Heels and the Police

high heel

Yet, maybe about driving in high heels...

Only if you cause an accident and it is deemed that the high heels were the cause of the accident, they may then be able to charge you with driving with undue care and attention or not being in control of the vehicle!

Well..... Here in the USA (can't speak to other countries) a guy wearing heels (or womens clothing) is absolutely 1000% legal!!! In the US we have a constitution that guarantees life, liberty and the pursit of happiness. The constitution spells out what the government CAN NOT do to it's citizens, and restricting the wearing of certian types of clothing is NOT addressed. As for driving, I am not aware of a single state that resrticts driving while wearing heels (or barefoot for that matter - some folks think that is illegal - it's not). I have had occasions where police have seen me in heels and they just keep on going. I would be very concerned if I was detained just because I was wearing high heels. High Heel, did you have an "incident" with the police?? sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

High Heel Years ago I was in New York City with some friends. George and Marie. I was wearing a black leather skirt and jacket with 5" black patent pumps. Single sole shoes. We went to dinner in a yery nice restaurant and then to a broadway play. We noticed an unusal number of Police on the streets. It seems that they were looking for a man who had been out on the streets threatening people with a knife. Several of the Police spoke to me about my attire. All Posative. Another time, I was stopped by the Ohio State Highway Patrol for speeding on I-71 North. I was directed to sit in the officers crouser while the officer wrote a citation. I was wearing a pair of jeans with 5" stiletto oxfords. (single sole shoe) I can't say for sure if the officer even noticed my shoes. End of my criminal career. Mike

When I was going through driving school in my teenage years, I remember the girls telling each other that their high heels should get swapped out for flats when driving for safety reasons, especially when doing their road test. On that I think it all boils down to being able to solidly put the foot to the brake in a swerving panic, and a flat foot provides a better margin when aiming for that pedal. Otherwise, there were no written restrictions involving heel height or style when behind the wheel regardless of gender. Also, the laws here in the states that banned the wearing of clothes "assigned" to the opposite gender were long ago considered 19th century relics and subsequently repealed. As for opinions from the cops I know, they don't care. It isn't illegal. It is not harmful to anyone around you. It really falls into the "don't care" category. In general, they've seen and dealt with conditions that are far, far worse. Their concern only starts if it puts you at risk of injury. Otherwise, like the song says. "It's your thing, do what you want to do"

Only if you cause an accident and it is deemed that the high heels were the cause of the accident, they may then be able to charge you with driving with undue care and attention or not being in control of the vehicle!

Actually I doubt that that would ever come up. It never appears on an insurance claim form.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Being fairly new to wearing heel "in public", I have not had any trouble or enven been noticed by the Police that I know of, it was just a general question from a newby. I have only worn my heels getting gas at the pump and in to a local donut store to this point. I am trying to get up the courage to go into a Payless or some other shoe store but can't seem to make myself do it yet.

There are no laws in the United States regulating attire while driving and never will be. Traffic is regulated enough and, frankly, many are fed up with expansionist government as evidenced by the last election. There are, however, laws that deal with a failure to control one's vehicle which is the cause of 100% of accidents or crashes as they are called in Wisconsin. Roads are specifically designed in such a way that, if driven at the posted speed limit at a reasonable level of driver awareness, a crash is nearly always preventable. A deer suddenly blasting out of the woods into the road may be one instance of simply not being able to react in time. On the other hand, I go to far northern Wisconsin frequently and have never hit one although I have had near misses. The point is the driver is held to the same standard of situational awareness whether a female in ballet flats or a male in 6 inch stiletto pumps.HIH

Last year I was at a restaurant eating lunch and I was wearing black patent leather pumps with 5" high heels with my two-piece suit and tie. Three police detectives (displaying their shields and guns) walked in and walked right by my table. All three gave me stoic looks, walked on by, and paid no attention to me the rest of the time I was there. One other time, I was in our "Old Townes" section of our city and I was wearing jeans,polo shirt, and a pair of high heels with a 6.5" heel and 1.5" platform. As I was walking about the square, a police office came over to me and warned me about a group of young people that "might give me a hard time and possibly trouble because of my attire." H e reiterated that he didn't care what I was wearing and thought most people wouldn't even give a second look, but he was concerned with my safety and keeping the peace. I'm sure police officers have seen so many things, not much surprises them.

For young drivers I would recommend flat or low heeled shoes merely for the sake of learning the "feel" of the controls. Later with competence then test the difference and "relearn" the feel as I think many here have. I'm quicker more "boyracer" in flats, gentler more relaxed forward thinking in heels. Al

There are no laws in the United States regulating attire while driving and never will be. Traffic is regulated enough and, frankly, many are fed up with expansionist government as evidenced by the last election.

Focused on the bold, because it can't "never will be." Mississippi apparently proposed a law (that I learned of just recently) that would prohibit serving people considered obese in public restaurants. Sure, it's very stupid and pointless, but looking at this law kind of challenges the fact that it Could, in fact, happen (even though this one didn't make it). Maybe not internationally, but state-by-state, especially for something as minor as guys going around in public in heels. So we do need to consider the possibilities still, although far-fetched.

Formally "HHDude"

As pointed out, wearing heels isn't against the law, and by itself, won't incur any penalties. Neither is smoking, changing a radio station, or applying makeup (all in car). However, if someone hit me, claimed that they 'lost control', and I could prove they were putting on their lipstick at the time, and driving in 5" pumps, I think my lawyer would certainly didn't have control of the vehicle to the best of their ability. In a civil case, were you need a majority, not a unanimous verdict, that could be enough to cost you the case. As others mentioned, it really comes down to if you can operate the vehicle safely.

Actually I doubt that that would ever come up. It never appears on an insurance claim form.

The criteria for breaking the law (e.g. not being in full control of a vehicle) and for making an insurance claim are not necessarily the same - and in any event these are separate processes.

Having a motor accident of some kind, even though involving damage or injury, will not necessarily lead to any police interest - assuming of course that the incident was ever made known to them - let alone a possible prosecution. That is particularly so when no other vehicle was involved or there was a simple 'shunt' and the matter can be disposed of by the driver(s) and insurer(s) concerned.

Conversely, there may be a serious traffic offence committed and pursued without anything happening that requires an insurance claim by any party involved - simple speeding is the most obvious example. Any incident that leads to a prosecution or conviction must however be declared to the insurer (even if no claim has arisen) as it suggests a worsening risk.

Insurance claim forms are fairly standardised, but cannot ask specific questions about every possible factor. The onus is on the claimant to give full details of the incident and all relevant matters - which might include wearing shoes or clothing that impeded control. But a claim could not be denied simply because the driver lost control through wearing high heels as this is neither a specific offence (as is drink-driving) nor a breach of any specific condition of any motor policy that I have ever seen - yet!

So, carry on driving in heels if you wish - but mind how you go!

Focused on the bold, because it can't "never will be." Mississippi apparently proposed a law (that I learned of just recently) that would prohibit serving people considered obese in public restaurants. Sure, it's very stupid and pointless, but looking at this law kind of challenges the fact that it Could, in fact, happen (even though this one didn't make it). Maybe not internationally, but state-by-state, especially for something as minor as guys going around in public in heels. So we do need to consider the possibilities still, although far-fetched.

I think that state legislature has more to worry about than a handful of guys in their jurisdiction wearing heels. Obesity is a problem that probably costs the state quite a lot of money, here in the UK the treatment of obesity and dieases such as heart conditions and diabetes is a significant part of NHS spending. Banning men from wearing heels could cost in lost taxes because there's be fewer shoe sales and so less tax coming in from shoe shops. The amount they'd raise in fines would be trivial if non existent.

Having said all that, did you know that in Miami it is illegal for a man to wear a strapless evening gown?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Having said all that, did you know that in Miami it is illegal for a man to wear a strapless evening gown?

you have to be kidding, right? :silly: I've heard of silly laws before, but this takes the cake.