the Museum, I grabbed a stool, headed for a gallery, and went to work. I chatted with the guard and he mentioned a new exhibit. I picked up my stuff and headed in that general direction, stopping in another gallery for a while.

When I got to the new exhibit, which was a collection of stuff from the Museum’s archive, I found that sketching was not allowed so I walked through the exhibit and just enjoyed all the stuff on display. I walked for about 30 minutes in a busy exhibit and no one batted an eye. I knew one of the guards and he proceeded to tell me about some of the displays. I wonder what the other patrons thought about this guy in boots getting a private tour.

Given how often you frequent the museum, do you get a discount? Inquiring minds wanna know! Heh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well I let Thighbootguy out and about a couple of times today.

First I went to Sam’s Club for a few groceries. I wore a gray T-shirt, blue denim shorts, a blue sweat band, and my blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. Other than the fact it was warm (89F), and the sweat band was necessary, it did match my boots and, believe it or not, it really helped the overall look.

I really wanted to be out today so I took my time and went down all the isles, even though I only needed a few things. I did get a couple of glances, but nothing out of the ordinary. At the register I chatted with the clerk who knew me well. She gave me $20 cash back on my debit card and after she had closed her cash drawer I asked if she could make it 2 - 5s and a 10. She said she couldn’t open her cash drawer and directed me to the service desk. They couldn’t do it either and they directed me to the cashier control area where they could. What that meant was I got to wander around the store for a while longer. Since that was exactly what I wanted to do I wasn’t upset at all. Had I been in a hurry it would have been another matter.

Anyway, I dallied around loading my car in the parking lot then headed home and put the frozen food in the freezer and the rest of the stuff away.

I still felt like I wanted to be out and about so I grabbed my drawing stuff and headed for the Museum. I also changed the T-shirt for a sleeveless black turtleneck but kept the sweat band.

At the Museum, I knew most of the guards on duty and had a nice time chatting with them. One of the guards is relatively new (but he still knew me). He asked me if I had been up with my Monet. He told me he was coming out of retirement and was planning on being an artist agent. This guy was a 76 year old firecracker and he was looking for potential clients. He had me tagged as an artist (must have been the sketch book) so we talked for a good while (thigh boots and all) about the art world. I told him I made no claim at being an artist. I like to draw and paint but I’m not an artist.

A digression -

I consider a well written program a work of art. I had a hard time selling that idea to one of my art teachers several years ago but it lead into an interesting discussion (which I’ll not repeat here).

Anyway, I strolled around the Museum for a while longer and just enjoyed myself. I stopped at the front desk and reported that a display light was out and the folks there really appreciated the report. I suspect that I’m regarded as a harmless and sometimes helpful eccentric character that visits the Museum a lot and not much odder than the art students that come in all the time.

After the Museum I stopped at the thrift emporium and wandered around. I found a tan suede leather skirt for $3 that will match my tan suede jacket. As I’ve mentioned before, if your already wearing thigh boots with heels, no one thinks twice about your buying a leather skirt.

It took two outings but that satisfied my desire to be out and about... and I did have a great time.

JeffB -

They don’t give me a discount... they let me in for free! Just because they do that for everyone else is only incidental.

Your excursions to the art museum are interesting. I always enjoy reading of your visits. You must have a few sketch books filled by now. I wonder if the museum has ever or might consider an exposition of sketching books filled by local people like yourself, that enjoy sketching the paintings on display. Such an exhibit might be fun to leaf through and see how the "great works" are interpreted by other talents. Just an thought. :thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba136 –

That is an interesting idea but I don’t think it would work for a couple of reasons. An artist sketch book is not really stuff for public display. Most artists are very picky about only showing finished works because that is what their reputation is built upon. In my sketch books I have a few things that turned out well and a LOT of other stuff that didn’t. The analogy is a photographer only showing their good stuff. S/he may shoot several rolls of film and only produce one good picture.

There is an active arts community in Cincinnati that is divided into two parts; the artist that create stuff (including musicians, painters, sculptors,…) and the big money folks that govern things like the Symphony, the Public TV channel, and the Art Museum.

I also don’t think the “powers that be” at the museum would be interested in what the other part of the community was doing. :thumbsup: (That may be a little harsh and I might have read the situation all wrong.)

On the other hand, a few months ago there was an Arts appreciation event where everyone that went to the museum was given a sketch book and encouraged to do some sketching. I’m not sure if they displayed any of the sketches or not but I think that was the intention.

A digression -

I consider a well written program a work of art. I had a hard time selling that idea to one of my art teachers several years ago but it lead into an interesting discussion (which I’ll not repeat here).

Sounds interesting, and not unlike the sort of conversation I might have. If you ever change your mind about it, please write it up here? :smile:

Bubba136 –

That is an interesting idea but I don’t think it would work for a couple of reasons. An artist sketch book is not really stuff for public display. Most artists are very picky about only showing finished works because that is what their reputation is built upon. In my sketch books I have a few things that turned out well and a LOT of other stuff that didn’t. The analogy is a photographer only showing their good stuff. S/he may shoot several rolls of film and only produce one good picture.

As a further comment, I was quite surprised to find that Da Vinci did MANY sketches of the great paintings we are familiar with, often repeating the same detail over and over until it 'worked'.

As for photography ... I studied it for 18 months before I started to produce images worth keeping. I'm no Carlos-Clarke but equally, it's been a while since I did something foolish with a camera. :wink1:

TBG:

Great postings. Love the detail. :thumbsup:

Hmmm! TBG! I take your point. But, aren't museums for public display of things that interest "the people"? And, aren't most museums funded from public money -- either from taxes or public subscription? What better way would any museum have to guage their effectiveness other than to see how the common art lover appreciates their displays? Just a thought....I'll accept your explain and let the subject rest.

FF2 -

I wrote these papers a long time ago. Hope you enjoy them.

Bubba136 -

There isn't that much public funding for the Cincinnati Museum. A LOT of the money comes from foundations, local corporations and some very rich doners.

Kneeheighs –

You suggested I look at the clothing worn by Karl Lagerfeld and I said his look wasn’t one I wanted to emulate, however, he does design some stuff that is very pleasant to look at.

Sky High Boots

The descriptions of the fashions is way beyond my understanding or it may be all sales hype but viewing the images is a very pleasant experience.

disney.pdf

How to Write Better Programs2.pdf

Seeing anyone in thigh highs is always a fun site to see - seeing a man in thigh highs is even more exciting!! Haha When I wear mine, I get so many looks - but most of them come with smiles and compliments. People are pretty accepting, in my cases.

red_souled -

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us a bit more about your adventures wearing thigh boots?

What kind of boots?

Where you go when your wearing them?

What part of the USA you from? I'm interested in how wearing thigh boots is accepted in different parts of the country. I've worn mine in the Cincinnati, Columbus Ohio, and Washington DC areas without having an eyebrow raised.

Looking forward to additional posts.

Enjoy your boots.

:o

Postscript:

I just read your other posts. NY fashion industry and great boots out and about.

Again, Welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out and about a couple of times in the past few days.

Last night I stopped at Walgreen’s and Sam’s wearing a black sleeveless turtleneck, a black cloth mid calf skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. At first glance, this outfit does look more like a dress than a combination.

At Walgreen’s and Sam’s I left a video camera running in my car as I walked in and out of the store.

In Walgreen’s one guy turned and stared but everyone else was very nonchalant. O searched aroung for the stuff I wanted and headed for the register. There was a guy in a corrections officer uniform (including a sidearm) in line in front of me. He didn’t pay any attention to me at all. I knew the register clerk and she was cheerful and chatty as usual.

I headed on over to Sam’s and parked a good distance from the door so there would be something to shoot on the video. On the video I just walked down to the store and came back (carts is empty) because I didn’t want to leave the camera running for 30 minutes (with the car window open) while I was in the store.

In the store, most folks didn’t pay any attention but there were two guys that were walking together that commented to each other, “Yep, that what I thought I saw.” I was kind of in a hurry so I didn’t wander around as much as I normally do. The register clerk (who likes longer skirts) greeted me warmly. I told her I had almost worn something much shorted because it was so warm. She laughed and we bid each other a good evening. I headed back to the car and loaded all my stuff into it.

Today I went to Radio Shack wearing a gray T-shirt, denim shorts, and black thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The clerk asked if he could help so I told him what I was looking for. He took me over to the rack where they were displayed. At the register, when I signed the electronic signature pad, I commented that it almost looked like my signature. He replied that he usually draws a smiley face. The point is he was joking around with a guy wearing thigh boots like it was no big deal. We bid each other a good day and I headed to the Thrift Emporium that I frequent.

I wandered through the store but didn’t see anything I wanted. In the shoe department, a lady was with her husband and she was looking for shoes. I didn’t hear what he said to her but she replied in a loud voice, ”I can’t wear boots with stiletto heels.” I had just looked at the rack and knew that the only boots with stiletto heels that were in the store were the ones on my feet.

All in all a fun outing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5T45nKeUQc'>Thighbootguy Watering the Flowerbed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssGPUxrk4Dw'>Thighbootguy goes to Walgreen’s and Sam’s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5TSC0CNPMc'>Thighbootguy takes a walk in the park

TBG: Many thanks for posting those videos. Really cool! What really amazed me that no one broke into your car and stole your camera while you were shopping, something that, sadly would happen in my neck of the woods in a New York minute. Now, I don't want to criticize you for doing something I wouldn't have the balls to attempt (at least not right now), but from the Walgreen's and Sam's Club videos, I think you need to work on your walk and your posture. Regarding the former, you walked like a man would, shambling (can't think of a better word to use at present) a bit from side to side, distracting some from the image you sought to present, and you seemed hurried as you walked. Slow down, walk with a measured, fluid gate, take smaller steps too. As for your posture, it was clear from the Sam's Club video that you were almost hunched over the cart as you wheeled it to and from the store. Stand straight when you walk, proper posture goes a long way toward presenting a proper image. I know what I suggested might be a tad difficult to do in five inch heels, but it would be worth it to practice as much as you can. I'm positive that will produce elegant results. Please don't take my criticisms hard, what you did was great, but I think you can do better. In any event, more power to you in your future exploits!

JebbB -

I noticed The poor posture and plodding walking in that video. Part of it is tha cart and part of it was being in a hurry because of the camera. At Walgreen's I was able to close the car but at Sam's I had to leave the window of the car open so I was in a bit of a hurry (being concerned about the heat and security of the equipment.)

I'm not sure what pushed me into doing those videos, but creating them seems to have satisfied some need. I wish the urge had happened in more favorable weather conditions. The temperature was over 90F. The park video was shot in two sessions because I completely soaked the shirt I was wearing. The black turtleneck was also soaked but it didn’t show.

My most recent favorite look is the one in the Watering the Flowerbed; shorts, sleeveless turtleneck and thigh boots. This the exactly the outfit I have been wearing to the Museum.

Stilettoscot -

Thanks for the kind words.

Like JeffB I noticed you posture... When I'm shopping in 5 inch heels with a cart I have to fight the urge to hunch over and use the cart as a support. I know, it's really stupid as I'm comfortable in heels an do not need a steading support. Like JeffB says - you have to sort of forget about the cart stand and walk with shoulders back - a smaller stride - and a comfortable pace. I just sort of guide the cart with a couple fingers and with the cart very close in front of me, meaning even a shorter than possible step. I think that because you are taller in the heels, if you push the cart out in front of you, you will have to hunch over! I know TBG - when you are in the store you probably relax and all is good!

Tallguyinheels, I have taken JeffB’s sage advice and improved my posture on my most recent outing.

Great outing post

I really was only thinking about the camera running and not what I looked like (thinking more about the production than the acting). I was disappointed in how my walk looked. Live and learn.

I had to repost one of the videos so the URL has changed.

Thighbootguy watering the flowerbed

I just had a fine shopping experience that was all about wearing thigh boots.

I went shopping at Sam’s wearing a black long sleeved V neck top, denim shorts and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The is the same outfit I wore in the Thighbootguy watering the garden video except the top is long sleeved and V necked rather than a turtleneck. The shorts have a 1” inseam so they qualify as really short.

The shopping trip was without incident. I wandered throughout the store even though I only wanted two items. I made a point to keep my shoulders back, take smaller steps and to guide the cart with my fingertips rather than leaning into the cart. At the checkout I spotted one of the clerks I knew and who always gives me a wave when I walk past. I asked her, “Does this outfit work?”

She took a second look and said, “Yep, it works” and gave me a big smile. The register clerk (a guy) art the next register agreed with her.

Dawnhh -

The Airstream is mine but it's not road worthy. Maybe someday I'll get around to working on it.

Two new Thighbootguy videos

Thighbootguy making Beer Bread

Thighbootguy doing Front and Back Yardwork

Ah - the hazards of shooting a live video. In the yardwork video, a bee managed to sting my leg right at the top of my right boot. I was wearing long sleeves and gloves because weeds and I don’t get along but I wasn’t expecting the bee.

You will also notice a guy walking by while I’m starting the mower. He didn’t bat an eye. I didn’t notice him coming but after the mower started I couldn’t speak to him.

Two new Thighbootguy videos

Thighbootguy making Beer Bread

Thighbootguy doing Front and Back Yardwork

Ah - the hazards of shooting a live video. In the yardwork video, a bee managed to sting my leg right at the top of my right boot. I was wearing long sleeves and gloves because weeds and I don’t get along but I wasn’t expecting the bee.

Well, I'm sure that couldn't have been comfortable. While I haven't been stung by a bee in years and years, I remember how unpleasant the experience was. I could be suited up in armor from head to toe like Iron Man and I still wouldn't want to fool around anyplace where there's bees. Nosiree!