Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I did a little shopping after work this evening. The last time I was at my favorite thrift emporium I picked up a sleeveless satin top that is conservatively cut at the neck. I wore this top as an undershirt when I dressed for work this morning. I went to work wearing a long sleeved dress shirt, dark navy hose, slacks and black fabric knee high boots with 3” block heels.

After work I took off the dress shirt and changed the slacks for a short denim skirt so I went shopping in a white sleeveless satin top, denim shirt, dark navy hose and black knee high boots. This look was pushing it a bit for me, not because I was wearing a top and skirt, but because I was not wearing my thigh boots with 5” stilettos. Part of my view of the world is that I can get away with wearing anything with thigh boots but I’m more aware of my appearance with knee high boots and going out in pumps is something I’m still not comfortable doing at all. Go figure.

Anyway, I walked into Sam’s and one customer (black female late 40s) burst out with, ”What the hell is that?” It occurred to me to ask her what she meant but I didn’t and just went on with my shopping. Other than that comment, shopping was uneventful. I did ask the register clerk (white mid 50s) if I was pushing things a little too far, and she said she thought I was. I thanked her and headed out to my car.

I thought I’d push my luck a little further and stopped in a nearby Goodwill where they know me well. I shopped around a bit and found a very nice black skort for 99¢. I asked the register clerk (white mid 40s) the same thing but she said I hadn’t pushed the look too far and the lady in line behind me (black mid 20s) offered that I should push things as far as I liked to.

Ok, so why was I wearing knee high boots? I had a set of metal heel tips on my thigh boots and, on Sunday, one of them broke off, leaving the pin stuck in the heel. Rather than making the mess worst, I decided to not wear them until my cobbler get things straightened out. :)

If anyone has any ideas on how to get that steel pin out of the heel (other than pushing it on up into the hollow heel [i checked the heel on the other boot and it is hollow]) I’d sure like to hear them.

:wave:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Yep, I would echo that comment, too. One of the wise people on this board advised us to look in the mirror before we go out, and if we're happy with the image we see, then go out in confidence and enjoy our day. That's good advice, don't you think, Thighbootguy? Steve

I think I started the "Look in the mirror and if you like what you see, go for it" concept on this board several years ago. It's good to see the advice come full circle, and the point is well taken. The outfit looked good in the mirror but when I was outside wearing it it seemed like it was a bit much.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

A little while ago I mentioned that I had broken off a heel tip so the metal shaft was stuck in the heel and that I was going to let my cobbler take care of it. He took one look at it and handed the boots back to me and said he couldn’t get it out. I grumbled a bit then brought the boots back home and drilled the stuck piece of metal out with a drill press. Which leads me up to today. After work, I needed to some shopping (I literally had starving kitties at home because I had, that morning, run out of cat food). I stopped in a GoodWill near work and found a 21" denim shirt with a olive drab green belt for $1.50. I must have lost some weight because it is a size 10 and it fits very nicely. Anyway, I replaced my jeans with this skirt and my knee high blue boots with 2" block heels, that I had worn to work, with a pair of black leather pull on thigh boots with 4" stilettos heels and started the drive home. I was also wearing a blue knit short sleeved shirt so it looked very nice with the denim skirt. The top of my boots came just below the hem of the skirt so it not quite as daring a look as the 17" skirt I have been wearing. I stopped at PetsMart and got the cat food then on to Sam's for cat litter (50 lb. bag) and a few other things, all without incident. This outfit felt (although warm) very natural. The register clerk at Sam's was new and had never seen me before but she managed to do her job without getting too flustered, but it was clear she wasn’t too sure how to react. After Sam's I stopped in the cobblers shop, wearing boots and my new skirt, with my boots that needed the heel tips. He was surprised that I had managed to get the pin out (but not by my appearance) and asked me how I had done it. He said he just couldn’t afford to get that kind of machinery in his shop. He also pointed out that it looks like one of the heels has a crack that can be seen through the leather covering. It may be time for a new pair of boots. :wave::)

I just recently took a pair of high heels to have the heel caps replaced. When I went in to pick them up, the repairman handed them to me and said "your wife should be happy with these." I said, "they look great and you did an excellent job. But they're not my wife's, they're mine." He said OK,smiled,I thanked him again and left.

Sorry to hear about your boots. But this does give you an excuse and chance to buy another pair. Thanks again for another great post.

... I grumbled a bit then brought the boots back home and drilled the stuck piece of metal out with a drill press. ...

After Sam's I stopped in the cobblers shop, wearing boots and my new skirt, with my boots that needed the heel tips. He was surprised that I had managed to get the pin out (but not by my appearance) and asked me how I had done it. He said he just couldn’t afford to get that kind of machinery in his shop. ...

I understand how you did the drilling, Tbg, but I imagine that it was not too easy to hold a thighboot in position with sufficient firmness under the drill without either damaging the boot or the drill bit wandering. How did you clamp it?

Your cobbler's comments surprised me. Given the fairly sophisticated and expensive machinery most of them seem to use, a simple drill press would be chicken-feed. I have two at home; nothing special but perfectly capable of doing this type of work and more - and neither cost me more than £60 (say $100).

I had a fun weekend. Saturday I got out my bicycle for the first time this season and headed to a local park. I went riding on a 90F day wearing a gray T-shirt, spandex biker shorts, 14" denim skirt, and black suede ankle boots with 2" block heels. I don't think anyone noticed me at all.

Sunday I went out for another short ride with the same outfit except I wore a 21" denim skirt. Again, I don’t think anyone noticed or at least paid any attention.

Later Sunday I headed to WallMart wearing the same outfit, including the 21" denim skirt but changed the ankle boots to black leather pull on thigh boots with 4" stiletto heels. It was too warm to do much outside wearing my boots but in the air-conditioned store it was comfortable. I got a few glances but nothing unexpected. It seems the folks that were there didn't care if they were shopping with a guy in a skirt and boots.

Again, I do take comfort, when wearing a skirt, in also wearing thigh boots. It really seems that wearing footwear so out of the ordinary gives me license to wear whatever else I want to wear.

Puffer -

I didn't clamp it, rather I positioned the heel of the boot over two V blocks, which kept it from moving around, and gently applied drilling pressure with one hand while holding the heel vertical with the other. A counter sink made enough of a dent to leep the drill centered when it started. After that, there was no sideways movement of the heel tip because the drill kept it in place. All I had to do was keep it vertical. It turned out that the pin was of very soft metal which is probably why it broke in the first place.

The cobbler said that even a $100 drill press would not pay for itself. Apparently he dosen't get too many jobs where a drill press would be useful, and he das a small shop so space is at a premium. I think the last time he tried to drill out a heel tip he used a hand drill made made a mess of it so maybe it is better that he dosen't keep trying.

The cobbler said that even a $100 drill press would not pay for itself. Apparently he dosen't get too many jobs where a drill press would be useful, and he das a small shop so space is at a premium. I think the last time he tried to drill out a heel tip he used a hand drill made made a mess of it so maybe it is better that he dosen't keep trying.

Not much, but just a suggestion. Perhaps you might let the cobbler know that the next time he has such a commission as the one you handled so so efficiently, he should give you a call and perhaps you might handle the repair for him. :wave:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba136 – Thanks for the vote of confidence but there are many things at work (IT) as in life that are S.E P.s (Somebody Else’s Problem). I got lucky working on my very tired pair of thigh boots that has a heel that’s ready to break anyway but it would be my luck to drill out the side of somebody else’s expensive heel. To do it right, I’d have to make a jig to hold the heel in a more exact position but, although that’s an interesting engineering problem, I’m willing to let someone else solve it. I already have enough problems without taking on the cobblers. :wave:

I dunno, TBG, you might be passing up a golden opportunity here to learn a new skill, and take advantage of a situation that could be a good money-maker in retirement. Remember, SEP's are also opportunities! Mostly in jest, Steve

My boots were ready at the cobbler’s and I had scheduled to do some evening work at home so I left the office early and changed my work slacks and ankle boots for a short denim shirt and black leather pull-on thigh boots with 4” stilettos. I kept the long sleeved blue/white striped dress shirt since it went well with blue denim skirt. I parked near the cobbler’s shop, which is in a large shopping center, and walked in. Several folks saw me but no one seemed to pay any attention, even though someone wearing thigh boots on a warm day might be different enough for a second glance. In the shop the cobbler greeted me warmly and announced that my boots were ready. We chatted for a few minutes (but I did not offer to provide a heel tip drilling service for him) and I headed back out of the shop. As I walked out, I spotted four guys that looked like college football players who were heading towards the gym that was a couple of doors away from the cobbler’s shop. A bunch of male athletes can be almost as bad as a gaggle of giggly girls so I was hesitant about proceeding, but I noticed that these guy’s knuckles weren’t dragging on the ground, so after a few seconds I headed for my car. When I was about half way there, I heard one of the guys say to the others, “Hey, look at that”, the “that” being me, and I got four glances as they headed on their way to the gym. I did nothing to acknowledge them and got in my car and headed out. The next stop was a Walgreen’s drug store to pick up a prescription. The pharmacy is in the back of the store so after parking and walking in, I headed to the back. This chain has a set of mirrors across the back of the store above the back shelves and the mirrors tilt forward so that if you look up, you can see the entire isle behind you. I’m sure they are also security mirrors that you can see through. Anyway, I caught sight of this guy wearing thigh boots, a short skirt and a long sleeved dress shirt and thought to myself “looking good”. I was waited on by a very attractive young lady who gave a very quick glance at my skirt and then didn’t miss a beat ringing up my sale. We chatted about what a beautiful day it was and I headed on home. :wave:

I had a doctor's appointment (checkup) this morning so I went wearing tight jeans, a knit short sleeved sports shirt, and black leather pull on thigh boots with 4" stiletto heels. The nurse came and got me from the waiting room, where the other patients took turns staring at me, the nurse didn't bat an eye and she got my weight (lost 6 lbs.) and lead me to the exam room. We went over my medications and chatted for a minute with no mention of my footwear. The doctor came in a few minutes later and very professionally went over my charts and graphs and we talked about what I do for exercise (biking). He noticed my boots but not the heels. When he finally came over to "give me a listen" he got a better look at my boots and asked if I road a motorcycle. I told him that I didn't and I just wore them because they were distinctive. Then he noticed the heels… He asked, "Don't you have trouble balancing with those, don't they bother your legs or back?" I told him they didn't bother me at all, and that there were 4" heels (I held my foot out to show the heel off) and I normally wear a 5". I could tell he was having a tough time getting his mind around a 63 year old patient riding a bicycle and wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels. He finally asked, "So why do you wear them?" I told him again that they were distinctive and I just liked to wear them. He gave me an enthusiastic pat on the shoulder and said, "Keep doing what you like to do." I'm not sure if that was because he liked the independence I was demonstrating, or he thought that if I stayed happy that I'd stay healthier. I'll take the complement either way. After the doctor's appointment, I went down to the county court house to renew my car's license. I parked about a block away from the courthouse and walked over to it. I got a nice smile from a young lady who was coming out. As I walked in through the double glass doors, a guy in a county sheriff's uniform with a baseball cap (jailer?) was walking out. He spotted my boots and after I had walked passed (I could see his reflection in the door) he just turned and stared. His face registered absolute disapproval. I didn't miss a step as I walked to the registration office. In the office I don't think the clerks could see what I was wearing and they were too busy to notice anyway. I got my license then walked back out to the car and put it on the car. A nice morning in boots. :wave:

it sounds like you did have good morning thighbootguy, as far as the cop with the baseball cap- well, who in the hell cares what he thought (or didnt think for that matter) about your choice of footwear, he may have been just then going off-duty as you passed him anyways.:wave:

Demoniaplatforms –

Yes I did have a grant time. The as for the deputy in the baseball cap, it made no difference if he was on duty or off duty, I was not in violation of any law that I know of so the only thing that concerned me was his look/stare of disapproval. I didn’t really care what he thought, but I do try to be aware of how others are reacting. This may be a stereotyped reaction on my part, but I was thinking, this guy is normally in a position where he is obeyed (think male version of dominatrix :wave:) but he isn’t in that position now so how is he going to react to someone of whom he disapproves. I wasn’t afraid of his authority, just concerned about how he was going to react. However, I was right outside the sheriff’s office so he couldn’t make too much of a scene. I have posted many times that I try to not become complacent about others reactions to a guy wearing thigh boots with heels. You never know when there is going to be someone that wants to get ugly. But other than this guy, I did get a couple of nice smiles and I did have a grand time.

One day I stopped for lunch in a little obscure mexican food cafe. I was wearing a suit and my black patent leather pumps with 5" stiletto high heels. After I placed my order, four police detectives (shields in plain sight) walked in and sat down for lunch. Each walked by my table, saw me and my high heels, and went to their table to sit down and eat lunch. None gave me a second look. I guess maybe they've seen it all and it didn't phase them.

My boots were ready at the cobbler’s and I had scheduled to do some evening work at home so I left the office early and changed my work slacks and ankle boots for a short denim shirt and black leather pull-on thigh boots with 4” stilettos. I kept the long sleeved blue/white striped dress shirt since it went well with blue denim skirt.

I parked near the cobbler’s shop, which is in a large shopping center, and walked in. Several folks saw me but no one seemed to pay any attention, even though someone wearing thigh boots on a warm day might be different enough for a second glance. In the shop the cobbler greeted me warmly and announced that my boots were ready. We chatted for a few minutes (but I did not offer to provide a heel tip drilling service for him) and I headed back out of the shop. As I walked out, I spotted four guys that looked like college football players who were heading towards the gym that was a couple of doors away from the cobbler’s shop. A bunch of male athletes can be almost as bad as a gaggle of giggly girls so I was hesitant about proceeding, but I noticed that these guy’s knuckles weren’t dragging on the ground, so after a few seconds I headed for my car. When I was about half way there, I heard one of the guys say to the others, “Hey, look at that”, the “that” being me, and I got four glances as they headed on their way to the gym. I did nothing to acknowledge them and got in my car and headed out.

The next stop was a Walgreen’s drug store to pick up a prescription. The pharmacy is in the back of the store so after parking and walking in, I headed to the back. This chain has a set of mirrors across the back of the store above the back shelves and the mirrors tilt forward so that if you look up, you can see the entire isle behind you. I’m sure they are also security mirrors that you can see through. Anyway, I caught sight of this guy wearing thigh boots, a short skirt and a long sleeved dress shirt and thought to myself “looking good”.

I was waited on by a very attractive young lady who gave a very quick glance at my skirt and then didn’t miss a beat ringing up my sale. We chatted about what a beautiful day it was and I headed on home.

Funny you should mention it. I have also ventured into Walgreen's (USA) and shopped during the last 20 minutes before closing, to see my boots in their tilted mirrors in their back shelves. Best to shop there during their last hour when there are only a few customers, but I have done a few mid-day outings at Walgreen's.

I went shopping at Sam’s and PetsMart wearing a long sleeved blue dress shirt, a short denim skort with a wide soft gray leather belt, black hose, and black leather pull on thigh boots with 4” stilettos.

Neither stop was eventful. At PetsMart, there was a young black kid with his mom that got an eyeful, he didn’t say anything but he really noticed.

At Sam’s no one seemed to take notice. The register clerk was the same one that thought my last outfit was a little over the top. I asked her if this was a any better then last time and she gave me a big smile and said it looked nice. She also remembered my name before she looked at my membership card. Seems folks do remember a guy in thigh boots. :wave:

:)

She also remembered my name before she looked at my membership card. Seems folks do remember a guy in thigh boots.

I've always heard that "association" was a good technique for remembering something. Associate thighboots with a person....mental image of a guy wearing with gray hair, tied in a pony tail, wearing thighboots..."Sam, sam, the thighboot man". or something like that.....:clap::):wave:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Today is a warm one with temperatures close to 90F (32C) so I decided to head over to the museum. I headed over wearing a black T-shirt with Rochester NewYork emblazoned across the front, denim shorts with a 3” inseam, nude hose, and black leather pull-on thigh boots with 4” stilettos. I was a little warm for thigh boots but I figured I’d be Ok in the museum. Well as the saying about the best laid plans goes, the museum was closed for the holiday weekend.

As a second choice I headed to Krohn Conservatory which is also in Eden park. The conservatory was open and had a nice display but was definitely not air conditioned. I walked through and stopped and did a bit of sketching. Most folks didn’t pay any attention to me.

Out in the parking lot I saw a long flight of steps heading up a hill and my curiosity got the better of me and I went up to see what was there. There was an overlook park (overlooking the Ohio River) that I didn’t know was there. Where was a big sigh with a map that showed the entrance to this park so I decided to see if I could find it. It also showed a Vietnam Veterans memorial that I didn’t know Cincinnati had so I thought I’d look for that also.

I found the entrance and the area where the memorial was supposed to be located but there was no parking allowed in this area (I’m starting to realize why I didn’t know this place existed). About a quarter mile away was the start of a picnic area that had parking so I left my car there and walked back (I’m still wearing thigh boots with 4’ stilettos). I found another big map but this one made no mention of the memorial so I started to walk around looking for it. After about a quarter mile of looking, I came across two guys that tried to ignore me but I asked them if they had any idea where the memorial was? They said they didn’t so I started back towards my car. On the way I spotted the memorial, which was no where near where the first map had indicated. (Cincinnati Park Board needs a better cartographer). I climbed down the hill on the grass to the memorial and walked around a bit the headed back up the hill to the parking lot.

I drove on a little further to the overlook. I parked and walked over with the rest of the folks admiring the view. I stood there for a couple of minutes when I heard, “I like your heels”. The remark came from a young (13) black gal with her hair in dreadlocks and beads who was with her two younger sisters. I thanked her for her comment and headed back to my car.

I came back home and made a scotch smoothie.

• 1 cup ice in a blender
  • Enough milk to cover the ice
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • Couple oz. Scotch
Blend until smooth.

Nice afternoon out in boots.

:)

Bubba136 –

mental image of a guy wearing with gray hair, tied in a pony tail, wearing thighboots..."Sam, sam, the thighboot man".

Sheesh, give me a break. :wave:

Well, I still wanted to go somewhere that was air-conditioned. I changed my denim shorts for a pleated denim skort with a wide gray leather belt and headed for the movies. I headed out wearing a black Rochester Ny. T-shirt, the denim skort, nude hose, and black leather pull on thigh boots with 4” stilettos.

I was too early to go to the theater, so I stopped in a nearby Target. This was the first time I had been in this store and the first time the staff had seen me. I wandered around and stopped in the shoe section and even tried on a pair of 5” pumps, or at least tried to. Their version of an 11 is a bit smaller than my version so there was no way it would fit, but it was fun trying. And yes, trying on shoes while your wearing thigh boots is not the easiest thing to do.

After Target I headed to the theater and got my ticket to Prince of Persia and walked across the lobby and into the auditorium. There were a bunch of folks already seated but my favorite seat (dead center of the theater) was available so I made my way to it.

The movie was better than I thought it would be and is a really fun action flick for a Disney movie.

After the movie the lights came back up and I exited, along with the rest of the crowd.

I got a couple of looks at the theater and Target but that’s to be expected.

I came back home and made another scotch smoothie.

Monday was a good day off of work. I went to see Robin Hood starring Russell Crow. I will admit to being a Russell Crow fan. I headed off to the movies wearing a black shiny short sleeved top with an open neck and a rope waist tie, denim shorts, and black leather pull on thigh boots with 4” stilettos. It was hot so I was glad it was a short walk in from the parking lot to the air-conditioned theater. There was a nice crowd in the auditorium but my seat (center of the auditorium) was available so I headed for it and made myself comfortable. The movie was really good, despite what some reviewers had said, and I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I will admit that walking in and out of the theater in shorts was a little easier than with the pleated denim skirt I had worn the day before, but as I have said, if your wearing thigh boots with heels you can wear anything else you please. Today I had a dental appointment after work of I headed to the office wearing a long sleeved white shirt, denim knee length shorts, and black leather pull on thigh boots with 4” stilettos. The dentist is in the same town where I work, so I exercised a little more care as I walked in from the parking lot. The dentist was surprised at what I was wearing but he recovered quickly. I told him that I had said I was going it wear a taller pair on my next visit(on all my other visits I had worn knee high boots with 2-4” block heels over my slacks). He said, “They certainly are tall.” He then went on to ask if they were comfortable or too hot. I said they were fine if I wasn’t outside too long (today was also a hot day). I told him I had worn them while ridding my bike in cooler weather and he replied, “You can ride a bike in those?” (He is also a peddle pusher.) I assured him that I could. It’s been a fine, but warm, couple of boot days. :wave:

I needed to d some shopping at Sam’s, WallMart, and PetsMart on the way home from work so in preparation I wore a gray T-shirt rather than my normal white one so I could wear it rather then haveing to wear a dress shirt when I went shopping. I normally wear whatever shirt I had worn to work with whatever I change into on the way home. But with the temperatures in the 90sF I wanted to be more comfortable. At lunch, I stopped in the local Goodwill and found they had skirts on sale for 99¢ so I picked out a short denim and a long airy black one. The short one is short enough to wear under slacks, which I did for the afternoon at work. The shopping trips were uneventful and I was comfortable wearing the grey T-shirt, short denim skirt and black leather thigh boots with 4” stilettos even in the 90F temperature. I haven’t posted a picture for a while so here are two of the outfit I wore. post-928-133522918729_thumb.jpg post-928-133522918732_thumb.jpg :wave:

Here are a couple more pictures. This is the airy skirt with a long sleeved dress shirt. post-928-133522918734_thumb.jpg I haven't worn this out yet and would like some opinions on the look. Here is a typical after work shopping look with denim shorts and a long sleeved dress shirt: post-928-133522918735_thumb.jpg

post-928-133522918733_thumb.jpg

post-928-133522918734_thumb.jpg

Yo, TBG! I admire the heck out of you for still wearing thigh boots in this miserably hot weather. Now THAT'S devotion, and you have plenty of that, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Here are a couple more pictures.

This is the airy skirt with a long sleeved dress shirt.

[ATTACH]10290[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]10291[/ATTACH]

I haven't worn this out yet and would like some opinions on the look.

Here is a typical after work shopping look with denim shorts and a long sleeved dress shirt:

[ATTACH]10292[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]10293[/ATTACH]

I like both of those outfits. But the top photos with th airy skirt and log sleeved dress shirt looks more like a nice, casual, Fall outfit. But they both look good on you.

JeffB-

Devotion huh, well thanks for the complement but other thoughts come to mind like: insanity, elevator doesn’t go any higher than his boots, stuck in a style, wacko (but I freely admit to that one),… A big part of wearing them is the comfort level wearing boots affords me. I went out and cut grass this morning wearing a colored T-shirt, the new skirt and sandals. I know, mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun, so wearing sandals rather than my thigh boots was a concession to the fact I was working and getting warm. Anyway, I have strayed from my thought… I was very self conscious about wearing the skirt where had I been wearing my boots I wouldn’t have given the skirt a second thought. The boots make such an “outside the accepted” norm fashion statement in themselves, that wearing them frees me to wear anything else I want. Like I said, wacko.

roniheels -

Thanks for the kind words. I kind of like the look of that outfit myself. I may not wait for fall to tru it out though.

I was very self conscious about wearing the skirt where had I been wearing my boots I wouldn’t have given the skirt a second thought. The boots make such an “outside the accepted” norm fashion statement in themselves, that wearing them frees me to wear anything else I want. Like I said, wacko.

It's funny. Of late, I've become less self-conscious about wearing skirts in public as I've grown quite comfortable about being out and about in them, even moreso than high heels at times. Meanwhile, I might invest in a pair of five inch thigh boots to wear when fall rolls around.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!