New Heel Tips

On 12/01/2018 at 1:18 AM, pebblesf said:

I've got to learn how to replace the tips myself, wear em down about once every couple of months...

Certainly much cheaper than getting them done 'professionally'.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Tips are esy to replace, I have tons of spares in different sizes. My problem with these was the shank diameter was too large on the shoe itself so no way to press in a new tip. I realized the heel outside diameter was close to the head of that size cap screw so I thought why not try it. The heel itself is all metal from the upper flared part down so plenty of material to drill out and fit the thread.

On 15/01/2018 at 2:59 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Tips are esy to replace, I have tons of spares in different sizes. My problem with these was the shank diameter was too large on the shoe itself so no way to press in a new tip. I realized the heel outside diameter was close to the head of that size cap screw so I thought why not try it. The heel itself is all metal from the upper flared part down so plenty of material to drill out and fit the thread.

A very good idea when the cap screw head o/d matches the (round) heel profile!   If the head is a little larger, and/or has a knurled edge as many do, grip the threaded part of the screw in the chuck of an electric drill and, ideally with the drill clamped in a vice or similar, use a file to reduce the o/d of the head - or acquire a lathe to like purpose!   

Interesting that you still use UNC threads - pretty well obsolete in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, but still to be found.   Obviously, the thread type doesn't matter provided you have the matching tap in metric or whatever else is available.   I have screwing tackle and screws in both metric and BA (British Association) sizes - the latter (a metric thread) being for many years the standard thread for instrument-making and much model-making, although now largely superseded by true 'standard' metric threads.

• 1 year later...

I did that same thing to the pair being worn in my picture to the left.

Worked great got a lot of attention because they were loud.

Screws are still good but the shoes are done for  and not replaceable.

5.5 Thrill.

• Like 1

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

As long as this thread is resurrected, I've just thought of a question. How are those to walk in on slick surfaces, such as polished tile floors? I have a particular grocery store that I can't wear certain shoes into until I get around to replacing the heel tips with rubber, unless I want to look like a complete fool. I would think those metal tips would skate right out from under me, and leave a huge mark on the floor in the process of it rising up to meet me. Except for that one fear, I rather like your idea. Permission to steal it and use it?

• Like 1

Permission is not required. I really understand the problem with smooth hard floors and have had heels slip on occasion. These shoes are well balanced, i.e. the heel is not too far back or forward and as such i seem to be able to walk much easier in them. I also don't wear this pair all that often anyway. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I think that any guy who wears heels should invest in a heel repair kit. I did. I have a wide assortment of heel tips that I can use to repair my heels. Far cheaper than going to have it done by someone else.

When I replace my heel tips I make sure to carefully remove the damaged or worn tip. I then make sure that the end of the heel is flat before installing a new tip. I select a tip that fits well into the hole and the tip is about the correct size and shape for the heel. Once I have the tip fully seated in the heel. I take my Dremel tool and carefully shape the tip to match the contour of the heel. Once that is close I use a buffing heel to make it perfect. If needed, once that is all done I will color polish to match the color of the tip to the heel color. Now I may be more anal about this than some, but I want the heel repair to look perfect.

Ciao!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking for replacement tips for block heels.

This is a Madden Girl boot. Love these books, have 3 pairs but need to replace the block heels. Any suggest where to find them?

Fix03HH.jpg

Fix04HH.jpg

Fix05HH.jpg

I fix them like this. First, fill the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust. After hardening, I grind straight. Then I stick normal rubber, like on men's shoes.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:44 PM, dagino said:

I fix them like this. First, fill the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust. After hardening, I grind straight. Then I stick normal rubber, like on men's shoes.

Easier still is to shape a piece of softwood to fit the cavity and wedge/glue it in.   Then add glued-on rubber or composition heel piece, preferably also nailed into wood with brass nails.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
13 hours ago, onemikestomp said:

Fantastic metal heel tips. Had similar myself. I was impressed by the dents it leaves on many types of floors: Wood Lino and similar...

Where do you get your metal replacement tops?

• 1 year later...

Loving your work. I did this to a few pairs of my ex wives heels. They were very resilient, and left great marks in anything soft. That style of shoe reminded me of a pair I found in a ‘dress up box’ at my grandmas when I was a teenager. They actually had a warning label under the sole to say they were fashion footwear, and manufacturer wasn’t responsible for damage caused by the footwear. I was young, and didn’t understand the correlation at the time. And I swear they had 1/4” metal tips, so they sure would have been dangerous. How did these ones wear for you?