Just tapped out the metal heels on these shoes and installed #8-32UNC hardened cap screws.

Fully expect these to last the remaining life of these shoes. Used a drill press and hand tap.

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

• Like 1

Where can I find replacements for the plastic end on my block style heels.  Specifically for Madden Girl calf boots.

I've got to learn how to replace the tips myself, wear em down about once every couple of months...

On 12/01/2018 at 1:18 AM, pebblesf said:

I've got to learn how to replace the tips myself, wear em down about once every couple of months...

Certainly much cheaper than getting them done 'professionally'.

Tips are esy to replace, I have tons of spares in different sizes. My problem with these was the shank diameter was too large on the shoe itself so no way to press in a new tip. I realized the heel outside diameter was close to the head of that size cap screw so I thought why not try it. The heel itself is all metal from the upper flared part down so plenty of material to drill out and fit the thread.

On 15/01/2018 at 2:59 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Tips are esy to replace, I have tons of spares in different sizes. My problem with these was the shank diameter was too large on the shoe itself so no way to press in a new tip. I realized the heel outside diameter was close to the head of that size cap screw so I thought why not try it. The heel itself is all metal from the upper flared part down so plenty of material to drill out and fit the thread.

A very good idea when the cap screw head o/d matches the (round) heel profile!   If the head is a little larger, and/or has a knurled edge as many do, grip the threaded part of the screw in the chuck of an electric drill and, ideally with the drill clamped in a vice or similar, use a file to reduce the o/d of the head - or acquire a lathe to like purpose!   

Interesting that you still use UNC threads - pretty well obsolete in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, but still to be found.   Obviously, the thread type doesn't matter provided you have the matching tap in metric or whatever else is available.   I have screwing tackle and screws in both metric and BA (British Association) sizes - the latter (a metric thread) being for many years the standard thread for instrument-making and much model-making, although now largely superseded by true 'standard' metric threads.

In the US, metric is about 50%. Automotive is the primary use. Pretty much all else is still UN, C-F-EF-J. Put J in front for fillet root radius threads used in all military applications.