Boot "season"?

p1ng74

In the northern hemisphere people are starting to talk about "boot season" as temperatures are dropping towards autumn and winter.  I am curious how this affects choices of footwear in the high heel community, if at all.  

I personally cannot relate to "boot season" because I wear boots all year.  Some people thought I was crazy for wearing 16" shafts while standing out in 100 degrees F under the sun, but I still find leather boots way more comfortable than plastic sneakers and I will not run around a field in open toe shoes.  I enjoy the lift of my 2 1/4" riding heels, which is how I became interested in high heels.  

It a fashion no-no to wear tall boots in the summer?  Or does it just come down to being too hot?  Surely ankle boots are all season?  Women seem to wear cowboy boots all year, and pair them with shorts or skirts.  I suppose for those in colder climates where it gets wet and snowy, boots will keep your feet warm and dry compared to pumps.  Do boots offer more ankle support for walking in high heels?  

• Like 2

I've practically lived in hiking boots since university days - don't really own any shoes other than for going to the gym or cycling. I've always preferred boots to shoes. Boots certainly offer more ankle support, and I would guess that would hold true for walking in heels as well. I have worn knee boots in hot weather, mainly as protection against snakes and insects but also because they look nice with jeans.  But there does seem to be a definite "boot season", starting in the autumn. 

• Like 1

Yes there is a boot season. I have been wearing open toes sandals, wedges, block heel shoes since about May. I'll go a few more weeks before going to my closed toe heels. Only worn closed toed shoes (outside of kayaking or hiking) except for about 7-10 times this summer. I was asked by a woman that had only seen me in open toed shoes if I had closed toed shoes. I assured her I did. Plan to wear my knee high 4 inch suede boots with shorts next week, just for the fun of it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Boots and shorts I just don’t understand...

I know someone who is a cheerleader for an American NFL team and couldn't help but notice that short shorts and calf high boots is their standard uniform.  In that context, I think it is supposed to hide the lower legs and show off the thighs more.  

I only wear shorts occasionally, when it is really hot.  Since I won't give up my boots that is what I end up wearing with them when I step out of the house, which probably horrifies some people.  Perhaps I should just go all out and wear a kilt when it is that hot LOL.  

• Like 2

I seldom wear shorts either, except in the gym or cycling or maybe mowing the lawn.  I have worn shorts and hiking boots, but when hiking in the desert. 

Yes, cheerleaders can get away with boots and shorts - but then that is part of the costume, too, expecte. And they all have the right figures and polish to carry it off. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

In the northern hemisphere people are starting to talk about "boot season" as temperatures are dropping towards autumn and winter.  I am curious how this affects choices of footwear in the high heel community, if at all.  

I personally cannot relate to "boot season" because I wear boots all year.  Some people thought I was crazy for wearing 16" shafts while standing out in 100 degrees F under the sun, but I still find leather boots way more comfortable than plastic sneakers and I will not run around a field in open toe shoes.  I enjoy the lift of my 2 1/4" riding heels, which is how I became interested in high heels.  

It a fashion no-no to wear tall boots in the summer?  Or does it just come down to being too hot?  Surely ankle boots are all season?  Women seem to wear cowboy boots all year, and pair them with shorts or skirts.  I suppose for those in colder climates where it gets wet and snowy, boots will keep your feet warm and dry compared to pumps.  Do boots offer more ankle support for walking in high heels?  

Certainly in the uk boot season tends to refer to the availability in the shops, during the summer you only really find sandals and flip flops and light shoes whereas boots don’t really come into stock until mid August to the start of September hence “boot season”and I’ve noticed this year due to our exceptionally hot summer boots are actually quite late coming into stock, I’m with the majority of you though that boots season is all year round because i wear them all year round 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, maninboots said:

Certainly in the uk boot season tends to refer to the availability in the shops, during the summer you only really find sandals and flip flops and light shoes whereas boots don’t really come into stock until mid August to the start of September hence “boot season”and I’ve noticed this year due to our exceptionally hot summer boots are actually quite late coming into stock, I’m with the majority of you though that boots season is all year round because i wear them all year round 

Excellent point, I had not thought of it from a sales perspective!  Much more interesting than men's shoes, where they seem to sell the same things all year.  I might have to start walking around the shoe sections in department stores more, and start getting an appreciation of the changes throughout the year.  I suppose as summer ends there may even be discounts towards slip-on heels as they try to clear the stock... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I seldom wear shorts either, except in the gym or cycling or maybe mowing the lawn.  I have worn shorts and hiking boots, but when hiking in the desert. 

Shyheels, the lack of hot days in the UK would certainly limit the use of shorts. Today it was over 95 degrees F here. SHORTS weather for sure. Like mlroseplant I delay wear my closed toe heels as long as possible. But sometimes I want to have fun, hence knee high boots with short shorts.

• Like 2

Shyheels we are very different people. Living within blocks of the ocean and having a large swimming pool for decades leads to life of shorts. Going to work in heels with shorts or knee high boots are shorts maybe unthinkable to you where it's a "why not" for me. I enjoy my world (CaliWorld), you enjoy your world.

See pics of today's shorts over at Cali World. LOL

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I just cannot imagine

That says it all.

That's the difference between creating and reporting (what was created). Creating is the art of putting imagination into reality.  If you can't imagine you can't create.

If you can't imagine something then you have absolutely no chance of it ever happening.

Many years ago I couldn't imagine selling water in bottles to people. Boy was I wrong. Couldn't imagine Netflix making it when it went down to $10/share, or Apple when it hit $10/share..

Edited by Cali

Editing out of context says much too.

I spend most of my days imagining and creating. I am good at it. It's how I earn my living and have done for decades.  

As far as attire goes, I can wear whatever I choose in my office. I am self employed, work from home and can set whatever dress code I please. However, in order to maintain a work environment, I (along with most successful freelancers) make a point of dressing for the office, to create a sense in my mind that I have left the unbuttoned easiness of home behind and gone to work. For me, shorts are far too much like leisure wear. At that, I am very much more bohemian in my dress code than the late Tom Wolfe who believed it was repugnant to be without a tie. I doubt very much he worked in shorts either. Nor do I think he lacked imagination.

In your last sentence you make it sound as though my actions are inhibiting me from doing something that I aspire to or want. I don't aspire to work in shorts.

Edited by Shyheels

I agree with you all!  I feel like fashion is not as much about what you are wearing, but more about what you are thinking when you choose what to wear, and what that then communicates to other people!  

Shyheels what you say is true in much of America too.  People choose to wear shorts when they go cycling or to the gym, and there is a strong association with it.  If someone showed up to the office in shorts, we would mostly assume that there was an emergency that interrupted their workout and they were not planning to come to the office.  And like you said this applies for all different climates and seasons.  

Cali, I did not have full appreciation of the effect of the beach until I visited Santa Barbara.  I was all dressed up to attend a classical music concert, but I had some time and swung by the beach on the way.  I could not fully enjoy the beach in my trousers, and when I looked around at the other people there I discovered what was I doing wrong.  This was a posh area, and many men were wearing suits not with trousers, but light wool shorts matching their jacket!  Near the beach, there are many more reasons and types of shorts to wear that would not be automatically associated with cycling or a workout, which gives you opportunity.  

Regional effects aside, I have also learned the power of your personal style.  I basically abandoned wearing shorts when I became a teenager.  When I took my first job in high school, I often went directly between school and the office and would have to make sure I was dressed for both.  Besides, I associated shorts with being a little boy, being dressed for play time rather than doing business.  One hot summer day I met up with some friends, and since I was not working that day I wore cargo shorts.  The first thing my friends said when they saw me was "wow I have never seen you in shorts before".  My shorts drew as much attention as if I had shown up in a skirt or something.  Based on my personal style, I communicated that I made a deliberate decision to wear something that day, in this case shorts, and everyone is now giving me response, and probably also now looking at my legs and socks, etc.  From that point on, I realized if I were going to wear a pair of shorts, it better be a darn good outfit, since it will draw that kind of attention.  I better not be looking like I forgot to put some pants on when got out of bed.  

So when I do wear shorts, I go for the Steve Irwin look.  I'm working on something outside, getting wet, getting dirty, and need pockets.  Boots that fit the calves of course, plus everyone will be looking at my legs.  My wife said that the diamond inlays remind her of snakes, which has only solidified my choice of footwear for this.  

921354116_IMG_5095(2).thumb.JPG.94df92748d3a39864b44422d5c30b5c1.JPG

• Like 2

p1ng74,

Good timing on the question. A cold front just blasted into the Midwest and I decided to wear my pair of Exiliaration knee boots from Target with 5" stiletto heels because it was a 21 degree drop from yesterday. We need another 21 degree drop to get rid of these damn mosquitoes here. I think September is a transition month between open-toed styles and closed-toe ones. HappyinHeels

• Like 3

On 9/21/2018 at 1:41 AM, Shyheels said:

Editing out of context says much too.

It really not out of context. Shyheels you seem to contradict my observation every chance you get. I mention that I'm seeing a lot of men in "man-buns" or something else and you quick to say you don't believe it or see it. It's because my world is very different from yours 

I live in a world very different from yours. I live in an area on the coast that is more like a resort close to Silicon Valley. The sun shines. Teslas and million "cottages". Shorts are common if not the norm. Most in long pants are tourist who don't know any better. The contractors/freelancers I know (and I am one) don't feel the need to "dress for their home office". Maybe in your world this is the norm, but it's not the norm in my world. I don't get my inspiration from my clothing and my clothing has not part in my writing.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:30 AM, p1ng74 said:

So when I do wear shorts, I go for the Steve Irwin look.  I'm working on something outside, getting wet, getting dirty, and need pockets.  Boots that fit the calves of course, plus everyone will be looking at my legs.  My wife said that the diamond inlays remind her of snakes, which has only solidified my choice of footwear for this.  

921354116_IMG_5095(2).thumb.JPG.94df92748d3a39864b44422d5c30b5c1.JPG

Just stay away from rays.

Edited by Cali

Your “observation” in your previous post, Cali, was about me personally, not about any difference in our worlds, and it was utterly incorrect so yes, I am going to contradict you.

I’ve no doubt the Arcadian world you describe in California is different than the Andy Capp one I inhabit here in Sussex

Edited by Shyheels

It seems that even though we come from different "worlds", we are all human :)  And perhaps here we can be happy that even if we choose to wear different styles in our home office, at least we care about what we are wearing, which is why I really like this place I have found here.  I work from home and have many colleagues that do so as well.  I cringe every time I hear them say, "I love working from home because I don't have to think about what to wear."  It seems like here, our attitude is more of, "I love working from home because I can wear what I think looks good without being judged."

1 hour ago, Cali said:

Just stay away from rays.

LOL when I first read this I spent a minute fantasizing about some sting ray boots, and wondering why I should stay away from them... and then I remembered that the context here is Steve Irwin

Edited by p1ng74
typo

I have worked from home for over twenty years. It is funny how people who don’t work from home imagine that those of us who do lounge around in our pyjamas all day and need make no effort to look presentable.  As you say, it can be quite liberating to take that license to wear what you like and use it for self expression. 

I have worked from my "home office" for over 33 years as well as worked outside of my home. Author, illustrator, editor, ghost writer, marketing director, ..... sciences, hardware, software, wine, extraterrestrial, ...

Now I'm semiretired with other projects going on; I work about 110 days a year, enjoy 4 day weekends, and I have fun.

So knee boots and shorts....as SF says, "Why should girls have all the fun"

1 hour ago, Cali said:

So knee boots and shorts....as SF says, "Why should girls have all the fun"

Good to know that I am not the only one thinking fun knee boots in the summer despite it not being boot season, whether it be with shorts or pants.  I don’t think I would be able to keep boots in storage for a whole summer season, I like them too much.  

• Like 2

In my neck of the woods, it gets too damn hot in the summer to even entertain the notion of wearing knee boots, unless it's the rubber variety for rainy days, but then, I never go on outings when it rains, so that's a non-starter. However, I've seen short shaft combat boots worn in warm weather (I've done that myself) and they're mostly comfortable for the conditions. Otherwise, I wait for cooler temps starting in late September/early October to break out the knee boots.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

All,

The three-month outlook is out and it calls for October to be cooler than normal in the Midwest and parts of the Northeast and near normal to warmer than normal everywhere else. November and December are expected to be cooler than normal in Texas and the Gulf Coast but warmer than normal across the entire northern third of the USA and much of southern Canada. This latter forecast is a classic sign of an El Nino winter pattern. Winters in Wisconsin are quite long in any scenario it's just the number of nights below zero F and the seasonal snow that people notice most. The boot season will be long enough for most boot lovers. What has my attention is how much rain has fallen in the East and Southeast. I would think 5" extra might help one rise above all the water laying around. There are some areas in the Carolinas which will have recorded more than 100"/254cm of rain this year and more than 75"/190cm of rain in Pennsylvania. That's more than falls in most parts of Brazil in a year! See how I mix heels and weather?? Keeps it more interesting for the audience.  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

It’s been really muddy here these last two weeks, and the boots have been keeping the mud off my trousers.  Lift from heels helps keep the feet higher from the mud, though I imagine this is only true of block heels, as stilettos would sink more?  What do all you high heelers do for muddy terrain?  

I went to an outdoor wedding once where it seems most of the guests were from out of state, because I was the only one wearing dress boots.  It had rained recently, but many people still showed up in open toe shoes.  There were no disasters, but people were commenting that I had picked the right footwear for the situation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyinHeels said:

All,

The three-month outlook is out and it calls for October to be cooler than normal in the Midwest and parts of the Northeast and near normal to warmer than normal everywhere else. November and December are expected to be cooler than normal in Texas and the Gulf Coast but warmer than normal across the entire northern third of the USA and much of southern Canada. This latter forecast is a classic sign of an El Nino winter pattern. Winters in Wisconsin are quite long in any scenario it's just the number of nights below zero F and the seasonal snow that people notice most. The boot season will be long enough for most boot lovers. What has my attention is how much rain has fallen in the East and Southeast. I would think 5" extra might help one rise above all the water laying around. There are some areas in the Carolinas which will have recorded more than 100"/254cm of rain this year and more than 75"/190cm of rain in Pennsylvania. That's more than falls in most parts of Brazil in a year! See how I mix heels and weather?? Keeps it more interesting for the audience.  HappyinHeels

Curious weather fact - did you know that London and Barcelona receive pretty much the same average rainfall?