Thigh Boots in Public

Thighbootguy

I went back to the museum today and wore my black PL8890H5 boots. Three hours on a 5” heel, like I said before, be sure they are comfortable. Also, just to make it interesting, the main floor is all polished stone and ready to amplify the first false step. As I was walking in from the parking lot a woman looked me over and said, “I like your shoes, they really look nice”. I smiled, and thanked her and went on into the museum. The 5” heel made me aware how slick the floor was and I was determined not to have a misstep, so I carefully went across the main hall and up the stairs to the European gallery. Several people saw me go up the steps and than went about their business. I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around the museum sketching and just getting the great feeling of being around the art. Wearing my boots also added to the great feeling. One of the guards really didn’t want to acknowledge I existed but he was the only exception. I ran into one of the other guards I had chatted with the day before and he was glad to see that I had come back. We chatted about the are for a while and he finally said, “I really have to ask you about your footwear, that’s not the same pair you wore yesterday”. I said it was a different pair and that I really just wore then for fun. He invited me to come back again soon. On the way home I stopped into our local shop (The Thing Shop) that carries boots and “stuff” and found they were going out of business with all their “stuff” on sale. They had a pair of Pleaser 8826 thigh boots (flat heel) in a size 13. I normally wear a 14 in a heel but the 13 flat fit nicely so I bought them for $50 (including tax). And I did wear my PL8868H4 into the shop. They are a pull on style boot and since I was hopping to try on something I thought they would be easier. The parking for the shop is on a busy street and I had to walk from the car to the shop. On the way back to the car I heard my first negative comment, “Hey look at that guy” from somewhere up the street. I didn’t miss a stride and walked to my car. All in all, this has been one of the best days I have had for a long time. Bubba… This is Cincinnati. Most of the art community and certainly the museum audience are very conservative dressers. You see a few pair of baggy jeans and combat boots but for the most part, slacks and sport shirts. Mark Twain said, “When the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati, things always happen about 10 years later there”. I’m sure I presented a unique experience for the guards.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

You are doing quite well if "hey look at that guy" is the most negetive comment you've gotten :roll: I once heard "why don't you go home" from an older lady while x-mas shopping at FL's largest mall in Fort Lauderdale a few years back.. And once had threats of violence while giving my b-f a goodnight kiss as I dropped him off at his house. Although, my area's only about 5 years back :) Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 1 month later...

I went grocery shopping on the way home tonight and wore my black thigh boots with a 4” stiletto heel. I think the clerks at the store expect to see me wearing them. I wondered around the store as I usually do but as I was checking out, and chatting with the register clerk, I overheard a comment between two “good ole boys” (bib overalls and all) in line behind me. The comment was, “I sure ain’t never seen anything like that before”. Since the store stocks mostly standard items, I assumed he meant me. I glanced back and got two head shaking grins in response. I’m sure I’ll be a topic of conversation for some time to come and an used as an example of the decline of the moral fiber of the country. Other recent reactions have also been from men who seem a little angry or upset to see another guy wearing high heel boots. No one has said anything, but if looks could kill… Most women just glance and keep right on going or maybe smile, but the hostility seems to emanate from the men. I haven’t had any problems, but I am a little more wary around groups of men. Oh well, the warm weather prevents walks outside, or much activity inside. As long as the inside is air conditioned I’m Ok, but even then too much fast walking generates a lot of heat and becomes uncomfortable. I guess that means I’ll just have to walk slower.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I have been wearing thigh high boots in the privacy of my home for years. My wife knows I go downstairs to wear them. She is not very fond of the idea but she puts up with it. I have been going to this beautician for about a year now and really like how laid back she is. My big goal is to get the courage to walk in for a haircut with one of my pair of 5" thigh high boots on with pants over them. I know the heels will give me away but that might be enough to strike up a conversation with her about why I like to wear boots. This will be an indicator on how one person reacts. But maybe that will give me more courage in the future. What do you think?

Could be! However, there seems to be a trend around here... When someone wants to do something they know is off the beaten trail, instead of just taking it easy until others (family, friends, neighbors, acquaintences, hairstylists, etc.) are comfortable with the idea, they feel a compulsion to go hog-wild with the most radical solution possible. The underlying assumption appears to be that if others accept them when they're at their most radical, they'll accept them anywhere in between, or, alternatively, if they're rejected, it'll be because of how radical they were, and that's acceptable. Rejection for being slightly different cuts a lot closer to home. The typical reaction, however, while polite, will be proportional to the degree of difference. Little difference? Hmm... that's interesting. Moderate difference? Well... Lots of difference? Whatever... One thing people forget is that it takes time for people to get used to changes, particular in somene with whom they're familiar or intimate. This is why systematic desensitization works in eradicating phobias, and why the "sink or swim!" principle causes more harm than good, and only builds on their fears, instead of giving them time to get used to it. And most people do fear change, including changes in others. It's a proven fact. Thus, unless you already know the other person is 100% accepting of your heel wearing, go easy. Try a cuban heel first time in. If that works, next time in try one of those elevated heel workboot things. Keep upping the ante, but about one out of three times relax the extremism a bit, going with a lower, more casual heel. Over time, and coupled with good conversation, a positive outlook, and genuine caring for that individual (which is what this respectful approach is all about), that person will be your staunchest advocate! Walk in there with a 5 inch stilleto, totally out of the blue, however, and the vast majority of the time you will have alienated that individual. Naturally, there are exceptions (about which I've no doubt I'll hear), but on average, the response of this in-your-face approach will be more negative than positive - even if they're polite to you as a customer. Same thing goes for wives and girlfriends, guys - people need time to get used to a different idea, particularly one which they feel might reflect poorly on them in public. So be respectful of other's considerations and interests in you as a person... ...even if they're they're only your hairdresser! Subnote: I've worn 4" heels all over town here in Vegas. Then again, people come to Vegas expecting to see things that are different. They're not disappointed, either by myself or others (lots of piercings in strange places...). But when dealing with family, friends, and neighbors, I'm always conservative, usually either wearing normal flats, sandals, or, if in the company of someone who understands and accepts my background and my choice of style, a relatively moderate heel. So pick your battles carefully, folks, because you will not win them every time. Oh, sure, in all liklihood no one will ever stop you from wearing heels! But friends and close family is as important as anything in this life, and it's vitally important to understand and respect that - and work within the confines of social reality. If the only thing you want out of life is to strut in a stiletto, then don't let your own fears get in the way. But if you want others with whom you've developed some connections, friendships, relationships, etc., to accept you for your heel-wearing passion, then go easy - you'll eventually supercede where you would be had you just "let it all hang out."

As usual, Genebujold has the right idea and great advice. Start with a less aggressive strategy and work up to the more (socially) demanding situation. I love wearing thigh boots but I do (carefully) pick my places. However, if you are going to wear 5” stiletto heels so they are obvious, you might as well wear boots that are obvious (outside your pant legs)… and if you are going to wear boots, they might as well be thigh boots. There is other stuff to consider though; do your wife and your beautician know each other? The stereotypical image of a beauty shop or a barber shop is that it’s a great place for gossip. Sounds like a hard place to be anonymous.

This thought came to mind. Could it be that wearing stiletto thigh boots in public is so "out there" as a fashion choice that it goes unchallenged? It is to say I do not see women wearing such on the streets so I would have no comparison in my mind when I saw a guy doing so. I would figure these were women's styled boots but never have actually seen a woman in such to confirm this - just that they are marketed to women (and men). Thus they are really more a unique fashion statement than the more conservative, mainline heels that I like to wear and see women wearing. Of course, when I wear athletic shoes, no one says they are women's styled shoes, though virtually all the women I know wear such from time to time. The unisex start is still the one for me but thighbootguy's wardrobe is so unique I wonder if there are any comparisons. I doubt I will ever wear stiletto thighboots publicly. I will stick with fashions more like one would expect in the business world or out for an evening, but I admire those who say this is me and so what? Art musuems and museums, in general have taken a huge hit visitorship wise since 9/11. Your local museum is wise to embrace all visitors. Few people are required to go to a museum other than possibly for school field trip, so they value everyone who comes in their doors. Glad you have found such a welcoming place to be yourself, thighbootguy. i like museums a lot and this is one more reason to like them.

classic style high heel boots

• 2 weeks later...

I had a morning business conference in Indianapolis Indiana today and this gave me the chance to go to the Indianapolis Museum of Art www.ima-art.org in the afternoon. As I have written before I usually wear a pair of thigh boots when I tour a museum and I didn’t miss this opportunity.

There is a lot of construction going on at the museum and there isn’t any close by parking but they do have a shuttle running around the parking lots. I got to the parking lot wearing a pair of boots with 4” stiletto heels just as the shuttle was coming by. The driver looked a little surprised but he bid me good day and we talked about the construction all the was to the museum. I walked in and was greeted by a very cheerful lady who gave me directions through the museum.

I started my tour but after a few minutes realized I had left me reading glasses in the car and I couldn’t see the paintings. So I walked out and walked back to my car and got my glasses. While I was there, I changed into a pair of thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels. I started back to the entrance when the shuttle came by again. I climbed in, but this time there was a lady with her children in the shuttle. She gave a quick glance and that was all.

I want back in and spent the afternoon having a great time in the museum. One guard said “Hey, nice boots” and I really think he meant it. He asked if many people ask about them and I said some do and that I just wear them because I enjoy them. He said “Do what makes you happy” then gave me directions to the restaurant in the museum. I had lunch and then spent the next two hours walking around the museum. I chatted with folks about the art but no one said anything about my boots. A few glances but that was it.

As I said in a previous post, be sure the boots are comfortable and you can navigate a slick floor.

I present myself as a guy that is enjoying the museum, really getting into the paintings, and having a good time. I think that the fact that I am wearing thigh boots with high heels is so outrageous that people just let it go. Whatever the reason, they do just let it go.

When I left the museum I walked back to my car. I haven’t mentioned it was over 90F (32C). Looks like I can wear my boots in hot weather

Great story, Thighbootguy! Just the sort of report to give the newbies and shyguys the confidence they need, in knowing that if you can "get away" with that, surely they can push there own envelope out a bit! At our Birmingham UK Heel-Meet last autumn, Dr. Shoe wore a similar pair of 5" thigh boots throughout the meet and and around the shops, walking hand-in-hand with his wife Ruth. Hardly anyone gave an second glance! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

This thought came to mind.

Could it be that wearing stiletto thigh boots in public is so "out there" as a fashion choice that it goes unchallenged?

I think that is a pretty good assessment of the human psyche. In WW2, battleships were painted in 'razzle dazzle' .... bizarre patterns and colours which was intended to confuse observers as to what they were seeing. In effect their brains just edited out what they saw.

A personal example was some crew failing to see Gribbin Head daymark http://website.lineone.net/~swwcorn/polkgrib/polkgrib.html despite the visibility being perfect. They just didn't expect to see a huge candy-striped tower sticking out of the hill.

I try to project an image which isn't quite in line with male attire, so the effect with heels cannot be regarded as an ordinary guy wearing a kinky pair of heels.

Xa

I think that is a pretty good assessment of the human psyche. In WW2, battleships were painted in 'razzle dazzle' .... bizarre patterns and colours which was intended to confuse observers as to what they were seeing. In effect their brains just edited out what they saw.

A personal example was some crew failing to see Gribbin Head daymark http://website.lineone.net/~swwcorn/polkgrib/polkgrib.html despite the visibility being perfect. They just didn't expect to see a huge candy-striped tower sticking out of the hill.

I try to project an image which isn't quite in line with male attire, so the effect with heels cannot be regarded as an ordinary guy wearing a kinky pair of heels.

Xa

Indeed. The RAF experimented by covering the wing leading edges and nose of Whitley bombers with lights so that they became invisible against the sky. This proved to be quite successful against U Boats as they couldn't see the bombers in time to dive to safety!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

To nikkiHH.

I have seen many thighboot styles with chunky high heels (and platforms)on for sale shoe/boot web sites and eBay. Many are cheap, Chinese imports but am sure good quality ones can be found.

I found one site sometime ago, but cannot find them any more that offered a high quality leather thigh boot with a three inch tapered heel for those of us who just cannot or do not want to master 4" and up. Their address was: www.perfectstich.com Granted a tapered heel is not what you are looking for, but figure it illustrates there are variaions on the five inch stilletto out there.

classic style high heel boots

NikkiHH;

Jean Gaborit has several styles of boots with stiletto, blade, chuncky, and flat heels.

http://jean-gaborit.biz/

Just Boots also has styles with a chuncky heel.

http://www.justboots.biz/thigh.html

I have no experience with either vendor.

By the way I am planning to go on a week long business trip to Columbus Ohio. When I'm not working, guess what I plan on wearing. :roll: I'll keep posting as the week goes on.

When I left the museum I walked back to my car. I haven’t mentioned it was over 90F (32C). Looks like I can wear my boots in hot weather.

I remember when we first moved to Vegas from Colorado. We arrived around 11pm, and although It was mid-October, they were in the middle of a heat wave. The heat was absolutely stifling, even though it was "only" 94 degrees. After two days of hiding inside our air-conditioned hotel and car, the heat wave subsided, but we were seriously considering moving back!

The first summer was unbelievable, with averages of 104 degrees during the day, and peaks as high as 114. We again considered moving back.

The second summer seemed very mild by comparison, even though the weather stats said it was identical to the previous summer.

We had acclimated.

As a wearer of heeled shoes and ankle-boots only, can I ask the wearers of thighboots whether the major appeal lies in a) or B): a) The feel of the encasing leather (or PVC) against the legs and upper thighs? B) The excitement of knowing that the heel-hiding trouser legs are replaced by the boots' long shaft which leaves one's high heels publically fully exposed? Curiously yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

HOWDY ALL!!!! LONG TIME SINCE MY LAST APPEARANCE AND HOPE Y'ALL ARE DOING FINE. :drinking: TO "NIKKIHH", 1ST LINK IS FOR 3O" THIGH-HIGHS WITH 2" COWBOY HEELS. (GOT SALE GOING SO SIZING MAY NOT FIT YOUR SCALE RIGHT NOW, BUT KEEP CHECKING BACK AS THEY'LL GO BACK UP LIKE OTHER STYLES) AND 2ND LINK IS (IN ADDITION TO BEING A "SHOP" LISTED ON ON THIS SITE AND ALSO WHAT "DRESSHEELS" TOLD YOU ABOUT) A PAIR OF THIGH-HIGHS WITH 3" NEAR STILLETO HEELS. BOTH LINKS ALSO HAVE FLAT HEEL MINI-ZIPPERED (7") THIGH-HIGHS ALREADY RESIZED FOR THE GENTS WITH THE LATTER ESPECIALLY ADDING CROTCH AND CHAP STYLES (SEE RENAISSANCE AND CROTCH SECTIONS) ALONG WITH OTHER T/C/C 3"-3.5" HEELS AND ALSO A VAST ARRAY OF TOTALLY CUSTOM MADE BOOTS TO FIT EVERY FANCY Y'ALL CAN HAVE. TAKE CARE AND ENJOY!!!!!! :roll:

http://www.jaminleather.net/prodinfo.asp?number=B8828&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=6

http://www.afterdarkfashions.com.au/prod79.htm

Boots Rock!!!!

Well I made it to Columbus, and I’m staying at decent hotel. Registration was a breeze. I walked in the front door into a lobby full of kids and I thought “what a way to start” but no one said a word. When I went up to the desk, the counter hid my boots from the clerks but there was still a lot of traffic in the lobby. On my way to my room I had to take an elevator. The first one was full so I had to wait for it to return and road up to my floor with a bunch of folks. Everyone complained about the slow elevator but not a word about my boots. The hotel has an Internet connection available but I forgot a cable so I went back to the front desk to borrow one. The lobby was still full of kids. In the elevator going back to my room a lady told me there is a softball tournament going on (girls I think). So much for a quiet week. There is a nice restaurant right across the parking lot from the hotel. I went down through the lobby again (a coach must have said, “let’s all meet in the lobby”) and out across the parking lot to the restaurant. I went in and was seated in a booth and had dinner. There was only one strained look from a guy that had seen me in the hotel (first elevator trip). ). On the way back to my room the desk clerk finally saw my boots. I told him the Internet connection worked great. I should mention all this time I was wearing jeans, knit shirt, and black leather thigh boots with 4” stiletto heels. Heelfan; My answer to you question about the major appeal of wearing thigh boots is: yes (a and :roll:.

They serve a complementary breakfast at the hotel. I walked in and was noticed but by a bunch of coaches and parents (no kids). No comments and hardly a break in the conversation. Oh well, off to class. The class is business so I will be wearing regular shoes, but I changed in the car. After class I changed my shoes for a pair of black 5” thigh boots and drove back to the hotel. I was reminded of my caution about slick surfaces and 5”heels. Be ready when the carpeted floor changes to something hard. The desk clerks are starting to recognize me and I get a polite nod and smile, which I returned. I went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. Conversation took a minor pause when I walked in and had to wait to be seated. Two ladies were leaving and took a good look at my boots and gave me a very nice smile (not a laugh). Of course I returned the smile. I walked across the restaurant to a booth and had dinner. When I left I had to s\walk back to the parking lot. Some folks in the lot commented to each other, “Hey look at that guys boots”. This wasn’t shouted, just conversational, but it was the first comment I have heard. At dinner I was wearing a black turtle neck shirt, black slacks (the zipper went up the back but you couldn’t see that) and a black blazer with 5” heel thigh boots. I think the outfit looked kind of sharp, but that is a biased opinion.

It's true. You don't grow an extra head when you put on a pair of heels, all people who can be bothered to consider an opinion probably either think you're wierd or funky. They certainly don't consider you a threat unless they're coming out of a pub at midnight with six or seven pints inside them!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Breakfast in 5” heel thigh boots was uneventful. Folks looked up from their newspapers then back at their papers again. It looks like if I wear thigh boots like they were just my normal shoes, and present the front that “I always wear these”, most people are accepting it. On the way to my class I was wearing the same boots and went into two supermarkets. There aren’t too many people shopping at that time of morning but the folks that saw me had little or no reaction. I wore a pair of Mary Janes with a two inch block heels to class with jeans that covered none of the shoe. At lunch I dropped my pair of 4” heeled boots off a local cobbler for new heel tips. After class I discovered I had locked my keys in my car and had to get a locksmith to get in. My 5” heel boots were on the back seat. I switched to my royal blue pair of 5” heel boots to go back to the hotel. I get the impression the desk clerks are waiting to see what I wear next. I am always getting a friendly smile that seems natural (not part of the job). For dinner I will be wearing light blue jeans, black turtle neck, light blue blazer that comes down to my boot tops (ok, it has shoulder pads) and my blue boots. Dinner was at a small “family” restaurant. The waiter noticed my outfit (I think that means he wasn’t blind) and seated me in a booth. After I ordered I asked him if my boots were too much for the neighborhood. He took a good look at them and said he didn’t think so, “this is a pretty good neighborhood”. He looked like he wanted to try them on. We chatted on and off for the rest of the meal. Then I got back to the hotel, I wanted to go for a walk. I pulled on a pair of leather 5 pocket jeans, black turtleneck and black blazer with 4” heel black boots. As I was leaving the hotel by a side door, a group of the softball girls got the giggles. Ah there is strength in numbers. I was expecting it to happen sooner or later. The proverbial “peals of childish laughter” rang through the hall. When I came back into the lobby, I asked the female desk clerk if my boots were causing them any grief. She replied, “What do you care” and I said, “Well, not much but if they were I could back off a little”. I got a nice smile and she said, “Don’t worry about it” then a bigger smile and she continued “I kind of like them”. It still isn’t cool enough for the leather jeans. Guess I just have to settle for thigh boots. :roll:

Hey Thighboot guy, Wow, those are some really interesting stories you are telling there. It's great to hear the women at the front desk were supportive of you. Can I ask what part of Columbus you are staying in? The reason I ask is because my grandma lives in Columbus. Actually it's a suburb called Upper Arlington. Thus from my many visits to Columbus throughout my lifetime, I've learned a little about Columbus. Have you had a chance to go to the downtown area at all? There is a pretty big mall down there called The City Center. It has your usual retail giant anchor stores and last time I was there it was still upscale. It might be fun place to go heeling as there are multiple restaurants down there too. And on the way down High Street to downtown you could drive through Ohio State University (if you really want to test your courage). But there is one place between Ohio State and Downtown (on High Street which takes you all the way downtown) called Short North. Its kind of an artsy neighborhood and might be conducive to safe thighbootman heeling. How about the German Village also located downtown? Some cool cobblestone streets there to maneuver through. Oh well, just thought I'd shoot some choices past you, thats all.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Hey Thighboot guy,

Wow, those are some really interesting stories you are telling there. It's great to hear the women at the front desk were supportive of you. Can I ask what part of Columbus you are staying in? The reason I ask is because my grandma lives in Columbus. Actually it's a suburb called Upper Arlington. Thus from my many visits to Columbus throughout my lifetime, I've learned a little about Columbus.

Have you had a chance to go to the downtown area at all? There is a pretty big mall down there called The City Center. It has your usual retail giant anchor stores and last time I was there it was still upscale. It might be fun place to go heeling as there are multiple restaurants down there too. And on the way down High Street to downtown you could drive through Ohio State University (if you really want to test your courage). But there is one place between Ohio State and Downtown (on High Street which takes you all the way downtown) called Short North. Its kind of an artsy neighborhood and might be conducive to safe thighbootman heeling. How about the German Village also located downtown? Some cool cobblestone streets there to maneuver through.

Oh well, just thought I'd shoot some choices past you, thats all.

Small world!

I once dated (seriously, I might add) a gal from Columbus, and my cousin moved there several years ago with her hubby. Now they have a wonderful family!

Kneehighs; Thanks for the tour advice. My hotel is right up the street from OSU. My the resturants have been on West 5th. I am planning to go downtown to the the Art Museum Thursday night (only night it is open).