Buying Womens Shoes

Curt

Would you cats still buy womens shoes if they made guys heels that were sexy? I don't like the look of the stiletto, but I like heels not so quite chunky anymore. I love zip up boots with big heels or wedges. This winter I want to get some nice kneehigh wedge boots with 4 inch heels. the only designer that would make these for men would be rick owens. I don't exactly have 2 grand to spend on boots. So I would have no problem shopping at nine west. Do you guys find it uneasy shopping for woman boots? I would like to go in and try them on like its no big deal.

If they made cute heels for men, I would be all over it. Finding shoes in my size(12w) is a pain to say the least. I am also limited by my budget so payless, lane bryant and ebay are my options. As for going in and buying them, I don't have a problem any more strolling in and trying on some heels in the store. I would also like to get a pair of heeled snow type boots for winter. -Nikki

bootcat, Let me tell you why I think we buy women's shoes as opposed to high heels marketed as "men's shoes". Part of it is that women's shoes, and retail outlets that sell them, are everywhere and the styles, colors, and choices are endless and at affordable prices. What I have seen is that companies and/or stores really inflate prices if it relates to crossdressing or marketing to men no matter what it is. The same exact dress "designed for men" costs almost $100 whereas it will be only $40 in the women['s aisle. Hose, shoes, etc. marketed to men are always much more. Sure you can buy "men's shoes" and get royally ripped off in the process. As far as feeling uneasy shopping for women's shoes the only obstacle is the one you build in your own head. Get in there and try on the heels of your choice today! HappyinHeels

I've really stopped thinking of it as "the womens department", it's just the department that has all the nice shoes (and customers who love them), whether they start marketing them to men or not is really of no consequence to me (though I guess it'd be helpful for those looking for larger sizes). Personally I've had only positive experiences trying on boots (from ankle-boots to knee-high boots) in stores, mostly self-service where I just pick them off the rack, take a seat and try them on. I've also had a couple of experiences in stores where the assistant has to bring the boots from the storeroom: in one instance they brought them (my green suede kneehighs) and politely excused themselves, in another instance (my brown ankle boots) the assistant stayed while I tried them on, which was nice but was actually my first time admitting that the heels were for me, so I was too nervous/inexperienced to take advantage and ask for their opinions and advice. You kind of have to take responsibility to make it the experience you want it to be. My advice would be to smile and be pleasant to the sales staff (someone being nice to them may be just as much asurprise them as a guy wanting to try on heels). Also if you wear a suitable outfit that goes with the boots you want to try on, I think that can make the whole experience more comfortable and enjoyable for you, and makes it easier for staff and other customers to accept you and treat you just like any other customer. Good luck, most likely you'll wonder what all the fuss was about after you've done it.

post-12051-0-59835000-1342569759_thumb.j

post-12051-0-50141300-1342569790_thumb.j

Edited by SleekHeels

If you like it, wear it.

I went for the first time to buy boots at a womens shoe store. Its called scarpino in toronto, on queen west. No fiunny looks at all. The store was full of women at the time. It was saturday afternoon. I showed the girl what I wanted and to get it in a size 10. She gave to boots to me to try on. They are 3" kneehigh zip-ups. Funny, the zipper is on outside of the boot. Not used to that. I won't go any higher than 3.5" anymore! I do a lot of walking. I have to be comfortable. If you're in toronto, check them out! The other people on this site are right, you won't be frowned upon from buying womens shoes. It's a potential sale for them. For me, shoes and boots are fashion, not gender wise. Us guys owe it to ourselves to have a little flair in our style!

Congratulations on your first shoe store visit trying on women's footwear, bootcat. As you too have now discovered, it's no big deal.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Nice one bootcat! That is unusual with the zipper on the outside, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on with that. Is it easy to find boots in Toronto during the summer? (Having said that most people in the UK seem to have been wearing their winter gear until the sunshine finally arrived this week). It sounds like you felt really comfortable with the whole experience. Did you have much interaction with the sales assistant or with other customers?

Edited by SleekHeels

If you like it, wear it.

bootcat, You see, no mob lynching, no tv cameras, no imaginary bogeymen to ruin your day! You were just another customer in the store which is exacty how you want it. Appear like you belong there and everything should go fine. If one day you decide to do it try and wear some heels while you shop either for shoes or for other things and it adds a different perspective. I honestly think you could wear about ANY kind of heel shopping on Yonge or Bloor Streets in Toronto since it's a pretty hip place and it has pretty good nightlife although not quite on par with Montreal or Vancouver, yet. Glad your first trip went so well and don't hesitate to go shoppng again soon. ZIppers on the outside of the boots are rare and I have no such pairs. HappyinHeels

I tried on in a store the first time ever Saturday. Admittadly they were Frye Campus boots in Ladies 11. (They used to at least make them for men way back when) They fit, though a bit tight in width but better than than the foot slopping around like they do in men's 10. Nobody bothered me, it was a Nordstrom Rack store about 25 miles from here. I bought them and left without any incident. The cashier was nice, checked that they both were the same size. Probably with that style they thought nothing about it. The pair bought before these last month I used my hands to kind of check the width and then tried on in the car after purchase. Those were also Frye but 5" stacked heel harness boots so I chickened out trying on in the store. I've worn them out twice now with boot cut Wranglers. Ironically the 5" are wider than the 2" campus boots from the same manufacturer.

I dont think that they will ever make mens shoes other that maybe cowboy boots. I like to wear stilletos and i dont think that there will ever be heels like that made for men.

I'm still trying to determine if the whole heel thing is more enjoyable because it's pretty taboo or not. On the surface I'd say probably not, but I think subconsciously it might play a role. Not really sure yet, I'm pretty casual about it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the taboo plays an influential but not definitive role in my heeling. There are plenty of other things that are taboo that I have no interest in whatsoever. Also if there was no taboo around men wearing heels I would still enjoy wearing mine just as much. So I don't think taboo is the main driver for my wanting to wear heels.

However, the fact that some people make so many wrong assumptions about guys (and girls) wearing heels does make me feel like a bit of a pioneer (as we all are) trying to break new ground and there is a kind of extra buzz that brings. So I think that the taboo, or rather the desire to break it, has emphasized the importance of wearing my heels publicly, and the resulting desire to redefine peoples misconceptions about heels (and guys wearing them) does form part my my drive to wear my heels in public.

If you like it, wear it.

Would you cats still buy womens shoes if they made guys heels that were sexy?

Probably not, although if that were the case, who'd know the difference? ;)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

If they made cute heels for men, I would be all over it. Finding shoes in my size(12w) is a pain to say the least. I am also limited by my budget so payless, lane bryant and ebay are my options.

As for going in and buying them, I don't have a problem any more strolling in and trying on some heels in the store.

I would also like to get a pair of heeled snow type boots for winter.

-Nikki

What about target or khols? I shop there. a lot of times they have some nice heels. Check clearance sections of tj maxx also.

What about target or khols? I shop there. a lot of times they have some nice heels. Check clearance sections of tj maxx also.

You must wear a smaller size. The Kohls around me carry no size 11 anymore, and Target has very few. Too bad, as both used to be a good place to shop. Kohls has really pissed me off. I keep checking to see if they have restocked 11s, but no such luck. So I've pretty much stopped buying anything at Kohls. Stupid on their part if you ask me, but I'm not a retailer, so maybe there's things I don;t know.....