Heel shape: round or flat-front?

SleekHeels

Which heel shape do you prefer?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which heel shape do you prefer?

• a totally round O-shape
    • a flat-front U-shape

Can't answer this but as round heel profiles tend to be rarer I would rate them as more special, maybe sleeker/sexier? Having said that I nearly bought a pair today <6" but was looking for a loafer style, of which I found :silly:. the "<6"ers" was a little bland, didn't quite have the edge but would have been bought if I had not found what I wanted. Al

The "U" or horseshoe influenced heel tip is the traditionally used shape, which I expect came into being when heels were first attached to shoes to keep the rider's feet in the stirrups while riding horses. The sole of the shoe was extended and applied to the heel to help keep the heel in place and to protect the underside of the heels, thus the flat area on the front of spikes and stilettos. Now that high heels are not really associated with horse riding much anymore, other shaped heels have become fashionable. It probably doesn't really make any difference as to which heel shape is preferred, but I guess the horseshoe influence would be my preference should there be a choice. However, like others have said, it depends on the total look of the footwear with all the other specifications being the same and my mood.

Thanks for the responses and comments. Reflecting on that I think I'm concluding that I used to be a lot more obsessive on minor details like that. I'd often either make a bad purchase because I was blinded by a detail I really liked, or miss out on a really great pair of shoes because some little detail put me off. The round heel was a bit like that for me at first but I'm warming to it now.

If you like it, wear it.

I like them both the same. Most are the flat-front style, but it is probably because most manufacturers use that style.

This is a true statement. All of my high heels are the flat-front style. It has been a while since I have seen the round style.

While I prefer the overall look of a horseshoe-shaped heel I have bought a few heels this past year that were completely round and they looked cute as well. Probably come down to the outfit you have on. HappyinHeels:wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I like both, but prefer the U shaped heel. I like the way a contrasting sole colour extends down the front of the heel and emphasises it, either with traditional leather (or leather coloured) soles, or a colour like Louboutin's red. Faith also did some shoes with metallic purple soles which looked great with the black leather.

All told, I prefer a stillleto heel. That's usually very tiny, and very round.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

The flat-front or "U"-shape creates a sharply defined line at the face of the heel, which tends to emphasize the shape of the heel and its height. The round heel tends to "blend" that line a bit. For that reason, I would have to indicate a slight preference for the "U" style. But the preference is only slight, I wouldn't pass on a pair of shoes that I liked for other reasons simply because they had round-profile heels.

Have a happy time!

• 4 weeks later...

The flat-fronted heel is the traditional stiletto and I prefer it to any other shape, particuiarly if it is set properly under the shoe, i.e. not too far back. Although any high and thin heel is (these days) commonly called a 'stiletto', there are other terms in use, e.g. 'pencil', 'cigarette'. I question whether either of these applies to the all-round style; does anyone know? And is there a distinction in name between the thin all-round heel that tapers out to the back at its top (as with a traditional stiletto) and one that is straight most of the way up, often made in metal?

The flat-fronted heel is the traditional stiletto and I prefer it to any other shape, particuiarly if it is set properly under the shoe, i.e. not too far back.

Although any high and thin heel is (these days) commonly called a 'stiletto', there are other terms in use, e.g. 'pencil', 'cigarette'. I question whether either of these applies to the all-round style; does anyone know? And is there a distinction in name between the thin all-round heel that tapers out to the back at its top (as with a traditional stiletto) and one that is straight most of the way up, often made in metal?

You are absolutely correct.

The original stiletto heel came from Italy, and was named after the knife of the same name - the 'stiletto' - which has a long, thin blade almost like a spike, and was carried as a personal weapon by gangsters, hoodlums and criminals. The 'stiletto' heel is a sculpted heel, starting with a flat front, which then tapers down as a spike, to a small pointed tip - usually about 2mm in diameter, no more.

The round heel style also originates from Italy, and is commonly known as a 'cigarette' heel or 'pencil' heel simply because it is round all the way down - and usually the same circumference too.

There is no difference in name, between the heel that shapes out to the whole of the heel - and the heel that stays the same all the way up. They are both known as 'cigarette' heels.

As a purely personal choice - I much prefer the sculpted 'stiletto' heel, tapering down to a tiny little point.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

As a purely personal choice - I much prefer the sculpted 'stiletto' heel, tapering down to a tiny little point.

Exactly! Those heels that have the shape of tall roofing nails should have never been attached to any shoes or boots. I see that YSL and Christian Louboutin has applied them to a few of their creations, which devaluates those lines of footwear in my opinion.

As I understand high heel shapes, the spike and stiletto are now used interchangeably. However, the spike's concaved tapering usually extends over half of the height of the heel's upper area, while the stiletto's tapering extends under a third of the heel's upper area. Both lower areas of the heel could be very thin, which is the reason that made people refer to the spike as a stiletto. The spike concept now refers to heels with shaft cylinder areas thicker than 9mm diameter.

... The 'stiletto' heel is a sculpted heel, starting with a flat front, which then tapers down as a spike, to a small pointed tip - usually about 2mm in diameter, no more. ...

Thanks, Pussy - I thought I was on the right lines with the terminology. But I query your suggestion that the diameter of a stiletto heel tip is as little as 2mm (5/64"!) . Yes, there are a few extremely thin heels around but the typical heel tip (whether round or D-shaped) is rarely less than 6mm (0.25") across, surely? (And a true stiletto is not much thicker than that - say up to 9mm across.)

Thanks, Pussy - I thought I was on the right lines with the terminology. But I query your suggestion that the diameter of a stiletto heel tip is as little as 2mm (5/64"!) . Yes, there are a few extremely thin heels around but the typical heel tip (whether round or D-shaped) is rarely less than 6mm (0.25") across, surely? (And a true stiletto is not much thicker than that - say up to 9mm across.)

The tips of my 1980's 'Rush Hour' heels are 2.5mm across......

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"