Jump to content

Cali World


Cali
 Share

Recommended Posts

We have had lows in the single digits for a week, but many years ago. I remember climbing under my house in 15 degree temp and replacing a burst pipe. It was not fun. I'm a skier, I have driven 1000's of miles in blizzard conditions so I don't envy you right now. Stay warm and safe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Today is the beginning of the Big Melt here in central Iowa.

Today already?  Wow, we don't see above freezing until Monday......and we have more snow coming Sunday.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fall 2019 I took a leap and bought the leopard print sherpa shown elsewhere. Its been an unbelievable purchase. It's warm and comfortable. I get lots of double takes Today I wore it to do some shopping. At Costco 3 men complimented me on it.  The male exit checker at Costco wanted to know how I could walk in heels. I laughed.  Then at a drug store, a woman leopard print fan and I had a conversation about leopard prints and masks (I had a leopard print mask on too).  She ended it with "Now all you need is a pair of leopard print heels."

Edited by Cali
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

This weekend I went to Los Angeles via the coastal route, Highway 101. I had several compliments on my Agenda lace-up booties.

But today on the way home I came across this in a field next to the freeway.  It's near some Hollywood star homes along the coast. Certainly caught my attention (and I was doing about 90ish).

https://keyt.com/news/ventura-county/2021/02/22/giant-red-stiletto-gives-commuters-something-to-ponder/

Big_red-shoe.jpg

I really surprise that nobody has said anything about this giant red stiletto.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Today was a errand day.

I got my Charles David wedges in the mail last (see below) from DSW, but they didn't fit so I decided to take them back in person and see what was happening at the local DSW.  The woman who took them back asked what was wrong them and I told her they just didn't fit.  Her said " too bad because they are really cute." They were a cute snake print but as I always say, "life's too short for heels that hurt."

snake.thumb.jpg.0d5bf6e871e31097cba80ef39062e973.jpg

After returning the heels I took a walk around the store to see (and try-on) at what they had on their floor.  This DSW has about 60+ aisles of shoes, typical 36+ aisles are women's.  Today there was only about 32 aisles of women's shoes, 15 aisles devoted to athletic or sneakers. Another two aisle were flat sandals. Only two aisles with real heels. Sad state of shoes. I tried on several pairs but nothing fit.

After another stop, I ventured to my local boutique. They know what I like and when I entered the empty store the manager told be they had gotten anything in my height in the last month. She also said that they can't keep sneakers in stock. Again too bad.  But just outside the store, I did see a woman walk past me in 4 inch block heels. 

The next stop was costco and in the store I saw a women in red velvet knee high boots with a slim 4 inch block heels.

Edited by Cali
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you're seeing seems to be the norm, though I must admit to having seen three different women wearing stilettos that I estimated at about 4" in the last week.  I hadn't seen three women in heels in the last four months or so, so it was a surprise and a pleasant one at that.  I just wouldn't expect to see a lot of heels any time soon though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, Cali said:

Today was a errand day.

I got my Charles David wedges in the mail last (see below) from DSW, but they didn't fit so I decided to take them back in person and see what was happening at the local DSW.  The woman who took them back asked what was wrong them and I told her they just didn't fit.  Her said " too bad because they are really cute." They were a cute snake print but as I always say, "life's too short for heels that hurt."

After returning the heels I took a walk around the store to see (and try-on) at what they had on their floor.  This DSW has about 60+ aisles of shoes, typical 36+ aisles are women's.  Today there was only about 32 aisles of women's shoes, 15 aisles devoted to athletic or sneakers. Another two aisle were flat sandals. Only two aisles with real heels. Sad state of shoes. I tried on several pairs but nothing fit.

After another stop, I ventured to my local boutique. They know what I like and when I entered the empty store the manager told be they had gotten anything in my height in the last month. She also said that they can't keep sneakers in stock. Again too bad.  But just outside the store, I did see a woman walk past me in 4 inch block heels. 

The next stop was costco and in the store I saw a women in red velvet knee high boots with a slim 4 inch block heels.

I can't think of the last time I bought sneakers. I know I've been wearing the same pair for going on 10 years now, and it looks like it. I did buy a couple of pairs of those Nike Sky Highs back in 2016. I bought them for a very specific purpose, and the purpose no longer exists. Nevertheless, I should attempt to bring them back into service. There is nothing wrong with them, I just don't really like them, mainly because they're high top.

I have also seen a very few heels around town lately, but I don't go anywhere near  a business district during business hours, so the heels I see are worn casually at Costco or wherever. Wedges and chunkier heels are all I've seen so far this year. However, *I* did wear stilettos to Costco last week, so maybe that counts for something!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

 

On 4/27/2021 at 3:25 AM, mlroseplant said:

I can't think of the last time I bought sneakers. I know I've been wearing the same pair for going on 10 years now, and it looks like it. I did buy a couple of pairs of those Nike Sky Highs back in 2016. I bought them for a very specific purpose, and the purpose no longer exists. Nevertheless, I should attempt to bring them back into service. There is nothing wrong with them, I just don't really like them, mainly because they're high top.

Sneakers where my entry into women's shoes.  I was looking for shoes that were made to fit my foot instead of trying to fit my feet to sneakers. I came to the conclusion that I had feet shape more like a woman so I bought a cheap pair of women's sneakers and they fit better than any pair of men's ever had.  I haven't bought any men's shoes since then.

 

================

There's a thread of whether your heels have distracted anyone but I can't find it.  But here today's story.

We have a open air Sunday farmers market held in the corner of a shopping centers parking lot.  This morning, a woman walking towards me spotted my heels and then tripped over a speed bump and another guy walked into a bush when he turned around to get a better look at my wedges.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So a new thing for me at Costco. The membership woman checking membership cards at the door told me she doesn't know many customers, but she knows me;  I don't need to show my card.  Wonder why?🙃

Edited by Cali
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Cali said:

So a new thing for me at Costco. The membership woman checking membership cards at the door told me she doesn't know many customers, but she knows me;  I don't need to show my card.  Wonder why?🙃

My Costco gal told me it was because of my wonderful smile (I was wearing a mask at the time). I wonder why she didn't like to say the real reason out loud? What she should have said is that she knows me because I am the guy with the striking Asian wife who never wears the same dress twice to visit Costco. That in and of itself would be highly distinguishing!

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm in high heels almost every time I go out and even around my house.  As a result I get comments about once or twice a week.  Last week it was while waiting in line at the Post Office when a woman several people behind me told me she loved my wedges.

Today I was pumping gas (petrol) when a car drove into the adjacent aisle. I could tell that the passenger was talking about my shoes to the driver.  After the driver got out to pump their gas, the passenger lower her window and told me how much she just loves my heels. I smiled and thanked her.

 

Edited by Cali
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got good news.  I visited the shoe boutique in town the other day.  The manager came over to talk with me. She knows that I want at least a 4 inch difference between the toes and the heel. They only had one model in that range but not in my size.  But here's the good news.  Since our state is opening up a bit and women are going back to work, she said that the women have been asking for heels again.  So the next shipment they have already ordered will have a lot more heels, higher heels.  I hope you see this trend in your neck of the woods.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cali said:

I got good news.  I visited the shoe boutique in town the other day.  The manager came over to talk with me. She knows that I want at least a 4 inch difference between the toes and the heel. They only had one model in that range but not in my size.  But here's the good news.  Since our state is opening up a bit and women are going back to work, she said that the women have been asking for heels again.  So the next shipment they have already ordered will have a lot more heels, higher heels.  I hope you see this trend in your neck of the woods.

I know you’re not terribly far from me. What store are you visiting?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike:  That's why I hope this trend to higher heels is taking place in your area as well.  Don't forget about our South America and Australian and New Zealand members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cali said:

Mike:  That's why I hope this trend to higher heels is taking place in your area as well.  Don't forget about our South America and Australian and New Zealand members.

As I posted elsewhere, I did see a number of heels out at the farmer's market the other night, and I have noticed it on multiple weeks. Well, they call it a farmer's market, but it's much more like a weekly street festival than it is a farmer's market. Maybe heels are making a comeback! Nah, but it's fun to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I stop by the boutique shoe store downtown. The manage and a worker were working on a display between customers. The manager complained that their dhippments of ordered heels are being delayed.  Their shipment of ordered heels that was scheduled for delivery on August 1 might coming around Sept. 15.

She is getting the Jessica Simpson Fall and Winter catalogs and the next time I'm there she'll let me order from it at dealer prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a global supply chain shortage at the moment. Building materials and semi conductors are the largest hit, many other items are also being tanked. The Evergreen Evergiven in the Suez incident is still to properly clear, and the fact there’s a global container shortage.

In short, this shortage will continue for the next couple of years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I got a wild look the other day from a passing car while loading sacks of concrete into my SUV in my 4 inch wedges.  I've been getting those long looks and stares lately were you know they are going to talk about you as soon as you leave the area.  At least they now have something to talk about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Got a whisper compliment today. I was walking out of the Post Office while this woman was walking in.  I was a foot or two pass her and I heard this very very faint "nice heels."  That's the softest compliment I've ever gotten.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cali said:

 That's the softest compliment I've ever gotten.

Maybe it was the most honest compliment, because it wasn't meant to please You but the expression of a momentary feeling of someone. 👍

  • Like 1

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

The Re-Learning curve.  

I have been lazy for the 7 – 8 months and have been wearing my Steve Madden Estrellas everywhere.  I just love these mules and even with the hundreds of miles these have seen, I not ready to give them. I can slide them on as I get out of bed.  I even have another new pair in a box in the ‘Heel Library’.  You can see from the photo below the contrast between the two pairs.  But they are “short”, only a little over a 3.5-inch difference between the heel and the platform.

oldSMh.jpg

oldVNewh.jpg

However, we are expecting a period where we will be getting rain and the open toe just wont work. So, I pulled out a pair of black Nine West Kimy leather knee high today, see photo in boot thread.  They have a 4.5-inch heel and no platform.  That inch is significant since it been a while, I wanted to get use to them again. I plan to wear them to the doctor’s tomorrow (the front desk staff will go nuts.). So, I wore them to run some errands and then around the house for 4 more hours.  By that time I was use to the height again.  Below is a picture of my wine colored pair.

wine kimy wJeansH.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

** Unicorn Sighting **

Today at the doctor's office one of the receptionist had booties with about a 1 inch platform and a 5+ inch heel.

 

Of course, I had my black knee highs boots on.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cali said:

** Unicorn Sighting **

Today at the doctor's office one of the receptionist had booties with about a 1 inch platform and a 5+ inch heel.

 

Of course, I had my black knee highs boots on.

Yeah buddy, lovin those boots!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, Cali said:

The Re-Learning curve.  

I have been lazy for the 7 – 8 months and have been wearing my Steve Madden Estrellas everywhere.  I just love these mules and even with the hundreds of miles these have seen, I not ready to give them. I can slide them on as I get out of bed.  I even have another new pair in a box in the ‘Heel Library’.  You can see from the photo below the contrast between the two pairs.  But they are “short”, only a little over a 3.5-inch difference between the heel and the platform.

oldSMh.jpg

oldVNewh.jpg

However, we are expecting a period where we will be getting rain and the open toe just wont work. So, I pulled out a pair of black Nine West Kimy leather knee high today, see photo in boot thread.  They have a 4.5-inch heel and no platform.  That inch is significant since it been a while, I wanted to get use to them again. I plan to wear them to the doctor’s tomorrow (the front desk staff will go nuts.). So, I wore them to run some errands and then around the house for 4 more hours.  By that time I was use to the height again.  Below is a picture of my wine colored pair.

wine kimy wJeansH.jpg

How does the Kimy fit around the calf?

I don’t think I’ve seen that style before

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

How does the Kimy fit around the calf?

I don’t think I’ve seen that style before

I got these last year (Nov. 2020) on a black Friday special from Macy's.  Liked them so much that I got a pair in Wine (dark red). They are snug (not tight) on my calves, but I have large calves.

 Heel height - 4.33"
 Shaft height - 15.36"
 Shaft circumference - 12.6"
 Shoe width - Medium
 Zipper closure
 Round toe
 Leather
 Spot Clean
 Imported

========

The unicorns must have come out from hiding.  Saw at least 5 women in Costco in 3.5 plus inch boots over the weekend. The most at one time since forever.

Today at my doctor office a women came in with 5+ inch heels (3/4 inch platform) OTK boots.  I did get a chance to talk to her, but as we pass each other (me going out and her going, I told I liked her boots.  She responded that she liked my boots as well.

The down side, the doctor had crocs on. UGH!!!!

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Cali said:

I got these last year (Nov. 2020) on a black Friday special from Macy's.  Liked them so much that I got a pair in Wine (dark red). They are snug (not tight) on my calves, but I have large calves.

 Heel height - 4.33"
 Shaft height - 15.36"
Shaft circumference - 12.6"

 

I don't see how this could possibly be right. As you can see below, my calves are bigger than that. I realize there's nothing in the photo for context other than the tape measure, but you know from many other photos that I don't have anything even approaching big calves.

CalfMeasurement.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using High Heel Place, you agree to our Terms of Use.