Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

Thighbootguy:-) Thanks again for being brave enough to wear thighboots outside your jeans with impunity. You are a leader there and there are a lot of us that wish we were only half as brave as you to follow in your foot-steps. (Pun intended). Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Sunday was another museum day. I was wearing my blue thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. After the museum I went shopping at Sam’s.

The whole time I was out it seemed I was getting more attention than normal. Several times people turned and stared and there were a lot more double takes. People seemed to have a look of stress when they went by, as if they were uncomfortable. Oh well, maybe my armor was a little thin, or there really was a different crowd at the museum, it wasn’t quite as much fun as it usually is.

I also noticed I was dragging a heel on the floor when I walked. I thought that was going to the 5” heel from the flat - 4” heel I had been wearing most of the week. I had to make a conscious effort to not have the heel touch the floor when my foot came forward. I also noticed I was walking more slowly and deliberately than normal. My sketches were poor to bad (normally there fair to good). I finally dawned on me --- you have the flu.

By the time I got home I was running a low fever. I took some Thera-Flu (great stuff) and went to bed. I’m feeling better now and considering ripping several pages out of the sketch book. AHHHHH I hate having the flu. I’m going back to bed. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz………

Dawn HH

I don’t think of wearing thigh boots as an act of bravery. It’s having armor thick enough to not to react to others. It’s all a head game. These are my boots, and I enjoy wearing them. But, as I have said over and over again, I am cautious about where I go when I’m wearing them.

Mickey S

The shaft of the boots in your avatar seem to be too tight (I’m sure they feel great) to wear over jeans. A boot that is not skin tight would be a lot easier. For me, once I got past wearing a stiletto heel, the boot height didn’t make any difference. The logic for stiletto heels thigh boots went something like this:

If the heel is visible, so is the shoe.

I like boots better than other shoes, so I’ll wear boots.

If I’m going to wear boots, why not thigh boots.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

... The shaft of the boots in your avatar seem to be too tight (I’m sure they feel great) to wear over jeans. ...

The material is sort of soft-stretch-leather. The boots are knee-high and they feel great!!! But even if they had a shaft to be worn over the jeans, then I wouldn't probably do that (yet) either...

CU!

-Mike

My WHITE boots arrived! I bought them from Bob and Angie on e-bay (great transaction). They were advertised as factory seconds that were not a bright white. They are more of a bone white or off white and I think they will be better than if they were bright white. I broke them is at Sam’s. I wore my tan suede jacket, black turtle neck, and off white slacks and the white thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. As I was shopping I didn’t get any reaction at all. One lady looked, smiled and went on, but she worked there. When I was done at the checkout I asked the clerk if these were too much for the season (and indicated my boots). She glanced down, back at me, then looked down, and I turned my foot so she could see the heel. She smiled and said, “I kind of like them”. The clerk at the door was giving me a cool look as I approached so I asked her the same thing and made sure she saw the heel. She also smiled (warmly) and said “I’d break my neck in those”. In the parking lot several ladies looked and went on their way. I think the boots and the slacks blended so well they didn’t make an immediate visual impression. You had to look to really see what I was wearing. I saw my reflection in one of the freezer cases and thought the combination looked good. Later that day I had to go to Portsmouth Ohio. Folks on this site have mentioned that people that are used to diversity are more accepting of it. Portsmouth is not used to diversity. I had to go to Lowes hardware. This is a big warehouse store like Sam’s. The parking lot was full of muddy pickup trucks with rifle racks in the rear windows. I wore my flat heel thigh boots. Several folks turned and stared. Nobody said anything though. Later I had to go back for an additional part. The parking lot didn’t have all the trucks so I went in with my black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. No one seemed to notice. Go figure. All in all it has been a fun day. I’m really looking forward to wearing my WHITE boots.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thighbootguy, Sounds like all went very well with the new boots. Some day you will have to get a camera so we can all see how the complete outfit looks. Wish I had the courage to be out wearing boots as you do, working up to it, but with all the good experiences you have had does help the rest of us. Thanks again for keeping us informed...Jim

Thighbootguy:-) Another great day in thigh boots for you. Congrats. You always seem to have a sensational time in your boots. I'm a bit envious sometimes. I agree with Jimnj3---it would be very nice if we could see some pics of you in your boots in public. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 2 weeks later...

I had another fine afternoon at the art museum. I wore cream stretch jeans, a dark turtleneck, and white thigh boots. I’m finally over the flu and was able to walk with a 5” stiletto heel with no problem. The jeans are high waisted, and the leg is tight enough to pull the boots over and the leg stays in the boots. It produces a very long looks which looks and feels great, close to what bootish has shown us in Stiletto jeans surface again. I wouldn’t wear those jeans without boots but they are exactly what I want with boots.

The museum has a large guard staff that rotates duty. I think a lot of them are part time. There are a few I see every time I am there and others I only see occasionally. The guard at the door (female) is full time and she gives me a big smile when I come in. We usually chat for a minute about what’s going on at the museum. While I was sketching, one of the guards (male) I hadn’t seen for a while asked me if I panted in gouache (type of water color paint). He said he remembered talking with me about it in one of the galleries several months ago. After a minute I remembered the incident and we talked about painting for a while. I’m sure what triggered him memory was that I had a gouache painting in my sketch book and not that I was wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels :) .

Today people seemed to notice my boots and seemed to be more puzzled than anything. There were no bad reactions but no really good ones either.

After the museum I went to Sam’s and went shopping without incident except for a nice smile from a lady in the parking lot. I really think most people don’t see past the shopping cart.

Looks like the images from bootish are not there any more but here is the style I am emulating:

Posted Image

Man this is so not fair ..... I think I live in the wrong country as down here in Australia I dont see many men in high heels. Mind you I have to admit that my first pair of heels were 5 inch PVC thigh high boots .... Taking out the garbage on a Tuesday night has never been the same since. There easy to walk in though I cannot wait to pay for my 6 inch Black Patent heels off ebay :)

Kerridwyn, I wouldn't say you live in the wrong country. I don't think there are many of us who see many men in heels. At least not yet. Where I live I haven't seen any other than myself. I am always looking and hope this fashion will catch on. Jim

Kerridwyn:-) So far I haven't seen any males wearing heels in my area other than a couple of pairs of cowboy boots. I would love to find one so that we could talk and exchange stories. So far, I'm the only one. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Well, I live in a major population center, and I haven't seen any men in heels either. I'm sure others like us are out there, they're just very discreet about their outings.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I left work at noon today (after having worked all night) and stopped into Biggs and Sam’s on the way home. I was wearing black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. At Biggs I got a real double take. The guy noticed my boots, looked up at me, his eyes got bigger, he looked back at my boots and heels, his eyes got bigger, and he looked back up at me, and he kept on walking away. I haven’t gotten one of those in a long time. In the checkout line there were several ladies behind me that were in their seventies. They didn’t say anything but they keep looking at my boots again and again. Everyone else just glanced and gave no reaction or didn’t notice at all. I really thing if I have a shopping cart, may people really don’t notice that I am wearing thigh boots with stiletto heels. Often when I go to Biggs, I don’t use a shopping cart and just carry a hand basket (I also spend less money that way). Sam’s was a typical wearing my thigh boots shopping experience. Hardly any reaction at all. Now that winter is here, it’s also cold that wearing thigh boots doesn’t seem as out of place as it does in the summer time. (I don’t believe that for a minute, but it sounds good).

Thighbootguy:-) A very interesting story. That was probably the first time that fellow has ever seen a man in thigh-high stiletto boots over top his jeans. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall while he is telling his wife what he saw at the store? Cheers--- Dawn HH

I stopped at Biggs and Sams on the way home last night and tonight. Both nights I was wearing black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. Last night was totally uneventful. As I was leaving Biggs a young kid in front of me noticed what I was wearing. He looked back ans down several times and it was hind of fun watching him process the information - "that guy is wearing high heeled boots" Tonight I stopped in the Goodwill (thrift store). I walked around the store for a while and as I was leaving I stopped at the shoe rack. Two women walked by one loudly spoke to the other, “Those sure are high, I’d break my neck on those heels”. I looked over and smiled and said “There fun”. They went on their way talking loudly about something else. When I was at Biggs, I wandered through the store. At the checkout, the cashier (young female) asked me, “Weren’t you in here last night”? I said I was and asked ,“Are the boots that memorable”? She looked at me with a puzzled expression and said, “I didn’t even see your boots, I just remembered you”. At he register the counter was blocking her view of my boots but…. I was speechless. This is the second cashier that has remembered seeing me in that store on the previous night. If I’m that memorable, my career as a bank robber is over before it started. I’m still not sure what astounded me the most, remembering me, or not noticing my boots. At Biggs and Sams when people would notice my boots I would just return a pleasant smile and generally got one back. I really do feel comfortable wearing these boots. I’m starting to think I can wear them anywhere. But I keep remembering don’t get complacent, pick your places carefully.

I ran across this article on Wearing Thigh boots

http://www.expressandstar.com/articles/features/women/article_68265.php

Substitute jeans for the short denim skirt and it could be for me except I'm way past 18 :) .

Nice article and picture. Thanks for pointing that out. Since I don't wear skirts I have little use for thigh high boots. I am not sure I am ready to try them on over pants, as you do. Once I tried on thigh boots in a shop, trying to get my pants over them. It as pretty hard, and must have been a good spectacle.

My part of the world is caught in the major winter storm that has hit the USA. There is a LOT of snow and ICE. We have 10”-12” of frozen white stuff and where I work got 22”. Considering a normal heavy snow around here is 4”-6”, the police are ticketing anyone they find on the streets. Currently it’s -2F (-19C), definitely boot weather. After the roads were clear enough to get out, I went shopping. I was wearing my black flat heel thigh boots but I took my pair of 5” white boots with me. After digging my car out, I drove to the store and put on my white boots while in the car out in the parking lot. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I realized the only thing that had any traction were the heel tips. My balance on heels is Ok, but I wasn't not going to try walking down a slanted ice covered parking lot in 5”, slick sole, thigh boots. This is the first time I ever thought “I’ll break my neck in these things”. I don't mind "breaking the ice" but not that way. My next step was back to the car where I put on the flat heeled boots. In the store I got a comment from a guy about my age, smartly dressed in a long coat, “Now that’s a pair of boots” (and a smile). I smiled back and said “Thanks” Everyone have a good Holiday season.

Well, as the old saying goes: "desecration is the better part of valor." So, even though you didn't wear the heeld boots that you intended, you also didn't break your neck from slipping on the ice while wearing them and you still solicited a positive (?) comment. (I wonder how that guy would have reacted had you been wearing your 5" stiletto heeled thighboots?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Some of the snow has melted, at least in the parking lots that have been cleared so I was able to venture out. My car was stuck again and I had to dig a path out so I started off with my flat heeled thigh boots. This snow was full of salt . If anyone has a way of cleaning salt crust off leather boots, or advice on the damage it does, please let me know. I went to the Art Museum and the parking lot and front steps were cleared so I changed into my white thigh boots with 5” heels. Please appreciate that each trip to the museum is a different adventure., there is always a different crowd, today there was a different guard crew. I was sitting on one of the little folding stools the museum provides for sketchers and working away. Several people stopped and watched me, commented on the sketch, and went on. These are low stools to start with and with my legs, now 5” longer, they are a little cramped. Anyway, when I stood up I realized my leg was asleep (no feeling). I quickly realized walking on a 5” heel was not an option. All I could do was to stand there until the circulation and feeling returned. At least in a museum standing still in front of a painting is normal. The museum has a visiting Monet exhibit. I just stood in that room for a long time staring at one of the “Lilly Pad” paintings and talking with some of the other viewers about the painting. In another gallery I was sitting on a bench and sketching away when a lady sat down beside me. She looked over and said, “Those are some boots. Where did you find them”? I had my legs under the bench so I’m not sure she had seen the heels so I moved one leg out so she could see the whole boot and said that I had found them on E-bay. A minute later she left. I think she had rested and the group she was with was moving on but she didn’t appear to be uncomfortable. Normally when I’m done sketching I leave but today I went on a tour of the rest of the museum. The 5” heel is comfortable but they do make a lot of noise. After the museum I went to a Payless shoe store. I had to switch to my flat heel boots because the mall parking lot still had a lot of snow/ice. I was looking at the women’s 12/13 shoes (which, in this store, are in the front of the store) and the clerk asked if I needed any help. I asked if a pair of ankle boots were on sale and she said they were so I tried them on. They had a 4” blade heel and a long square toe. I really didn’t like the look so I put them back and went on my way. Further down the mall was a shoe store so I went in and was looking at the women’s boots. Again, the clerk asked if she could help but I said I was just looking. There was only one pair close to my size and they were more expensive than I could afford at the moment. My next stop was a Thrift store, also in the mall and I wandered around looking for any boots they had. My last stop was a drug store where I wandered through and asked the clerks for help. I think I would have worn a heeled boot into the stores but not the white pair I had with me, at least not into the shoe stores. These boots have an ankle zipper are too hard to take off and put on to be changing in a shoe store. Either a pair of pull on for full length zipper would be better. All in all a great day, only positive comments and a few glances. Bubba136 and DawnHH I have no idea how the man would have reacted to my heeled boots. He seemed like a nice guy so I don’t think it would have been negatively. At best he would have said the same thing.

Wait for the boots to dry then soak a cloth in warm soapy water and ring it out so it's damp (you don't want to soak the leather because you'll just drive the salt into the leather) and wipe the boots. You may need to do it several times. Then rub in some good quality polish like Kiwi or Jewel then spray with scotch-guard. Do not use dubbin as it can rot the stitching.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thighbootguy:-) You sure did have a great adventure out in your thigh boots that day, and a full day at that. A very interesting read. Keep them coming. I enjoy your adventures in heels very much. Dr. Shoe:-) Your knowledge of what to do to get winter salt off of boot leather will sure come in handy during this season at least for one person---me. Thanks! Cheers--- Dawn HH