Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

Yesterday was another work in the yard day so I wore my black flat heeled thigh boots, tight jeans and a tee shirt. On the pratical side, when I work in the yard wearing shoes, I find that very small critters like to take a meal on my ankles. My boots seem to frustrate them so I don't want to venture into the yard without them even is thay are a little warm.

I needed mulch so I went to Lowes. I switched into my pull on thigh boots with 4" stilettos and walked into the outdoor garden center. By his attitude, the guy there didn't think too much of my choice of footware but he grudgingly answered my questions. I walked over the the checkout (long) line and paid for the mulch. I then had to walk back out to my car and drive it into the garden center to load it. I let the guy load 9 bags for me while I stood there in my boots.

While I was out I went to the pet store for some cat litter. I got a nice smile from one of the clerks and one of the patrons out in the parking lot but other than those, everyone else ignored me.

I also stopped at a Bigg's (not the one I normally go to) and walked around looking for some stuff. I got a couple of looks, but again, I was mostly ignored.

It is good to go out feeling comfortable.

A thought just occured to me. I have on several occasions seen young folks in Biggs wearing gothic and or punk outfits. I was not wearing my boots so I was just part of the crowd . How did I react to them? If memory served, I just ignored them. Although I'm not a fan of either style, I'm starting to appreciate the need for some feedback. I may offer polite comment next time (especially if I am wearing my boots).

Shafted -

DawnHH -

JeffB -

Thanks for the replies. If I do try the skirt again (and I might) I'll be sure to let you know.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Now that we're into September, and the weather is slowly starting to cool, I'm looking forward to taking my thigh high boots for a public spin as I'm dying to see the reactions of people when they see me in them as reading thighbootguy's adventures has emboldened me to do what he does. I'm sure there will be more than a few reactions covering the who spectrum, there's no escaping that likelihood, I'd be foolish to think otherwise, but that won't stop me from going on in them. It should make for an interesting experience. :wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

A thought just occured to me. I have on several occasions seen young folks in Biggs wearing gothic and or punk outfits. I was not wearing my boots so I was just part of the crowd . How did I react to them? If memory served, I just ignored them. Although I'm not a fan of either style, I'm starting to appreciate the need for some feedback. I may offer polite comment next time (especially if I am wearing my boots).

I nearly always compliment a bold fashion statement whether in boots or not.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thighbootguy:-) Another successful outing in your thigh boots. You relate your stories very well and that translates into some very interesting reading. The reader is able to picture in their mind's eye exactly what you are doing and how you are doing it. Cudos! Since you use your thigh boots a lot, you must be changing heel tips regularly. How many pairs of thigh boots do you have? JeffB:-) Once you receive your thigh boots and start street-heeling like Thighbootguy you will have some very interesting stories to relate to us all. I, for one, will be awaiting your stories. Hey guys! Don't forget the pics! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

DawnHH asked for a thigh boot inventory that included a service record.

About 15 years ago I bought a pair in Dallas Texas at a closeout store with a brand of “Back to School” They have 3” stiletto heels and were bright pink. These boots have an ankle zipper and the shaft is very snug. They are very soft leather and are still one of my favorite pair. I bought them home and had them dyed black and asked the cobbler about a western heel. I have had the heel tips replaced twice at different shops and each time asked about the western heel. This was long before I was comfortable wearing stiletto heels in public.

I also bought a pair of black over the knee boots with a ¾” western heel at the same close out store. I have had new heels on them and have just about worn them out.

I bought a pair of black thigh highs with a flat heel at Bakers in Cincinnati. I wore this pair on a trip to SanFrancisco. I have worn this pair out.

Next I bought a pair of black leather Tony style U crotch high boots with a 5” stiletto heel. There were not comfortable enough to wear out the heel tip. The Tony brand runs about a size small.

My next pair were Pleasers 8890 with a 4” stiletto heel. These are cow leather pull on boots. These have had the heel tips replaced twice and need it again. I also bought a pair of Pleaser 8826 flat heel thigh boots that I have reglued the sole on twice. I use these when working in the yard so they really take a beating.

Next were Ellie 8868 black leather boots with a 4” stiletto pull on boots. These boots get a lot of wear but I’ve only replaced the heel tips once.

The Ellie royal blue leather 8899 with a 5” stiletto were next. The first time out, the heel tip came off. I have only had the tips replace once.

The Ellie black leather Chap boots with a 6” stiletto were next. I had the heel cut down to 5 ½” and have had to glue the heel tip on because the cobbler did a poor job lowering the heel.

The black and white pair of Ellie 8899 leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels were next. I have replaces the heel tip on the black pair once. The white pair haven’t had enough miles yet.

The 8899 are becoming my penny boots because I have glued a penny under the toe to prevent my wearing a hole in the tow tip.

My last pair were another pair of Pleaser 8826 flat heel boots (I wore these when I met DawnHH) that still look new.

My granny boots need heel tips now.

I haven’t paid a lot of attention to the material of which the heel tips are made but some seem to wear a lot longer than others do. I haven’t used the same cobbler for most of the tip replacement because I have had several of them done while I was travelling.

Kneehighs -

Nice looking chap. The boots flair too much for me but they look comfortable. Looks like everyone else was ignoring him.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I have an interesting image for everyone. Imagine an Indiana corn farmer and his wife with a flatbed truck piled with sweet corn on the side of an intersection of two Indiana State routes. Lots of traffic going by and folks stopping to buy corn. Now add a guy in a dress shirt slacks and black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels talking to the farmer and his wife. That’s what I was into this morning. This is the farmer that will talk about corn all day (and not repeat himself). He is a really nice gent and really into corn. My boots didn’t phase him at all. His wife, however, asked me, “How do you walk in them”? “I think there quite comfortable” “Why do you wear them”? “I just like them”. “I used to wear heels before I was married, but now they would kill my feet”. “I have another pair with a 5” heel that I think are even more comfortable than these”. She just shook her head and said, “Well you have a good day”. I assured her I would. In the background her husband was still telling me about the corn I was buying. What a great start to the day.

TBG, Sounds like your Corn Farmer is as into his corn as we all are about heels :oops: Nice job though, maybe his wife will did around in her closet tonight and see if she can get him thinking about something other than corn :wink::lol: TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

If she was more than 50 years old, from an era where women were notorious for wearing shoes that were two sizes to small for their feet, I bet the reason she quit wearing heels was the "corns" on her toes. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

This is Friday and that is a relaxed dress day at work, which means I get to wear blue jeans. I went on my grocery shopping trip this morning in jeans, a long sleeved blue dress shirt, and my royal blue leather thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. This outfit looks nice.

In the grocery (Bigg’s) one guy did a double take but everyone else ignored me. Sometimes it bothers me when I know people have seen me and they make a conscious choice to avoid eye contact by looking either past me or looking the other way. Oh well, whatever their comfortable with. I was the only one in the checkout line and the clerk knew me from previous visits but I don’t think she thinks too much of my choice of footwear. Anyway, I asked her, “Are these blue ones going too far”?

She looked at my boots again and said, “I noticed you had a different color on today”, and gave me a nice grin. I still don’t think she approves but it was a nice smile.

My corn farmer wasn’t there this morning. I was looking forward to his wife’s comments on my 5” heels.

A note about Pleaser/Ellie 8899 thigh boots:

These boots have an ankle zipper and the shaft above the zipper fits my leg snugly and when I wear them over jeans they are snug enough that I can pull the lining loose when I pull them on. The lining on my blue boots has started to come loose at the top where it attaches to the boot. I recommend the following procedure for getting into these boots:

1. Roll the top of the boot down until the lining is visible.

2. Hold the boot and the lining between your thumbs and index fingers while you put your foot in and pull the boot up your leg.

3. Roll the boot top back up. When you are holding the lining, there isn’t any strain on the seam that attaches the lining to the boot.

By the way, you can roll the top only half way up and the boots look like knee length boots. Two styles for the price of one.

Thighbootguy wrote:

Sometimes it bothers me when I know people have seen me and they make a conscious choice to avoid eye contact by looking either past me or looking the other way

I don't really know how you expect to be treated. One, all of us that wear women's heels in public are crossing into an area considered devient and, if the current trend wasn't toward being politically correct, all of us would be a lot more hostile reactions that we get. While most of us go about our business with a normal, conservative styles and attidute, you, on the other hand have an "in your face" demeanor that not only turns people off but your insistance on openly soliciting opinions from others that would really not want to be trapped into offering an opinion, make them extremely uncomfortable.

But, that's the way you want to play the game. More power to you.

But, I wouldn't get to upset if no one said anything about your manner of dress.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

While we were down, I put together a couple of posts.

===========================================================================

Friday after work, I pulled by blue boots on again and started home. I really do like the look of the blue boots, blue jeans and the blue long sleeved shirt.

I went to Walgreen’s for some items. I have my boots cuffed down to below the knee length while I was driving and wore them into the store that way. I got a couple of looks but no one said anything. I had to ask several clerks for one item, but they treated me as any other customer. As I was checking out,

The register clerk (young female) said, ”You look like your having a good day”.

“I really am... how could you tell”?

“You just look happy”.

I thanked her for the complement and walked on out to the car and got a couple more looks.

I went on to Sam’s not because I needed anything; it was just that I just wanted to walk around some more. I wandered the store and tried on a leather ladies jacket with a zip front that looked great but I didn’t available funds to splurge. A couple of people did look at my boots as I walked passed them and then turned to stare (friendly stare) after I went passed. I knew they had done that because, thinking they might, I turned back and gave them a nice smile and got one back.

At the checkout was run by one of my favorite clerks. She is an older lady of color who was the first person I ever asked about me wearing boots in public. Her reply was “Don't bother me none”. Anyway, I said, ”Your going to have to get a pair of these”, indicating my boots. She said, “I just might have to. I can’t wear them here but when I’m not working I like to dress up and strut my stuff”. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

End of a great day.

===========================================================================

Let me continue with Saturday.

I spent the morning working in the yard wearing jeans a blue tee shirt and my black flat-heeled thigh boots. This really is a very practical outfit for yard work. Well, it came time to get more mulch so I went to Lowes again only this time I wore my blue leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I waited in the long line to pay for the mulch and when I got to the register I asked the girl running it, “Are these boots were too much for a guy to wear”?

“Hey, I’m loving them. They really look good”

I thanked her for the complement and went to my car and drove into the loading area. There was only one guy working there and there was a line of cars and trucks. I got out of my car and was standing around when the guy in the truck in front of me got out and started loading his truck. He was a local police officer in full uniform. Being 5” taller than he was, I was able to reach the top of the stack more easily so I helped him load until the clerk got there. As the guy was leaving he thanked me for helping (and not a word about my boots).

As I was pulling out I saw the girl that was running the register in the parking lot on break. She recognized me and gave me a smile. I stopped and said, “You can get these on the web”.

“Oh really, where”

“Howcool.com”

“Howcool.com, I’ll have to write that down. I’m really digging them. I could never walk in them”.

“They make several styles with a 4” heel”.

“I think I could walk in that. You walk in those very well. I really think their great”.

We bid each other a good day and I went on to Beige’s to get some soft drinks.

In the store I wandered around a bit then got my stuff and went to the checkout. I picked a long line just for fun.

When I got to the register, I was going to ask the clerk about my boots but I asked the lady behind me instead.

“These too much for a guy”?

“I don’t know... but I’d sure like to get a pair in yellow for me.”

I told her where I had gotten mine and suggested searching e-bay for “thigh boots”. She thanked me for the information and said, “They do look good”.

So far this has been a great day and I’m starting to think I should be working on a commission.

I went on to a music store for some guitar strings. It turned out the girl running the store was the grand daughter of my junior high school principal and the daughter of my 8th grade algebra teacher. I asked her about my boots and she thought they looked good.

What a fun day.

Bubba136-

Interesting observation. I never considered what I was doing as aggressive “in your face” activity and I certainly never felt like I trapped someone into anything. When I do solicit an opinion, I have sensed that the person might have one to offer. I’m not sure if the change in public attitude is political correctness or a more general acceptance of people that don’t fit into the “standard” mold (people that are “different” than ourselves).

I’ll keep your words in mind.

Thighbootguy, I never tire of reading your adventures. Keep em' coming.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thighbootguy:-) WOW!!! What can I say...talk about a maintenance list? You really do put a lot of miles on your thigh boots. Very enjoyable ones, at that. Great choice and a great activity. I really enjoyed your story about the corn farmer and his wife. Could that be listed as relating a "corny" story? TEE! HEE! I couldn't help myself. Seriousy...you do have a way of relating your stories very well in a clear and concise manner without getting bogged down in details. Exellent! Very enjoyable reading. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Thighbootguy: Like Dawn and I'm sure most of the members of this site, I look forward to your stories. Keep them coming. I'm beginning to understand your soliciting of opinions, not that I wear thigh boots outside. But when I wore my 4" pointy stilletto boots in the office for half an hour, when I was working late with my boss and a few other people on the floor I just had to ask him what he thought!

Thighbootguy wrote:

I never considered what I was doing as aggressive

Perhaps you are right. However, it appears from your descriptions of your meetings with people, thay you're going out of your way to call attention to yourself. I've always thought if someone goes out of their way to point out something unusual or "different" about themselves -- kinda like the wide receiver that boasts after catching a football, which is what he gets paid to do, by saying hey, look at me!!!!! See how good I am.......

But, like I said, if that's the way you want to play the game, more power to you. At any rate, I thoroughly enjoy reading of your interaction with people while wearing high heels.

This morning I wore my Posted Image

black leather Pleaser 8890 thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels with slacks and a long sleeved white shirt. This is the pair that I tightened the shaft by running a seam by the back of the boot. They now fit great and don’t fall down my leg and they feel great too. I really have to find a cobbler somewhere on my normal drive route because both of these boots really need heel tips.

I stopped at Biggs for some lunch time munchies. One of the clerks, that had seen me on other mornings, bid me, “Good Morning”. This was the first time he had spoken to me. The girl at the register also had a nice smile.

I did stop at the corn farmer’s stand and wound up helping he and his wife set up an awning. The three of us chatted for several minutes and they both made several glances at my boots. I was going to tell her that I was looking for them Friday when I had on a pair of 5” heels, but I didn’t. I asked when they would be there again and I will plan on wearing 5” heels then. By the way, I now know a lot about corn pollination and pest control.

Shafted-

DawnHH-

Thanks for the kind words.

Fogborkenvv-

You might give wearing thigh boots outside a try sometime. I really find it easier than wearing heels under my slacks/jeans. At least I don’t worry about somebody seeing what I’m wearing. Not trying to hide something reduces a lot of the stress that can be generated in a male wearing heels.

Bubba136-

Maybe I am boasting a little and part of wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels might be a little bit of “look at me”. I suspect most heel wearers (male and female) also suffer the same problem. One of the things about stiletto heels is that they are attractive, which means they attract attention.

I hadn’t thought about that before.

I have never had a concern about wearing thigh boots with flat heels but when I started wearing stiletto heels I did have concerns about the reaction I would get. It took some doing to get out of the car the first (second and third) time. After mastering walking in heels and not getting too many bad reactions, I confidence going out and about and, yes, I do enjoy the attention.

Yes, Bubba does have a point. There have been times where you've asked an indifferent person (usually female) what they think. This looks to me like an effort to assure yourself that they had noticed you! But hey, if that floats your boat good on yer!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Last night was a pizza night.

I went to a new grocery wearing a long sleeved white shirt, blue jeans, and my 8890 thigh boots with 4" stiletto heels. On a range of Neiman Marcus to the Dollar store, this store is on the Dollar store end and it was not in the best neighborhood. I was wary about going in. Only the manager seemed to notice and she gave me a rather hard look. The rest of the customers either didn’t notice (and this crew might have not noticed) or chose to ignore me. The folks in the parking lot noticed but didn’t say anything.

After leaving the store I walked across the parking lot to the pizza place. I had placed a carry out order and this shop didn’t have a dining room so I just stood in front of the counter and paid for the pizza. The counter was almost chest high so no one in the store even saw my boots.

All I know is that after I tightened the shaft on the 8890’s they feel great to wear. They are cow leather and very soft.

This morning I wore them on my normal shopping trip and stopped at the corn stand. Both stops were uneventful even though there were cars stopping at the corn stand while I was there.

-Dr.Shoe –

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I have asked more females what they think of a guy in thigh boots and heels than I have asked males. I don’t think it because I want to be sure they have noticed, rather females generally give me the impression they want to say something more then males do. Most males appear to wish they hadn’t seen me at all, as do some females, but often females look curiously at my boots. Besides, there are more females that can relate to wearing boots and heels than there are males (present audience excluded) so they more often have something to say.

I do enjoy getting positive (or neutral) comments. People seem to be tied in their own cocoons and won’t talk to anyone (been on an elevator lately?). By asking what someone thinks, I open the door on a conversation that I think the person might want to have. Out of several hundred people that see me, I might ask one and I would not intentionally put anyone in an uncomfortable situation.

Also, it also gives me something to write about. Consider how exciting pages of, “Wore my boots today… nobody noticed” would be.

Right now my boat is floating right along, if it starts sinking I’ll let everyone know.

I guess I have asked more females what they think of a guy in thigh boots and heels than I have asked males. I don’t think it because I want to be sure they have noticed, rather females generally give me the impression they want to say something more then males do. Most males appear to wish they hadn’t seen me at all, as do some females, but often females look curiously at my boots. Besides, there are more females that can relate to wearing boots and heels than there are males (present audience excluded) so they more often have something to say..

I think that's because women aren't restricted by social norms like men are when it comes to clothing and because women are more apt to judge your heels based on the merits of the clothing themselves, and not on learned socialized norms like men. As for my opinion, I'm glad you do what you do. You seem to present yourself with sophistication, poise and aplomb as opposed to presenting yourself like some clown looking for attention. Its my guess that the result of your conversation openers may just be to heighten peoples awareness to non-conventional male fashion. More power to you and best wishes.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Fogborkenvv-

You might give wearing thigh boots outside a try sometime. I really find it easier than wearing heels under my slacks/jeans. At least I don’t worry about somebody seeing what I’m wearing. Not trying to hide something reduces a lot of the stress that can be generated in a male wearing heels.

[

One day perhaps, I'm contemplating a step on the way which is to wear trousers tucked in to knee boots, I've got a pair of lace up ones tucked under my desk in work. I have left the office, fairly late on a couple of occasions wearing heels and walked down Victoria Street to the station. I had a good reaction to them from the staff in New Look, so much so that the next time I called in in male flats, they asked me where my nice shoes were. Another thing I want to try is busking in heels. Busking was my big confidence boosting - comfort zone stretching thing a few years ago. Combining that with heels would be a buzz, I don't know what it would do to the takings or my personal safety, being able to run with the money is one thing and looking after the fiddle is the other. It would be interesting to see where I came on my score of best to worst ever takings for an hour.

Forborkenvv:-) What comments or reactions did your boss and the other people at work have to your wearing your heeled boots later one day for half an hour? BTW:...I'm not familiar with the English term "Busking". Could you illusidate a bit on that for me? Thanks. Thighbootguy:-) I see nothing wrong in asking someone, once in a while, about your boots that you are wearing. This is one way of getting feed-back from people and you are only answering the questions that they might have in their minds. Sometimes you can tell by the look on a persons face that they have a question in their mind. And like you said...it keeps giving you material for your very interesting stories for us all to read. What you are doing seems to work for you...so keep on doing it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Hi to all, here my reflections about public wearing of high heels.... Principially there is no difference between genders. We all want to get attraction with our personal style. Conventionally girls do it by wearing stylish dresses, skirts and high heeled sabots, sandalettes or boots. Boys do it by wearing the newest hip hop style, baggy pants and Nike, Reebok or Adidas sneakers. We all do it because we want to get attraction. Why shouldn't we behave in the same manner? Naturally it's no problem to wear heels secretely in our apartment but it appears boring to me. I like heels in the same way like the girls do it. I like the click clack of my heels on the pavement. I like to get attraction. I like to discuss about it. And I like nearly every male heels fashion :wink: The essential difference between TBG and me is simply that I had never the guts to ask others frankly in a restaurant or a shopping center "What do you think about my boots?" :lol: I'm greatful for your courage, TBG :oops: micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Micha:-) I agree that TBG is different, but after meeting him, I find him very pleasant to talk to and a nice guy to boot. (Pun Intended). I haven't gotten anyways near TBG. I wear my heels completely hidden under long jeans all but a half to an inch and I never ask anyone if my boots are too much for a guy. But that is TBG, and what he does works for him. So be it. I applaud him for what he does as I certainly haven't gotten to the point where I can wear thighhigh heeled boots with shorts in public. More power to him and JeffB. and Shafted and anyone else with the moxey to do what they do. They are my heroes. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Aw shucks! I never thought I'd be anyone's hero.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

More power to him and JeffB. and Shafted and anyone else with the moxey to do what they do. They are my heroes.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Me? A hero? Aw shucks! I wouldn't go quite that far! Heh! I just try to do what comes naturally, what I enjoy doing. As for thighbootguy, I see nothing wrong in asking for feedback. How else is he to gauge the temperature of those around him when he's out and about in his boots? I don't know if I would go as far as he does, I'd simply be content to wear my heels and let the public form whatever opinions it wants, nothing more.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Don't get me wrong I think that TBG is probably doing more for the cause than the rest of us (except perhaps people like Xaphod and Heelfan) than anyone!

Someday, maybe many men will be wearing heels. Then everbody here who has gone heeling in public will be the unsung heroes. And if we're all still alive, we can tell people that we were doing it before it was widely accepted.