Problems with Law Enforcement / Police?

thighboots

Has anyone (particually in the UK) had any dealings / problems with the Police when out and about street heeling?? I only ask as its one of many concerns that spin round in my head - what if your out and about driving your car and you get pulled over for a 'routine check' - then out you step in your finest shoes / boots? I appreciate wearing heels is not a 'crime' - but I am not sure what reaction you would get?? and are you going to get labeled as some sort of sexual deviant? Would be great to hear anyones thoughts or experiences.

As far as The Netherlands is concerned I am 100% certain this would never pose any problems. As as far as my experience with the UK police goes they are quite a friendly bunch. Believe me: they'd much rather see a CD/TV (let alone someone wearing heels) than someone DUI!

They might advise you that driving in heels is risky but other than that there should be no problems at all. The police are trained to treat everyone with respect, regardless of how they're dressed. How can they think you're a pervert when you haven't done anything perverted? Believe me when I say this but unless they are a total rookie they will have seen it all before.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

They might advise you that driving in heels is risky but other than that there should be no problems at all. The police are trained to treat everyone with respect, regardless of how they're dressed. How can they think you're a pervert when you haven't done anything perverted?

Believe me when I say this but unless they are a total rookie they will have seen it all before.

I agree with Dr. Shoe. Just be careful driving while wearing high heels. If you aren't used to that or you have a new pair with a higher heel, you might take it easy.:roll:

Here in the US, police have seen it all and I'm sure a man in heels wouldn't even raise and eyebrow. Then again, did you ever consider that the cop that pulls you over might have a passion for heel also?

real men wear heels

I understand the concern for being pulled over and having to get out while wearing heels, but I can't understand the remarks made about driving in heels. To me car heeling is no different than wearing flats while operating a vehicle, except you have to be more careful about marring the finish of your heels on the debris in the car's carpet or pad.

I understand the concern for being pulled over and having to get out while wearing heels, but I can't understand the remarks made about driving in heels. To me car heeling is no different than wearing flats while operating a vehicle, except you have to be more careful about marring the finish of your heels on the debris in the car's carpet or pad.

You must understand that if you have an accident your insurance will almost certainly be invalidated if it is found that you were wearing heels.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I drive in heels often, but I have not yet been into a police check when wearing heels. But it will happen one day.... In the USA and the European countries, I can't imagine there any laws which forbid men to wear high heels. I know that in some EU countries there are general traffic regulations which state that you must avoid dangerous situations when driving. Wearing high heels could be interpreted as a dangerous situation. That may become a problem after an accident, for instance with insurance companies. I have once read a story about a Japanese girl being convicted because of wearing platform shoes when she caused a serious accident. When the police stops you, and they notice you are driving in, let's say 8 inch high stiletto's, you may get into trouble because of these general safety rules. But I don't want to scare you. When you drive in moderate high heels, I don't expect you will get in trouble. Especially when you feel safe driving in heels. Than your driving style will be a reason less for the police to stop you.

love to watch them on cute girls, love to wear them myself

You must understand that if you have an accident your insurance will almost certainly be invalidated if it is found that you were wearing heels.

Never! I don't know any women who take off their heels whilst driving. This would mean 50% of all female drivers would not be insured. Believe me, this would make headlines.

Of the millions of car insurance cases, may I challenge you to find a single case of an insurance company not paying because of heels?!

I'm rather paranoid when I'm behind the wheel, so I wear sneakers when I drive, then slip on heels after I arrive at my destination. But, getting back to the crux of this thread, why in hell should law enforcement personnel give a flaming damn what you're wearing on your feet unless you're committing a crime? Otherwise, it's none of their business. Plain and simple.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

i always carry a set of "standard issue" clothes and shoes when i go out and about dressed. i always leave myself an out. as far as the cops go,then can press the boundaries of their power and harass you if they really want to. like make you get out of the vehicle while all the traffic goes by,etc. but i say,if you cant handle that,then dont go out in public dressed up. i am not being elitist in this,but most of us are up to going in public in heels,etc. my advice would not be push it past your individual comfort level. i mean,if you cant have fun doing it,dont do it at all,i say.

Thanks for the comments, the thread seems to have attracted some good view points. I suppose it had just been a 'hang up' for me! PS - I love driving in heels, nothing to extravegant - just my 4inch heels! (the ones I am wearing in the avatar) :roll:

I have driven in 6" stiletto high heels before and had no problems. I drive in high heels all of the time. But, not to sound hypocritical, I do carry a pair of "safety shoes" with me while I am driving. The main reason I do is in case of a flat tire or other mechanical car problems. As far as the police are concerned, I think the one opionion is correct. It would depend on the police officer. If he or she wanted to "harass" you for wearing high heels, they could probaly think up some safety hazzard while driving in high heels. Although the fact that many, many women drive every day in high heels, that would be the rebutal argument.

Maybe I'd better talk with my insurance carrier and see for sure about such limitations and also to see if there is a double standard. I may have to find another carrier.

I have thought of a spare pair of shoes to take care of emergencies or what ever, but haven't done it yet. I'm kind of in the same mind as crotchboots-m, but I can now see a possible need for the extra pair. Thanks!

I live near NYC and I know several police officers. Both from the town I live in and towns not far away where a lot more happens and the stories that i have heard from all of them can be so bizarre that they almost don't sound real. But at the same time, knowing the imaginations of these particular people there is no way they could make them up. Any guy wearing heels would probably just be another traffic stop to them. I can also say that I have not always been the most law abiding driver and have been pulled over many times. Only once was I ever asked to get out of the car and that was because I forgot my wallet so I didn't have my license, registration, or insurance with me. The cop just wanted a quick look in the car to make sure there wasn't more to it. It was also a state trooper not a local town cop.

I have never been pulled over wearing heels or anything that would be obviously "outside the norm". Most of the officers that I know have been on the force for 20 years or more. So they have seen just about anything and everything you can imagine. Police officers are just exposed to so many people that are the dregs of society that a clean cut guy wearing heels is really no big deal. They might gossip a little bit if it is a smaller town where you would think a lot does not happen (but you would really be surprised how much does happen) but that would be it. The only time I was ever asked to get out of the car I was I think 17 or 18. The internet was still just a thought at that time. Not until fairly recently (last couple of years) have I been a lot more comfortable about wearing heels and the occasional skirt in the car let alone going into a store and buying any.

Just to put a new spin on the topic, what those of us who like to wear mini skirts and heels while driving, iam sure this would get the attention of the officer. Lets say i do know of a few that do this on a regular basis

give me more heels

As one who drives late at night quite a bit I have been stopped by the police a few times while wearing heels. The shoes have never caused a raise eyebrow, they're more interested in if I have had a drink or not. I've never been told heels are dangerous when driving either. Most women drive in their 4 inch heels. I've seen it, they just get straight in the car and drive off. No time for them to change. There must be countless accidents involving women driving in heels and I've never ever seen one report in a newspaper about their insurance being invalidated because of that. I don't think this can happen unless there is a clause in the policy, and to my knowledge there isn't in policies. To be honest, since you drive with the soles of your feet on the pedals, it hardly makes any difference if you have heels on or not. The type of shoe I wouldn't drive in is big platforms.

There was an episode of "Cops" (reality TV with actual police camera footage) where the police pulled over a guy, but were making light of the fact that he was in drag. "She" did not seem very amused at all. I recall they made her get out of the car to do a field sobriety test, but they at least blurred the face out. The officer didn't seem concerned, but the narration of the video was obviously trying to make fun of the fact that they had pulled over a crossdresser. I guess I can say don't drink and drive (you shouldn't anyway), but drinking and driving while going in drag could be worse. :roll:

Very interesting, Dr. Shoe, and I'm wondering if this true only in the UK....I'm going to ask my insurance agent.

Yes, I've been stopped by the police, while wearing HH and leather....near Kansas City, KS.

The story: I'm returning to my hotel after dinner and I get turned around on directions. Cop car sees me, apparently decides that either (a) I don't know where I'm going, (:roll: I'm DUI, or © all of the above. He pulls me over, calls for back-up, a second squad car, which suggests he's thinking option (:o.

The cop asks questions, I answer as politely and calmly as I can. He asks if I would step out of the vehicle.....there I am, in full leather: jacket, pants, gloves and 4" HH knee-hi boots...having a discussion with the officers about where I've been, what did I have for dinner, etc...I remained calm and pleasant throughout.

There was no issue; they gave me directions, realizing I was not DUI - just confused. No citation - I had done nothing wrong. But I must admit, I wasn't sure how that evening was going to end up. I was worried.

Mapquest.com is standard procedure for me now.

Dan

No bad / horror stories either, I guess I was unduly worried!

:roll:

TB: I wouldn't necessarily say "unduly worried". I think your concern is justified. There can always be the unfortunate instance of running into the narrow-minded individual, which can include law enforcement. Discrimination can still occurr in many forms, including appearances. I would say, though, that it seems to be reducing, which is encouraging. But those who have been affected by harassment, I believe, often don't wish to speak out, which is sad, especially in a forum that encourages open discussion.

Dan

My only problem while driving was when driving someone else's car. My daily car is a Ford Explorer (gas-guzzling SUV-I love it.) I was driving this tiny Hirohito-type car and found myself trying to stop; the car would not stop; I was inadvertantly pressing on the gas pedal, while putting on the brakes. This occurred while I was wearing a pair of Bastad clogs, which being wood, do not give the same "feedback" as would, for example, a pair of sneakers. No harm occurred, and I learned to use my left foot for brakes, right foot for accelerator. My other car is a 1965-vintage full-size car. Never have such a problem with it, or any other full-sized car.:roll:

... There must be countless accidents involving women driving in heels and I've never ever seen one report in a newspaper about their insurance being invalidated because of that. I don't think this can happen unless there is a clause in the policy, and to my knowledge there isn't in policies. ...

I've only just read the original suggestion (by Dr Shoe) that wearing heels when driving might invalidate motor insurance and the various responses, including that above. Motor insurance is essentially in place (and invariably compulsory) to respond to the effects of driver negligence and provide the injured third party with an independent source of restitution. Any cover for damage to the insured vehicle and personal effects etc is incidental. As long as the vehicle and driver have been correctly identified to the insurer, the driver holds a valid licence and the vehicle is roadworthy and being used fior a permitted purpose, the results of negligent driving (or worse) will normally be covered, even if the manner of driving or use gave rise to a criminal offence.

The insurer is not normally concerned with imposing restrictions or exclusions of cover relating to specific 'behavioural' aspects of the otherwise permitted use, such as driving in high heels (or within the speed limit, or even with one's eyes open!). I am certainly not aware of any such limitation in the UK, nor would I expect it in the US or elsewhere, but if it was imposed, it would be the subject of a very specific term of the policy.

I suppose it is just possible (given our ever-interfering nanny state) that one might in the future require a licence to wear 'dangerous footwear' in public - which will no doubt be granted in return for a hefty fee. And then it would be open to an insurer to require a driver to be so licensed if to drive in high heels - no licence, no cover. :roll:

As an aside, it should be appreciated that the consequences of a breach of an insurance contract are not always the same. If a fundamental term (warranty) is breached (e.g. the insured vehicle not being properly identified), it is likely that the whole contract of insurance will be declared void - no cover at all. If the breach related to a subsidiary term (e.g. using the vehicle for a non-permitted purpose, such as racing), the insurance contract as a whole remains valid but there will be no indemnity for any claim arising from an accident relating to that breach. And, whenever a vehicle is used without valid insurance, a criminal offence is committed.

After all of this discussion, I read my policy closely. There is nothing about high heels or unusual footwear hindering driving. However, there is a claus about driving barefooted, and in many states, is illegal, and in the event of an accident, subject to litigation.:roll: