Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

Post #1 After reading for some time and finally getting the username/password registration straightened out, I'm able to post. I'd also like to express my gratitude to all those heeling, hidden or otherwise, in public. It is your stories and accounts of your experiences that have made me feel "right" about my heeling. For years I fought it and only finding forums like this have I been able to accept and in the end ENJOY wearing heels more. My wife is somewhat okay with wearing around the house, but I know she'd be a tough sell on wearing in public. How I know that is an entire story in itself, saved for another time and thread. The boots Thighbootguy showed us (Pleaser 8890) look just like a boot sold elsewhere, particularly DeMars. I recently bought a pair in black and found them very comfortable. These are my first lined boot and the puffiness that adds, with the way the boot is cut, I find very attractive. While reading this forum and waiting patiently for the ability to post, I decided one overcast morning to take a walk out of my comfort zone (home office) down the driveway and empty trash from my office and the kitchen. The fog was sufficient to obscure my neighbor's view, but clear enough for me to feel like I was "public". If I were a horse, you could say I threw a shoe because the left heel tip came loose on the way back from the dumpster. Damn. Newish boots and already need repair, but I suppose that might explain the price too, LOL. I called around my area talking to repair shops and not really getting anywhere. Once a few of them found out they were stilleto heels and for me, they became a bit cooler to the idea. What I wanted was to fix them, but also looking into having 4" stacked heels put on instead. Many of the shops said: "Sure, bring them in, we can put heel tips on for you", but none of them would bite on changing the heel. I called one local leather shop that advertises boot making and they told me the guy I need to talk to is Renick's Custom Boots in Riverside, California - not far from me. After talking to him, he agreed to take a look and asked that I bring in a sample of the heel style I wanted. I took along one of the boots I bought for my wife some time ago with a stacked 4" heel (she never wears them). It's a small shop full of mostly cowboy boots, which he is know for, and also period styles, like Civil War type boots. His cowboy boots are along the lines of what is or has been seen from Western Ranch, way undercut heel. I showed him my thighhighs and my wifes boot and said, "I want that heel on those boots". That statement began my education on footwear of which he seemed very familiar. He explained that to make that heel, he'd also need to replace the soles AND while he was at it, would need to remake my boots so they actually fit me. It was an interesting sort of stand off, me wanting 4" stacked heels (my all-time favorites - I miss Zodiac boots) and him wanting to make those boots into footwear that would be comfortable and fit, but with a heel I might not like. In essense, making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He pointed out that even if he were to retip my boots, they would continue to be a problem because of how they were made and what they were made of - plastic, covered in leather. His boots start at about $400.00 USD for a normal mid calf cowboy type boot - made to the wearers foot. He quoted me $200 to $300 to rework these. I thought hard about putting that kind of money into a pair of inexpensive boots, but two things made my decision. New, custom boots would not be ready until after the first of the year, he's that busy, and he could "repair" mine in about 3 to 4 weeks, fitting them in before some new orders. Second, I REALLY like these boot, they way they're cut, the lining, they feel great on my legs. Done. He takes an outline of both bare feet, then several measurements around the arch, heel, tendon... all over. He first makes a mold. It's my mold and from that, he can make any kind of footwear I want unless of course something changes drastically, like a broken ankle. He doesn't put a "size" to it, it's just my mold. Kinda cool! I have a mind to place an order for him to create an over-the-knees "Zodiac" style, 4" stacked heel boot for me, but want to see what he does with these first. At least I'll have them to wear while I wait... I'm doubly anxious (and a little apprehensive) to pick these boots up because it is my intention to wear them home with a stop or two along the way! Even though he seemed fine with the fact these boots were for me, I am a bit apprehensive about putting them on there at the shop because I know he's going to want to see how they fit. I normally just wear panyhose or nylons with my boots and shoes and a little nervous about that. I really am looking forward to taking them out for a spin though. This area is know to me, but not someplace I expect to run into anyone I know really well. Anticipation is a good thing, right? Sorry for droning on, I wanted to get across that I may have found someone that can help guys like me with footwear. The catch is, he only does in person fittings, he's not set up to do remote orders, though I mentioned this forum (in general) and that there were more men like me and that figuring out a way to get the proper measurements might bring him additional business. We'll see. Now, a question that has been raised but I want to ask it of the tall guys here. I'm 6'3", if I read correctly, Thighbootguy and Bubba136, at least, are about the same height. I wonder how being extra tall has effected your heeling? Did you find it more of a concern than being seen in high heels? Kind of a double jeopardy isn't it? In a week or two I'll let you all know how this turned out. I'll take a few shots of them as well. Hopefully, I'll also have an outing I can report on. My stock: Custom Shoe - (Canada) 5" stilleto black thigh boots - may be up for sale, nice boots, just can't seem to deal with 5". Tony's Shoes - black open lace front platform pumps - almost daily wear. Maya's Shoes - black "Baby Doll" arch strap patent leather pumps. New and braking in still. Maya's Shoes - black lace up Knee high kid leather platform boot. New and braking in still. Shoes USA - (Kris K) wood platform with ankle strap. Newly acquired also. Strap needs to be longer....why don't that know that??? Demars black leather 4" thigh boot. About to have a rebirth. All plats are 6", even the woods. A note on Maya's shoes; both rubber soles have come loose at the front and I'm going to have to reglue them. Their sizes seem to run a bit small too.

Now, a question that has been raised but I want to ask it of the tall guys here. I'm 6'3", if I read correctly, Thighbootguy and Bubba136, at least, are about the same height. I wonder how being extra tall has effected your heeling? Did you find it more of a concern than being seen in high heels? Kind of a double jeopardy isn't it?

Welcome aboard, heelme! Hope you enjoy the experience! To answer your question, I'm 6-2 in my bare feet and regularly four and five inch heels in public with no concerns whatsoever about how tall I am in such shoes. It's only a "double jeopardy" if you allow it to be. If you decide not to care if you stand out because of your height, then it won't be a problem. Simple as that. It all boils down to developing a mindset that you won't allow petty distractions to take away from the joy that comes fromw earing heels. I know it can be difficult to attain that mindset, but we here are all proof that it can be done. I'm sure that in time, you can do it as well.

:wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Welcome Heelme, Enjoy those stiletto heeled thighboots for what they are. It's actually fairly common to lose a heel tip, and it really doesn't have much to do with the quality of the shoe, but rather depends on the wearer. It's sometimes easy to make a mistake in stepping that can cause you to lose a heel tip.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I have been wearing my 8890’s all week and the heel tips REALLY need replacing. The grocery store where I shop has a well polished floor and I have had a heel kick out sideways a couple of times. So… today I took my 8890’s and my granny boots to a local cobbler for heel tips. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to do the work while I waited so I may not have those boots for a week. (My work schedule doesn’t let me to the shop while he is opened).

I also asked him to put a tap on the toe of the 8890’s. I explained to him that when I walked in them I tended to wear a hole in the leather of the toe tip. I told him about gluing a penny on the tip of my other boots. He recommended a nylon tap that has enough thickness to protect the toe tip. He didn’t seem too bothered by there being my boots. After all I was wearing a flat heeled pair of thigh boots and this is the same shop where I wore my royal blue boots with 5” stilettos a few weeks ago.

Kneehighs-

I have never before bin credited with aplomb.

Thanks for the kind words.

Fogborkenvv –

If your lace up knee boots are heeled, its only a little further to heeled thigh boots. I didn’t quite understand, did you wear these lace up boots to Victoria Station?

The idea of busking in heels is a real nervy endeavor. (Busking is being a street musician). I was not aware of the problem of having to run with your money. If that is a real problem, I don’t recommend heels. You might try a pair of flat heeled thigh boots. If personal safety is a real concern, don’t do it.

I still am careful about the places I go wearing my boots. I still fight becoming complacent about others reactions.

DawnHH-

Micha –

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Hero? Give me a break. I’m just a guy that like to wear thigh boots.

JeffB –

You may have the more sensible approach to heeling but I do enjoy a little feedback. Have your new boots arrived yet?

Shafted-

I’m already a relic. I currently spin yarns about doing data processing with punched cards. I’m not expecting my choice of footwear to become a male fashion in a time that I will still be around to look back on it.

Dr.Shoe -

I have always been one to adopt a cause but I didn’t intentionally adopt heeling. I just like to wear boots and the heels were a secondary thing (that I now really enjoy).

Hellme –

Welcome to the forum and what a great first post.

When I got my first pair of thigh boots with stiletto heels, I asked several cobblers about changing the heel style to a western heel and they all turned me down. After a long time of trying to hide those heels I finally decided to go ahead and wear stilettos. After I learned to walk in them, it has been fun ever since. Shafted has good advice, “Enjoy stiletto heeled thigh boots for what they are”.

Don’t worry about trying the boots on for the bootmaker, I’m sure he want to be sure the boots fit and to be proud of his work. I didn’t understand what else you wear with your boots but if it isn’t too far out for street wear go ahead and show off the craftsman’s work and wear them out of the shop. (I wear hose or trouser socks with jeans and a dress shirt).

I’m 6” without heels. References to being taller than that included the heel height.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I appreciate the warm welcome, comments and advice. @JeffB - You're advise is what I've been reading. I guess what I was trying to ask was, which was a tougher thing to get through, the high heel or the overall height of the wearer. It has been posts from you and many others that has given me the confidence to even consider being out while heeling. Thanks! @Shafted - You're right and I do and did enjoy those boots with a stilleto heel, but I have a stronger penchant for that stacked, thicker heel coupled with a full leather sole and the fupport that will bring. I think you're point of the wearer being the cause for tip loss is right on. I know my feet slip forward in those boots more than some others and I'll be the first to admit I am not the master of walking for extended periods in hgih heels. @Thighbootguy - Around my home office, I am usually in shorts. My intent for my first outing is to wear the boots under a pair of jeans. I'm surely not brave enough to wear them outside the pant leg yet. You're right, the shop was not concerned about who was wearing the boot when I brought them in, it's just some apprehension I'm having. A long time ago, before you could buy shoes and boots over the internet, I'd visit speacialty shops to try on and buy. Always had some type of nylons on and never heard negative comments. I don't know why I'm concerned about it now.

heelme: Thanks for the kind words. I do as best I can, not just for myself, but for others who would ask me for advice. To answer your question, I would say I was more concerned with heel height than overall height. I mean, I already know I'm going to stand out, so, having accepted that, I concerned myself more with what height I would feel most comfortable in while in a public setting. That level of comfort is different for everyone here, so you have to experiment until you discover what works best for you. But I'm glad to have read that I've been an inspiration to you. thighbootguy: Yes, the boots arrived, and they look awesome. After I give them some stretching (which I do with all new leather shoes and boots), I'll take some pics. Should be interesting.

Hi guys, Dawn - TBG has explained, busking is being a street musician. A few years ago as well as my day job I busked on the south bank of the Thames. I was in a bit of a financial crisis due to my recent divorce. I found it great fun and a stretching experience, I suppose just like wearing heels. It was the whole idea that I can do this, and do it well enough to come away after an hour with three times what I'd get from my day job. At the time it was very empowering. I'd love to busk in heels, but I'm worried that I could become a target. Regarding the boots I wore in the office, my boss - just become my ex-boss, things are always changing there. Dave was impressed, he said they were very snazzy, especially with the trousers I was wearing. Dave's a very stylish gay man, he went on to say he couln't wear anything higher than two inches. I haven't worn heels in front of anyone in work since. I'm going on a course on tuesday and am thinking of wearing a pair of 2 1/2" block heels. TBG, I'm afraid it wasn't the lace up boots I wore after work, I was a pair of 4" stiletto ankle boot. I am getting there, I'll do it one day. It takes a bit of organising. Mrs F isn't keen on me wearing heels locally, she's far too worried about the opinions of others, so I can't just walk out of the house wearing heels. TBG, I'm

Heelme:-) That sure was a great first post and welcome to the Forum. You have come to the right place. Settle in and enjoy. JeffB:-) I will be looking for the pics of your new boots when you are ready. You know me...I love looking at pics. Forborkenvv:-) I picked up on TBG's definition of "Busking". It sounds like you did very well at that activity. Maybe you should keep your hand in it once in a while. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

It’s Friday so it’s jeans day. I did my morning shopping wearing a blue denim shirt and jeans with my white thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels (like Micha has shown us). Walking in I got a sour look from an older guy who was leaving the store. Other than that there was very little reaction at all. The register clerk saw me coming and gave me a nice smile. I said, “I haven’t worn these for a while”, and again got a nice smile. I said, “Oh by the way, my complements to the cleaning crew, the floors here made me realize I needed heel tips”. She said that the crew they were using really did a good job. The reason I noticed that I needed heel tips was my heel kicked out three times while I was walking around. I hope to get to the cobbler shop today to get my black boots and granny boots that are getting new tips. If I get there before closing time, I’ll just trade him my white pair for the black pair and let him work on them. Forborkenvv- If busking in heels works out, try it in thigh boots, you may make a fortune. :wink:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Forborkenvv:-) Now there's an idea for you to make some money, busking in thighboots. Being a musician, the people may not even do a look as most of them probably are used to seeing that style of dress to go along with the music. Cheers--- Dawn HH

I was able to get to the cobbler before closing time and I picked up my black thigh boots with 4” heels (8890) and my granny boots both with new heel tips. While I was there I dropped off my white thigh boots for heel tips and top taps. The guy didn’t seem put off or surprised about me bringing in size 14 boots and saying that when I wear them I wear a hole in the toe. I was just another customer and we even shared a comment or two about a news program he was watching. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to change into my white boots before I went in and I had to carry them in. I will wear the black pair when I pick the white ones up.

What a pleasure new heel tips are to walk on. My 8890s really needed having the tips replaced. After I picked them up I wore them shopping. I went to a pet supplies store (for the second time) and the clerk remembered me and was much less put off about waiting on me. Seems like showing up twice says, “this is really how I dress and the first time wasn’t a fluke”.

I have mentioned that I tightened the shaft on these boots. They now feel great and stay up at their full length, which makes them, look great.

DawnHH –

I hadn’t thought that busking in thigh boots might not be noticed. I was thinking just the opposite, that it might be more of an attention getter and generate more income, but you may be right. There is only one way to find out, and my guitar skills are way to rusty for busking.

;)

DawnHH-

Not really. When I said, "There is only one way to find out, and my guitar skills are way to rusty for busking.", I should have added, "so maybe Forborkenvv will give it a try and let us know".

A local radio station periodically dreams up outrageous events then creates them either as radio drama (April Fools day Parade) or sometimes even as real events (Memorial Day fireworks). The station gives credit for these events to their “Committee for Esthetic Public Spectacle”. I think busking in thigh boots sounds like their work. ;)

The reason I noticed that I needed heel tips was my heel kicked out three times while I was walking around.

Hi TBG,

last week I was wearing my black Converse style heels in my supermarket (the ones from which I just posted a picture together with my new yellow stretch jeans). Curving self-confident around a shelf I heard suddenly a screaming noise. Me sliding on the the floor ... luckily I managed the situation and didn't fall on my ass. It would have been too embarassing :lol: A lady nearby was observing my misfortune. She was grinning a little bit. I hope with the sympathy of a lady who had also experienced a broken heel ;)

At home I inspected the heels. The bad quality plastic tips were almost completely ruined. It's really time to bring them to the cobbler.

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Close call there micha. Missteps are not too good for the self esteem, but at least you recovered your composure so it wasn't too big a blow.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Close call there micha. Missteps are not too good for the self esteem, but at least you recovered your composure so it wasn't too big a blow.

Shafted, I had almost forgotten this ocurrence if TBG hadn't written about his experience. But a belly landing on high heels could be a discourageing trauma for a long time ;)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

I went to the cobbler to pick up my white thigh boots. I had new heel tips and toe plates installed. I wore my black pull on thigh boots 3” stiletto heels. He didn’t bat an eye and the other customer in the shop was leaving and didn’t notice my heels.

When the pulled my white boots off the shelf he asked, “ Wasn’t I supposed to put toe plates on these”?

“Yeah you were”.

“I can put them on now if you have a minute”.

“Have you got time to do these also”, and indicated the boots I was wearing?

“Sure”.

I took my black boots off and gave them to him.

“This one needs a heel tip to, should I put them on”?

He started to work on my black boots and removed a stubborn heel tip.

“The heel tips of the white pair came off just by pulling them with my hand”.

“ They were from the factory”.

We went on talking about heel tips. I told him that I knew I needed to have the tips replaced when the heel kicked out on the waxed floor at the grocery and that the tips he put on the pair I picked up yesterday really made a difference. He commented about the tip just being rubber and not lasting too long since all the weight is on that small point.

As he gave me my black boots, I pulled them back on. We got to talking about how few cobbler shops were in the area. He said he receives work from southern Indiana, and Louisville Kentucky (both are a two-hour drive). We went on to talk about the machinery he had in the shop (from 1890) and the history of his shop.

Never once did he mention or question my wearing thigh boots with heels.

This guy has a new client.

Micha –

You’re right. Having a heel kick out can be embarrassing. The first time it happened to me was several years ago at an art museum in Cleveland Ohio. I wasn’t too confident in heels at the time and took a real miss step on a slick marble floor. I kept going but I was a little red faced and more self aware of my boots and heels. I have noticed that if I project an embarrassed image, people are more apt to take advantage of my embarrassment with their looks and comments.

Lesson – Learn to walk in heels with confidence and keep the shoes/boots in good repair.

Good to hear about your experience with the shoe maker. The most dangerous thing about having a heel kicking out on slippery floors is that it you could easily sprain or break your ankle. And, if it weren't embarassing enough to slip in front of a large crowd wearing heels, just think about having to limp out of the establishment, causing all kinds of curious looks and then explaining to a Doctor how it happened.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think my cobbler rather enjoys working on my boots. When you look at his to do shelves you don't see many womens shoes. It kind of caught him by surprise as he had to order supplies for working on womens shoes when I brought my Two Lips boots in to him.

In this time and age, women don't have their shoes "fixed" unless they happen to be a favorite pair that they just can't live without. Styles change so quickly, women almost never wear a pair out before they "aren't the in thing" anylonger. " Besides, any excuse is good enough to get a new outfit. Even changing the air in the car's tires, is a good excuse. :rofl:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think that any cobbler who's been in the business a while will have seen it all before.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Dr. Shoe! Not more than a week or so ago, I took my size 14 black Pleaser pumps to my local repair shop to have the heel tips replaced and he never batted an eye or raised an eyebrow at me or those gunboats, even though he probably guessed the shoes were mine. Yep, cobblers no doubt have seen just about everything.

;)

Thighbootguy:-) That was an interesting story about your conversation with the cobbler and his shop. Like it has been said...cobblers have seen everything and to this one...a sale is a sale no matter who wears the boots. He was willing to do some repairs while you waited. All in all I'd say that since that cobbler does good work and is friendly with conversation, he would be the one that I would take all of my work to in the future. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Today I went grocery shopping before work and again after work. I was wearing a long sleeved white shirt, black leather shorts with a 5” inseam (smooth cow leather, not suede) , and a pair of black pull-on leather thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. These boots do not have a tight shaft and tend to slide down my leg to about over the knee length or lower. The shorts are tight enough on my legs that there is little air circulation, which is why I haven’t worn them this summer. This is definitely a cool weather garment. I didn’t get real positive feedback. In the morning, I told the register clerk, who I have seen many times, “I really value your feedback” and got a smile that I read as “Yeah, right”. She didn’t say anything, but I got the impression that she didn’t appreciate my outfit. I also think I heard a wolf-whistle as I was walking across the parking lot. During evening shopping most people just ignored me. The lady at the dele counter seemed more uneasy waiting on me than I expected. The register clerk, who I have also seen before, was having a conversation about local schools with the customer in front of me and didn’t give me any more attention than she had to. As I was bagging my groceries, I joined the conversation. They both seemed to relax a little as we talked for a minute. I am not a very good fashion linguist, but the leather shorts may be saying something I didn’t understand or intend. I have done the same things in the same store (with the same boots) while wearing jeans or slacks and didn’t get the feedback I did today. I think I will give the outfit another try because I enjoy the feel of the air on my legs between the hem of the shorts and the top of the boots. I think the look will be improved if I wear my taller, tighter boots with 5” heels that stay up on my leg. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for relating another of your experiences, Thighbootguy, they're always enjoyable to read. After reading this one, I began to wonder about reactions to various outfits. You didn't receive much wearing the same boots with pants/jeans, but did wearing leather hotpants (does a 5 inch inseam qualify as a hotpant??). Love to see a photos of that arrangement. It would be an interesting experiment to see which garments bring responses, positive or negative. For instance, the shorts didn't work so well, as you related, but what if it was a skirt instead? My bet is a thighboot, even worn on the outside of jeans, is probably more "acceptable" to the average person than seeing a man in a skirt or hotpants wearing tennis shoes. I applaud you're confidence to get out and do what most of us here would like to, including me. I'm looking forward to reading how it went. By the way, what options did the cobbler have for heel tips? Is there one type that works best? I presume they use a glue of sorts for heel tip holes that are enlarged??