Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

Thighbootguy:-) As you know, both Mickey and I enjoy reading of your exploits in thighboots when out in public. You seem to have a knack to keeping things short and to the point and always interesting. Our interest never lags when it comes to your stories. Heelme has a good thought there...what do the cobblers do to make sure that the heel tip is once again tight in an enlarged hole.? I'm sure that they come across that problem from time to time. Have you ever had that problem with any of your stiletto heels? Being that I use a chunkier heel, I have never come across that problem on my heeled boots. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Thighbootguy:-)

That was an interesting story about your conversation with the cobbler and his shop. Like it has been said...cobblers have seen everything and to this one...a sale is a sale no matter who wears the boots. He was willing to do some repairs while you waited. All in all I'd say that since that cobbler does good work and is friendly with conversation, he would be the one that I would take all of my work to in the future.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Why do you think I recommend Achilles so highly?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I am not a very good fashion linguist, but the leather shorts may be saying something I didn’t understand or intend. I have done the same things in the same store (with the same boots) while wearing jeans or slacks and didn’t get the feedback I did today.

I think you'll find they were saying "I'm a complete weirdo!" ;)

Usually you wear some good understated clothes which contrast nicely with your boots but by wearing them you went over the top a bit and lost all your credibility.

In a Gay Club or in San Francisco you could have got away with it, but not in the supermarket.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Heelme -

DawnHH –

Again thanks for the kind words. The 5” inseam does not qualify as hot pants. The shorts come to just above mid thigh. As to the skirt, read all about it, and it continues here.

I have often worn denim shorts with an 1” inseam with normal shoes and I didn't get much reaction.

I think your right on about thigh boots worn over jeans being more acceptable than being worn with shorts or a skirt.

The cobbler didn’t offer a choice of heel tip materials. He measured the diameter of the hole and used a tip that fit snuggly.

I had a different cobbler shorten the heels of my chap boots and I think he put the same heel tips back on. The problem was the tip shaft was loose in the heel hole. I wound up putting a drop of glue on the tip shaft to keep the tips in place.

Dr.Shoe –

Thanks. I was afraid it was something like that. I’ll stay away from the leather in the future. To my eye it really didn’t look too extreme but as I said, I’m not a very good fashion linguist.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

some people take care with their dressing. Some people don't. And some people just wear things they like and say "be damned to those that don't like what I'm wearing." It appears you are one of the people in the third category. Personally, I think if I saw you approaching me dressed like that, I would have turned around and went the other way. In my opinion, wearing a outfit like the one you describe is in poor taste because you out there beaming like beacon, attracting and aching for attention -- Is it any wonder people kinda gave you the cold shoulder?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Thighbootguy:-) A very interesting eye-opening story on wearing the skirt. Like you said..."I may have to do more thinking on that combo". It may be like the story of the prisoners telling jokes in jail. To save time they all put numbers to the jokes...one prisoner yells out a number and everyone laughs. When the new prisoner trys the same thing...no one laughed. When he asked why...one prisoner replied..."Well, some people can tell a joke and some can't". Maybe...some can wear a skirt and some can't. Who knows? Cheers--- Dawn HH

Well, I for one admire him for appearing in public wearing his thighboots with 4 or 5" stiletto heels. The thighboots alone, attract enought attention. His adding to the mix shorts and slouch boots screem "extravert" and, appearing out of the "normal" mainstream of appropriate attire, even for a female to wear, kinda envokes "cool looks and unapproving gaping."

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Thanks. I was afraid it was something like that. I’ll stay away from the leather in the future. To my eye it really didn’t look too extreme but as I said, I’m not a very good fashion linguist.

It wasn't the fact that they were leather that was the problem as both Xaphod and I regularly wear leather jeans with thigh boots outside without too much trouble. I think that the fact that they were very tight and that they were shorts was the problem.

The phrase: "I'm the only gay in the village," comes to mind!

(Apologies to our US friends who have probably never seen "Little Britain" the funniest show since Monty Python)

I commend Thighbootguy also for wearing his thigh boots constantly in public and wearing them very well. His bill for heel repairs proves that he does this daily as he does preventative maintenance on them to keep them in tip-top condition. Cheers--- Dawn HH

This morning I went to downtown Covington city building to pay city taxes. I went in wearing blue jeans, a long sleeved dress shirt, and black leather pull-on thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. I had parked across the street and about a block away from the city building and didn’t attract too much attention walking to the building. I don’t think the clerk even noticed what I was wearing. I walked back to my car again without too much attention.

I also had to go to the bank again today ( see yesterdays adventure in granny boots). This time I decided to wear my thigh boots to the bank.

I waited in line for the bank to open then waited in the lobby for a teller. I got the same teller I had yesterday. When I was done I asked her, “Are these too much for downtown Covington”? I stepped back from the counter.

“I can’t see”. I stepped further back and turned my foot to show the heel.

“Nah, there fine. You’ll fit right in”.

This was not the response I was expecting. I may have to go to Covington more often.

I had to go to another bank to make a deposit for a friend. Again I waited in line in the lobby. All the tellers saw me and no one even batted an eye. Maybe I will fit right in.

I did feel more comfortable wearing my thigh boots than my granny boots under my slacks. I’ve just never enjoyed the game of wearing boots or heels and trying to hide them.

On my way to work, I did my morning grocery shopping. When I walked in, one of the female stock clerks, who I had seen before, glanced at my boots and bid me a cheery good morning and the register clerk was all smiles.

What a great way to start a day.

Bubba136 –

Ouch. But thanks for the honest comments.

Dr..Shoe -

I may have given the wrong description of those leather shorts. Let me have another go at it. They are black smooth cow leather and have a 5” inseam. The shorts are tight around my thigh but there is plenty of room to put my hands in the pockets and carry a wallet. There aren’t any unseemly bumps or bulges showing. They aren’t “very tight” shorts and they definitely are not hot-pants.

I have another pair of suede shorts that are very loose to the extent of almost being baggy that I have worn with thigh boots. They have at least a 7” inseam and come all the way down to the top of my thigh boots. When I wore them I again may have pushed things too far ( see White Boots).

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It really helps.

Added note: Guy is not my lifestyle. I have no problem with that community, but I am not a member.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

@Dr. Shoe - I have seen two episodes of Little Britain on the BBC satellite channel, it's hilarious, though to me, Mony Python will never be out done. @ Thighbootguy - Another fine adventure! Thanks! I think the criticism tbg has received is good. That he takes it the way he does, with the intended meaning of helpfulness is excellent. It's what a forum like this is all about. What good would it be if all anyone every did was placate their fellow heelers? I also think TBG is an adventerous soul and looks to test the limits and that's good too. How else do we learn? He's stated before that maybe that particular outfit didn't do so well, but the important thing is, he keeps trying different things. Hell, I'm keeping notes on some of his ensembles for when I get the cajones to try what he and several others do daily.

Leather shorts? Wow! I never knew such things existed! Proof positive that I need to get out more! ;) Thighbootguy, I'm sure the combination of those shorts plus your thigh boots must have made for quite an interesting combination. Still, at the same time, you'll never know how people will react to a certain something until you expose it to them. It can be educational to learn when something doesn't work out just right, because you then apply the knowledge you gained from the experience and see to avoiding such mistakes in the future. TBG's always adventurous spirit is an inpiration, and an education to us all! :lol:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Today has been a weed digging day. I worked in the yard in my flat-heeled thigh boots. Later I went to a pet food store and wore my black leather pull-on thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. I have been there several times before and no one even batted an eye. Then I went to a new grocery store still wearing my 4” heels. The register clerk said, “I’ve never seen anyone wearing those before” which I took as not negative but not a ringing endorsement.

On the way out of the grocery, an older lady gave me a sour look that would have curdled milk. That I took as disapproval but you can’t please everyone.

Friday I went to the local Goodwill (thrift shop) and found these on the pants rack.

Posted Image

The price was $6 but it was a 50% off clothing sale so I bought them for $3. The fit is tight but with no unseemly bulges. There is no waistband or pockets and the split at the ankle will show off any heel I have on. I haven’t figured out how I’m going to wear them, but I think the granny boots will work well.

This is a cool weather garment so I have some time to figure it out. I did try them under my black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos and they looked good but it didn’t show off the slit on the ankle (since it was inside the boots).

When I wear my black boots with jeans, there is a minimal color contrast between the blue and black and the jeans terminate with a waste band and belt. The eye is attracted to contrast so dark blue and black dont attract as much attention as say my white boots might. These pants with the black boots have a great color contrast and the color of the pants is a lot closer to my flesh color then the blue jeans. It really is a daring look. Any suggestions (positive or negative) are welcome.

Heelme –

dawnHH -

JeffB -

Tightlevisandhhboots –

Thanks for the kind words.

Try not to confuse “adventurous spirit” with doing something stupid and lack of good sense. I have been known to go off the deep end and it’s nice to have a community that is willing to help pull me back.

Hi Thighbootguy, I too have noticed the most negative reactions with older ladies, and gotten that sour look. The later generations however seem much more accepting. I find the older generation much more judgemental, my parents are a classic example. Like those pants you found, they'd be perfect for showing off an ankle boot with an eye catching design. I too have looked for something with slitted legs with no luck to show off my Dragon boots. I have to admit, I thought you'd gone off the deep end a few times. I think you'll find the best acceptance in thigh boots so long as you remain more conservative in the rest of your wardrobe. I really don't think that the public views wearing womens footwear as crossdressing, but if you go too fem you must be prepared for repercussions. Buy hey, someone has to try it for the benifit of us all. Thanks!

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Try not to confuse “adventurous spirit” with doing something stupid and lack of good sense. I have been known to go off the deep end and it’s nice to have a community that is willing to help pull me back.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your adventures and have, with the encouragement of several members here, went out in my 3 1/2" block heel boots once.... Your adventourous spirit or lack of caring what others think is good, in my opinion.

However... I am somewhat conservative in many views. I like leather - a lot. It feels nice, it looks nice, it's very sensual. If more people weren't so uptight it would be a "fabric" of choice. But, I realize that not everyone is of the same mind. You seem to have that sorted out so you're comfortable with the solution. You also push the envelope very regularly, not for what you would consider risque, but definitely for others. This is a mind game thing though. For every region the game is different; what you can get away with there, we can't necessarily get away with. It's frustrating, really.

I can say without question that not only have I not seen anyone walking around in thigh high boots with 5" heel, I don't think I've seen anyone (either sex) walking around in leather shorts. The combination is really, in my opinion, pushing it. Not that that's bad because most people really are quite uptight, but that it's something you need to be aware of. Whether it's stupid or not is really for you to decide. Personally I think it may have been too much all at the same time. You really do seem to have a look that works and makes people comfortable with guys in heels, and if you kept that going, you'd do more for the cause than pushing people to their limits each time. In other words, while you may not get the reaction you're looking for each time out, you'd certainly get the desired effect (in spades) - people not caring about whether a guy's in heels. And your reporting back here makes for encourging reading. It's one of the strongest reasons why I even tried.

And at the end of the day, I wish I had half the balls you do to walk out of the house in as comfortable clothing as you do. Hats off.

Friday I went to the local Goodwill (thrift shop) and found these on the pants rack.

Posted Image

The price was $6 but it was a 50% off clothing sale so I bought them for $3. The fit is tight but with no unseemly bulges. There is no waistband or pockets and the split at the ankle will show off any heel I have on. I haven’t figured out how I’m going to wear them, but I think the granny boots will work well.

A most interesting style, TBG! Most interesting indeed. I would think that that a black top (say, a turtleneck) and black boots would work well with those pants. The contrast would be most elegant. The ankle slit is really neat and would show off your footwear quite well.

I wouldn't call that "going off the deep end". You were mereley pushing the envelope. Nothing wrong with taking a chance every now and then, that's how we learn, from our mistakes. You've discovered that your previous adventure was something of a failure, so you'll know not to repeat that error in the future. Simple as that.

;)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

This morning I had to go the bank again and I stood in the line waiting for the bank to open (again). I was wearing slacks, a dress white shirt and my black leather pull-on thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. There were three other people in line. The last guy said, “I really like your boots”. “Thanks” “A couple of hundred”? “Nah, about $60 on the web”. An older lady at the front of the line said,”I’ve never seen boots like those for a guy”. The last guy said, “There’s stranger things than that out there”. Two more people joined the line and noticed my boots but didn’t say anything. About then the manager opened the door. He noticed too but didn’t say anything. I got a different teller than my last two times at the bank. She saw my boots as I walked up to the counter. She didn’t mention them but asked me if I had had a good weekend and was very pleasant during the transaction. Maybe I do fit right in. At my morning grocery stop, the gal in produce (who had spoken to me before) gave me a big smile and bid me good morning. From this mornings discussion I learned that the bananas on the outside of the bunch are riper than the ones on the inside. heelsRus – Your absolutely right, it’s a mind game. You have to try going out again. Most people really don’t care what you have on your feet. JeffB- A black turtle neck sounds good as soon as it cools off a little more.

Thighbootguy:-) A very interesting story of your trip to the bank this morning. It appears that everyone in line had favorable comments on your boots. That's great and like you said...maybe you are fitting in. Doesn't that make you feel good? It appears that the public attitudes are slowly changing as they see more guys wearing heels, or the same guy wearing heels more times. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Last night I went shopping at Biggs and Meijers without anything notable except a nice smile from a girl collecting carts in the lot.

This morning I had to get a new drivers license. They are issued at the Kenton County court house in Covington. Since I had to have a picture taken, I wore my best blue dress shirt, slacks and black leather pull-on thigh with 4” stiletto heels.

Rather than parking in the garage, I parked on the street several blocks away and walked to the court house. This is not the best neighborhood. I walked past the main county building, which also houses the jail and part of the “night life” bar district. There were police, lawyers, people that needed the lawyers, as well as county office workers all over the place and one guy strolling along in high heeled thigh boots.

I gave a smile and a polite nod to folks that noticed my boots and didn’t look like they wanted to pretend I wasn’t there. A lady was coming across the street and saw me and said, “I don’t know how you walk in those”, and she kept on going.

She went into the same Court house I was going into and I caught up with her at the security checkpoint. I emptied my pockets and went thought the metal detector, and yes, the security guards noticed my boots but didn’t say a thing. As we were picking up our stuff I said, “It’s just a matter of getting used to them”.

I asked the security guard where the drivers license office was and headed for the elevator and the same lady was there and going to the same floor. She said something like, “I’m glad I don’t have to wear those”.

I replied, “For me, wearing them is a matter of choice”. We got off the elevator and went in different directions.

The clerk in the drivers license office was behind a high counter and never saw my boots.

As I left the court house there were lots more people coming in but I guess they had their own problems since, for the most part, they ignored me. Outside, the same lady was about 15 feet in front of me. She turned to talk to someone and saw me and I said, “Honest to God, your not being followed”.

She laughed and said, “Well, at least I could describe the boots”, and she waited for me to catch up. She said, “When I wore heels it felt funny to put trainers on”.

“There are really quite comfortable”.

“Really, and you just walk around in them”?

“This is the first time I’ve been downtown with them and I wasn’t sure how it would go”.

“You know, back when I was dancing, I was wearing heels all the time”.

“I have another pair with a 5” heel that is even more comfortable”

“Really”!

“Yeah, the geometry of the boot really works, they feel great”.

We came to the corner where I first saw her and she said, “Well I have to go see my P O (parole officer), I’ve been naughty”, and she headed across the street.

While I was downtown I went banking again (this was not the bank I went to yesterday). As I walked across the lobby, both clerks saw me and gave me a bright smile. When I finished my transaction, I asked the clerk, “Are these too much for downtown Covington”?

She didn’t even pause and replied, “Nope, not at all” and gave me a smile.

Wow … what a morning. This fitting in thing might be fun.

As I was driving to work I had the radio tuned to a station I don’t normally listen to and John Hartford was singing:

What's the difference being different

When it's difference now that looks alike,

You say I'm changing... I'm not sure that's wrong

Today it may be natural, sitting here discussing it

Tomorrow just as natural to be gone.

Thighbootguy:-) I know that I say this all of the time, but this really WAS an interesting story. It sounds like you may have pushed the envelope a bit with the neighborhood and the activity you participated in, but it really does seem like you ARE fitting in. Cudos, my friend and keep rolling along on those heels. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Thighbootguy, Just goes to show you that the unsolicited comments are the ones that mean the most. BTW: I wonder what she did that was so naughty?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thighbootguy,

Just goes to show you that the unsolicited comments are the ones that mean the most.

BTW: I wonder what she did that was so naughty?

Yeah, you should have struck up a proper conversation instead of going on about your boots. You never know, you might have got somewhere! ;)