Why Is It That We Tend To Gravitate To Extreme Heels ?

kouferoo

I’m a 60yr old guy who likes to wear heels and skirts, and would like to in public. I can wear 4 inchers all day without any problem but every time I look at buying heels I want more height and more dramatic of a boot. Right now I’m looking at a pair of heelless boots, which I know will be very hard to walk in ( I bought a pair on e-bay but they were way to big for me so I sold them) but I still want a pair that fit. I have even tried a pair of ballets, I can see they take a lot of practice. I just wonder why I can’t be satisfied with 3-4 inch heels.

Maybe for overcompensation or maybe to add more risk of getting noticed maybe. I know it always give me a good feeling when I get stopped and they either like my boots or in disbelief on how well I can walk or dance in my shoes.

What ya see is what ya get no more or less!!

I think that one of the reasons is that we want to be aware that we are wearing heels. The first time wearing 2 inch heels is for many people already rather special and a new and special experience. But soon we are used to it and it becomes rather normal. We hardly even notice that we wear them. So we look for three inch heels. Etc. When you go out with heels there is the adrenaline that it brings, but after a while we get used to how we go out regularly, so we want to try something a bit more special. You can look at some of the stories of people who go out and first go with heels, then want to try to experiment with going out with skirts or even dresses. To me it looks like the same mechanism. It is a form of addiction to experiment with something new and challenging. Some people have this and some don't. Usually the people who like to experiment are the more interesting people. It does take balls for a guy to go out as a guy in heels, or additionally a skirt or a dress, so a high adrenaline level is guaranteed. There are many guys who would love to do it but do not have the courage. I never get beyond rather modest heels. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

It does take balls for a guy to go out as a guy in heels, or additionally a skirt or a dress, so a high adrenaline level

is guaranteed. There are many guys who would love to do it but do not have the courage. I never get beyond rather

modest heels.

Y.

Hmm.. I wouldnt say it takes balls, but a good fashion sense ;)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

For sure some people may gravitate towards extreme heels and that's fine, but I think that does get exaggerated as a stereotype. Personally I find extreme heels simply too steep, and I prefer mainstream high-street styles that give me a sense of affinity with people (mostly women) whose everyday styles I find attractive.

If you like it, wear it.

Most people don't remember their first pair of hard soled, no heeled shoes, because it was part of growing up and entering toddlerhood. Until you got use to properly walking, the sounds of clip-clopping proceded your arrival. Then you were introduced to the heeled shoes, which may have only given you a .375 inch (1 cm) lift, and you had to get use to difference in your walking process, but it made you feel a lot taller and better. Somewhere during or shortly after this period, you became aware of even higher heels being worn by other people and they really looked good wearing them. Maybe it was dad's cowboy boots, mom's dress shoes, a neighbor's pumps, or the heels of someone walking in the store that caused the connection you had with your first experience with heeled shoes and you wanted to see if higher heels felt better. Upon confirming that higher heels were even more exciting to wear, because of the way they felt and looked, a type of bond for wearing the highest heels you could manage to walk in, may have formed in your mind. The preceding was a possible speculation as to why wearing extremely high heels is so desired. For me, I just like the way I felt wearing such beautiful footwear. As experience teaches, wearing heels over 5.5 inches made it virtually impossible for me to walk with any kind of gracefulness, so these higher heels are worn privately and/or secretly to keep from making a spectacle of my presence in front of others.

I may have once gravitated to higher heels, but quickly found out that 3.5 to 4 inches is my limit, and I'm most comfortable in 3 to 3.5 inches. So I've backed off from the challenge of wanting to go stratospheric and I'm quite happy with moderate heel heights. SleekHeels, I like the way you articulated it. We're on the same page. Steve

Hmmmmmm.... Well, I'm to tall for high, high heels. If I wore 4 inch heels I would look like an NBA all-star!! Plus real high heels have never appealed to me anyway. I prefer heels up to 2 inches, but will go to 3 inches if I really, really like the shoe - and I don't look to silly with the higher heel. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

At 6-2 in my bare feet, five inches is as extreme as I get when it comes to wearing high heels, and that's more than good enough for me.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I am not gravitating to extreme heels. I mean it is mainly the contrary. At first, I ankwardly bought pairs of pleaser-like pumps with a reasonably 4" heel that I wore in private as far as I could. It satisfied my frustration of not being able to wear heeled shoes as a guy with size 45 feet. But then I started to notice fashion. And also that I could go out in public with my heeled shoes. Thus I wanted to build nice outfits. I now not only want plain heeled shoes, but rather fine shoes. The heel is a kind of cherry on the cake, and even with a 1" heel, I am happy to be the guy who wear the coolest shoes.

• Like 1

I like Dr Shoe's reply, and I know I have gone through cycles, where I really want to go that much higher. My logical side usually kicks in and says wear the ~4" range, because I can be comfortable in them all day and can walk very well in them. Anyway, I do the same thing every few months. I get the urge to wear 5"+ out in public and it just makes no logical sense that I should want to, because I know I don't look all that comfortable in them and am certainly not as graceful walking in them. But who says logic is really at play here, it is just like a drug to me at times. :)

All, It could be overcompensation or the constant need to enjoy the sensation of heels since, well, it is more a novelty for us men. As one wears heels more then the novelty fades if not the desire to make a fashion statement. The vast majority of my heels are 5-6" but I adore heels 7-8" as well. I am failry short, have a small/medium build, and have more feminine-looking legs anyway so heels seem a natural attraction. Whatever it is exactly I know my need for heels isn't going away soon. HappyinHeels