A Recent New Experience While Shopping..

NrthEastHeel

I have had a rich interest and passion for heels for a very long time, and have usually ordered online, or occasionally just purchased in shop. I was out on a shopping excursion with my friend a few weeks ago, browsing shops and buying new items, when she directed me to a pair of heels that caught her eye in Debenhams (UK dept store). They were on clearance sale, and heavily reduced in price. For a few days i looked at them online, and they style appealed to me more and more where the temptation grew where i just had to have them. I went back to the store a few days later to purchase them, and took the heel on the rack to a girl, and said id like to buy the pair. She took them to another girl at the counter, where i waited to be served. The girl behind the counter fetched the box and matching heel and came back to the counter, where she said... " these are beautiful heels, would you like to try them on for size?". This was the first time, ever, i had been in a shop, and i was asked if i woukd like to try a pair on. She asked so casually, that it really caught me off guard, and my instant reaction was "no thats fine, im buying them for someone else". She was a lovely assistant. As i got to my car, i wondered if i should have tried them on. I think the shock of the comment made me nervous. I know my size (5uk/38eu), and they did fit perfectly when i got home, but my mind is very curious as to what it wouod have been like to accept the offer to try them on before purchase. Was quite a thrilling experience. Ive attached a pic of the heels i purchased. Id love to hear comments, or similar experiences :-)

post-2383-0-67179600-1377252135_thumb.jp

Well I've found that more and mre sales staff are totally fine with men buying heels and have been asked several times if I want to try them on. If they seem relaxed and natural then they are clearly ok with it so make sure you do. Most importantly you do get to know if they do fit and of course you get to do a little bit if public heeling if you don't normally. Generally I already have heels on so trying them on is n a problem and always gets a conversation going. Nex time make sure you give them a try you will be glad you did. Why not go back to h same les girl and try a few pairs on next time you are out and about.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Gorgeous shoes. You're very lucky to have such foot size because you can choose whatever you want. I wear uk size 9 and it's very hard to find shoes that fit fine, if they even exist in that size.

I can understand why you reacted that way as a first-timer, but now you definitely know better for next time. If I was asked I'd definitely try them on (and if I wasn't I'd definitely ask to try them on anyway, which is usually what happens without any issues at all).

If you like it, wear it.

I have done it three times and it is an interesting experience to say the least. Each times has been at a Payless. Two times I was able to enjoy seeing how the SA responds when I enquire "how do you girls walk in these?" Both times I have received the same response, "I don"t." That is such a tragedy when they have all the opportunity to do so. One trip was a search and she was helpful in trying to locate the Perfect Pink Pumps for which I was looking but for which did not get to try. It kind of goes along with my therory of the "heel gene" needing to be present to be confident nad confortable in heels. In both cases, the SA was very helpful and completely able to answer any questions. It is alot more fun than the old method of saying they were a gift for the wife.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I know my size (5uk/38eu), and they did fit perfectly when i got home.

You lucky sod!

Back in the day they nearly always asked if I wanted to try them on (it's not such a shock these days LOL). I think it' because I'd be sitting there with one shoe off ready that did it!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You lucky sod!

Back in the day they nearly always asked if I wanted to try them on (it's not such a shock these days LOL). I think it' because I'd be sitting there with one shoe off ready that did it!

Hehe thanks :-) perhaps its more common than i thought, and not such a shock if a guy asked to try shoes for size :-)

stilettonz, Very nice and classic pumps both in your avatar and what you bought. I also like very tall heels but always insist on trying them on at whatever store I'm at. I do think you probably took a few steps back by NOT trying them on at the store for these reasons.

The salesgirl correctly interpreted your body language in knowing that you were buying the heels for yourself and nobody else but you didn't advance the opportunity to fully develop this encounter. You also let yourself down by denying yourself a chance to express yourself to someone who knew why you were there. It sounds like, after some introspection, that you'll do things differently next time. I ahev always said that women in general are more attuned to their surroundings and generally know, the very instant a man steps into a shoe store, why he is there. I often wear heels into shoe stores, an even when I don't, I am very open and clear about what I am looking for, and get better service as a result. You also advance the cause of getting the shoe retail industry to stand up and take notice of men around the world buying heels. HappyinHeels

The first time I tried on heels in a self-service store, I took them to the cash desk to pay and the sales assistant asked "Are they for you?". I replied "Yes, I just tried them on over there and they fit great." She then said "Oh, I was only joking, we get a few guys buying heels but I assumed it was for their wife or girlfriend." She went on to say that it was really cool, that the shoes were my colour, and to enjoy them. Being a regular at that store I saw her many times afterwards and she was always friendly and took an interest in what I was wearing and buying. I guess I'm saying that some sales assistants might even be asking "do you want to try them on?" as a joke, but even than you can catch them by surprise and bring out a really positive reaction, you don't have to wait for a sympathetic sales assistant to take the lead. Enjoy your next shopping trip.

If you like it, wear it.

Those are some super awesome shoes I wish I could get that reaction but since my feet are too big I have to specially order mine I would love to get that one day asking me if I would like to try some heels on.

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

Very nice heels you got there, and while it was a shame you didn't get to try them on in the store, I'm not sure I would have been able to think and respond to say 'yes' myself either. That's a tough one if you are not used to doing that already. I am similarly pretty shy about it, and I have only been helped by an SA a few times to have them brought out to me to try on, and each of those times my wife was there shopping with me, which gives me a lot more confidence. Otherwise, usually when I am out on my own buying from the store, I go to stores that have all the shoes out on the racks in boxes so that you help yourself (Kohl's, Famous Footwear, Payless, and typical 'big-box' stores, etc). I am much more comfortable in those type of stores to try them on (in my head anyway... lol).

I must be living in a very backwards area. When I go to the nearest Payless, they look at me like I'm some kind of freak, even if I am wearing some kind of heel. If I try on a pair, the sales associates disappear. I recently had on a pair of mens western boots with an underslung heel and had to actually convince this twenty something girl that they were in fact actually mens boots. She was insistant that they were womens boots until I showed her the size inside the boots. I've been half tempted to complain to the company, but with the staff turn around, and lack of business they seem to get, Walmart will overtake them locally, and the local Walmart has little to nothing beyond flip flops, flats, and sneakers. Most of the designs discussed here at HHP are not on the shelves at the local Payless, so I have to go about an hour away to check out the suggestions.

I must be living in a very backwards area.

You're profile does state you are from "The sticks".

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Most of the designs discussed here at HHP are not on the shelves at the local Payless, so I have to go about an hour away to check out the suggestions.

Check out their web site for styles and have them delivered to your local store delivery. Some styles are only available that particular way of order.

http://www.payless.com/store/catalog/category.jsp;jsessionid=5AE9F0216871BD4408B02D2616FAE732.pss-app-06-p-app4?catId=cat10088

I have always found their SA to be very friendly and helpful - but that has to be pertanant to the local culture in each area no matter what corporate policy expects.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

You're profile does state you are from "The sticks".

- - - And it feels like it more each year.

Local village has a festival over Labor Day Weekend.

- - The big attractions???

Demo Derby's.

Beer Tent.

It does support the local fire department (Volunteer I might add) but to pay $6.00 to get in just doesn't justify the gas to get there. There really isn't much to see.

- - And NO! I will not wear heels to this event.

Heelster, It is hard to think that you and Steve63130 live in the same state (Ohio), right?? I think of your descriptions of your area the way you paint it as if it were 300 miles fom the Continental Divide (and just as far from the nearest 5" heel) and yet just a few miles away, in the center of the state is Granville, a small college town just east of Columbus where you sould wear heels and not get a yawn or spend a day shopping in heels in Columbus. Such a difference in culture in a state that's not even big by most state standards. I thought Payless was a pretty cool place just about everywhere but I guess there are a few that aren't. I guess you'll just have to bide your time for a trip out of town now and then so you can relax. I'll light a candle in your honor and wish you the best. HappyinHeels

Heelster, It is hard to think that you and Steve63130 live in the same state (Ohio), right?? I think of your descriptions of your area the way you paint it as if it were 300 miles fom the Continental Divide (and just as far from the nearest 5" heel) and yet just a few miles away, in the center of the state is Granville, a small college town just east of Columbus where you sould wear heels and not get a yawn or spend a day shopping in heels in Columbus. Such a difference in culture in a state that's not even big by most state standards. I thought Payless was a pretty cool place just about everywhere but I guess there are a few that aren't. I guess you'll just have to bide your time for a trip out of town now and then so you can relax. I'll light a candle in your honor and wish you the best. HappyinHeels

Shopping in Columbus is a wonderful time. I've worn heels to the malls, dinner, and even to places like 'The Tilted Kilt" with no problems at all. Spent better part of a week attending some specialized classes in Powell Ohio, and did it all in heels. I'll go about an hour east toward Cleveland, and not have a problem. Even Cinci isn't a problem. Just seems like all the locals are pretty conservative, or don't dress beyond jeans and t-sheets - - even the women in most cases.

Been shocked like that several times. Then I look back at the missed opertunity. Had a lady ask if I was shopping for me. I told her yes and pulled up my pants to show the heels I had on. Endede up sitting with her and talking. Too bad she was like 100 yrs old

Have to say here in the north Georgia mountains every Payless has been great to shop at. Although the one closest to me doesn't stock large sizes in the good looking heels I like the sales folks have been very helpful. The last time I went in they left me alone but said if I needed any help just say so. I have had heels shipped to the store and the SA was very helpful with me trying them on. Trust me, this place is like the sticks also so it must be your store. The closest store to me with large sizes and good selection is about 1 hour away and I don't get there very often. Even if they are not helpful and they have what you like try them on anyway and they will get used to your shopping and maybe next time will be more helpful. Who knows?

I have a small collection of "Walk A Mile" tee shirts. So whenever I'm shoe shopping I make a point of wearing one to the store. Then there's no question who I'm shopping for and why I want to try on shoes.

Good idea - like that.

I have a small collection of "Walk A Mile" tee shirts. So whenever I'm shoe shopping I make a point of wearing one to the store. Then there's no question who I'm shopping for and why I want to try on shoes.

What a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a rich interest and passion for heels for a very long time, and have usually ordered online, or occasionally just purchased in shop.

I was out on a shopping excursion with my friend a few weeks ago, browsing shops and buying new items, when she directed me to a pair of heels that caught her eye in Debenhams (UK dept store). They were on clearance sale, and heavily reduced in price. For a few days i looked at them online, and they style appealed to me more and more where the temptation grew where i just had to have them.

I went back to the store a few days later to purchase them, and took the heel on the rack to a girl, and said id like to buy the pair. She took them to another girl at the counter, where i waited to be served. The girl behind the counter fetched the box and matching heel and came back to the counter, where she said...

" these are beautiful heels, would you like to try them on for size?".

This was the first time, ever, i had been in a shop, and i was asked if i woukd like to try a pair on. She asked so casually, that it really caught me off guard, and my instant reaction was "no thats fine, im buying them for someone else". She was a lovely assistant.

As i got to my car, i wondered if i should have tried them on. I think the shock of the comment made me nervous. I know my size (5uk/38eu), and they did fit perfectly when i got home, but my mind is very curious as to what it wouod have been like to accept the offer to try them on before purchase.

Was quite a thrilling experience. Ive attached a pic of the heels i purchased.

Id love to hear comments, or similar experiences :-)

A very similar thing happened to me when I bought the gold toe caps in my avatar. They're from Long Tall Sally and I'd had my eye on them for a week or so - pretty much as soon as they appeared on the website. So, I'd decided I was going to get them and it was just a case of when. I was in town one day and I just thought "fuck it, I will buy them one day - might as well be today!" so off I went to my local LTS store. Did the usual circumnavigation of the store before having a word with myself and going in. The shoe department had moved since I was last in and was right by the door so within 10seconds of entering the store said shoes where in my hand. the usual "can I help with anything?" came from over my shoulder and I requested them in a size 11. The size 11's where brought me by the store manager who asked in a very casual manner if I'd like to try them on. I said no and immediately kicked myself. Opportunity missed, damn it! But it's not the first time had an experience like that in that store. Pleasant small talk was exchanged as I made the purchase and left the store a happy man. It makes me wonder how often men go shopping for heels in there given how relaxed and open she was about asking if I wanted to try them on. And to top it off, she was quite attractive...

We all have regrets over missed opportunities of actually revealing our intent for the heels we have purchased in retail shoe shops. Under the guise of getting them as gifts or for great causes may be valid for they are gifts you are giving yourself or you may intend to walk that race in them, but this is still in the light of less than true. Telling it like it truly is would be the right and best thing to do. You won't have to worry about being seen as a prevaricator nor does your self image have to be lessened by making it seem like your getting away with something that you already should be doing. How can we expect to wear high heels publicly if we don't change our attitudes from the subordinate feelings of social perversity to enjoying the fulfillment of our innate desires for adorning our appearance with the items we choose. Has anyone really thought about the choices men have been left with for today's social scene? Just today, I saw a shirt with the cowl neckline that really looked sharp with jeans and heels. This shirt could have been part of anyone's outfit, but the present social consensus only approves men to wear certain types of shirts. The freedom to choose the items of apparel from our personal desires is on the line. Wearing heels is looked at as impractical and men have the stereotype of being practical. Granted, heels as footwear have their limitations of viability and most people have to practice in them to be build their confidence along with their ankle strength, but heels are more versatile then the impedance of utility and comfort some people and/or groups are trying to promote. I also won't deny there are women choosing to wear heels to feel better about their appearance and use heel along with their natural arsenal to attract the notice of men, but this doesn't mean men can't or don't have desires to wear heels. Men in heels are just as manly as women are womanly. It's the social familiarity that makes the difference.

A year ago, I mustered upthe courage to actually try on a pair in a Payless,  I explained I needed apair for Halloween costume and the SA proceeded to have me try several different styles.  She volunteered that she could not wear heels and I ended up with the 13M Kosmic after trying the 12M, 12W, 13W sizes.  She had suggested the Karmen pump, some Fioni open-toe pumps, the Luna wedge, and a couple of other styles.  Recently, I got the pink pair of Joycelyn (sp) T-bar open toe pumps for a Breast Cancer walk and the SA asked if I wanted to try them.  They fit even better than the Kosmic's and again the SA said she could not wear heels - but tried once and almost fell on each step she took.  We both jad a good laugh. 

I wonder how many SA's can not wear heels and actually admire those of us who can?

I am to the point where when I am out and cross paths with a Payless - I am stopping to do more than just "window shop." Kind of fun to see how helpful some can be with the "unusual" customer.

I have had a few experiences in the store. The one I was the most comfortable with was about 2 years ago, and it was one of those sexy lingerie shops (the kind that has DVDs in another part of the store, where you have to be 21 to enter). I walked in, and the very cute twentysomething SA told me they had a special on DVDs. I told her I was not interested in DVDs but wanted to look at shoes. I looked for a few minutes before she approached me. She said, "what size is she"?  I replied that they were for me. With a smile, she said, "No Way"! and immediately started to help. She sized me up on the foot sizer, and told me not to go anywhere, she would be right back. She returned with about 6 different styles of shoes in my size. She told me to sit down, and proceeded to try the shoes on me. I was nervous, and said "I bet this doesn't happen very often". She said "lots of guys buy shoes, and lie about them being for their girlfriend. You are the first to admit to me they are for you, so I want to help you". I made some comment about guys in heels being strange. She looked at me and said, "No, I think this is too cool. And you are one of the more 'normal' guys I have seen in here. Dont feel weird!"

She made suggestions, one being "absolutely not, those shoes are hideous". When we got to the pair I had my eye on, she said "those are perfect! I love them!" She encouraged me to walk around the store and ignore any other customers. I seen her looking back at me as she was putting all the other boxes away. She said she absolutely loved those shoes, and was going to get a pair for herself. I paid for them and thanked her for making me feel "not so weird".  She told me "Weird is all the guys that come in here wanting porn DVDs. I wish more guys would come in here wanting shoes -- besides, I think it is a cool look".

She was awesome and absolutely made me feel comfortable trying on and buying shoes.  Another interesting part is where she said she knew most of the guys were lying about the shoes not being for them. That experience has given me confidence when I go into Payless or DSW. I can now try on shoes without shaking or sweating!

The shoes the girl sold me were by pleaser. If i can find a link I will post it here later.

--Dude