Heel wearing fantasy

whynotheels

Should I???  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Should I???

Hi all, I'm back. I was big into this about a year ago and then dropped out. Now I'm back with a fantasy I can't stop thinking about... I may be flying to Baltimore to a week long conference in August for work. I might even rent a car out there and drive 5 hours each way to visit relatives for the weekend after the conference. Here’s what I’d like to do. Pack menswear for the conference. I simply can’t show up in a skirt --word would get back to my boss and I’d be in big trouble to embarrassing the company. That isn’t to say, I could take my suitcase and menswear and drive to the airport in skirt and heels. Park in the long term lot, walk to the shuttle, take the shuttle to the terminal, check my suitcase, and then be trapped in skirt and heels until baggage claim in Baltimore. Walking the concourse and waiting for the plane to board. Being trapped next to someone for the flight. Would they be understanding, or curious, or furious? Perhaps it would be a friendly girl and we’d have a great conversation about the whole skirt and heels thing. Once we landed, I’d be in a strange city and airport in a skirt and heels. I’d have to walk all the way to baggage claim and pray that my suitcase didn’t get lost. Then make it to a shuttle or taxi going to the hotel where I’d change in case others from convention were around. The convention ends with lunch on Friday. I could change into skirt and heels for the taxi ride to the car rental place and the long drive. I might stop for gas or to grab a bit to eat along the way. Coming home, I could wear skirt and hose for the long drive, have to get gas before returning the car, do the whole airport thing, flight, baggage pickup, shuttle to long term parking and the drive home in skirt and heels. It would be GLORIOUS!!!! Wonder how many camera phones would take my picture? That’s a little frightening.

Hi just remember if the plane has to take an emergency landing, you would have to take your high heels off and leave them on the plane. what a terible thought. Oh, If you have never done anything like this before, dont. you could panic, plus the security at airports are looking for uneasy passengers, you could draw quite a lot of attention if you are not careful. perhaps a trip on the bus for starters eh? and see if you still have the same thoughts. Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

You are going to put yourself under a tremendous amount of pressure if you are not accustomed to street heeling and wearing a skirt in public. It is probably not the best idea when dealing with airport security as Nigel already said. Flying is stressful enough as it is. A better plan would be to pack the heels and skirt and get in a little wearing at the hotel. Hotel rooms are so boring anyway.

Have a happy time!

If this is a business trip, what would you do if your luggage was lost or delayed?? Then you WOULD have to explain to your company about things!! If I ever would try something like this, it would be to vacation, not business! :-) And I would probably take a bus, not a plane too :-) BTW...Airport security would probably become an even bigger pain in this situation!! You'd draw their attention for sure! Happy Heeling!

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

There's certainly some things to think about if you ever plan to make this fantasy a reality, as the fine folks above have pointed out. I have similar fantasies about business travel because it always takes me away from familiar people. I even considered what it would be like when, not if, TSA decided my 4" heels needed to be examined, or the boot taken off (not quick and easy). I expect for situations like this, they have a location away from the general public to conduct their inspection. Otherwise, I'm right with you on committing your "guy" gear to the belly of the plane for the duration - with the anticipation of whether or not you'll have said gear when you arrive at your destination. Good fantasy, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback. This wouldn't be my first adventure out in heels. Two summers ago, I took a couple computer courses, each a week long, within driving distance of my house but still away from the office. For the first week I wore pants and heels. For the second course a month later I wore a mini skirt, hose, and heels. I took nothing else with me and that was that --I was in heels until I got home at the end of the day. The thrill was almost as good as the feel of the outfit! I even did some shopping at Target and test drove a Mini Cooper. Airport security would be fun. I think I'd be calm enough to avoid the strip search. I think I'd have to take a pair of ankle socks with me to slip into at security. I wouldn't want to run my hose. Plus I'd have to walk somewhere out of the way to sit and put the heels back on --why do they have to make those ankle strap buckles so small???? :roll: Actually, it would probably be better to wear a skirt and heels to secuirty. Last time we flew, I forgot about the pocket knive that is second nature to have and almost got it taken away. I ended up going out of security, checking it as luggage, and going through security a second time. My skirt wouldn't have a pocket for the knive --problem solved :rofl: As for lost luggage, I've thought about that. If the suitcase got lost, I could always resort to the plastic suitcase in my wallet (aka credit card). Go to the local Target or mall in heels and charge some guy clothes.

JimC has a good point actually, if word got back to your employer somehow you could end up in trouble. I wouldn't have thought that airport staff would react too much, apart from anything else they'd be risking you complaining to their superiors about them behaving in an unprofessional manner. Chris

There are two principals I follow (and seem to preach a lot on this board): 1. Be comfortable with how you look 2. Don’t be complacent about choosing where you go. If you are comfortable appearing in a skirt and heels, go for it. If you project a confident image, people will pick up on that. However, going someplace that you don’t know about in advance is a bit risky. Throw a pair of shorts and flats in your carry on. I make an extra effort to not mix work and heels. I do wear thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels when I travel (drive) for business and all the time I’m not participating in business activities while I’m on the road.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. Well I haven't heard back from www.dragqueen.com about my shoe questions. I haven't heard about the business trip either. So I guess I'll save my money, not buy the shoes, and wait for a better time to go heeling.

Thanks again. Now I'm going to fade into the woodwork again.

--WhyNotHeels

Thighbootguy has very sound advice and I would strongly suggest following it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

No reason to fade into the woodwork. I am an ex-lurker myself and I took almost two years to work up the courage to register and begin posting. Now that you are registered, look around as I am sure you have done and if something elicits a response, post your thoughts!

Have a happy time!

JimC has a good point actually, if word got back to your employer somehow you could end up in trouble. I wouldn't have thought that airport staff would react too much, apart from anything else they'd be risking you complaining to their superiors about them behaving in an unprofessional manner.

Chris

They're as primed not to draw attention to variations from the norm as they are spot suspicious behavior. Cross-dressing isn't considered "suspicious behavior." Appearing nervous or in a hurry, however, is.

I'd recommend you do what I do - pack a pair of heels (skirt if you'd like) in your carry-on, and wear jeans and walking shoes through security.

Oh, security will spot your heels, all right - I've seen more than a few smirks escaping the x-ray scanner techs' faces. But so long as it's not a prohibited item, they could care less.

Then, once you're in the airport, or in the airplane's lavatory, change.

I once flew from Germany to the US in a full-length dark denim gored skirt and a pair of dark brown boots with a 3-1/2" tapered block heels.

But I changed in the airplane - there's little anyone will do to stop you, then, particularly if they've already labled you as a polite, well-behaved passenger.

At my destination, I walked off the airplane like that (after talking with the retired librarian sitting next to me for 2 hours about various things in life - 10 minutes of fashion, and 1:50 about everything else), proceeded to the car rental counter, into my hotel, and that evening at a restaurant near the hotel.

Very nice, very relaxed, no worries.

But I still board the airplane in jeans and walking shoes (men's).

ah its not that much of a stretch. i've flown before wearing my 6 inch heel cupid boots. walked right through security, into the lounge, had a few, boarded the plane, made it to the destination, arrived downtown, spent the day there, took the transit to the pick up and met my wife at the other end, at a club. beauty. spent almost 7 hours wearing the boots. if security ask you to take off your heels, go ahead. what else are you going to do? next time i'm going to do the trip in my 7.5 inch spike heel boots from maya. of course i'd leave the heels out of it if it were a business trip. business is one thing. pleasure is totally another.

• 2 years later...
I wore Steve Madden stiletto boots from 7 am to 5 pm in three airports, LaGuardia, JFK and Fort Lauderdale, FL and went through TSA at JFK with pantyhose on under the boots (women's jeans too) with no problem (see separate thread on airports). I was fine with that - but the skirt, no, not for me at this point.

It's all about the heel!

Go for it; but don't let heels offend clients, cos clients mean business; I do earrings, hair, and a bit of makeup as regular, but heels only when i know and judge the client for a revisit. I've often been asked "are you gay", to which i answer, "no, I just like to confuse people. Don't know what that means about me. No gay preferences at all; probably lack of paternal bonding....

Go for it; but don't let heels offend clients, cos clients mean business; I do earrings, hair, and a bit of makeup as regular, but heels only when i know and judge the client for a revisit.

I've often been asked "are you gay", to which i answer, "no, I just like to confuse people.

Don't know what that means about me. No gay preferences at all; probably lack of paternal bonding....

When you are self employed, as I am, and depend upon clients for your daily bread, you have to keep in mind -- and never forget -- that they've chosen to do business with you. Therefore, it's up to you to always present an image to them that demonstrates they've not made a mistake by hiring someone with a "controversial" appearance the might reflect poor judgment upon them. Good work and formulation of superb business strategies won't be enough.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Dude, keep your fantasy away from your business life, unless you don't mind taking a huge risk. How comfortable are you going to be explaining you all your friends that you're in trouble with your boss for wearing women's shoes? If, on the other hand, the risk is low, and you're already used to being in heels for an extended period of time, I say, "Fuhk Yeah!"

It comes down to common sense. Where them where and when ever you want to. But remember, you will be seen by many people depending where you go and how often you wear them. It just depends on how comfortable you are when you wear high heels.

A great fantasy, one I thought of doing many times. But in all honesty, going through the airport these day is hassle enough and time consuming. I just want to go through security as quickly as possible ad not give them an excuse to detain me a bit longer. Maybe if security was more like the good old days where you didn't have to take off your shoes, throw away all your liquids or having the smallest piece of metal beep due to the magnometer being set to max, then maybe I'd consider it more, but only for short trips. Long trips with long/multiple flights and heavy bags do not really go very well with heels. If there is even the slightest chance of your career/business being comprimised because of your choice of fashion, I'd advise against it. Unless, of course, you don't care if you lose your job and have other options.