What's Your Ceiling?

JeffB

I recently saw a pair of lizard print Blahnik pumps being auctioned on eBay for $400.00!!! WOW! Okay, so I know it's all about the brand name, still, that's a hell of a lot for a pair of shoes, one week's pay for me in fact! That got me to thinking about the most I've ever spent on a single pair of shoes, and that was $125.00 for a pair of black leather pumps from a store via mail order quite some time ago. And back then, spending that much made me squeamish, still, those were good shoes that looked and fit well. With that in mind, I pose this question to all of you: what's your ceiling? What's the most you'll pay for a single pair of shoes and still be able to justify the expense with a clear conscience?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

It depends on how much I like the shoes. Some styles I've seen are "drop dead" gorgeous" like (in my opinion) 'Christian Louboutin "Clichy" that I would absolutely expire for. However, as much as I would love to have a pair (I like the pastel blue color - but I would take the pastel green or white in place), I still haven't convinced myself that $400 or more for a man to pay for a pair of women's high heels for himself is a sane thing to do. (It's not the money, it's the principle ;) ) That being said, I have been looking at some of the classic pumps that are being sold on line by La Piazza. And, a couple of the styles I've been looking at cost more than $200, including shipping. Which is the price I've already paid for a pair of LSB black patent pumps with 7" heels. I guess this amount ($200) would have to be my upper limit.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I usually shop in the below $100 catagory, but if I see something that I find I must have, I'm willing to spend more.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I don't know that I really have a limit, more that I'd rather spend the money on variety. When I see a pair of shoes for $600 I think I would rather have 5 or 6 pairs at $100 each instead. I wear according to how I feel each day, so variety is a good thing. I'm pretty conservative, so black, closed toe, 4 inch or under is my shoe of choice. At 4 inches I start to walk really different. Since I'm obsessed with shoes I try to keep my buying options open!

$60 is my limit, considering I only wear mine around the house.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

mOST i PAID FOR A pair of shoes was $695 US + $360Canadian for postage and taxes. THey were a pair of jonny boots from ysl. I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY PICKED THEM FROM THE PACKAGE PLACE YET BUT i HOPE THEY ARE REALLY WORTH THE MONEY cause i HEAR SOME OF the celebs have them like lenny kravitz who has 8 pairs of these boots.

I usually stay under the $100.00 limit when buying a pair of heeled boots and under $20.00 to $35.00 for a pair of heeled shoes. I also try to find them on sale as I can get more value for less money. You have to do this because of being on a limited income and I still can find leather products within that range. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have actually bought cars for less than my Patrick Cox "Dragon boots" cost me. Mind you, I drive a '92 Sierra so most of the boots in my collection cost more than my car! ;)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

That's a good question, JeffB. I ask it of myself every time I shop shoes and boots. What am I willing to pay.... for me it comes down to how bad a case of "I WANT" I get at the time. Not that long ago, just finding a size 13 or 14 US was hard enough and usually in some specialty shop so the pair of shoes have been marked up a few times, I'd imagine. The most I've paid is $400.00 for a 5" kid leather thigh boot from Custom Shoe in Canada. That was some time ago, when my size wasn't readily available. I try to keep under $100.00 but if I find that special shoe or boot, I might go as high as $300. I intend to wear select pairs in public someday soon, so I don't mind payng a bit more for a good fit.

I appreciate the responses, everybody. As for myself, since size 13 wide (or 14 in medium) isn't available in stores, I've bought the majority of my shoes over the last several months via eBay. If memory serves, the mst I've spent on any one auction was around $60.00, but I don't remember which pair. I suppose I'd probably go as high as $100.00 if it was something really nice that I liked and came in my size. Like most of the folks here, I'm hardly rich, so I spend wisely! ;)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

While I have paid around $500 for a pair of boots (thigh high ballets from Qualifetish), my usual price limit is around $75-100. If I am spending that much it should be a pair that I plan to spend some time with. I've been considering some boots in the $150-300 range, but even the $150 one's I've been debating back and forth. I'm hoping to get some decent wedge boots, but I keep holding out to see if a better style comes avaliable, as the local stores are taking their time to switch out of Summer mode. I dont fault them, it's still 75 degree's in the morning and pushing 100 durring the day. Jazzy Cool: The YSL jonny boot's are interesting. A bit pricy, but I wonder if I could find them somewhere in Miami/Lauderdale... Probably in Bal Harbor shops... Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

My two most expensive pairs are my Qualifetish ballets (like JimC) both purchased at the same time during a bout of fiscal profligacy with the credit card (that one took a while to pay off ;) ). Usually I'd say (like others) that $100 would be the upper limit. The Internet helps as it makes it easier to shop around. Even from Internet sellers you have to remember to search out a cheaper dealer, often there can be better deals to be had. eBay is a popular option and one I've used a few times. You just have to decide on your max bid and stick to it. I've done the bidding war thing once but now try to let them go if I get outbid.

I'd have to say $70 is my current limit, as I have a hard time justifying anything above that. Like most here, since I shop for 13-15 in size, depending on the manufacturer, then I can readily find stuff that's affordable for me, and still stylish.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

hey jim, the jonny boots by ysl are a really hard to find boot especially from other sites like ebay and zappos. Even in the actual ysl stores where the boots sell for between $595 - $695 US, sizes are still hard to find. Like in the new york stores they sold out of a size 10. IN the florida area, where I had ordered my boots sent to canada, there is one ysl shop on bal harbour where the phone number is 1-305-868-4424. Or try www.ysl.com. It's actually better to go to the actual ysl store and see the boots for yourself. IT has about a 3 inch heel with a western dress style to it. Because the UPS charges me $360 for taxes and goods tariff expenses because the value of the boots was almost $600.

I paid $125 for a pair of over-the-knee black suede gaucho-heel boots from Zappo's once. These days, though, $30 is about my max, I'm afraid.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

That's not an easy question. I paid £150 + postage for my Dame boots from Duo, and am planning on spending £130 + postage on another pair from them as soon as I can get the money together. Usually I'd spend about half that on a pair of boots, but the ones from Duo are beautiful and I don't have to fight to zip them up. My conscience doesn't bother me when I consider my annual clothes budget, including heels, compared to my wife's. ;) Chris

The most I've spent so far is £28 on a pair of tan cowgirl boots from Matalan (I've just remembered!). A lot of my shoe purchases have been from charity stores or made with retail vouchers as I get £60 worth a month through work as a benefits package. I still have over £200 of Burton group (TopShop/Man; Burton; Miss Selfridge; Dorothy Perkins) vouchers to spend so a purchase of more pricey heels may be on the cards. Saw a nice pair of Mary-Janes in Miss Selfridge a month or so back. I'd say my limit would be between £80-100 (if I have the money). They would have to be exceptional footwear, good quality, something I REALLY want and last forever! Clarks have some great heeled boots (for around £70) this season and the quality looks great.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Heel-D:-) I could see where your work benefits package could be a tremendous help in keeping the cost of your shoe collection down. That's a perk that could be useful in anyone's employment package. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

First, I am fortunate that I wear a size 9-1/2 - 11 women's size. I can usually find shoes in junk stores that fit. There is one store where I often find shoes that have never been worn, name brands, and I only buy leather shoes. The regular price for shoes is $1.00. The shoe stores around here have shoes for $5.00 to $6.00 on sale racks. The most I paid was for a pair of womens cowboy (cowgirl) boots at a western store was $80. They are all leather and look great.

if i'm buying on the high street the most i would spend is about £120. which is wot i spent on a pair of overknee boots from faith. tho if they are custom made for me then i would spend more than that. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

I watch eBay and sales at some of the web sites and stores. Just got a super comfortable pair of silver chrome 6" platform slides in eBay for just under $10 ($17 including shipping!)

I don't think I've paid over $30 for a pair of shoes, and I'd likely never exceed $50. It's tough being a broke college-aged semi-shopaholic. I have to buy my shoes one pair at a time.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

This is true, but I can pretty much say with conviction that every time I bought a pair of shoes, I had to leave a pair or two, if not more, behind. It was always money that kept me from buying all the shoes I wanted, or even at least a second pair. That's why I like Buy One, Get One (half off/free) sales.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde