Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I stopped at Sam’s Club tonight on the way home. I was wearing my black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. No one paid any attention except one little girl who was about 9 years old and was with her mother and slightly older brother. I was in the checkout line when they were in a line near me. The conversation I overheard went something like this. “Mom…Mom can guys wear high heels”? “Mom… Listen to me, can guys wear high heels”? Her mother is doing her best to ignore her. “Mon he has on high heel shoes”. Her brother ended the conversation with the authoritative statement, “Those aren’t shoes, there boots”.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

That was a charming little interlude, thighbootguy! That's the thing about kids, they don't know enough to keep quiet about certain things and will always ask questions that, more times than not, will embarrass their parents. Just part of what makes wearing heels in public such an adventure! :P

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

JeffB:-) Having worked with children for so many years, I quite agree. Out of the mouths of babes.... During parents night each year, I reminded the parents that if they would believe only half of the stories that their children brought home, that I would believe only half of what they brought from home to the school building. It worked every time and things seemed to go much smoother after that. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Thighbootguy, dude, you did NOT do that in Portsmouth! :P Man, that was a bold move. I get down there for work several times a year for work plus have in-laws around there, and that is a flannel-and-workboot town! They look at me funny when I wear khakis. Nope, I keep my thigh-highs in the hotel room when I visit southern Ohio.

"It's just a flesh wound"

I stopped at Sam’s Club tonight on the way home. I was wearing my black thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. No one paid any attention except one little girl who was about 9 years old and was with her mother and slightly older brother. I was in the checkout line when they were in a line near me. The conversation I overheard went something like this.

“Mom…Mom can guys wear high heels”?

“Mom… Listen to me, can guys wear high heels”?

Her mother is doing her best to ignore her.

“Mon he has on high heel shoes”.

Her brother ended the conversation with the authoritative statement, “Those aren’t shoes, there boots”.

Hi TBG,

I just remember a similar episode. A kindergarden group was walking behind me on the street. Me on high platform boots in a more male style. I heard clearly the protesting question of a young boy: "The man is wearing womens shoes!" I didn't know at once any good answer. Hence I didn't turn around to give him an answer. I continued my walk secretely grinning. Today I feel that I behaved wrong. I should have turned around and should at least have tried to give him a convincing explanation!

micha (*a little bit ashamed*)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Well, that was sort of a natural reaction, being tongue tied as a snappy remark or less caustic response can be hard to come up with on the fly. I know that from first hand experience! Early on, I've been reduced to silence even when I was complimented, especially by strangers as it's not something I expect. But we all get over that silent phase and become chatty in time! :P

Since I wear my thigh boots while I drive to work, I have started stopping at grocery stores that are open that early to by yogurt and soups. It makes an inexpensive lunch and another opportunity to wear my boots.

verngentleheels

I have only found twp pair of thigh boots with western heels, neither of which come in pearly gray color. I wonder where he got them.

bluesman

I’ve worn thigh boots in Portsmouth Ohio several times. I have a post from Nov 3, 2004 that describes one of them.

mischa

If I overhear a question directed to someone else about my boots, the only reaction I can give is a smile and a nod. If the question is directed to me, “Are those women’s boots”, I reply “Their my boots” and that seems to answer the question..

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

you can get western heel thigh and crotch high boots from champion attitude boots out of el paso,texas. i have a few pairs...very nice but kinda pricey. i use the same line about the womens boots question. but i would say i get 99 nice comments to any one snide or rude comment when i wear in public. thighboots,do u wear when u r at work as well? thats about the only place i dont...other than family functions

mischa

If I overhear a question directed to someone else about my boots, the only reaction I can give is a smile and a nod. If the question is directed to me, “Are those women’s boots”, I reply “Their my boots” and that seems to answer the question..

Now that's just the right way to respond to such a question, thighbootguy. I always use the smae sort of response when strangers ask about the pumps I wear. It's amazing people still have that gender-specific classification hangup when it comes to clothes and shoes and who should wear what. Sheesh! I guess society will catch up to the rest of us eventually!

I went shopping at Meijer’s and Sam’s on the way home from work this evening. I was wearing jeans, a short sleeved collared shirt and black thigh boots with 5” heels. Both stores were busy but I was in a bit of a hurry so I didn’t just wander around like a normally do, I just went in and selected my items and headed for the register.

At Meijer’s the parking lot was busy but I hardly thought twice about getting out of the car which, for me, is the hardest part about wearing heeled thigh boots. There were several families and a group of young guys watching as I picked up a shopping cart and went into the store. I gave no outward impression that I was doing anything different that anyone else in the parking lot and no one said a word.

In Meijer’s several folks gave a bit of a glance as I was selecting items but that was all.

At Sam’s, I had an item to return so I wound up at the service desk twice before I got the transaction straightened out. Both times I left my shopping cart well away from the service desk so there was no missing my boots. Other than a few glances, there was no reaction at all but I was just a guy standing in line so why would there be a reaction? (At least that’s the image I tried to project).

In the checkout line, I had a cart with only two small items in the child seat of the cart and their was a lady in front of me with her arms full and no cart. I offered to let her put her stuff in the basket of my cart. The conversation went something like this:

“You can put that in my cart if you want to”.

(Looking to see if there is a shorter line) “I don’t know if this is worth the wait”… Oh Ok thanks”.

“Those cookies you have there are really great”

(looking at the package) “At 110 calories each I guess they are”. There for the baseball team I have out in my car.

…….We chatted about how busy the store was, her husband out in the car with the kids etc. After about 5 min the line had moved ahead by 2 shoppers I said, “Can I ask your opinion about something”?

“Sure”

“Are these boots too much for a guy to wear”?

For the first time she looked down and saw my boots. I turned my foot so she could see the heel. She paused, thinking, and I thought I’m going to get a politically correct answer, then she asked, “Are they comfortable”?

“Yes there very comfortable”.

“Are you comfortable wearing them”?

“Yes, I am”.

Another pause for thought. “They look nice on you”.

“Why, thank you very much”.

“I like to wear heels but their not comfortable to walk in”.

“I’ve found, especially with boots, that you should wear a size larger than your normal size”.

I’m giving advice to a very attractive lady on how to wear heels!

“Are those unisex”?

I turned my foot again and said, “No there a ladies, but their my boots”

“Oh I understand it’s just that most men’s shoes are wider. I wear an 9 and when I buy men’s athletic shoes I get a 6”.

“A 7 might be more comfortable”.

“I like to wear heels especially when I dress up but they make me too tall. I’m 6’2” with heels”.

I’m 6’5” with these.

The line had moved forward so she was checking out.

As she left she thanked me for the use of my cart and I said, “Your welcome and I really enjoyed the conversation”.

The clerk at the register knew me because I’m in there so often and we chat every time I see her, often about the reaction I get to wearing boots. I said, “I talked to her for 5 minutes and she didn’t even notice my boots”.

She just shook her head and we both laughed.

What a great shopping trip.

crotchboots-m

I keep my heel wearing away from work. The group I work with are great folks but heels would be too much for them. (These folks plan major system upgrades so they don’t conflict with deer hunting season).

I did find a pair of thigh boots with a western heel at 6 Inch Heels Forever and Pleaser’s style 8828 which does not come in a size above 11.

JeffB wrote:

It's amazing people still have that gender-specific classification hangup when it comes to clothes and shoes and who should wear what. Sheesh! I guess society will catch up to the rest of us eventually!

While it probably makes you feel good to say that, and perhaps it makes us all feel better because we belive likewise, the simple fact is that it's still us that is out of step -- not society. It doesn't matter how much we think it's society, we are deluding ourselves if we don't recognize that, in terms of socital identification, we are still the "misfits."

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

mischa

Hi Thighbotguy,

in my opinion we both are high heels punks. You much more than me because you like to discuss frankly with other people in the supermarket. I didn't understand why you refused my comparison with punks. I like people who dare to jump over this unvisible hurdle in our brain :P

By the way: All employees in my supermarket (Tengelmann) have meanwhile got accustomed to my heels. I'm customer since 20 years. Some cashier girls are looking striking often up to the mirror - definitely not because of suspecting me to be a thief (*grin*). I think they are simply curious about my newest heels :P

micha

I've had this happen to me too on different occasions, where some people don't seem to notice what your wearing on your feet, while some seem to take notice right away, its strange in a way too, but for the most part hardly anyone seems to notice my footwear, & I dont really have the time to even CARE what anyone may think as they walk by me (or me walking past them) as a matter of fact, if I DO see someone staring right @ my boots I just go on about my bussiness like always!! (I'm thinking to myself well if you want to stare @ a guy wearing heeled boots, like what do I care!!??) :P

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

While it probably makes you feel good to say that, and perhaps it makes us all feel better because we belive likewise, the simple fact is that it's still us that is out of step -- not society. It doesn't matter how much we think it's society, we are deluding ourselves if we don't recognize that, in terms of socital identification, we are still the "misfits."

Yeah, I know. Call it the "curse" of wishful thinking. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I went to a Kroger’s supermarket today to get a prescription filled. This means standing around in the store for about 20 min with nothing to do. I wore jeans, short sleeved shirt, and black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels.

The only reaction I got was from a guy. I started walking down an aisle and he was at the end of a the next aisle. He backed up and looked down the aisle I was in and commented to someone he was with, “I just wanted to see if I saw what I thought I saw”.

Jeffb

Micha

Buba136

If it were the people of “the society” didn’t want to express some differences, the acceptable clothing would be a uniform as it is in “military societies”. The problem we present to “the society” is that we are crossing the gender line when we wear high heels. The “military society” has written and enforceable laws about how you have to dress while “the society” only has accepted norms. I know of some “religious societies” that still won’t accept a women wearing pants. If she wishes to be a part of that society, she has to conform to the societies rules.

The reason I/we wear heels is because we want to be a little outside the accepted norms. It’s kind of fun getting noticed and I really don’t like to conform to all of societies rules. The attention we want is the kind given to celebrities that dress outside the norm (mostly contemporary musicians) who, for professional reasons, want to be noticed. I/we are expressing our desire to be individuals.

I suspect the different gender specific styles of dress goes all the way back to allowing the more aggressive of the species to easily tell the difference in the sexes thus making procreation easier. Today however, I suspect marketing has a lot to do with keeping men and women dressing differently. There is a buck /euro/pound to be made in satisfying our desire to be different from the norms.

What would I/we do if everyone (male and female) started wearing heels or thigh boots? I suspect I/we would find something else to wear that would be distinctive. I suspect I/we will never let society, as Jeffb says, “catch up to the rest of us eventually”.

tuckedintoboots

I’ve always thought black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels were a little hard to miss but some people really don’t notice. I guess If I wanted to be sure they noticed I would wear my white pair with dark jeans, but I do have a look that I like to present that keeps me from doing that. As Jeffb teaches us, clothing should be coordinated. People do seem to notice though when I wear thigh boots with shorts. It looks like those posts got lost in the crash so I’ll have to redo them.

When we dress outside the norms, we have to be aware of other peoples reactions. Although most have little or no reaction, some have more aggressive or violent reactions. When we do anything outside the norms we should never be complacent. In other words, we should stay on our toes :P .

Thighbootguy: Funny you should mention "military society" since I actually was in the military for twenty years! Heh! But your analogy was right on target, society has indeed been regimented into a narrow mindset regarding what clothes each gender should wear, and that anyone who steps outside those rigid boundaries is instantly labeled odd, strange, weird, you name your adjective.

But we, as heel wearers desire to push the envelope at every opportunity, to break free of the chains society shackled us with regarding the separation of clothing and gender, and yes, we do this to express our individuality. Perhaps my statement about hoping society catching up to us was in error. Clearly that's not gonna happen, so let's strive to remain, and retain our special brand of uniqueness!

Meanwhile, yes, it certainly helps to coordinate your clothing with your footwear, not just to look your best, but to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb. Some of us might not care one way or the other, but to others, being able to present a subtle, yet tasteful approach about your appearance is crucial. Always be mindful of your complete look, not just what you wear on your feet.

You get no argument from me, TBG. I wear my women's shoes because I just like to wear women's shoes. Especially high heels. However, I was just stating the truth...not endorsing the situation. Reading your posts, it seems to me that you go out of your way to call attention to yourself -- even to the point of asking people for their thoughts on your outfits if they don't take obvious notice. While, so far, you've only mentioned people offering comments that are neutral to mildly supportive. I would think, if truth be told, their "un-politically correct" comments would be much more severe and disapproving. But then, to each his own. I'm glad you like attention and I'm sure your courage and boldness will do a great deal to "dim" the stigma of men wearing womens attire. So, "keep on keeping'on!!!!!!" (Disclaimer:Lest you get the wrong impression, the above comment is given absolutely without critical intent. In no way am I being denuncatory.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffB

My military career was much shorter, 19 months and 3 day (Vietnam draftee) but it was enough to let me know it wasn’t for me. Some things about a military society are great but for me the negatives outweighed the positives.

Bubba136

I try not to pick and choose the comments I report. I have mentioned the occasional wolf whistle and shouted comments from moving cars (some of which were lost in the crash). For them most part the reactions I get are neutral to mildly positive. If I ran into too much negative feedback I would probably try something less obvious.

When I do take the opportunity to ask someone what they think of my boots, I really am interested in what they have to say (and how they say it). I wear thigh boots because I enjoy wearing them and I am curious as to how others see me.

Let me offer a short story that might explain why I ask people that they think of my boots.

By profession I am a computer geek and I work with IBM mainframe system and large Unix systems. Several years ago I took a computer graphics course and I had to use a Mac to do the work. I had never used a Mac before and I was having all kinds of problems using it. It wasn’t that the Mac was hard to use, it was that I didn’t understand what was going on when I clicked the mouse button. I bought a book on Mac assembler language programming and read enough that I understood how the system worked and what was really going on. After that, I had a great time in the class.

I really need to know how I am being perceived when I’m wearing thigh boots and the only way I know to find out is to occasionally askand I only do that when the opportunity really presents itself.

JeffB

My military career was much shorter, 19 months and 3 day (Vietnam draftee) but it was enough to let me know it wasn’t for me. Some things about a military society are great but for me the negatives outweighed the positives.

Well, the military clearly isn't for everyone. I've seen people crash and burn after considerably less time than you spent, so I can understand where you're coming from. Sometimes, I'm amazed I lasted in the service (Navy) for twenty years. In fact, the ten year anniversary of my retirement is in October! Overall, I'm glad to have served, it gave me a career, and, I got to travel the globe and visit all sorts of exotic places. It certainly didn't hurt that my timing was excellent as I enlisted after Vietnam, missed out on Desert Storm and left long before Operation Iraqi Freedom! Heh!

P.S.

What a coincidence! I've been a Mac user for eleven years now, and I couldn't be happier!

:P

I have just spent another fun afternoon at the museum. I thought I’d push things a little farther so I wore a dark short sleeved knit shirt, black suede shorts, sheer white panty hose (thanks for the tip JeffB) and black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. When I am standing, the shorts come just to the top of the boots. I have worn those boots enough that I can walk with full confidence and that REALLY helped me pull this off. By the way, this combination really feels great to wear. I had worn panty hose and jeans with boots several times but I had never worn just boots and panty hose before. The last time I wore shorts and boots I wore them over bare legs but the hose look and feel better.

As I was sketching one of the guards came by and commented that she hadn’t seen me for a while and was glad I was back. Another couple came by and commented (favorably) about the sketch I was doing. Lots of folks noticed my boots but no one gave much of a reaction one way or the other. Considering I was sitting on a folding camp stool in the middle of one of the main galleries, that says a lot for the tolerance of museum goers.

At the end of the afternoon I went to the front desk and asked if one of the curators would check a painting to see if it could have a better restoration process done to it. The lady sent me back upstairs with a comment form to get the exact name of the painting and to note the problem I had seen. I was glad I could walk with those heels with confidence because I had to walk quickly because the museum was closing.

I had a great time.

Jeffb

I was only in the Army for 19 months and 3 days because the Army realized that draftees returning from Vietnam with less then 6 months left on their enlistment were more trouble than they were worth and offered them an early out program. I was glad to take them up on it.

Another delightful story about your experiences in thigh high boots! Great stuff! I really do enjoy reading about your exploits. It's adventures like yours that gives others here the needed push to go on their own outings and have similar adventures. Many thanks for relaying your stories to us, thighbootguy! :P

The past two mornings I have stopped at Bigg’s on the way to work to buy some yogart and as an excuse to wear my thigh boots :P . I have been wearing a short sleeved dress shirt, black suede shorts, opaque black hose and black thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. I’m not quite happy with the look but I’ll keep tuning it until I am.

Since I’m only getting a small item I don’t use a shopping cart so there is nothing to block seeing what I am wearing. I really think people done see past a shopping cart. The reactions form others are stronger than I normally get. With a shoppinc cart, most of the time most people don’t see what I’m wearing but now there is little chance not to see. Most of the reactions are surprise and disbelief but so far nothing negative.

I am finding wearing hose very comfortable and with the added benefit that it makes putting thigh boots on and taking them off much easier. The boots with the ankle zipper fit my leg closely and these boots feel much more comfortable with hose. (Thanks again for the tip JeffB).

JeffB

Thanks for the kind words.

I am finding wearing hose very comfortable and with the added benefit that it makes putting thigh boots on and taking them off much easier. The boots with the ankle zipper fit my leg closely and these boots feel much more comfortable with hose. (Thanks again for the tip JeffB).

Glad to have been of help. It gives me a warm feeling when people sucessfully use my fashion tips! As for outfits, well, you'll just have to keep on experimenting until you find something that works best. It can take time, but in the long run, the resulst will be more than worth it. But I think you've got the right idea with wearing shorts with your thigh boots. Keep working at it until you put together a combination that suits you!

Wow, it's great to finally be able to jump back in this thread to see what's been going on. For now I've traded my thigh boots for something a bit cooler 4" blade ankle boots. I'll start another thread with more details as it really doesn't fit here.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I have worn black suede shorts, a short sleeved shirt, opaque black or sheer white hose, and black thigh boots with either 4” or 5” stiletto heels to the grocery every morning this week. There are too many people in the store in the morning but the only reaction I have gotten was a nice smile from one lady. That’s all. Most others glance and go on their way. The morning staff is used to seeing me and treat me like any other customer.

On the spur of the moment I bid on a pair of granny boots on e-bay and won them.

Posted Image

As soon as they arrive I’ll start another thread and let everyone know how it goes wearing them. I’m still thinking about the image to present but granny boots under jeans keeps comming to mind. If they are tall enough, wearing them over narrow legged jeans might also work. All suggestions are welcome.

Shafted -

I’ve been missing your posts. Welcome back. Your posts in New pair of boots starts me serious street heeling are great. It sounds like a fun place to work.

Thanks Thighbootguy. I think those boots are a great alternative for the summer months. They should look great with a pair of straight leg jeans. You might feel kind of exposed though without all that wonderful leather cladding your legs.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

On the spur of the moment I bid on a pair of granny boots on e-bay and won them.

Posted Image

As soon as they arrive I’ll start another thread and let everyone know how it goes wearing them. I’m still thinking about the image to present but granny boots under jeans keeps comming to mind. If they are tall enough, wearing them over narrow legged jeans might also work. All suggestions are welcome.

Ask, and you shall receive! Nice acquisition by the way! Judging from the picture, I'm guessing the heels are somewhere around 3 to 3 1/2 inches which is commonplace for most of the Granny boots I've seen. As for an outfit, you have the right idea with wearing jeans, I think flared or narrow legged jeans, paired with a black t-shirt would work well with those boots. Or, as another option, you could go all black from head to toe. I'm sure you'll be able to put together something nice. By all means, keep us appraised!

... I just dared my first outdoor walk with my white thigh high boots with tucked in white jeans and nobody saw me :P:D:o The bottle of wine was empty. Remembering to the wine box in the trunk of of my car I ogled with supply! But pulling off my overknees, only for going down to my car? And it's almost midnight. No! I have to confess that I was hoping to meet other people. I was curious about reactions - similar like TBG. At least I'm now a proud owner of a full bottle of wine :drinking: I'll repeat it :P micha

I know how you feel micha. I've been street heeling daily for long periods for over a week now and only a few seem to have noticed, but never said anything. This should be a great line for soliciting opinions that's not too obvious, "Hey, I like your shoes." Please keep in in mind that you have to mean it for it to work, so it would be a good idea to stay away from using it on people with ugly footwear. If all goes well they'll probably check out what your wearing and comment. I plan on using it myself as soon as I can find someone who is not wearing ugly footwear.