How many times have you seen other men wear heels in public?

The Shark

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every so often I catch a glimpse of guys wearing heels, but I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere and can't spare the time to strike up a conversation. I do see guys browsing the larger size womens shoes, at the local shoe stores, on a more frequent basis than previously: I have not spied any of them wearing heels while doing so.

RonC, I don't mean to be critical, but I want to use your post as an example. When we see another guy either shopping for heels for himself or wearing heels, even though you may feel awkward in approaching him and striking up a conversation, I think it's important that you overcome your shyness or inhibitions and forge ahead to introduce yourself: "Hi, my name is ____ and I see you like to shop for (or wear) women's shoes/boots/heels, too. I love them myself." And show him your footwear. That should break the ice so you two can get acquainted. He's likely to be as shy and reserved as you are. If nothing else comes out of the encounter, at least give him the URL of HHPlace so he can visit here and see what he's been missing (if he's not a member). We need to be ambassadors to the great unwashed masses and introduce them to this forum! Steve

RonC,

I don't mean to be critical, but I want to use your post as an example. When we see another guy either shopping for heels for himself or wearing heels, even though you may feel awkward in approaching him and striking up a conversation, I think it's important that you overcome your shyness or inhibitions and forge ahead to introduce yourself: "Hi, my name is ____ and I see you like to shop for (or wear) women's shoes/boots/heels, too. I love them myself." And show him your footwear. That should break the ice so you two can get acquainted. He's likely to be as shy and reserved as you are. If nothing else comes out of the encounter, at least give him the URL of HHPlace so he can visit here and see what he's been missing (if he's not a member). We need to be ambassadors to the great unwashed masses and introduce them to this forum!

Steve

I see where you are coming from, Steve, and appreciate your sentiments - but I can perceive some possible dangers in your approach, for example:

1. You will need to be pretty sure that the 'target' himself is indeed an actual or potential heel-wearer; his status may not be as clear as you think, even if he is wearing heels or other characteristic clothing.

2. You may have overcome your inhibitions but he may be petrified (or worse) if spoken to 'out of the blue' in terms quite as blunt as you indicate, however friendly your intro.

3. It may be unwise to give your name or any personal info unless and until you can yourself feel safe with the encounter.

I am not a regular public heel-wearer but, like most here, will look at and admire feminine shoes in the shops, especially if I see something that might (just might!) fit my large feet! But I should be concerned if another shopper assumed from just this browsing that I was interested in buying and wearing them myself and made a direct reference to it.

I suggest that a little more caution is in order. An introductory comment along the lines of 'I like those shoes - I wouldn't mind wearing them myself' will gently inform the browser of your interest but still leave him free to respond - one hopes positively. If he is not interested or fears your motives, he can show that with a minimum of offence or embarrassment to either party.

Maybe I have it wrong; what do others think about such approaches?

I'd favour a more cautious and unintrusive approach. If someone's trying a pair of heels on and checking them out in a mirror there's no harm in saying "They're nice!", or if they look torn between two styles "I like the blue ones better" or some similar open-ended remark that invites someone to have a conversation if they like, or they can just say thanks and that's it. Sure sometimes we let our inhibitions create "missed opportunities" and it's good to overcome that, but I don't think we should abandon our inhibitions to the point of intruding on other people.

If you like it, wear it.

RonC,

I don't mean to be critical, but I want to use your post as an example. When we see another guy either shopping for heels for himself or wearing heels, even though you may feel awkward in approaching him and striking up a conversation, I think it's important that you overcome your shyness or inhibitions and forge ahead to introduce yourself: "Hi, my name is ____ and I see you like to shop for (or wear) women's shoes/boots/heels, too. I love them myself." And show him your footwear. That should break the ice so you two can get acquainted. He's likely to be as shy and reserved as you are. If nothing else comes out of the encounter, at least give him the URL of HHPlace so he can visit here and see what he's been missing (if he's not a member). We need to be ambassadors to the great unwashed masses and introduce them to this forum!

Steve

Sorry Steve, but i can't go along with you here. From a personal standpoint, I really would not want someone to approach me if I was just looking through the racks. If I was obvious in trying things on, then I would have no problem with someone voicing an opinion or whatever. And as has been mentioned, one really can't be totally certain that he was not shopping for someone lese, and that situation could be sticky. You may have you own agenda, but I'll stick with mine thanks.

Puffer, Sleekheels, and RonC, I appreciate your comments, and I can see your point of view. I think I was careful to note in my post above that it has to be clear that the stranger in question was either trying on heels or wearing heels, so that it was obvious that he was a person that may belong on this forum or may already be a member. I guess my personality is less reserved than yours, and I have no fear of approaching strangers and starting up a conversation if it's obvious that we have in common a passion for heels. But to each his own, and I respect your opinions. Steve

Steve´s idea is basically okay. But I would not contact someone, who is just looking around the shelves. Maybe he has really a girlfriend, mother, neighbour whatever who is sick and can not purchase some shoes for the big event next weekend or whatever. Or he made a silly bet and is already worried about the shoes he must wear, if he looses. ... Or would you like to be asked for some personal desires/ ideas by someone, you never met before? The person you ask might get a red head, feel ashamed, blamed, ... maybe this will force him to stop shopping for heels in public or even wearing them. And this is not helpful either.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR SHORT HEELS!

I think Steve63130 and RonC make great points. Steve's approach is admirable and engaging from HIS perspective but could be very uncomfortable towards the intended person. This is why I'd agree with RonC on this one. As much as my inhibitions are mostly behind me I know that enough guys are still plenty terrified just to be in a store. I will say I don't buy the line that a lot of guys are possibly shopping for other people but quickly concluding they must be buying for themselves and then approaching them could turn counterproductive in a hurry. I suppose we should take a page from the woman's mindset here, since we are shopping for women's style shoes. Walk softly, take up as little space as possible, and be attuned to your environment. If an opportunity presents itself to say something positive or supportive but not intrusive then go for it. I know many of us would probably jump at the chance to engage another guy shopping for heels but this is where the power of true observation takes hold.

• 5 months later...

Not so often. I've seen a few, mainly around fetish-type events. I saw one guy at a gig wearing some high-heeled boots. I have had men confess to me that they'd love to wear the shoes I was wearing. I tell 'em I spent too long thinking that in life & if they are serious to give it a go.

I see this seems to be focussing on shopping. Mmm, I don't like stress when shopping. I tend to be an 'informed shopper' - find what I want, research, try & buy. I'm not so into sales patter, so I'd be a little circumspect about another person approaching me, unless it was a casual exchange of opinion. It has nothing to do with heels, I had this in a computer peripheral store recently as well, some guy was exhorting me to buy a particular type of printer. He wasn't staff, just another customer. I don't like shopping, just owning & experiencing! :smile:

I guess it depends on the location. While in San Francisco, I observed other men in heels. I guess this is the norm there. Where I currently live I have been the only one. Mostly because they are a more backward oriented society.

Recently, I have seen more guys wearing cowboy boots with a good heel (2 inch). They sure didn't buy them in the local shoe stores for average joes, I had a look in a number of them without finding any of these boots. Also I have seen a guy in beige suede flat overknee boots in Paris - in the biggest subway station- he looked confident, but I was not convinced by the overall look. A brown leather jacket and blue jeans would have more perfectly matched his boots.